• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria Import Thread - Turning Legends Into Hope

Bladenic

Recorded stuff, and recorded more stuff

Go Shiina is hilarious in person

cSv38tm.jpg

edit: whoops, actually that was from God Eater 2 session. For Zestiria we tracked two of the vocal songs. (At this point VGO has provided his music with like 6 different vocalists total hahaha)

who's the guy in salmon pants, he looks doable

Falk

that puzzling face
James Landino, aka KgZ (he doesn't go by that anymore though)

Was my buddy for all the sanic fan stuff, is currently doing a bunch of DJing/production on the side while working at Harmonix.

As an aside we have this joke- Q: How do you get your foot in the door working on Disney stuff? A: start with sanic fan games - between Kingdom Hearts and Fantasia I'd say it's a proven method hahahah

Cool! So much video game talent lurks secretly in these forums it seems. Did you happen to work with Motoi Sakuraba or at least meet him to co-ordinate the "sound" of the game?

Not this time around. Shiina called the shots on his stuff, and they coordinated internally.

Bebpo

Banned
I think one problem I have with this game is that generic dungeons are certainly generic. Once you've done one plain brown cave, you've done them all. Same with temples and stuff. I think making each area completely unique would've done a lot, but I guess that's a budget thing. Still glad there's a lot of dungeons, fields, towns/cities in the game. Feels like a big Tales world as opposed to something like Graces with 3 towns and a few dungeons and that's all.

Can i Cry too at how STUPID the equipement and skill system is ?

I'm baffled ... feel tedious for no reason i'm still playing hoping it opensup , but that's it , isn't it ?

I even checked a japanese wiki to see what was in stores( skills behing the ???? ) but ..it feels hollow.

As for the equipement system , so i have EQUIPMENT 1 , i have 2 stars on it already ... then i get EQUIPEMENT 2 that is roughly the same but with slightly different stats and 1 more skill , so EVERYTIME i need to synth if i want to keep those bonuses ?

That's ...not a good idea ... that's boring ..

Bebpo

Banned
I like the equipment skill system. It's not simple and streamlined and easy, but instead it's quirky and oddball and you get to experiment with all kinds of skills and if you're super hardcore you can grind and fuse and make the perfect skill set equipment, but if you don't really care you can just play around with a whole variety of minimally helpful skills.

I mean lets be honest, the "real" traditional Tales skill system is still in there as battle actions. The equipment skill system is just an added bonus for some extra perks and just because you can't dominate it and get everything you want doesn't make it necessarily bad imo.

This system really screws over people trying to be a perfectionist and getting exactly the skills and equipment stats they want. But maybe it's a good thing, because life's not perfect and sometimes you just gotta go with the flow.

Shouta

Equipment and Skills are great. It's definitely refreshing to be involved in something in a Tales game other than punching things. I'm really digging buying equipment and fusing them into things I want. It's a little time consuming but very satisfying getting a super good piece of gear. I just completed the second
of the elemental dungeons, Edna's,
and I've got everyone up in the 300s per stat with a load of skills. The first union bonus really doesn't cut it anymore so I'm just loading it up on BG and SC increasing stuff, lol.

The big thing to remember is that not all gear in the slot raises the same stats. You can get a head piece that raises defense and spell defense or physical attack so you gotta find the stuff you want and then stick with it. =o You can also eventually evolve them or something after getting them to +10 if you have a high enough level with the God protecting the area.

Kysen

edit: whoops, actually that was from God Eater 2 session. For Zestiria we tracked two of the vocal songs. (At this point VGO has provided his music with like 6 different vocalists total hahaha)

That God Eater OST cant come soon enough!

Falk

that puzzling face
Oh, there are actually plans to do something about the discrepancies in styles and resources? *gets hopeful*

Don't quote me on this, but I wouldn't know about that. In terms of style, I think Shiina's stuff is a breath of fresh air and very reminiscent of Legendia. In terms of resources, Tales games have gargantaun amounts of music and I'm not sure if Bandai Namco would ever be willing to budget tracking -everything- with full live orchestra.

Then again, God Eater 2 went the full 9 yards tracking full orchestra and full choir (including getting Sachiko Miyano for orchestration) and that was for a handheld game.

Who knows going forward.

Datschge

Don't quote me on this, but I wouldn't know about that.
Oh, I'm not holding my breath and being realistic I fully agree with you. Which is why I, as a longtime Sakuraba fan who regularly lambasted Namco for never giving a bigger music budget to Tales games outside of Legendia, honestly feel Shiina's involvement in Zestiria is a bit of a troll. Coming in with his own music not even trying to fit into the style Sakuraba had to adhere the whole series, while again having access to full armies of musicians compared to the zero Sakuraba got for Tales up to now (excluding the Abyss anime which imo is the best Tales score by Sakuraba due to that). The OST appears to conveniently separate his music onto an own disk as well.

I agree music in the Tales series can use plenty of fresh air. One of Shiina's dungeon tracks wouldn't be misplace along Sakuraba's Baten Kaitos compositions so I sure hope the next Tales game takes more after that style, with both composers getting access to the same resources. And I honestly hope vocals then get used somewhere else than in
noisy battles, cutscenes with plenty talk, and the ending staff roll that in Tales games traditionally featured instrumental/orchestral arrangements of the OP
. But at the moment I feel this may well have been Sakuraba's last involvement with a Tales game. /rant

Bladenic

What I've heard of the music, Sakuraba's involvement here doesn't sound bad at all. But him taking a break from Tales in favor of Shiina would be a good thing imo. The tracks I've heard done by Shiina are amazing, especially the elemental dungeon themes.

Kain

Soooo we know the game has some bugs and such, but how is the framerate? Xillia's performance was horrible at times, does Zestiria suffer the same issues?

Peff

FINALLY, and boy, people weren't kidding about the jaggies. The presentation is really nice otherwise though, it's just too bad Persona 5 looks so stylish it overshadows what they did here, haha.

Bebpo

Banned
I wonder what kind of TV people are using for jaggies? I'm playing on a plasma and the lack of AA isn't that bad. Most games are worse tbh and it doesn't bug me at all. I'd imagine on an LCD it'd be a lot worse though.

The lack of AF is the only graphical thing really noticeable besides lack of color in some areas. I still think it's a pretty nice looking Tales game on par with something like Abyss.

kiryogi

Banned
First thing I thought when I loaded this game up, good fucking lord is it ugly. Like worse than Xillia. But I understand the compromise for them finally achieving a vision they've been wanting to since Vesperia. I definitely would appreciate a PS4 rerelease later down the road.

RPGCrazied

First thing I thought when I loaded this game up, good fucking lord is it ugly. Like worse than Xillia. But I understand the compromise for them finally achieving a vision they've been wanting to since Vesperia. I definitely would appreciate a PS4 rerelease later down the road.

Sub HD with no AA?

Datschge

I wonder what kind of TV people are using for jaggies? I'm playing on a plasma and the lack of AA isn't that bad. Most games are worse tbh and it doesn't bug me at all. I'd imagine on an LCD it'd be a lot worse though.
May be a matter of contrast setting. Aliasing looks very bad very fast once contrast is being increased.

RPGCrazied

So why does this game have a 1 star on amazon? is it seriously that awful?

I think its cause of the character dlc or something.
The main female in the game isn't playable for half the game? Then a dlc is coming out that has more of her in it? Something like that.

They also released a patch to
remove all the text that refers her as the main female to piss more players off.

They also removed such a reference from her upcoming figure too, lol

Then again, I really buy the whole theory that this was due to terrible communication between the developers and the marketing team.

Bebpo

Banned
The people upset by that come across like 5 year old children. Why don't people let the game tell the story it wants to tell. It's like everyone giving FF7 1-star because Aerith dies part-way and they all thought she was going to be the lead female character for the entire game from early trailers/previews. It's actually exactly like that, and it's just as silly here to be upset by. I want rpgs to be able to ditch playable characters for story purposes and not be held back by crying fanboys.

Well, that is disappointing. Guess it'll never be like the PS2 days again.

No way, there's so many visual mods for the characters in the actual game for free found in treasure chests all around that reward exploration. I'm actually really impressed by the amount of costume items there are in-game and not charging $$$ DLC money for. There's a ton of DLC, but there's also a ton in-game so you don't feel ripped off.

I haven't paid a cent for DLC and my characters look like crazy weirdos.

I think Namco is getting better at handling DLC without pissing off fans. Like for Super Robot Wars Z3 part 1 there was $30 of DLC missions to tell the full story. Now Part 2 gives the DLC missions for free with first print copies.

Shouta

It's almost assured that the marketing team went nuts and decided that themselves. Looking at the story composition, she's an important figure in the background of the storyline and you often interact with her but she's definitely not written to be the main heroine or a very integral part of the group in regards to dynamics.

Falk

that puzzling face
while again having access to full armies of musicians

Don't take this the wrong way, but Go Shiina is surprisingly up to date on latest sample libraries, etc. A -lot- of Japan's composers and sound guys stick with what they're very familiar with (East West in many high-end cases) while Shiina and I can converse about things like Cinebrass or Vocalisa (Bulgarian women's choir library, which came out last year. Shiina is a huge fan of the style) so that's also a huge factor in his sound when on a more conservative budget.

FSLink

Banned
No way, there's so many visual mods for the characters in the actual game for free found in treasure chests all around that reward exploration. I'm actually really impressed by the amount of costume items there are in-game and not charging $$$ DLC money for. There's a ton of DLC, but there's also a ton in-game so you don't feel ripped off.

Attachments are nice and all but it's sad we'll never go back to Vesperia PS3 days. That had tons of nice customization. :3

Sandfox

The people upset by that come across like 5 year old children. Why don't people let the game tell the story it wants to tell. It's like everyone giving FF7 1-star because Aerith dies part-way and they all thought she was going to be the lead female character for the entire game from early trailers/previews. It's actually exactly like that, and it's just as silly here to be upset by. I want rpgs to be able to ditch playable characters for story purposes and not be held back by crying fanboys.

I haven't paid a cent for DLC and my characters look like crazy weirdos.

I think Namco is getting better at handling DLC without pissing off fans. Like for Super Robot Wars Z3 part 1 there was $30 of DLC missions to tell the full story. Now Part 2 gives the DLC missions for free with first print copies.
Attachments are not the same as costumes at all. This is the same as the original Xillia and that's where the costume situation got bad.

Aeana

Yep, that's actually a really good comparison.

R0ckman

Yep, that's actually a really good comparison.

That's what I don't get, no one complained about
Leon Magnus, hell he got his own game and still ended up dying halfway through it, they didn't even care to offer a what if scenario, actually,
it was with that game that I started getting worried about the direction of Tales in terms of milking.

FSLink

Banned
Attachments are not the same as costumes at all. This is the same as the original Xillia and that's where the costume situation got bad.

Actually attachments are more limited in this game too lol, so in some ways it's worse than Xillia 1.

Leon Magnus, hell he got his own game and still ended up dying halfway through it, they didn't even care to offer a what if scenario, actually,
it was with that game that I started getting worried about the direction of Tales in terms of milking.

He's literally one of the most popular characters ever of the Tales franchise. I'm sure fans were just overjoyed to get more Leon. :p

Of course, I'm sure how marketing was done for that case and marketing done for this case were totally different stories.

The only part of the game I've seen is that one episode OVA and if you told me she wasn't the main female character I'd totally be like 'you're full of shit, no way'. So I can understand how some people feel misled/disappointed.

Recorded stuff, and recorded more stuff

Go Shiina is hilarious in person

http://i.imgur.com/cSv38tm.jpg[/img

edit: whoops, actually that was from God Eater 2 session. For Zestiria we tracked two of the vocal songs. (At this point VGO has provided his music with like 6 different vocalists total hahaha)[/QUOTE]

Man someone needs to update Go Shiina's wiki, I spent like 20 mins wondering where I knew him from before I remember kyosogiga, but it's not even mentioned on his article.

R0ckman

He's literally one of the most popular characters ever of the Tales franchise. I'm sure fans were just overjoyed to get more Leon. :p

Of course, I'm sure how marketing was done for that case and marketing done for this case were totally different stories.

Well, I have the original PS2 game and sharked him back in, they were originally planning on branching the story to keep him alive, he had some unique dialogue for dungeons that he was dead by the time they'd be in, including the trash mountain dungeon and the swordian cave, and in the last dungeon when the team decides to split up there is room for everyone including him and Lilith in the gathering scene, if he is in your party he appears.

Bebpo

Banned
Actually attachments are more limited in this game too lol, so in some ways it's worse than Xillia 1.

I dunno, I mean I've got some pretty interesting ones that really change the visual design of the characters. Combine 3 of them and you can dress up your characters in all kinds of ways. I didn't play Xillia enough to see how varied the attachments were in that one.

I should take a picture of my win screens one of these days, it's pretty lol

I admit they aren't "full costumes" like the old days, but they're aren't small attachments like keychains or belts or something. There's some fairly drastic items and you get a lot throughout the game as nice rewards for exploration. I'm totally ok with having these be free in-game rewards and saving the full out costumes for DLC. Costumes were nice bonuses in the old games and cute additions, but it's not a big deal and I'd rather they charge for costumes than cut something else that's actually important out and sell it separately.

FSLink

Banned

Eh I remember some people complaining about
Leon. The Leon's side mode in Director's Cut was such a cop-out. Plus Irony of Fate needs to die. So overused and it was one of my favorite boss themes back then.

Top Bottom