• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria Import Thread - Turning Legends Into Hope

anyone else going for platinum?

I don't have the game yet but of course I'll be going for it...I have all the others on PS3 and I'm working on those for Vita when I have a bit of time.
I won't let Zestiria be the only one I didn't get :D I'll even try to go for 100% but that depends if I actually have the time to farm
Grade Points.

there are 2 trophies that make no sense and no one really knows how to get them, thoough some people already have...

starting to piss me off trying to get them.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
All you people saying that the opening is bad are crazy.
I bought it on itunes and am listening to it on a regular basis. :p

Falk

that puzzling face
there are 2 trophies that make no sense and no one really knows how to get them, thoough some people already have...

starting to piss me off trying to get them.

So-Youre-Telling-Me-Theres-A-Chance-Dumb-and-Dumber.gif

Soriku

Yeah I'm not sure if they don't like the singing, or just don't like the rock music, or thinks it doesn't fit Tales as well as past songs, or what...

This is one of the best OP songs easily.

Yeah I'm not sure if they don't like the singing, or just don't like the rock music, or thinks it doesn't fit Tales as well as past songs, or what...

This is one of the best OP songs easily.
Same here its really a refreshing change of pace. Really sets the mood for a very kickass adventure. The soundtrack in general, from what I've heard of it online, is excellent. I even decided to pre-order the limited edition of the soundtrack from CDJapan. Everyone at least agree that this dungeon theme is great?
I really like the cast for the game so far. Really good.
Are they great because of lots of character development/depth or is it just because they're all an enjoyable bunch?

I keep on feeling like importing this, but I wouldn't understand nearly enough of the Japanese to not just be spoiling things for myself story-wise (like seeing obvious stuff without proper buildup, character deaths etc.). I'm in the middle of second year college level Japanese, and am fairly fluent in regards to basic stuff, but I just don't have the vocabulary or Kanji recognition to "get" the story yet. I'm impressed I can pick up things alright in ToV PS3, but I have the context from the Xbox version.

I've also been restless since Namco set doubts that there would be a PS4 release by the time the international localizations are made. I mean, I'm worried they won't make it for PS4 in the first place, but what if they release the PS3 version in the US, then make a "complete edition" on PS4 for Japan only.

Basically, I want this to end up like the situation with Graces f and not Vesperia PS3. I'd rather they delay the international release a whole year for a possible "complete edition", then only ever get the original release.

Edit:

Ergh. I actually had a pretty patient mindset for all of the games coming up in 2015. Like, for MGSV, "eh, it'll probably be out before July is over, I can wait", for LoZ WiiU "I don't even have a WiiU yet, ha", Persona 5 "It is going to be amazing, but I can wait until even November". But when a game comes out in one region, with a language I kind of understand, with such uncertainty surrounding it, it sets my whole 2015 patience out of whack. It was almost like a New Year's resolution, just let time flow as I work on my studies, but now I feel like I can't be that calm, at least with this game.

And what are the trophies? I'm going for the platinum but I've yet to beat the game :p

I'll put them in spoilers, in case someone wants to go in blind. But, these do not contain any story spoilers.

多重憑依者: The description says "fighting many battles using many characters." But, does this mean changing characters in the middle of battle? Do I have to start the battle with them, or end it with them? Does it count time/enemies killed/battles won per character?

アイテムアツマッタ―: "Collect many items, mainly equipment". We know it has nothing to do with 発見装備品数 in the library, because people who have gotten this trophy all have different numbers there. So, is it how many I have bought/received total? How many I have right now? Does selling them reset the counter?

If you have gotten these, PLEASE tell me how you did it. I'm dying here...

Glad i'm not alone thinking some trophies descriptions are crap.

The instant i viewed the trohy list i thought ...no way' i'm going to plat this game.

Still enjoyable adventure regardless...

Glad i'm not alone thinking some trophies descriptions are crap.

The instant i viewed the trohy list i thought ...no way' i'm going to plat this game.

Still enjoyable adventure regardless...

More than that, I hate how incomplete the Record section is.

In Xillia 1/2, you could view all kinds of info, like how many enemies you killed, how many times you used a skill, etc and how many more to go for a trophy. The trophies were still tedious, but at least you knew how much longer to go.

This game has none of that info, so everything is/was a guessing game.

EDIT: Zestiria also has how many times per skill and such, but no goal is listed. Also, some trophies which SHOULD have some kind of listing/counter (like the stones) don't, which is stupid.

3Kaze

I'll put them in spoilers, in case someone wants to go in blind. But, these do not contain any story spoilers.

多重憑依者: The description says "fighting many battles using many characters." But, does this mean changing characters in the middle of battle? Do I have to start the battle with them, or end it with them? Does it count time/enemies killed/battles won per character?

アイテムアツマッタ―: "Collect many items, mainly equipment". We know it has nothing to do with 発見装備品数 in the library, because people who have gotten this trophy all have different numbers there. So, is it how many I have bought/received total? How many I have right now? Does selling them reset the counter?

If you have gotten these, PLEASE tell me how you did it. I'm dying here...

For the first one it definitely sounds like switching mid battle because they're talking about the battle act in the description. But yeah it's tough to get them if you don't know the requirements. I'm not really in a hurry but I'll try switching - hitting and see how it goes.

For the first one it definitely sounds like switching mid battle because they're talking about the battle act in the description. But yeah it's tough to get them if you don't know the requirements. I'm not really in a hurry but I'll try switching - hitting and see how it goes.

That's the latest guess floating around: Battle start -> hit -> change -> hit... with all 4 characters in current party, then end the battle. Seems doing that for 50 battles is what does it.

I've tried everything but that, so tonight after work I'm gunna give it a shot. Lemme know if it works for you.

So far, still haven't gotten the trophy.

I don't mind tough trophies, but I absolutely hate ambiguous ones... I'm just wasting my time, honestly.

Hey, I just noticed, if the OVA for Zestiria is included in the game, does that mean it will be the first Tales of material outside of the games that is voice acted in the localizations? Either that or they cheap out by not including it or just subtitling it. What do you guys think are the odds that they decide to localize it as well?

Hey, I just noticed, if the OVA for Zestiria is included in the game, does that mean it will be the first Tales of material outside of the games that is voice acted in the localizations? Either that or they cheap out by not including it or just subtitling it. What do you guys think are the odds that they decide to localize it as well?

Actually, the Tales of Phantasia OVA was dubbed when it was released here.

The Tales of Vesperia movie was also dubbed too.

I see no reason why they wouldn't include and dub the OVA for Zestiria, unless they get lazy or something.

Actually, the Tales of Phantasia OVA was dubbed when it was released here.

The Tales of Vesperia movie was also dubbed too.

I see no reason why they wouldn't include and dub the OVA for Zestiria, unless they get lazy or something.

Oh yeah, forgot about Vesperia's movie. Didn't know about Phantasia's though, kind of strange, since that was probably the only work as those characters those voice actors did, right? The only official localization of Phantasia is still the GBA game, so were they contracted to promote that, or did they localize it independent of any version of the game?

Oh yeah, forgot about Vesperia's movie. Didn't know about Phantasia's though, kind of strange, since that was probably the only work as those characters those voice actors did, right? The only official localization of Phantasia is still the GBA game, so were they contracted to promote that, or did they localize it independent of any version of the game?

I believe so. Everyone's favorite JYB voiced Cless in the OVA and Liam O'Brien ended up voicing him in Radiant Mythology. I'm guessing they kept him the same in Xillia 2?

I would say the OVA was licensed independently. They came out within a year of each other, but I doubt Nintendo/Namco was really looking into cross promotion for a game they used spell check on. :p

Shouta

I think the most underappreciated change in Zestiria is that in skits, they add a lot of extra art to make it more lively and show what's happening a bit more. Adds a lot more personality to them. Makes sense since skits aren't as rampant as other Tales games but I would like to see them more.

I haven't been able to play the game in just about a week now. :(
Sigh. Want to play.
Why's that?
I believe so. Everyone's favorite JYB voiced Cless in the OVA and Liam O'Brien ended up voicing him in Radiant Mythology. I'm guessing they kept him the same in Xillia 2?

I would say the OVA was licensed independently. They came out within a year of each other, but I doubt Nintendo/Namco was really looking into cross promotion for a game they used spell check on. :p
To be fair, spell checking is always good, just with a human, not Microsoft Word, right? :)

That was speculated to be the reason "Ragnarok" turned into "Kangaroo" if I'm not mistaken. Yeah, here it is. Pretty dumb that it actually got released with such a silly mistake.

artsi

First impressions:

* Sorey beats Jude
* Music got a ton better
* Artwork and style is nice, graphics seem low resolution, even less than 720p? Not a big issue though.
* Story is interesting

Only real negative for now:

Alisha > Rose, I'm sad to see her go :(

Overall I'm enjoying this more than Xillia so far.

Way too busy.
That's too bad. I myself only have time to game in very short breaks on my Vita these days. I haven't gotten very far in anything for a while. Still, when I can play something, it is all the better for the wait.
First impressions:

* Sorey beats Jude
* Music got a ton better
* Artwork and style is nice, graphics seem low resolution, even less than 720p? Not a big issue though.
* Story is interesting

Only real negative for now:

Alisha > Rose, I'm sad to see her go :(

Overall I'm enjoying this more than Xillia so far.

Cool to hear it. Are you comparing to Xillia when it came out in Japanese, or the English release? Just curious. Oh, and if you learned Japanese as a second language, how long would you estimate it takes to understand games with decent fluency. I can pick up a few things in Vesperia PS3, but I have prior context. Kanji recognition is important, but since a lot of stuff is voiced these days, I'm more interested in how long it takes to build up enough vocabulary in general. I've got a good hold on grammar, just don't know nearly enough words. :|

Edit:
Oh yeah, for those far enough to have this skill, how useful is
"Free & Free"? Apparently it turns free run on at all times, and I've heard some people say it is pretty useful to fix the camera wonkiness. It seems like it would be weird to be free running all the times, and I can really wrap my head around how you would even use artes or dodges properly, but people say it helps. I can't find any videos of it, so I thought I'd ask here.

3Kaze

So far, still haven't gotten the trophy.

I don't mind tough trophies, but I absolutely hate ambiguous ones... I'm just wasting my time, honestly.

I still haven't either after over 100 battles, I'll just wait for more concrete information :p

I reached the
water temple
and it's the worst dungeon ever :(

artsi

Cool to hear it. Are you comparing to Xillia when it came out in Japanese, or the English release? Just curious. Oh, and if you learned Japanese as a second language, how long would you estimate it takes to understand games with decent fluency. I can pick up a few things in Vesperia PS3, but I have prior context. Kanji recognition is important, but since a lot of stuff is voiced these days, I'm more interested in how long it takes to build up enough vocabulary in general. I've got a good hold on grammar, just don't know nearly enough words. :|

I played Xillia in Japanese too after trying the localized version. Only because I couldn't stand Milla's lisp in the dub, haha.

Japanese is my third language actually (English being second), I've been studying for about 5 years now and I can handle games pretty well so I can enjoy their plots, but I still need the dictionary occasionally.

Anyway I can say that vocabulary along with kanji is a bitch to master, but I guess games themselves are one of the best ways to learn gaming related words. That's how I learned English vocabulary too as a kid, tons of playing Final Fantasy.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
That's too bad. I myself only have time to game in very short breaks on my Vita these days. I haven't gotten very far in anything for a while. Still, when I can play something, it is all the better for the wait.

Edit:
Oh yeah, for those far enough to have this skill, how useful is
"Free & Free"? Apparently it turns free run on at all times, and I've heard some people say it is pretty useful to fix the camera wonkiness. It seems like it would be weird to be free running all the times, and I can really wrap my head around how you would even use artes or dodges properly, but people say it helps. I can't find any videos of it, so I thought I'd ask here.

That's not how it works. It's not really a spoiler so I'll just explain it. You move on a radial axis like Graces normally. In order to free run you phold L2. However, when you have Free&Free on you hold L2 to keep your axis. On the flip side though you're still moving on an axis normally but holding the stick in a diagonal position will initiate free run. It's just a matter of choice to be honest. Also, holding L2 will superposition the camera.

I still haven't either after over 100 battles, I'll just wait for more concrete information :p

I reached the
water temple
and it's the worst dungeon ever :(

yes, that place is complete garbage.

you know, at this point, I'm just fucking done with that trophy. I give up. falk, you can have your platinum.

I'm just going to go hook my scrotum up to a car battery, which sounds more enjoyable than this trophy.

Falk

that puzzling face
Recorded stuff, and recorded more stuff

Go Shiina is hilarious in person

cSv38tm.jpg

edit: whoops, actually that was from God Eater 2 session. For Zestiria we tracked two of the vocal songs. (At this point VGO has provided his music with like 6 different vocalists total hahaha)

cSv38tm.jpg

edit: whoops, actually that was from God Eater 2 session. For Zestiria we tracked two of the vocal songs. (At this point VGO has provided his music with like 6 different vocalists total hahaha)

I don't know what you look like, so I'm assuming you are the cup on the right.

I played Xillia in Japanese too after trying the localized version. Only because I couldn't stand Milla's lisp in the dub, haha.

Japanese is my third language actually (English being second), I've been studying for about 5 years now and I can handle games pretty well so I can enjoy their plots, but I still need the dictionary occasionally.

Anyway I can say that vocabulary along with kanji is a bitch to master, but I guess games themselves are one of the best ways to learn gaming related words. That's how I learned English vocabulary too as a kid, tons of playing Final Fantasy.
Oh, interesting. What is your first language? Did you study it independently or was it part of a class? If so when? I've had about 2-3 years of on and off learning starting from 2 years in high school, one third year of college level as a senior, a vocal focused summer course the year after (fixed up my accent, speaking speed, and verbal recognition), and now almost a year of straight college level Japanese. Unfortunately, I'm at a community college right now, and its Japanese courses end the term (about 1/4 a year) after my current one (which ends mid March). I won't be able to transfer to university in time to keep my current momentum, until I finish up a few pre-requisites.
Oh well. Main thing I'm wondering though is what kind of studying did you do in those 5 years? Can you vouch for college courses?
As for Milla's lisp, yeah it was kind of funny, but it wasn't too bad in my opinion. And even though English is my main language, I recall that playing Zelda Majora's Mask taught me how to read.
That's not how it works. It's not really a spoiler so I'll just explain it. You move on a radial axis like Graces normally. In order to free run you hold L2. However, when you have Free&Free on you hold L2 to keep your axis.
Huh, so the player holds L2 to enter directional arte attacks?
On the flip side though you're still moving on an axis normally but holding the stick in a diagonal position will initiate free run. It's just a matter of choice to be honest. Also, holding L2 will superposition the camera.

Or does Free&Free just enable quick free running when the player starts movement of the joystick with a diagonal direction (which I assume is not used for any directional arte)?

Sorry for the wall of text, but I just have a few more questions.

Are there really 5 arte directions? I think I may have seen 5 (forward, backwards, left, right, neutral) in some pre-release videos. And since this is a Graces like system, are there no "normal attacks" like those in ToS, TotA, ToV, ToX etc. but instead "A artes" and "B artes"? Since apparently there is no artes ball or shortcuts (which kind of sucks, I really liked finally getting the hang of sixteen artes in Xillia) does that mean there are really only effectively 10 artes assignable per character?

Edit:

Cool! So much video game talent lurks secretly in these forums it seems. Did you happen to work with Motoi Sakuraba or at least meet him to co-ordinate the "sound" of the game?

kewlmyc

Abyssal Chronicles has an article with Hideo Baba discussing Zestiria and its complaints (sorta)
http://www.abyssalchronicles.com/?fn_mode=comments&fn_id=1364

Spoilers obviously, so don't click it if you're afraid of getting spoiled.

Never really understood why people ask about the existence of unannounced games in interviews like this. You have to be a pretty garbage PR or producer if you flat out tell people about future unannounced projects in random interviews.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Huh, so the player holds L2 to enter directional arte attacks?

Or does Free&Free just enable quick free running when the player starts movement of the joystick with a diagonal direction (which I assume is not used for any directional arte)?

You're misunderstanding. You'll still be inputting the artes the same way regardless of the skill being on or not. It's just a matter of, do you want to have free run on using L2 or not. That's it.

Sorry for the wall of text, but I just have a few more questions.

Are there really 5 arte directions? I think I may have seen 5 (forward, backwards, left, right, neutral) in some pre-release videos. And since this is a Graces like system, are there no "normal attacks" like those in ToS, TotA, ToV, ToX etc. but instead "A artes" and "B artes"? Since apparently there is no artes ball or shortcuts (which kind of sucks, I really liked finally getting the hang of sixteen artes in Xillia) does that mean there are really only effectively 10 artes assignable per character?

There is neutral, left, right, up, down. There is also alpha artes and beta artes like Graces but Alpha artes are based on a tree.

Interesting, so it's not like past games where trying to move around freely would cause all attacks to be the simple "useless except to change target" attack? If I'm not mistaken, it's then kind of like as if someone was playing Hearts R with battle movement "Type A", but they could still enter attacks with the analog stick?

Interesting there is some non-linearity in arte progression.

Never really understood why people ask about the existence of unannounced games in interviews like this. You have to be a pretty garbage PR or producer if you flat out tell people about future unannounced projects in random interviews.
Yeah, I'm hoping natural PR coyness is also the reason they haven't really said anything about the international releases and are (hopefully because the two are linked) saying there are no plans for a PS4 version. Maybe because they are waiting until they start work on the localization :).
I found another theory about that trophy... guess I have no choice.

I feel like Snake at the beginning of MGS1.
Being forced back into combat once again huh? Just want to retire with your huskies?

Top Bottom