• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria Import Thread - Turning Legends Into Hope

Falk

that puzzling face
No idea how to respond to that. =D You mean to tell me he actually doesn't need any musicians and still goes for them? BN has a really weird way of budgeting their music output then.

Nah, I'm saying you'd be surprised what's sample libraries nowadays, especially if you stick 1-2 live players in front of them.

Datschge

Nah, I'm saying you'd be surprised what's sample libraries nowadays, especially if you stick 1-2 live players in front of them.
Of which Tales outside of Shiina's involvements never got even one. =( Plenty of Tales music (especially by Tamura) would have fared way better played live as chamber music, alas it was never meant to be...

Peff

Is there any skill to move faster later on? Also, are the first few Battle Acts really just auto guard/step in return for half the grade gained? That seems... kinda useless, especially with those AP costs.

Aeana

Is there any skill to move faster later on? Also, are the first few Battle Acts really just auto guard/step in return for half the grade gained? That seems... kinda useless, especially with those AP costs.

There's a support talent that gives you a speed boost after battles and when you pass NPCs. As for those battle actions, yeah, they're just cheaty things with a penalty.

Rpgmonkey

I think the marketing really oversold the character's importance (maybe "physical presence in the party" is a better way to refer to this than "importance"), but I hope going forward this doesn't make it (more?) difficult to mix things up and have characters leave and stuff. I kinda like that since Graces they've been more experimental with the heroine's role in the story and group dynamics, in Zestiria's case making the position a little less clear-cut than usual.

That aside, after almost two weeks, delivery of my copy is back to making progress and I might get it tomorrow as long as it doesn't get stuck again. It's probably a coincidence that it started moving a day after I emailed them to figure out what was going on, but I like to think I made something happen. :)

Peff

Nice, thanks. At least the the art direction in the fields seems to be an upgrade over Xillia so far, but it never hurts to have the option of sprinting.

There's a support talent that gives you a speed boost after battles and when you pass NPCs. As for those battle actions, yeah, they're just cheaty things with a penalty.

Also, upgrading the 主の加護 to level 13 gives you the ability to have permanent sprint in that area.

Oh, that's cool. But by the time you do that, I'm sure you've done pretty much everything there.

If you're just playing the story one time through, yeah your 加護 levels will be only 3 or 4, maybe even 1.

If you're going for Platinum, though, that's a very different story.

kewlmyc

The people upset by that come across like 5 year old children. Why don't people let the game tell the story it wants to tell. It's like everyone giving FF7 1-star because Aerith dies part-way and they all thought she was going to be the lead female character for the entire game from early trailers/previews. It's actually exactly like that, and it's just as silly here to be upset by. I want rpgs to be able to ditch playable characters for story purposes and not be held back by crying fanboys.

I agree, but from what I heard most of the complaints come from
her reasoning for leaving being not very solid. If she had died, then maybe the backlash wouldn't have happened as Leon and Aerith both didn't have that much backlash. But she doesn't die, she just leaves because she doesn't have time to adventure given her position. It makes sense to me, but I guess some people aren't happy with that reasoning. It'd be like if Aerith said the FFVII quest was too dangerous for her so she gave up and when back home 1/3rd through the game.

I also agree that it'd be cool to have JRPGs where your party members sticking around to the end wasn't certain. However, you'd run into the Fire Emblem scenario where only 3 characters out of 20 are important to the plot. In FE that's not a big deal, but a lot of people play Tales games for the character interactions, so I could see how that could affect their enjoyment.

Bebpo

Banned
I agree, but from what I heard most of the complaints come from
her reasoning for leaving being not very solid. If she had died, then maybe the backlash wouldn't have happened as Leon and Aerith both didn't have that much backlash. But she doesn't die, she just leaves because she doesn't have time to adventure given her position. It makes sense to me, but I guess some people aren't happy with that reasoning. It'd be like if Aerith said the FFVII quest was too dangerous for her so she gave up and when back home 1/3rd through the game.

I also agree that it'd be cool to have JRPGs where your party members sticking around to the end wasn't certain. However, you'd run into the Fire Emblem scenario where only 3 characters out of 20 are important to the plot. In FE that's not a big deal, but a lot of people play Tales games for the character interactions, so I could see how that could affect their enjoyment.

Well it's more that
at that point the party is going to pal around in the neighboring kingdom, which happens to be at war with, and the enemy of, her kingdom and she's all about duty to her kingdom and self-sacrifice in the name of that duty, so she's not going to leave her kingdom when it needs her in the moment of crisis it is going through. Seemed fine to me.

Shouta

There was also another reason too in regards to her abilities for her to leave there. The story makes it abundantly clear before then.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I said it in the podcast that I take part in and I voiced as well that what's being discussed is not strange and people are overreacting.

Why? They capped the
Ladylake 主の加護 level
at
where I'm in the story :( I hope the Grade I'm still earning now will be counted towards
levels 10+
>_<
I also hope they'll unlock those fast.

Anyway I'm loving it right now (I'm where I need to
go and fetch an earth tenzoku -which will most certainly be Edna if I go by the opening- to aid in the reconstruction of the bridge
) and today is going to be Zestiria day: I'll be playing all the time until I go to bed tonight.

They also removed such a reference from her upcoming figure too, lol

Then again, I really buy the whole theory that this was due to terrible communication between the developers and the marketing team.

I don't believe that devs has no control on how to describe a character in game, and has no idea the company is advertising a character as such literally everywhere, like they don't read Famitsu at all?

Also I believe
the vendors still sell her outfit and items way after she left the team, which doesn't make a lot of sense.

Datschge

I don't believe that devs has no control on how to describe a character in game, and has no idea the company is advertising a character as such literally everywhere, like they don't read Famitsu at all?
The character description issue was in the mobile game Tales of Asteria afaik. I don't know who exactly developed and manages that, but it's most certainly not the BN Studios staff that worked on Zestiria.

Finalow

who made most of tracks? Shiina or Sakuraba?

I know they both worked on it, just asking if there are more Shiina's tracks or more Sakuraba's.

Datschge

who made most of tracks? Shiina or Sakuraba?

I know they both worked on it, just asking if there are more Shiina's tracks or More Sakuraba's.
What do you realistically expect? Shiina did
14 out of 109 tracks
and Sakuraba likely the rest. Soundtrack is great btw., good entries by both composers.

Mendrox

Game is good, but shafting Alisha (even for good reasons they surely made up at the end of development), there are way too many indications that she was supposed to be playable the whole time (like trailer scenes where she appeared, but is missing now, weapons etc.)

Nevermind, because it is as it is and they even try to sell her as DLC now... whatever. I like Roses battle style more. :)

Shouta

welp, guess I'll wait for the mandatory PS4 port.

What's the world come to when Tales of games have bad framerate and bugs aplenty?

Tales are usually built from scratch, I think. So they don't often build upon what they know like most development houses. I could be wrong on that though but it's always seemed like that to me.

welp, guess I'll wait for the mandatory PS4 port.

What's the world come to when Tales of games have bad framerate and bugs aplenty?

In one of the interviews, Baba mentioned that they used a new engine for this game.

5.) What would be the biggest difference in Zestiria as compared to previous works.
- The main difference would probably be the engine. Tales of Zestiria runs on a different engine than Xillia/Xillia 2. A lot of aspects, we had to do from scratch.

6.) Why dive into a new engine when the previous one would be more stable?
- We needed to bring a new evolutionary game. We could have worked with the previous engine since it would be more stable, but it wouldn't be innovative. This time, we focused more on aesthetics and the visual environment to enhance scenes. Players will notice the difference especially during events. Like in the Uncharted series, we wanted players to feel immersed into the game as if watching a movie. This is how we wanted to show our "passion" for the 20th anniversary title.

Shouta

Baba's comments make me laugh because aside from environments being bigger, I feel like Zestiria is inferior to Xillia in regards to presentation.

Bebpo

Banned
Baba's comments make me laugh because aside from environments being bigger, I feel like Zestiria is inferior to Xillia in regards to presentation.

The seamless transitions are the biggest improvements to the presentation imo. Makes it feel like a western AAA game in presentation.

Mendrox

Well in my opinion the worlds really look way way better than Xillia 1+2 and story is presented in a movie like way. You go to your event and the cutscene goes on seamless - I like that. But I don't like that there are even more cutscenes than in the Xillia series. :( They should have made an anime series for that. :-/

Shouta

The seamless transitions are the biggest improvements to the presentation imo. Makes it feel like a western AAA game in presentation.

Well in my opinion the worlds really look way way better than Xillia 1+2 and story is presented in a movie like way. You go to your event and the cutscene goes on seamless - I like that. But I don't like that there are even more cutscenes than in the Xillia series. :( They should have made an anime series for that. :-/

The cutscenes and the movement within those are so much worse though. Some of it is really just awful. So even if they improved on transitioning into it better, the actual content isn't great. =/

Mendrox

The cutscenes and the movement within those are so much worse though. Some of it is really just awful. So even if they improved on transitioning into it better, the actual content isn't great. =/

Yep you are right, the frame drops are bad and the animations are clunky... but I guess it's a good step for future games. Xillia 2 movements were quiet nice sometimes like that one Ludgar battle against "him" :)

Finalow

What do you realistically expect? Shiina did
14 out of 109 tracks
and Sakuraba likely the rest. Soundtrack is great btw., good entries by both composers.
oh, that's a much bigger difference than what I was expecting. still I'm glad that he was involved to begin with.

Peff

The animations may not be mindblowing, but I like that they have more oomph to them. Hitting several enemies with the attack where Sorey falls from above feels pretty good, and artes feel more powerful in general, even if the damage numbers are probably the lowest in the franchise. I'm only up to right after meeting Laila, but so far so good.

Rhapsody

Banned
Been awhile since I've played Rebirth (and I never completed it). I guess with a slightly slower battle system and in 2D, I sort of didn't notice.

And thus I lay down my hand, if but for a brief respite...

WDdje2z.jpg

Congratulations! Did you find out what the last two trophies actually required, or did you randomly achieve this?

Sorta both.

Using the out of battle menu to switch characters, fight with all characters 150 times, and after, within battle, use the battle act to switch randomly. Seems this does it. worked for me and everyone else.

For the item collecting one, just open all chests, do all side quests, and open all chests in the EX dungeon. Many people, including me, have gotten it without getting ALL items or opening ALL chests, though.

We still have no idea the exact numbers or the exact flags for the trophy, but these methods work.

If you're just couting by the numbers it may seem low, but Shiina's tracks are all used for important battles/dungeon/scenes.

It's actually kinda comical how you can predict when a Shiina track is gonna pop up.

"Uhoh this looks like an important scene- yup. There's the strings and horns."

Top Bottom