• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria |OT| - Sorey, Modders did what Bamcouldn't!

How did you go about testing them?

just did alot of random battles
equipped titles like Caster and Guardian and AI like Edna for instance did nothing but spells
and stayed away from enemies when doing them,same with Lailah, equipped titles like Paper Nemesis and she comboed enemies alot more
i know its titles affecting their ai because they never worked this well before
the true test will be the next boss i face

Momentary

Banned
How do you keep track of side quests in this game? Do you have a quest tracker or something. I come across these damn purple stars and read what they say, but I immediately forget what I read. It's so frustrating. Like right now I'm supposed to find some run away Seraphim at a lake. Can't remember shit about where it's supposed to be.

How do you keep track of side quests in this game? Do you have a quest tracker or something. I come across these damn purple stars and read what they say, but I immediately forget what I read. It's so frustrating. Like right now I'm supposed to find some run away Seraphim at a lake. Can't remember shit about where it's supposed to be.

I would assume it's in the Synopsis area, but if you turn around and talk to Rose, she'll tell you. As for the actual quest:
You actually have to go through the area she's in later on, the underground caverns. Just don't go straight out of the cave and go into the deeper section instead.

Finished the Alisha DLC. Kinda feels like they just took what would have been a postgame dungeon and reused it. Story-wise it wasn't especially necessary and it also
Unresolved Symmone and Lunarre's plot lines and half set up some future story nonsense that was totally unneeded.
The whole thing basically felt like Persona 3's The Answer.
Back in the main game; Anyone know what to do with this
Legendary Seraphic Arte
Key or how to unlock the cameo battles?

Alucrid

Banned
so how big of an issue is it if party members start falling behind in levels? just completed the
water spirit boss
and alisha died so she's about two levels behind at this point. i figure that she's the best candidate for this to happen to at least

Report them,
I don't think it makes a difference. I chose not to and it still proceeded with the 'we should report them' cut scene.

I ended up
not reporting them. I guess it's like the bridge situation where it doesn't really matter.

Also I just completed the water
shrine and everyone keeps telling me not to visit Alisha and just focus on the shrines. Is this one of those things where you have to resist doing the thing that you think you should do (in this case visit Alisha?).

I have no clue if this game has multiple endings so I hope I'm not screwing myself or anything by visiting her at this point.

Firestorm

Only four hours in (and the game is still teaching me about all the various systems...) but are there any missable optional bosses I should know about?

Finished the
Water Temple

The gimmick was annoying as I heard, but it didn't take me that much.
Show me your ways, I'm currently struggling...

Edit: Wow, I made that way more complicated than it needed to be...
I wasn't stepping on the huge eye on the staircase because I thought it would transport me back to the start like the smaller ones...

Stuart444

Quick spoiler-ish question about Marlind:

If we don't have the money to pay for the guards people, what happens? I just paid it so curious what would have happened if I didn't have the money and/or refused.

Stuart444

So much for me spoiler tagging it lol.

But yeah, I paid but I wonder what would have happened if I didn't have the money. Go grind it out?

R0ckman

Okay just hit the climax of the Dezel story, still don't know what the hell his back story was, it made no damn sense the way they presented it.

Stuart444

thats correct
though if youve been fusing and not just buying gear at the shop you should have plenty of gald

I buy gear and then fuse the gear that I have multiple of >.>

But I still had more than enough from the recent dungeon. You get a lot of gald generally. Also keeping Edna's money skill on.

Is it ever worth using Snack Prep? The other abilities seem much more useful to me.

Ketkat

I buy gear and then fuse the gear that I have multiple of >.>

But I still had more than enough from the recent dungeon. You get a lot of gald generally. Also keeping Edna's money skill on.

Is it ever worth using Snack Prep? The other abilities seem much more useful to me.

Snack Prep kind of creates a LOT of snacks for me and I only have it at rank 22 or so. They're great for donating for grade/gald if I'm low for whatever reason. They also have some nice bonus effects like "20% reduced damage from this element for 1 battle" I've only had it on Mikleo the whole game though, so I dont know if someone else makes way better snacks

So a pretty direct question here. I am not able to buy a lot of games, I love JRPG's. I LOVED Graces F, Hearts R and Xillia. I am totally paranoid I'll buy this and hate it. Would Disgaea 5 be a better choice? (I love Disgaea games, so I know its a safe choice for me.)

Vex_

Banned
So a pretty direct question here. I am not able to buy a lot of games, I love JRPG's. I LOVED Graces F, Hearts R and Xillia. I am totally paranoid I'll buy this and hate it. Would Disgaea 5 be a better choice? (I love Disgaea games, so I know its a safe choice for me.)

You know "it's a safe choice" for you? Sounds like you already answered your own question.

Also, someone help me here: why bother maxing out weapons? I thought you do this because you get a bonus while fusing them? I am not seeing a difference?

Stuart444

Well I'd say if you loved those 3, you'll love Zesty but if you can ONLY buy one, go with Disgaea since you said it yourself, it's a safe choice and just get this on sale sometime.

But ideally, get both :p

Falk

that puzzling face
If what you're asking is "Is Tales of Zestiria freaking revolutionary and life changing compared to these past Tales titles I've played, and do I need to buy it right now at full price, as opposed to something I know is a safe choice
and will last 3 digit hours oh jesus
", the answer is probably not.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
and you need to get equipement proficiency to use the blue locked skills.
Yep, but no need to worry about going as far as maxing out since you get the locked skills with just a bit of proficiency. Only reason to max out is if you're already going to be naturally using the equipment anyway.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
Can someone nutshell the Alisha controversy for me?

I've just read that the producer and a voice actor has apologized for something, and that the marketing materials pre-JP launch were all about her, and she's barely in the game, and has a second side/second story style DLC. Is that it? Seems like a lot of people getting worked up over something kinda small.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
How does Sorey compare to previous Tales protags?

Also, how is the dub? I've wanted dual audio for Tales forever but Tales games have some of the best dubs in the industry when they're good (Abyss, Vesperia)

yami4ct

White Light is such a fun song. With or without lyrics, I really dig it. I think I've listened to it more often than I do most Tales themes.

Also, how is the dub? I've wanted dual audio for Tales forever but Tales games have some of the best dubs in the industry when they're good (Abyss, Vesperia)

I really like him. He's actually pretty assertive and gets shit done. It's much better than the kinds of Tales protagonists like Asbel and Jude who are indecisive and not super confident.

artsi

I can only compare to Xillia but I love him compared to Jude.

I think the dub is pretty good, though I play in Japanese myself.

Jathaine

I noted down where all the gold chests were. Near the end now and never got the key.

Its in an optional dungeon.
Dunno if you did the gorgon sidquest but there's some ruins behind the one in the marsh area. The key is down in there and I definitely recommend you get it.

Dugna

Ahh man finally listening to the full version of the opening with the lyrics, it really sucks this isn't in the game it's nice!

Didn't think a opening in Tales would ever beat "Karma" for me, but this is close.

Hikami

About 20 hours in, this has taken the spot as my favorite Tales game. Hope it's able to stay that way til the end. I'm really enjoying it.

Battles are pretty fun on hard (hope i get the higher difficulty). Its kind of fun and intense armatizing then breaking it off then putting it on again to use some skills and the powerful healing (though wish it did whole party healing). Im still in first city.

About 20 hours in, this has taken the spot as my favorite Tales game. Hope it's able to stay that way til the end. I'm really enjoying it.

I wouldn't go that far, but it is actually top-tier tales for me. The story avoids some of the more convuluted nonsense of most tales games. Sorey is a really good protagonist. Romance is avoided. There is little(no?) fanservice unless it's buried in post-game content. Combat system is deep and fun once you get used to how equipment works. The OST is bangin as well.

R0ckman

He's basically a fusion of Cless and Lloyd only give him respectable intelligence.

Also so as not to waste this post did the
Earth Temple
feel insanely short for anyone else? Completed it very quickly compared to the others, it felt almost as much of a joke as its representative who felt like he was coughed out of an anime convention. Almost like that guy was at a convention took a wrong turn going to a bathroom and ended up in this game.

Zafir

My only disappointment with the combat is that the AI seems like enemy magnets. I mean the AI is pretty awful in every Tales of game, but in this one the bosses seem to almost prioritise going for the AI party members even when you're right next to the boss attacking, and sometimes one or two shots them.

Outside of that the combat system is probably my favourite of the Tales of series.

Dugna

He's basically a fusion of Cless and Lloyd only give him respectsble intelligence.

Also so as not to waste this post did the
Earth Temple
feel insanely short for anyone else? Completed it very wuickly compared to the others, it felt almost as much of a joke as its representative who felt like he was coughed out of an anime convention. Almost like that guy was at a convention took a wrong turn going to a bathroom and ended up in this game.

The temples in general are kinda short, the puzzles are simple. Only annoying one for me was the water temple but even that was short.

So far the game isn't really very much different then the other Tales of games its just really refined it seems.

Top Bottom