• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria |OT| - Sorey, Modders did what Bamcouldn't!

Zafir

Alisha was in the party for a significant enough time for her to grow on us. Not to mention for those of us who watched the ova.

Oh boy was it uncermonious. You could be forgiven in thinking that she would be back later in the game but the fact that she doesn't makes it feel all the more insulting and it does sour my impression against Rose which is a shame because I find Rose likeable as well, in a different way. I'm not looking forward to confirming the tumors whether or not the rest of the cast were trying to make Rose better than Alisha in skits.

And wtf?! They made her VA apologise?? That's horseshit! Don't tell me the fans accepted that it's her fault?
Yep, I just got to the point where Rose joins yesterday, and man the entire thing felt rather forced.

Oh, Alisha was weakening Sorey, she can't stay with us any longer! The reason of leaving due to wanting to help the kingdom was fine, but my god the seraph couldn't get rid of her fast enough for Rose. Rose comes along, and they've barely even spoke for a few minutes before they're all like "We should ask her to join us!" even though she's running an assassins guild, and then to top it off she joins because she gets herself into a tricky situation in the ruins. There's no speech of it being their dream or whatever like any previous seraph/character who joins.

Rose is a more interesting character, and the VA apologising for it seems utterly ridiculous, but I do admit the entire thing was just really poorly handled in my opinion, both in advertisement and in the game.

Alisha was in the party for a significant enough time for her to grow on us. Not to mention for those of us who watched the ova.

Oh boy was it uncermonious. You could be forgiven in thinking that she would be back later in the game but the fact that she doesn't makes it feel all the more insulting and it does sour my impression against Rose which is a shame because I find Rose likeable as well, in a different way. I'm not looking forward to confirming the tumors whether or not the rest of the cast were trying to make Rose better than Alisha in skits.

And wtf?! They made her VA apologise?? That's horseshit! Don't tell me the fans accepted that it's her fault?

What? Alisha doesn't
come back later? So why is the merchants still selling her higher level spears in later cities then?
That particular fact made me wonder if she'll be joining up the team again some time later in the game.
I hope it's not a spoiler, but I'll just tag it just in case.

Sandfox

What? Alisha doesn't
come back later? So why is the merchants still selling her higher level spears in later cities then?
That particular fact made me wonder if she'll be joining up the team again some time later in the game.

That was one of the things people brought up in the initial complaints.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
What? Alisha doesn't

Late game spoilers.

She does come back for one small dungeon and boss fight at a certain point in the story near the final stretch. But it's only temporary and for a story reason, party reverts back to Rose and she goes off to do her own thing after her dungeon is over.

Even more late game spoilers, unrelated to above.

MAN that fight with Rose and Zeveid was hard as fuck.

and a late game question.

Do I have to max out all the stores to get the mythril stuff ? or a certain level will be OK ? Because I don't think i'll be able to do that without money cheats or a crap ton of grinding

Vex_

Banned
So question: What's the point of playing without doing the fusion dance? Like, why even bother playing as just Sorey? Just go super. EVERY. BATTLE.

It seems like you can fuse almost every battle.
Almost no negatives: more health, more attack power
AOE attacks galore
Kyuubi regeneration
Quincy arrows

I feel like this entire game is like that. Redundant. Why do this when there are clearly superior ways of doing that?

Like, why do they have that SKILL chart for the equipment? They could have omitted that chart (as it looks confusing as hell anyway), and just used the item description already provided (difens +40%, spirri+10%, etc/stacking bonuses). You dont need that chart to know you are stacking traits. You can read it right there.

Ketkat

So question: What's the point of playing without doing the fusion dance? Like, why even bother playing as just Sorey? Just go super. EVERY. BATTLE.

[/I]

You'll have a much more limited number of hits, won't be able to get big combos for larger damage bonuses, you're losing a party member in order to fuse so you'll lose some versatility there as well. Fusion forms are certainly strong, but they come with a tradeoff that you might not see till later in the game where it gets harder to stagger bosses.

adamsapple

It seems like you can fuse almost every battle.
Almost no negatives: more health, more attack power
AOE attacks galore
Kyuubi regeneration
Quincy arrows

I feel like this entire game is like that. Redundant. Why do this when there are clearly superior ways of doing that?

Like, why do they have that SKILL chart for the equipment? They could have omitted that chart (as it looks confusing as hell anyway), and just used the item description already provided (difens +40%, spirri+10%, etc/stacking bonuses). You dont need that chart to know you are stacking traits. You can read it right there.

There's a few negatives.

- less characters, i-e more focused enemy attacks, can be really sucky in boss fights if they end up using a mystic art on you
- attacks are slower, less chaining and staggering opportunities
- generally the damage per second is lower with 2 characters (even if the attack power is a big higher) than with 4 doing it.

adamsapple

Oh... well then. I see. Thanks guys. Strange I dont feel too slow right now in early game (moderate difficulty).

Since I have you: does the person I fuse with still get EXP? Or is it only Sorey?

Everyone gets XP, even the out of battle people, only case someone misses getting XP if they are KO'ed at the end of the battle.

Falk

that puzzling face
Everyone gets XP, even the out of battle people, only case someone misses getting XP if they are KO'ed at the end of the battle.

This game rewards people who do nothing over those who give their life for the cause.

Shameful.

Changing my rating from 8/10 to 4/10.

the KO penalty could potentially mess some characters up as they wouldn't be able to catch up with the rest of the group- especially in boss fights where the whole party gets a huge boost in EXP.

Bladenic

the KO penalty could potentially mess some characters up as they wouldn't be able to catch up with the rest of the group- especially in boss fights where the whole party gets a huge boost in EXP.

Trust me, it does. Poor Lailah died during the Echidna fight and I killed it right before the life bottle went off, and she's a whole level behind now. And with the Hard exp decrease she'll never catch up.

zakujanai

Reached the part where
Dezel dies.
Was I supposed to understand
the flashback
because I had no idea what was going on other than
Dezel's mate died protecting Rose.
Who exactly were
the Windriders?
Why were the
two wind seraphim traveling with humans?

I've got zero chance if finishing this in the next 6/7 hours have I. And with Trails out on Thursday I'm never going to play this again after today. Guess I'll just Google the rest once I give up.

Droplet

Reached the part where
Dezel dies.
Was I supposed to understand
the flashback
because I had no idea what was going on other than
Dezel's mate died protecting Rose.
Who exactly were
the Windriders?
Why were the
two wind seraphim traveling with humans?

I've got zero chance if finishing this in the next 6/7 hours have I. And with Trails out on Thursday I'm never going to play this again after today. Guess I'll just Google the rest once I give up.

Lol, I honestly don't blame you. Some of the cutscenes are really obtuse with the most important parts. The (beginning spoilers)
part with Sorey losing his eyesight due to Alisha being his squire
and (big spoilersish)
reveal flashback of the final Earthern Historia
were kind of mind-boggling until I read the synopsis.

Anyway, to "explain",
I think the Windriders was the name of the mercenary group that the Sparrowfeathers used to be. Dezel's friend didn't die, he became the hellion they were fighting prior to the flashback...somehow...because he was protecting Rose from her now-hellion fiance.
...yep.

And yeah, you're probably not finishing that fast, but if you're good at the game you might in the next 10? I haven't been keeping good track of my time.

zakujanai

Thanks, totally missed the fact that
Dezel's friend was the hellion.

I might try to power through before work this week and try to make it to the finish. It'd be nice to be able to wrap it up, leaving RPGs half finished is just the worst.

Arkeus

Trust me, it does. Poor Lailah died during the Echidna fight and I killed it right before the life bottle went off, and she's a whole level behind now. And with the Hard exp decrease she'll never catch up.

Yeah, my lowest level characters are Laihla and Rose, because I use Laihla a LOT for fusions, which means that she has high chance of being left dead at the end of the fight if I need to rez Sorrey by switching with another Seraph as they are both dead.

As for Rose, well, she is in every fights, so her dying happens.

Alucrid

Banned
it's really annoying when the message pops up that screenshot functionality is disabled when you get a trophy. thanks namco

tauke

Alisha finally left the party and the game is pretty tricky on Hard with Sorey alone.

Also Edna is such a troll. I like.

Zafir

Lol, something tells me you should come back to do the Lailah crucible. The Sorey one was pretty easy but that one, man fuck the lailah one at the moment. You can do the first few rounds okay by attacking with B a bit and then ending the combo with an art(otherwise you just can't get arts off), but then they start chucking like 6 enemies at you, which means it's practically impossible to get your arts off...

tauke

Ok stupid question here, it is worth the trouble to endure Hard difficulty for majority of the battle?

The
dragonewt
battle is owning me badly and I barely pass after switching to Moderate difficulty.

There's a few negatives.

- less characters, i-e more focused enemy attacks, can be really sucky in boss fights if they end up using a mystic art on you
- attacks are slower, less chaining and staggering opportunities
- generally the damage per second is lower with 2 characters (even if the attack power is a big higher) than with 4 doing it.

You also lose access to Martial Artes, so you won't be able to interrupt enemy arte casting.

Jisgsaw

You do know that stacking skills or building rows/columns unlocks other traits, right?
You have to show that somehow, which is the reason for the chart.

Anteater

shepherdvrz8z.jpg

shepherd.

zakujanai

Just fought a giant elephant hellion at about 3fps, it was honestly one of the most frustratingly ugly battles I've ever witnessed in a game. Massive elephant and it did instant 180 turns with not a single frame in between. My character running around looked like it was being animated by a zoetrope. PS4 version by the way.

sweet mother of god this Ai is horrible
will someone pls and i dont care if its spoilers tell me the best settings in the strategy menu for each character
before i go insane

am I only supposed to do blasts when the enemy is stunned? they seem hella slow and i still dont know how you're supposed to chain combos with it.

Bowlie

Banned
damn the lastonbell scene was hilarious

came here to post this, it's really good!

I just got to that city, and I don't know how far I'm into the game, but I wish it had more sidequests like in the previous games. Or at least something that would give more life to the world.
I know almost nothing about Hyland or Rolance, who are their governors, why they're fighting, to the point that I couldn't care about that battle and their losses.
Can someone tell me if it gets better?

demidar

Okay I finally figured out the "Use higher seraphic arte" Battle Action. So when you're casting a seraphic arte (so spells only), hold down the artes button (A/Cross) so you're holding the spell after it's finished, then press the attack button (B/Circle) and you'll start casting the higher seraphic arte (with reduced cast time, probably equivalent to the time spent casting the lower arte). You can also hold down the attack button just before the casting finishes (while still holding down the artes button).

This means you gain access to all of your seraphic artes on your directions as most of them are just higher forms of each other.

Bladenic

Okay I finally figured out the "Use higher seraphic arte" Battle Action. So when you're casting a seraphic arte (so spells only), hold down the artes button (A/Cross) so you're holding the spell after it's finished, then press the attack button (B/Circle) and you'll start casting the higher seraphic arte (with reduced cast time, probably equivalent to the time spent casting the lower arte). You can also hold down the attack button just before the casting finishes (while still holding down the artes button).

This means you gain access to all of your seraphic artes on your directions as most of them are just higher forms of each other.

Interesting, I'll try that.

Just finished a lengthy session
cleared the temples (Water of course sucked, Earth was nice and breezy), lost Dezel and gained Zavied, and am now just running around getting Earthen Historian and other side stuff.

I'm having a blast, honestly, but I enjoyed all the Tales games. Even Graces f and Hearts R, both which I found really fun in terms of combat.

after extensive testing i can definately confirm
Titles effect AI
hell with casting titles Lailah even STAYS AWAY from the enemy when casting
i guess Bamco developed new AI tech

Jathaine

In the dark I see you with hope and despair all around

Oh man, I'm never going to be able to get this out of my head, am I?

Top Bottom