• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria |OT| - Sorey, Modders did what Bamcouldn't!

PKrockin

So what's the overall GAF verdict with no spoilers...?

On a scale of 1-10 for gameplay, story, characters, music, and overall?
8/10 for basically everything if I had to use a 10 star system. It is just a pretty enjoyable game all around, and it's nice to not loathe the story or characters like some previous Tales games.

The Shiba Inu Tail item description lmao

Managed to get 2 G-Unions on Sorey, +20 stats and +20%HP. I like this system a lot. I'm collecting all the equipment I find, buy all the shop stock and pick then the skills I need for the situation.
I don't mind it much now that I understand it. Tales of the Abyss's character progression was worse IMO. Yes skills you gained were permanent, but there was no way at all to tell what skills you would get without a guide. At least this is transparent enough to do without GameFAQs.

tauke

MLYUs2U.jpg

What's
amiibo
? The localisation team must have a good time thinking up various punny stuff.

i beat the
Female Assassin
by abusing fusions
Take That Mikleo
also with Edna i think weve found another god tier trolling character
last one was Jade from Abyss

Okay! I think I've got the hang of the skill system now. I started upgrading equipment by opening the skill grid and cycling through my options that way, with a focus on just my most important skills. Only things I'm not sure about are A) How to bless equipment, and B) When fusing equipment, how does one determine what skills are going to be strengthened and which ones will be overwritten during the process?

And when a skill says "Sealed" does that mean it needs to be unlocked by leveling up the weapon?

Okay! I think I've got the hang of the skill system now. I started upgrading equipment by opening the skill grid and cycling through my options that way, with a focus on just my most important skills. Only things I'm not sure about are A) How to bless equipment, and B) When fusing equipment, how does one determine what skills are going to be strengthened and which ones will be overwritten during the process?

And when a skill says "Sealed" does that mean it needs to be unlocked by leveling up the weapon?

Sanctify equipment by getting it to +10 fusion then bring it to Lord of the Land to sanctify it. The first skill effect will be strengthened on the weapon. You need Sanctification boon unlocked in order to do it though (for whatever Lord of the Land that you're visiting).

Anyone know if there is an inventory limit for equipment?

Stuart444

What's
amiibo
? The localisation team must have a good time thinking up various punny stuff.

Haha, I liked that they kept the name Edna gave him, made me laugh hearing it in English.

Yeah I didn't like that outcome so I chose to do it over and preferred that outcome more.

I have to say though I'm really enjoying this game. I bought a ps4 just for this game so I'm glad that it paid off haha.

I didn't think the outcome would be that different. :( Guess I'll do different next time.

MegaPanda

So for people who got to the first town in
Rolance

I went west to the massive field with the leaning towers and then went south into the gorge area. When you enter the area you see Heldalf just standing there and you can initiate a fight with him. Is this battle winnable?

I went west to the massive field with the leaning towers and then went south into the gorge area. When you enter the area you see Heldalf just standing there and you can initiate a fight with him. Is this battle winnable?

Technically, I think so. Winning it leads to one of the alternate endings. But chances are you're waaaaaaaaaay underleveled at this point to do it. It's probably one of those things in there with NG+ in mind.

What's the deal with the Japanese release and the Rose hate? I like her better than Alisha mang.

People thought she was
going to be a permanent party member but she gets replaced by Rose part way through the game.

It would be interesting if the next Tales of game went all Last Story/Star Ocean 5 on the combat.

And by that I mean have all party members on the field during battle, no more 3-4 person team.

Stuart444

People thought she was
going to be a permanent party member but she gets replaced by Rose part way through the game.

She was pretty much marketed like that for a good amount after she was revealed. Even got a figure of her like Sorey did.

I still think it was BS about making Roses VA apologize for doing her job. 'She' had no business apologizing.

Droplet

(lateish game spoilers?)
Holy shit did I feel some rage inside me when it turned out the Earthen Historia things were part of the actual plot. Jesus christ, I was just doing those thinking they were fun sidequests. It feels like the game is just artificially increasing its length at this point now. :|

Anyway, can someone help me with the Elephant Hellion? Dude's hard (he keeps killing my support people in one hit) and I can't see anything when I fight him. Also, anything to make the second Medusa boss in Horsa village easier? I have Zaveid now so it's not like I can use Dezel's armatus to be not-petrified, and I don't seem to have any items to prevent it. I've gotten her down to low health before so I know I can beat her with patience and reflexes, it's just kind of difficult when all you can do when you're petrified is wait to die.

edit:
Your guide is
Rose, talk to her and she gives the jist of where you need to go to start most of the quest lines.

She's pretty unhelpful for that, actually. You have to go to the ruins with the dog god where you first met her and look at the mural to find it. It's...actually kind of annoying, I'd write it down or take a picture when you look at the text for it.

Speaking of temples, by the way, the
water temple
is pretty much the definition of tedious. Ugh, that was awful.

yami4ct

So what's the overall GAF verdict with no spoilers...?

On a scale of 1-10 for gameplay, story, characters, music, and overall?

I feel like Tails is one of those series where scores won't tell you much. If I was reviewing it just generally, I would have to give it a fairly mediocre score. Like 3/5. Like most tales games, it has problems that hold it back from truly being great.

If you know you like Tales games, I think it's certainly worth a buy. In that case, you already know the issues in general the series has. The bad battle camera and weird backwards decisions like fast travel now costing money might bother you, but the battle system is still fun and the characters still charming. The story is pretty standard, but I'm still enjoying it. I think the music is fantastic as well.

If you've played a modern Tales game, you pretty much know what you're in for and you can make a value judgement based on that. Zesteria takes some steps to modernize, but not nearly enough to recommend it if you aren't already on board. If you've never played a Tales game and can get it on a deal (Like with GCU or from GMG for the PC version), I think Zesteria isn't a terrible place to start. If you're really money conscious, you might wait for the semi-frequent sales Xillia or Graces gets on PSN or for this to hit a sale, but I think at like $40 I'd still say I could recommend this to people looking to try the series for the first time.

Hugstable

Banned
She was pretty much marketed like that for a good amount after she was revealed. Even got a figure of her like Sorey did.

I still think it was BS about making Roses VA apologize for doing her job. 'She' had no business apologizing.

They seriously had her VA apologize for that...? smh

What's the deal with the Japanese release and the Rose hate? I like her better than Alisha mang.

Basically they pulled a Raiden with her- leading up to the game's release everyone was under the impression that Alisha would be the female lead, then it turned out to be Rose.

As you say, Rose is the better character, but I can understand why people would be upset about being bait-and-switch'd like that.

yami4ct

Basically they pulled a Raiden with her- leading up to the game's release everyone was under the impression that Alisha would be the female lead, then it turned out to be Rose.

As you say, Rose is the better character, but I can understand why people would be upset about being bait-and-switch'd like that.

I feel like to be upset, you should have to have been hurt by the bait and switch in some way. That means people got invested in Alisha before the game came out. I just don't understand that personally. You kind of have to judge characters based on the final product, not the marketing.

I think the way Alisha is handled is certainly a criticism that can be lobbed at the story, but the scale of the uproar seems really damn silly.

Stuart444

Only link I can find (via gfaqs) is this:

http://yaraon-blog.com/archives/63909

I think there was other links back when it happened but this is the only one I can find and it seems to be based off the Japanese twitter users talking about it.

I feel like to be upset, you should have to have been hurt by the bait and switch in some way. That means people got invested in Alisha before the game came out. I just don't understand that personally. You kind of have to judge characters based on the final product, not the marketing.

I think the way Alisha is handled is certainly a criticism that can be lobbed at the story, but the scale of the uproar seems really damn silly.

There is a Stella joke in here somewhere >.>

But yeah seriously. Alisha even had a figure made for her, alongside the main male character of the story. That along with her design which people found appealing at the time. I can see why people would be angry over it. Hell I was but I was more angry at how they marketed it and then Baba just made things worse (there is no 'main' heroine I believe was one of his quotes?)

Sandfox

Seriously, WTF? Rose's VA apologizing for Namco's fuck up (if blame is to be put anywhere).
Well Baba gave a crappy apology months later after denying they did anything that could possibly confuse people.

Namco handled the situation poorly and that probably just annoyed people even more in addition to the problems the game.

yami4ct

There is a Stella joke in here somewhere >.>

But yeah seriously. Alisha even had a figure made for her, alongside the main male character of the story. That along with her design which people found appealing at the time. I can see why people would be angry over it. Hell I was but I was more angry at how they marketed it and then Baba just made things worse (there is no 'main' heroine I believe was one of his quotes?)

The Stella situation is totally analogous (and just as silly).

Yeah, the marketing was a bit deceptive when it came to the story, but that's just a thing in general. Plenty of small characters in anime/games end up with figures as well. I just don't get what there was to get super attached to with Alisha prior to the game's release. Sure, she has a nice design, but what does that mater in the scheme of things? I get being sort of miffed, but the scale of the anger is what doesn't make sense to me.

That isn't to absolve the way she's handled in game. That's a legit criticism. I don't think it's a huge criticism (at least for me), but it's perfectly valid to call the game out on that point.

Stuart444

Yeah, the marketing was a bit deceptive when it came to the story, but that's just a thing in general. Plenty of small characters in anime/games end up with figures as well. I just don't get what there was to get super attached to with Alisha prior to the game's release. Sure, she has a nice design, but what does that mater in the scheme of things? I get being sort of miffed, but the scale of the anger is what doesn't make sense to me.

The thing about figures is, usually they (for Tales) are reserved for main characters plus Alisha's was made/marketed alongside the main male of the game. The implication from marketing was that she was the main playable female of the crew.

As for how she's handled in the game, I don't know yet (though I see people here saying it happens so abrupt/unceremoniously or something so we'll see) but I will miss her design and her nativity which I've found fun to watch. Especially after the recent skit I saw.
Edna making fun of her haha. <3 Edna

yami4ct

The thing about figures is, usually they (for Tales) are reserved for main characters plus Alisha's was made/marketed alongside the main male of the game. The implication from marketing was that she was the main playable female of the crew.

As for how she's handled in the game, I don't know yet (though I see people here saying it happens so abrupt/unceremoniously or something so we'll see) but I will miss her design and her nativity which I've found fun to watch. Especially after the recent skit I saw.

I liked her just fine. She's pretty middle of the road as far as a Tales character, but she's still charming.

Like I said, I get being a bit annoyed. I also get criticizing the story a bit for it. I just don't get the scale of the anger (IE, the people acting like the game's ruined because they can't play Alisha for very long). To be fair, all of the huge uproar seems to be coming from the Japanese side.

But maybe I'm biased just because I'm not bothered at all. To me, it felt like a thing Tales has done a few times before. It didn't seem that different from how the handled Flynn in Vesperia. I'm not a huge fan of the guest character thing, but nothing about Alisha felt worthy of being super upset over.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
AP is only used for battle actions, right?

I just got Rose in my party but I've always had waaaay more AP than I could possibly use.

Stuart444

Oh no, I agree about the whole "game being ruined" thing being overboard and quite frankly stupid. I was just explaining why the marketing stuff was just so... fucked up.

As for Flynn, I have no idea about the marketing for it was like Alisha or not (and hell another popular character, Leon (from Destiny) was similar to Alisha in terms of how long you could play as him except he wasn't really replaced in the same sense.) so I have no idea how fans reacted to it.

but I do agree that the scale of the anger was stupid but my anger is more directed towards the handling of it (both the marketing AND the after math) than at the game which I am enjoying even knowing what's coming.

I just got Rose in my party but I've always had waaaay more AP than I could possibly use.

I think so. I think it's like skills from some previous games so AP is only for battle actions.

mrmyhthef

Yeah, I saw and posted about that earlier. But hearing it in game was something else (I had been on a YGO:TAS binge a month or two ago >.>).

Oh okay, wasn't following the thread that closely. Well hopefully someone else got some use out of my post.

I believe so. I think they're giving you a ton of AP for now since you get them 1 point at a time at a fairly steady rate but AP costs for skills start rising exponentially further into the game. So they're setting you up for later.

Alisha was in the party for a significant enough time for her to grow on us. Not to mention for those of us who watched the ova.

Oh boy was it uncermonious. You could be forgiven in thinking that she would be back later in the game but the fact that she doesn't makes it feel all the more insulting and it does sour my impression against Rose which is a shame because I find Rose likeable as well, in a different way. I'm not looking forward to confirming the tumors whether or not the rest of the cast were trying to make Rose better than Alisha in skits.

And wtf?! They made her VA apologise?? That's horseshit! Don't tell me the fans accepted that it's her fault?

Sandfox

Alisha was in the party for a significant enough time for her to grow on us. Not to mention for those of us who watched the ova.

Oh boy was it uncermonious. You could be forgiven in thinking that she would be back later in the game but the fact that she doesn't makes it feel all the more insulting and it does sour my impression against Rose which is a shame because I find Rose likeable as well, in a different way. I'm not looking forward to confirming the tumors whether or not the rest of the cast were trying to make Rose better than Alisha in skits.

And wtf?! They made her VA apologise?? That's horseshit! Don't tell me the fans accepted that it's her fault?

Based on what I read the fans seem to have thought that if anyone was going to do that it should've been Baba.

Crevox

I'm pretty far into the game now and I still have no issues with Alisha.

In my opinion, I think the whole thing is just blown out of proportion.

At least in MGS2 Snake still shows up and plays several major parts in the game.

By all accounts Alisha would never appear after this.

Based on what I read the fans seem to have thought that if anyone was going to do that it should've been Baba.

Baba definitely, he might not be the actual reason for the change but the way he had handle the aftermath was aweful.

I'm pretty far into the game now and I still have no issues with Alisha.

In my opinion, I think the whole thing is just blown out of proportion.

Only because it was handled so terribly and amplified if you're a fan of Alisha.

Does it affect gameplay? Not in a major way but boy does it leave a terrible taste afterwards.

Alex

Alisha is a pretty stale character in an entry with an otherwise solid cast, IMO, so I'm not exactly missing her. Not that I can fathom what the kind of person who would actually get legitimately upset at this would be thinking either way, though.

As for the game itself, I feel like at this point it's one of the betters, it has some kinks and it may not match others in individual aspects but as a package I do think it's one of the more complete ones, at least the most so since Vesperia.

Alisha is a pretty stale character in an entry with an otherwise solid cast, IMO, so I'm not exactly missing her. Not that I can fathom what the kind of person who would actually get legitimately upset at this would be thinking either way, though.

As for the game itself, I feel like at this point it's one of the betters, it has some kinks and it may not match others in individual aspects but as a package I do think it's one of the more complete ones, at least the most so since Vesperia.

she is up against fucking Winry Rockbell aka Rose
she had no chance whatsoever
also Edna is the best

Moonlight

Banned
Zestiria is very much a 'more than a sum of its' parts' thing. Vesperia has it beat almost character to character, but in unison Zestiria's cast has such strong chemistry that it all sort of equalizes it for the most part.

Edna's the best tho

kewlmyc

I can't remember the last Tales game where I really enjoyed the soundtrack. The OST for this game is amazing.

And the cast grows on you. I like all of them, except for Dezel and maybe Alisha. Dezel is just "muh Rose, muh vengeance" and Alisha is kinda boring.

Zestiria is very much a 'more than a sum of its' parts' thing. Vesperia has it beat almost character to character, but in unison Zestiria's cast has such strong chemistry that it all sort of equalizes it for the most part.

Edna's the best tho

trolls are factually the best tales characters

Just finished the main game, done most if not all the sidequests as far as I could tell. Solid game overall, nowhere near as bad as all the bad press made it sound. Has an interesting ending as well even if it
seems a lot like certain other Tales of games endings.
Time clocked in at 38 hours, finished at level 70.
A couple of questions regarding the ending if anyone knows:
Am I right in assuming that was Rose's gravestone in that distant finale? Or did I somehow miss her being at the side of the screen or something.
And I figure Sorey returning would have to do with enough malevolence being gone and humanity and seraphim finally living together?
Onto the Alisha DLC!

so is there an issue with subtitles during cutscenes and the jp language settings? B/c there werent any for the
war scenes against rolance empire

alekth

Still very early in the game, but Edna is indeed excellent. Glad the designated child character is not actually a child, those are the ones whose story/character usually irritate me (although I skipped the Xillias, so no idea about them).

Cyrano

How similar is this game to Tales of Symphonia or Eternia? Those were my two favorites and I'm currently fence-sitting on purchasing this.

Top Bottom