• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria |OT| - Sorey, Modders did what Bamcouldn't!

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I think in the generation of Vita, PS3, Wii, 360 my Tales ranking as follows. This is taking everything entirely. Not just story or combat or whatever.

Tales of Vesperia
Tales of Graces
Tales of Xillia 2
Tales of Symphonia: DotNW
Tales of Xillia
Tales of Hearts R
Tales of Zestiria.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Slightly on topic. Now that I've finished Zestiria (and don't plan on playing it again in the near future) I plan on selling it while the resale value is still high.

I have a copy of Tales of Hearts R to go through at some point. Is it better or worse than Zestiria? And should I play it immediately after, or wait a while?
Hearts R has a more cohesive story that, if anything, has the opposite problem to Zestiria where it sometimes spends too long on relatively inconsequential plot points. But the villains always make sense when they show up, plot points aren't mysteriously dropped, and everything goes from point A to point B to point C nicely.

Zestiria has better characters and a better battle system.

I wouldn't say one is better than the other. Hearts R looks terrible, though. Forget people complaining about ToZ's graphics - ToHR looks like a PSP game from 2005.

Edit: If we're doing rankings, mine go as follows:

Xillia
Zestiria
Graces
Hearts R
Xillia 2
Symphonia: DotNW
Innocence

Vesperia kind of sits snugly in the previous generation of Tales, I think. It's after ToV that the series started to dwindle a bit. Symphonia -> Vesperia was an amazing run.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Started doing much better in bosses while running around doing sidequests and checking on things. I've been getting decent results in the optional ones I've been fighting and I got almost 50 grade on
Asura
. I also got the 100 combo during the fight with him too. Just generally mixing up what I'm doing during the fights and telling characters to defend and step back when needed, but now that I have so much at my disposal it's just working better.

Water Shrine
was ok. There are
indications on the floor
in most rooms and after you know that the
water power can't stay on for more than two eyes in a roll
, there's not a lot to it. I did quick save before entering new rooms, but ended up not having to use that much.

I think in the generation of Vita, PS3, Wii, 360 my Tales ranking as follows. This is taking everything entirely. Not just story or combat or whatever.

Tales of Vesperia
Tales of Graces
Tales of Xillia 2
Tales of Symphonia: DotNW
Tales of Xillia
Tales of Hearts R
Tales of Zestiria.
I'd probably go:

Tales of Vesperia
Tales of Xillia 2
Tales of Graces
Tales of Xillia
Tales of Zestiria
Tales of Hearts R

I haven't played DotNW.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I'm actually having a good time playing around with the skill system. I definitely wouldn't want it in all games, but in this one I'm finding it refreshing not just mindlessly equipping all the new equipment when I arrive at a new place and how previous shops can still prove useful. I can see how it's more trouble than it's worth for most people though.

The only true downside for me is really not being able to check the skill sheet during fusion, but by now I'm used to jumping back to the "To Equipment" menu inside shops to do that. If I had to get out of the shop and open the menu again to check the sheet it would be truly unbearable (even with the RT shortcut), so I'm glad that that's not needed at least.

Now that I'm back in the earlier areas I was finally able to fuse some the initial equipment that's still essential for some skill combos (mainly Solljur). Making use of locked skills during fusion is paramount in keeping the ones you want. Locked skills are treated as empty spaces, so sometimes it's better to fuse lower level equipment separately to make them have less skills before attaching them to the main + one.

Kasumin

The more I play this game, the more bizarre this Rose/Alisha thing seems to me.

Like, I understand that Alisha has a very specific role in the story as opposed to Rose, but when considering that if you're writing a story, you have the opportunity to work backwards just as easily as forwards in most cases, they easily could have just... written Alisha to be a better character. I know that she couldn't fuse, but the game sets it up as if Alisha is progressing in her spiritual awareness or whatever, and then it's like "nope, sorry, she's gone from the story for several hours. Take this other character instead." It's just so weird how the party just almost completely forgets about Alisha despite the precarious situation she's in and also that we've at least spent 10 hours of real game time with her. I like Rose and everything, but this all just stinks to me. There had to be some rewrite or some behind-the-scene politics on this one.

I mentioned the same thing earlier in this thread. How it's weird that just Alisha is the Unfavorite. The response that I got is that it's fine that she sucks because the rest of the cast is so much better. Which just defeats the entire purpose of the question.

The whole thing really does stink. I didn't realize that Rose's seiyuu recorded her lines later than everyone else. That is really fishy.

adz2ka

So far for me of the ones I have played

Tales of Vesperia
Tales of Zestiria
Tales of Graces
Tales of Destiny 2 / Eternia (not sure what the hell to call this being a European)
Tales of Symphonia
Tales of Xillia
Tales of Xillia 2

Stuart444

Hearts R is better than Zesty. I'm saying that now. Brand me a heretic or whatever TalesGAF. Come at me bro.

Like I said in my post, I enjoyed the story overall (though there is a lot of issues with it) but I enjoy Hearts Rs story more than Zesty.

Though character wise, while I enjoyed the Hearts R cast, Zesty has one of the strongest casts since Vesperia imo.

edit: also Graces f continues to be my lowest rated Tales game this gen and probably of all the ones I've played. I liked it but I can't say too many positive stuff about it's story or characters outside of Pascal and maybe Malik. (not played Legendia or Tempest btw)

Not sure what I would rate the Tales games yet but I know Graces f would be the lowest for me.

Tales of Destiny 2 / Eternia (not sure what the hell to call this being a European)

We got it as Eternia in Europe so call it Eternia I say.

Bladenic

As a side note before I move onto story stuff. The game ONLY takes place in the Glenwood continent. It feels weird since normally we're traveling all over the world but in this case, we only traveled a small part of it. Feels weird.

I'll say that this fact along with the DLC ending really seems to support the idea of a sequel, though I doubt one will come to fruition unless the anime acts as a sequel too.

Can anyone tell me what battle action unlocks by getting 150 hits combo going?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I've played Symphonia, Abyss, Vesperia, Graces f, Xillia, Xillia 2, and Zesteria.

For me, Vesperia is my number one and Graces is the worst by a massive margin.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I've played less than most, I've played Symphonia, Dawn of the New World, Vesperia, Graces, and Zestiria now I'd personally rank them:

Vesperia > Symphonia > Zestiria > Graces > DotNW

But I even liked DotNW well enough, and Vesperia and Symphonia are very close for me, Vesperia gets an edge, but just barely for a few specific things for me.

Kalentan

I'm liking the game thus far but reading some posts in this thread make me almost regret my purchase... Maybe I should stay out of this thread...

kewlmyc

Haven't finished Zestiria yet, but unless something freaking awesome happens before the end, it's this for me for "current gen" games I played:

Vesperia
Xillia 2
Graces f
Zestiria
Hearts R
Xillia

I don't hate Xillia, but Xillia 2 has pretty much rendered Xillia pointless. I barely remember much of what happened in Xillia but I'm pretty sure I enjoyed it somewhat.

demidar

Haven't finished Zestiria yet, but unless something freaking awesome happens before the end, it's this for me for "current gen" games I played:

Vesperia
Xillia 2
Graces f
Zestiria
Hearts R
Xillia

I don't hate Xillia, but Xillia 2 has pretty much rendered Xillia pointless. I barely remember much of what happened in Xillia but I'm pretty sure I enjoyed it somewhat.

Xillia 2 is only high because of playable Gaius.

Anyways, finished the game, the ending was okay I guess. Working through Alisha's story now.

Bowlie

Banned
Man... I didn't finish the game yet (3/4 trials), but some things have been piling up and leaving a bad taste in my mouth. (mid-late game spoilers)

The fact that, as many pointed out, there are times when the enemy becomes immune to all damage, breaking your combo not because of your lack of skill, but because the game says so, making achieving that 150-hit mark frustrating;
Some sidequests ending abruptly, like that Beastmaster in Pendrago, or the Werewolf in Lastonbell. I went "oh, is th- is that it? It's over? Not an explanation, a conclusion, or a reward, nothing?";
Alisha's departure, event that no one seemed to care about (not even Sorey who went to war because of her), and giving her clothes to Rose, like the devs wanted to piss us off. Also, her equipment was still being sold in shops, making me feel like she'd come back;
And now I saw here that Dezel will die? They would kill a party character ~70% of the game in to replace him with some guy that was introduced and last shown ~15 hours before? Why was that necessary?

I mean, I'm liking Zestiria, but there's gotta be stories about the development. Does anyone know something?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Man... I didn't finish the game yet (3/4 trials), but some things have been piling up and leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

The fact that, as many pointed out, there are times when the enemy becomes immune to all damage, breaking your combo not because of your lack of skill, but because the game says so, making achieving that 150-hit mark frustrating;
Some sidequests ending abruptly, like that Beastmaster in Pendrago, or the Werewolf in Lastonbell. I went "oh, is th- is that it? It's over? Not an explanation, a conclusion, or a reward, nothing?";
Alisha's departure, event that no one seemed to care about (not even Sorey who went to war because of her), and giving her clothes to Rose, like the devs wanted to piss us off. Also, her equipment was still being sold in shops, making me feel like she'd come back;
And now I saw here that Dezel will die? They would kill a party character ~70% of the game in to replace him with some guy that was introduced and last shown ~15 hours before? Why was that necessary?

I mean, I'm liking Zestiria, but there's gotta be stories about the development. Does anyone know something?

No one knows and to be quite honest, much of the Tales fans don't really care because this is a series that isn't scrutinized about development process and stuff. Instead we scrutinize about what the fanbase cares about. Waifus and Husbandos. I'm being 100% serious here.

That being said, the game was in development for 3 years supposedly and we can assume that one of those three years was spent in pre-production. My guess is that during the actual production and development later on there was a conflict in the vision and execution of the game's' narrative which is why we see a half-baked story. Not only that but my guess is that there was a lack of a concerted effort from the narrative side leading to many faults in the story. I'm sure there was a narrative director but it could've been worn by many hats (one too many) or there never really was one leading to some issues. Regardless it's clear that this story didn't just end up bad because it's "lolTales" but some serious issues.

Stuart444

fuck this DLC im done
these skunks are complete bullshit and whoever designed them should be fired

I ran from almost everything in the DLC. Only fought a few non-mandatory fights to raise BG.

edit: apart from the
crucible. Won that somehow :D though that last monster was a bitch.

This Tales game probably as my favourite cast. I like all of them especially Mikleo and Sorey they are such good characters. I'm also a big fan of
Zavied.

Also all those saying this game is bad I disapprove completely. Of course it has some problems but it's a damn fine game. Giving me that great jrpg fix I like to have.

Falk

that puzzling face
Regardless it's clear that this story didn't just end up bad because it's "lolTales" but some serious issues.

Yeah, most (or, virtually all) previous Tales games may have a somewhat predictable plot, but generally are really well-defined or intentional pacing that works in context. Not discounting tacked-on not-quite-sequels like Future Arc in Graces.

Dice//

Banned
While that is true, Zestiria has an extremely butchered story. There's no semblance of a good story here at all.

Again, it's got good ideas (I really, really like how the Seraphim serve as these unseen forces and it creates a great element of doubt/faith with the Shepherd).... it's just incredibly conventional rarely going for any sort of emotional connection beyond that one big war battle where you meet Heidalf. If the game had more moments like *that*, I'd be far more interested in the story.

Rhapsody

Banned
I'm really sad at the news. Been playing in English to see how the dub was. Might owe it to myself and switch back to JP audio.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
RIP, that's so sad to hear. She was so young.

I always play in English but I might switch to Japanese audio next time I play then.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
That's very tragic news. ;_; Rest in peace.

---

A bit more on the game-related side, I was going to mention before that news creeped up that, while Zestiria has some obvious flaws, I think there are some elements that match-up/surpass some of the best in the series. I do actually like the combat system a lot personally (some have some issues, but I like the changes), and I do think the game having a likable cast of characters, very good localization and English dubbing, and one of the best soundtracks in the series, does help elevate the whole experience. Maybe I'm just talking for myself, but that's how I feel.

Stuart444

I agree with the soundtrack, it is one of the best in the series I'd say. And the dub/localization is easily one of the best since Vesperia.

As the first Tales game with dual audio I took the opportunity to play with the Japanese VA. Hard to imagine the person I've been listening to for 40+hrs is gone. She was a great VA that was serious when she needed to be but lighthearted and fun during those silly Tales skits.

Rest in Peace.

ok done with the DLC
if i ever do revisit this game ill play in JP audio
honestly theres only 3 things i hate about it
the AI
the camera
the skill system
everything else is fine

Bowlie

Banned
Yup, it does have an incredible cast (I'll never forget how they entered Lastonbell and that talk with Sergei)!

The localization is also extremely well done. I look at little things like title or monster descriptions and it's always on point.

I was a little negative up here, but I'm having fun playing it.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
+ Characters were fun, probably the best I've encountered in Tales (I never played Vesperia)
+ I liked the overall setting
+ Great music
+ Battle system was fun
+/- Story was strong at the start but had a lot of loose ends towards the end, though it's still consistent and engaging enough for me
- Camera
- Skill system
-
Dezel's backstory was obviously rushed
- AI

From the Tales I've completed:
Graces F > Zestiria > Symphonia (hasn't aged really well) >= Hearts R > Abyss (I hate a lot characters here) > Xillia

Top Bottom