• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria |OT| - Sorey, Modders did what Bamcouldn't!

Stuart444

Are you doing all the sidequests? Like
fighting Eizen (then sleeping at an inn then going back to where you fought him), talking to Sergei in Pendrago, Seraphim at Camelot Bridge camp, speaking to townsfolk at Lohgrin about Mayvin, etc. Because if you're not you're missing out on some Mystic Artes.

In a bit of a rush to finish so I chose not to do the final lot (I had done them all prior to this). Will do them after I've had a break from some Tales games. I've played nothing but Tales all October.

That said, I just finished the game and will do the Alisha DLC tomorrow then I'll give my thoughts on the game.

I will say, that final boss. You know the one.
Without the divine blast attack, I might not have made the countdown for that final "fuck you" move that he does. I sacrificed Mikleo -> Lailah -> Zaveid -> Edna in that order. The last bit was hard as well as I had my MP partner stay back until the "fuck you" move then we both just went all out on the arms.

Felt good to beat him though :D

So I just beat the game. not sure if I'll do alisha's dlc. Ending was a bit weak and still confused on some stuff like

how are heldalf and motelus connected again? Is that Rose's tombstone at the end? What ever happens with Edna's brother? I'm still confused b/c it seems like lailah and zaveid know each other but nothing ever happens with that and I am still a bit unclear of lailah's background. Doesnt make sense that you don't see her in the exposition cutscene of how heldalf became the lord of calamity.

I liked the game, but man did I not enjoy the battle system. This is the first tales I beat so idk if it's like this in the other games, but I don't really enjoy babysitting the AI b/c they're bad and having them die so often. Camera was terrible especially if there was a tree in the battlefield. Still dont understand why trees in battle are a thing.

Still confused on the rock paper scissors aspect b/c I have no idea what is going on when I'm trying to break a hidden artes with martial artes but they're resisting it. I assume that's just due to me not fully understanding what is happening. I also hated how you couldnt block out of a chain b/c some long hitting moves would screw me over when the enemy would cancel out of their block stun and kill me. Also hate when enemies use
mystic artes because that just means 1-3 dead AI for no reason

Idk the battle system was super frustrating at times and just never really felt fluid to me, but I enjoyed the story and characters.

Also edna was the best and rose is undeniably way better than alisha so Im glad she got put in instead of alisha

tauke

So is Nvidia DSR or GeDoSaTo better for this game?

I haven't tried either before :S

I prefer the SGSSAA method using Nvidia Inspector and since I'm running dual monitor setup, I never got the chance to use Nvidia DSR although GeDoSaTo works fine.

I think Durante already added Zestiria to the whitelist in the latest GeDoSaTo so you can pretty much run the game and set the resolution in game like 3840x2160 to downsample it (if you're running a 1080p monitor).

RPGCrazied

Been playing this slow. Don't get to play PS4 much during the week, only weekends. Just got Dezel and Rose. Finally got a variety of artes. I'm not really even bothering with the skill system. I might need to later on, or if I switch difficulties, but I'm only playing on Normal.

Wanted to get the next difficulty so instead of advancing the story just roamed the pastures for 50 battles or so, then tried one of the random crucibles at this point, though Im just level 23 I seemed to be able to get to the third to the last enemies for Sorey -alone- one but ugh, if there was a way to defend against power linked hardshells. (I guess I could have turned the difficulty down from hard, but the others in it are just way easy).

Battle system is fun for the different ways to fight, chain blasts are probably my favorite to randomly play in random battles.

What's a good level to be at to finish the game? I'm about to enter the final dungeon after cleaning up a few more sidequests.

Also, late/post-game sidequest - Are the
Dark Turtlez and Angel
bosses meant to be taken on when you're very-highly leveled? They both seem to kill me without much trouble at all, and I'm level 84 at the moment.

FSLink

Banned
Are we not expecting Namco-Bandai to participate in Steam sales and discount the DLC?

Why would they discount a new game that just came out? They likely will, but most big name publishers don't do any crazy discounts or Steam sales when the game first comes out.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Why would they discount a new game that just came out? They likely will, but most big name publishers don't do any crazy discounts or Steam sales when the game first comes out.

I just don't think I've ever seen them do dlc sales for a Tales of game before. So I was wondering if they would change their mind when on Steam.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Major Spoilers
The whole death of Dezel was so poorly done. His backstory was so muddled, what exactly did he do that caused the downfall of the Windriders? He's the reason the Prince became a Hellion? How? And they even managed to throw an amnesia subplot in there? The whole thing was a poorly explained mess. And made even more bizarre with how Zaveid just casually replaces him.

I just got to this part and I'm still confused. How did the Windriders get connected to the Scattered Bones?

I just got to this part and I'm still confused. How did the Windriders get connected to the Scattered Bones?

The Windriders looked like they were the seraphs that traveled with the Scattered Bones. At least, thats what my interpretation of the scene was.

Yeah the background story connected to Dezel is definitely confusing.

Stuart444

The windriders were originally a band of mercenaries but after the scenes we saw where Dezels friend got killed. Their name became tarnished and they become the scattered bones. That's what I took it to mean. The seraphs that traveled with them just considered themselves part of the windriders.

I love how Zestiria continues the time honored tradition of water-themed dungeons being
FUCKING OBNOXIOUS AS ALL CHRISTFUCK AKSDFJADSJ;LFDL;KJJKASLKFDSAJL

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I love how Zestiria continues the time honored tradition of water-themed dungeons being
FUCKING OBNOXIOUS AS ALL CHRISTFUCK AKSDFJADSJ;LFDL;KJJKASLKFDSAJL
Funny, I just came here to post this exact same thing

After about seventy billion times of getting ejected by water eye there was no way to see I left most treasure chests in that dungeon

The music tho. I wish Go Shiina composed the entire game.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I just started the game. Now I'm conflicted on whether to stick with English or Japanese Audio. Tried English first and wasn't exactly wowed by it. Tried the Japanese audio and now I'm not sure.

Man, Disgaea 5's english dub was sooooooo good.

Anteater

Yes, they are. I found a site with super vague descriptions, and spoilers. I'll try to record this kind of stuff in the next playthrough!

good luck! and yeah some guides just seem to like telling you everything about the story rather than just pointing you to the right direction :lol

man
Phoenix
took forever to kill
just decided to just say fuck it and abuses Ednas armatize mystic arte with Rose and abused my arcane bottles

bobohoro

Water dungeon wasn't all that bad. The rules were pretty clear after the first room with the 2 tiles to the right and the 3 to the left.

The earth dungeon was a big that's it? all around. Really felt like the developers made a joke, what with loli Edna, pervy seraphim and the easy power-up. That music though, so good. OST is the biggest, positive surprise in Zestiria for me, so much better than the last entries in the series.

Now I'm at the final wind temple. Spoilers for the entrance scene:
Does the choice you make regarding Yugus affect anything later on?

Zafir

Water dungeon wasn't all that bad. The rules were pretty clear after the first room with the 2 tiles to the right and the 3 to the left.

The earth dungeon was a big that's it? all around. Really felt like the developers made a joke, what with loli Edna, pervy seraphim and the easy power-up. That music though, so good. OST is the biggest, positive surprise in Zestiria for me, so much better than the last entries in the series.

Now I'm at the final wind temple. Spoilers for the entrance scene:
Does the choice you make regarding Yugus affect anything later on?
That's not why people dislike the Water Temple though. It's pretty obvious what you have to do, it's just not fun in my opinion. The stealth bubble lasts a short amount of time, only enough to cross two "squares" and even then you have to be just before those two "squares". Put it on a bit early and you'll be sent back because it'll pop just short. The dungeon tries to hide the "eyes" in places you can't scan from the start of the room too.

Pics_nao

Finally got Rose and Dezel last night.

I preferred playing as Alisha ._.

Still enjoying the story and pacing a lot. The hit in both later on is gonna kill me.

I just started the game. Now I'm conflicted on whether to stick with English or Japanese Audio. Tried English first and wasn't exactly wowed by it. Tried the Japanese audio and now I'm not sure.
Voice acting for English gets better, it's definitely one of the weaker efforts though cuz early game it just seems awful, stick with English I'd say.

Bowlie

Banned
I was going through the water temple pretty easily, until I went on top of that eye-warp that sends you to
the final floor and thought "okay, puzzle's over!". Then I started running without care, and that freaking eye before the corridor spotted me and put me back at the beginning
. I started laughing.

alekth

Is there anything specific about when you can use gummies? I was at the fire trial, and hadn't figured out (how to beat)
going to the four tablets
for a while, so I was actually close to brute force the boss, but I was able to use a gummy to restore HP all but once. Items usage wasn't blocked, and I was managing with using life bottles, could use an elexir too... just gummies wouldn't work.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I don't know if this has been posted before, but I found this skill calculator useful.

Not so much for forward calculation, but for the backwards lookup.
Nice, bookmarking this. The reverse calculation might come in handy when I'm needing a specific skill to complete a set.

At the moment aside from focusing on vertical columns I managed to have all characters with one set of E-Union 4 (Difensus, Attakus, Spirrius, etc), so they can all enjoy at least one "_____ +1 when you level up" permanent bonus.

I wish the game would allow me back on Marlind already though. I still need more Calcite Swords.

I have the PS4 version and I cannot find the free sidestory DLC.... am I missing something>
Here, these work:

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Finished the last temple and just got
Zaveid, complete with his really out of place Dezel hat. He sure went from antagonist to party member fast, and with almost no reason. It's like if Zagi from Vesperia suddenly showed up at one point and went "hey guys, we're friends, right?" And everyone just said "Yeah, I guess" and forgot he was a raging psychopath who attacked them multiple times.

Temple rankings: Earth > Wind > Water > Fire

Music rankings: Earth > Water > Wind > Fire

The water temple was annoying but it had a cool design and the best story woven into it. The fire temple was boring and frustrating. Wind had a killer atmosphere
(bonus points for being able to see it from Aifread's Hunting Grounds before knowing what it is)
and earth just hit the perfect sweet spot - straightforward, some puzzles but not frustrating ones, and some
much needed Edna story focus, with an added spice of humor.
And the best music in the game.

spidye

Is there a way to change the seraphim for your squire on the battlefield if you play sorey or do I have to change it by controlling the squire?

bobohoro

Finished the last temple and just got
Zaveid, complete with his really out of place Dezel hat. He sure went from antagonist to party member fast, and with almost no reason. It's like if Zagi from Vesperia suddenly showed up at one point and went "hey guys, we're friends, right?" And everyone just said "Yeah, I guess" and forgot he was a raging psychopath who attacked them multiple times.

That whole story sequence was downright garbage.

Oh hey, let's look for Heldalf. NO, let's take on a job that somehow ties into one of the many loose and forgotten plot threads from a dozen hours ago. Oh noes, guild member/hellion shows up (seriously, Dezel never sensed that guy?) and new villian that looks like crap spews dumb/omnious lines. Then follows a totally rushed and non-explaining flashback, some fights that are completely unnessecary/no fun and a sacrifice that left no impact whatsoever. What was even the point of all this? Dezel was a shit character without any real background or development, might as well have written Zaveid into the story from the beginning. And why does he wear the dumb hat now? He looked way better without it.

And yes, I'm extremely annoyed right now. I have a pretty high tolerance for Tales Of story bullshit, but this stuff was even beyond that and neatly ties into the downward spiral of writing quality the game followed since around 10 hours in. So bad.

SolVanderlyn

That whole story sequence was downright garbage.

Oh hey, let's look for Heldalf. NO, let's take on a job that somehow ties into one of the many loose and forgotten plot threads from a dozen hours ago. Oh noes, guild member/hellion shows up (seriously, Dezel never sensed that guy?) and new villian that looks like crap spews dumb/omnious lines. Then follows a totally rushed and non-explaining flashback, some fights that are completely unnessecary/no fun and a sacrifice that left no impact whatsoever. What was even the point of all this? Dezel was a shit character without any real background or development, might as well have written Zaveid into the story from the beginning. And why does he wear the dumb hat now? He looked way better without it.

And yes, I'm extremely annoyed right now. I have a pretty high tolerance for Tales Of story bullshit, but this stuff was even beyond that and neatly ties into the downward spiral of writing quality the game followed since around 10 hours in. So bad.
Agree with the flashback, it made no sense at all and didn't tell us anything we didn't already know (Dezel used to travel with these guys) and introduced random other Seraph who remains unnamed. What exactly did Dezel and Ponytail Dezel do? I hope the game explains it further at some point. Also, wasn't Zaveid marketed as using twin pistols? He's a carbon copy of Dezel.

I did like Dezel a lot as a character, so I'll have to disagree to an extent. He subverts the tough guy trope in a lot of ways by being genuinely nice and helpful at times, and despite being standoffish you can tell he actually likes traveling with Sorey and co. Plus, his soft spot for animals and stealth appreciation of Lailah's bad jokes was gold.

I'll argue that the hat ruins both Dezel and Zaveid. In the two scenes that Dezel's eyes are uncovered he looks a hundred times better than he does with his stupid inverted Michael Jackson hat. And it looks terrible on Zaveid.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm near towards the end and a few thoughts:

1. To be honest, the story being all over the place is well... Overblown. I could still follow the story but it definitely sure feels a bit rushed. I didn't really care about Maltran though and she just... Died. Not too bad but it could have been a bit better.

2. It's true the first 70% of the game is pretty good. The latter parts can get mixed. Some people might not like the "non-linear quest progress part" done in the latter part of the game though.

3. Characters are still solid, even Alisha surprisingly. Though Rose >>>>> Alisha.

MechaX

I did the boss fight just when you get Rose properly.

Holy fuck, it is like everything that has been wrong with the Tales battle systems for the past few titles just all accumulated into one, majestically unfun boss battle. We have a boss where it just decides that it doesn't want to be comboed anymore and just wrecks your shit when he feels like (like in Graces and Xillia 1/2), starts spamming one or two really powerful attacks that not only destroy you if you don't dodge, but will absolutely wreck your dumbass AI partners (like a handful of Graces' more notorious bosses), and probably the worst battle camera I have ever seen that loves to just zoom in on this dragon man's crotch rather than actually show what the fuck is going on.

And yes, I used the battle tactics stuff and also the right stick command settings frequently. No, I could not stop my allies from running straight into the boss's face and then deciding it was a good time to start casting a spell or using an item.

Like, just... fucking yikes. What was initially a pretty cool story moment was absolutely destroyed by the game's battle system and camera.

yami4ct

I did the boss fight just when you get Rose properly.

Holy fuck, it is like everything that has been wrong with the Tales battle systems for the past few titles just all accumulated into one, majestically unfun boss battle. We have a boss where it just decides that it doesn't want to be comboed anymore and just wrecks your shit when he feels like (like in Graces and Xillia 1/2), starts spamming one or two really powerful attacks that not only destroy you if you don't dodge, but will absolutely wreck your dumbass AI partners (like a handful of Graces' more notorious bosses), and probably the worst battle camera I have ever seen that loves to just zoom in on this dragon man's crotch rather than actually show what the fuck is going on.

And yes, I used the battle tactics stuff and also the right stick command settings frequently. No, I could not stop my allies from running straight into the boss's face and then deciding it was a good time to start casting a spell or using an item.

Like, just... fucking yikes. What was initially a pretty cool story moment was absolutely destroyed by the game's battle system and camera.

I had some trouble with the fight when it when it asked me to just hold out, but once Dezel and Rose joined it went pretty smoothly. I just did the sort of standard armitize, do short combos when open and then stay back and abuse armitize heals when needed. It wasn't a pretty boss fight, but some later ones actively gave me more trouble (Looking at you, Griffon).

As someone else suggested earlier in the thread, try messing around with the AI strategies a bit. It doesn't fix the AI, but it helps a lot. Setting the AI casters to attack at range reduced their deaths a ton for me.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
The sidequests are flooding in after the
business with the cardinal
. Glad that Rose keeps a log.

PKrockin

I had some trouble with the fight when it when it asked me to just hold out, but once Dezel and Rose joined it went pretty smoothly. I just did the sort of standard armitize, do short combos when open and then stay back and abuse armitize heals when needed. It wasn't a pretty boss fight, but some later ones actively gave me more trouble (Looking at you, Griffon).

As someone else suggested earlier in the thread, try messing around with the AI strategies a bit. It doesn't fix the AI, but it helps a lot. Setting the AI casters to attack at range reduced their deaths a ton for me.
Yeah, I didn't have trouble with this one either.

The only enemies that have been destroying me are bird enemies in general, and the
mammoths
in the water dungeon. Several of them bunched together spraying water left and right in an arc in front of them was really hard to deal with.

Top Bottom