• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria |OT| - Sorey, Modders did what Bamcouldn't!

PKrockin

I've been avoiding commenting on the skill system because I haven't really understood what people hate so fiercely about it. I think it's A) that you actually do have to put some thought/work into it to get good skills, rather than just slapping on the best hat and moving on, feeling good about having made a choice and B) eventually, after significantly better stuff stat-wise comes along, they feel like their effort is wasted when they switch away and lose their nice setup. And of course C) they might have no idea what they're doing and don't care.

There are two things I would change about the fusion/skill system:

1. Make equipment fuseable with more than just other equipment of the same name. It would let your old setup be useful since you would be able to transfer your old equipment skills onto the new stuff with better stats.
2. Make some UI improvements, like being able to check the skill sheet directly from the shop and fusion menus.

I'm finding the skill/fusion system kind of fun. The menu juggling can be a bit much switching back and forth between fusion and the equipment screen to see the skill sheet though.

Durante

I've created a small game-specific plugin for GeDoSaTo to increase the character shadow resolution to be on par with the environment shadow detail.

modn6k1j.jpg

It was always a bit distracting for me that at the highest shadow setting the environment shadows were pretty detailed and relatively sharp while the character shadows were just some blobs without detail.

bobohoro

The skill system is interesting, but ultimately ends up being a chore for me due to not having the freedom of choosing skills in a fusion (or having to grind some extra drops just to shuffle skills around, which I'm not too fond of) and the rather unintuitive/convulted UI. I agree that the idea is good, but the execution is rather lacking. Like many things in Zestiria.

The skill system is interesting, but ultimately ends up being a chore for me due to not having the freedom of choosing skills in a fusion (or having to grind some extra drops just to shuffle skills around, which I'm not too fond of) and the rather unintuitive/convulted UI. I agree that the idea is good, but the execution is rather lacking. Like many things in Zestiria.

Yeah, it was an interesting idea that was implemented poorly.

MegaPanda

Yeah, getting the proper skills on equipment to create stacks is a pain but the stack bonuses can also get pretty ridiculous. Having more freedom in choosing which skills go in which slot could easily break the game and lowering the stack bonuses to compensate won't be much fun. They definitely improved a lot compared to dualizing in Graces and I'd like to see they bring a more refined version in a third attempt

They definitely improved a lot compared to dualizing in Graces and I'd like to see they bring a more refined version in a third attempt

The stuff in Graces was easier to understand, though. I'm pretty much at the endgame in Zestiria and I still don't have as much of a handle on the skill system as I'd like. But I'd say that's more to do with how random it is for certain skills to be attached to equipment and in what slots.

clo1_2000

Banned
I don't know what it is, but this game scratched my JRPG itch in a manner I haven't experienced in a while. It definitely isn't perfect, but 20+ hours in I'm still having fun. Much better than Legend of Legacy!

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I don't know what it is, but this game scratched my JRPG itch in a manner I haven't experienced in a while. It definitely isn't perfect, but 20+ hours in I'm still having fun. Much better than Legend of Legacy!

Yeah I feel this too, I haven't really commited to a JRPG in years. So it feels fun and fresh, annoyances aside.

Kasumin

I really don't get the hate for the skill system.

It's a lot more interesting than anything else I've ever seen in a Tales game (which was mostly forgettable).

Interesting doesn't mean good, though. As others have pointed out, it's overly cumbersome and needlessly complicated. Tales games tend to focus on action and battles, yet this skill system keeps the player in the menu far longer than it should.

Honestly I would've rather had a Xillia story than a Zestiria story for an anime. Huge mistake. Plus we're wasting ufo's talents on something shitty.

Good to know I'm not the only one who feels that way. There was so much left unexplored in Xillia. The sequel sure as hell didn't add anything of value. They wasted a really good world with a really good premise.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I've created a small game-specific plugin for GeDoSaTo to increase the character shadow resolution to be on par with the environment shadow detail.

modn6k1j.jpg

It was always a bit distracting for me that at the highest shadow setting the environment shadows were pretty detailed and relatively sharp while the character shadows were just some blobs without detail.

Thank you!

Oh btw, for someone with a GTX 980 TI, is it fine to set GeDoSaTo to use Lanzcos?

I see stuttering in game sometime and I'm not sure what is causing it (didn't really investigate all the options).

Bladenic

Finished the trials.

Wind > Earth > Water = Fire

Music wise:

Wind = Water > Earth > Fire

Fusion mystic artes:

Earth Revolution = Flamberge (my most used) = Wind one = Aqua Limit

But they're all pretty great. I feel bad for Rose, I feel like Sorey's cut-ins are generally better for the armatized MAs.

Ascenion

Just made it to the Earth trial.....that cutscene....lol. Anyway I must say this game is very charming and quickly becoming my third favorite Tales game. Still struggling a bit with the systems but I'm working through it. Music is fantastic and the dub is actually pretty good imo.

Bowlie

Banned
I loved the conversations (the ones that pop in the left side of the screen while you're walking) between Edna and Dezel at the wind shrine. I was getting annoyed by them, and then it was like the game knew that and played me.

I know that this is a little detail, but when I think about Teepo and that handmaid (forgot the name, but it's the one that does poses and has a shining smile) in Xillia, I'm just glad that type of humour isn't here and instead I'm getting some Jade vibes.

In fact, he's in the game, right? I think I saw some screens showing him in his Malkuth outfit.

I loved the conversations (the ones that pop in the left side of the screen while you're walking) between Edna and Dezel at the wind shrine. I was getting annoyed by them, and then it was like the game knew that and played me.

I know that this is a little detail, but when I think about Teepo and that handmaid (forgot the name, but it's the one that does poses and has a shining smile) in Xillia, I'm just glad that type of humour isn't here and instead I'm getting some Jade vibes.

In fact, he's in the game, right? I think I saw some screens showing him in his Malkuth outfit.
Rowen.

I don't know how to not be terrible in Mikleos challenge gauntlet thing, the pig farmers just wreck me and I have no idea how to play him

How are people finding old equipment useless? It's the opposite for me. I have all the upgrades from finding the furry things on the old equipment so the new equipment which only has 1 skill on it is significantly worse. How are you supposed to get skills on equipment without fusing or finding the furry things? Also is equipment really a random purchase at shops? Really now? The skills system in this game is a mess and detracting from my enjoyment significantly.

I've just reached the final dungeon and I can say for sure at least one thing I'm disappointed about is how non-existent dragons were throughout the main story for how much they were hyped up in the JP pre-release info.

When I'm in the open field, I can see birds/flying monsters flapping its wings at a low framerate. Also, when I use Fire kamui's Calamity Flare on a group of monsters the framerate drops too. Not that it bothers me, but it happens.

Right, I realized that too. But I always thought that it's the game's code/way to maintain good performance by reducing the details of distant objects.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
When I'm in the open field, I can see birds/flying monsters flapping its wings at a low framerate. Also, when I use Fire kamui's Calamity Flare on a group of monsters the framerate drops too. Not that it bothers me, but it happens.

I think that was done on purpose because detailing far objects can cause issues. Remember, this game is 90% seamless in terms of cutscenes to fields to battles so a lot of things have to be as detailed as possible and retain every asset (unlike before, there's a difference between cutscene model and field model).

Am I the only one who plays Tales games for plot and character? I like the battle systems too and enjoy playing them but in almost every one I do the most basic and uncomplicated stuff during battle, rarely switch who I control and don't go in depth into the stat or skill stuff. Hell, if it were turn based it wouldn't even shift my want to play it an iota. I like the combat but it's not what I'm all about with Tales games.

I like this game. Combat is fun, I ignore skill fusing for the most part and I like the characters. Maybe I have a high tolerance for this stuff.

Then again I thought Symphonia and it's characters were meh and Abyss was the best one so what do I know?

Bowlie

Banned
Right, I realized that too. But I always thought that it's the game's code/way to maintain good performance by reducing the details of distant objects.

I think that was done on purpose because detailing far objects can cause issues. Remember, this game is 90% seamless in terms of cutscenes to fields to battles so a lot of things have to be as detailed as possible and retain every asset (unlike before, there's a difference between cutscene model and field model).

Yeah my bad, I didn't think about that.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I have a kinda endgame question

I thought this game was about dragons? I only encountered Eizen, that mini-dragon thing in Marlind, and Tiamat... Weren't there supposed to be more dragons or something?

Kasumin

I thought this game was about dragons? I only encountered Eizen, that mini-dragon thing in Marlind, and Tiamat... Weren't there supposed to be more dragons or something?

Welcome to the modern Tales series! Where
games are hyped up for elements that they ultimately fail to deliver on!

That was one of my biggest disappointments from my experience with the Japanese version, to be honest.

Firestorm

Am I the only one who plays Tales games for plot and character? I like the battle systems too and enjoy playing them but in almost every one I do the most basic and uncomplicated stuff during battle, rarely switch who I control and don't go in depth into the stat or skill stuff. Hell, if it were turn based it wouldn't even shift my want to play it an iota. I like the combat but it's not what I'm all about with Tales games.

I like this game. Combat is fun, I ignore skill fusing for the most part and I like the characters. Maybe I have a high tolerance for this stuff.

Then again I thought Symphonia and it's characters were meh and Abyss was the best one so what do I know?
I think playing for the character interactions makes sense but the actual plot in the games are pretty mediocre. I play Tales almost precisely for that though. I know what to expect and it's a calm, relaxing ride. That's one of the reasons that the skill system is so frustrating. I'm not here to spend hours mix and matching through multiple menus to figure out what is best. I just want to play my JRPG with a fun battle system to wind down my day.

Dice//

Banned
Pretty low for them tbh. But it's just one guy, still a good score. Also that image makes me realize that I love the cut-ins in this game, especially how they start with a face cut-in then segue into full body art.

(Pssst, he's a she ;)

I'm actually really agreeing with the somewhat 'lukewarm' reviews. For all the good ideas in Zesty (many of which I hope stay) there are a few glaring faults in narrative and gameplay structure. That RPGFan "low for them" is honestly still high to me. It's a 6.5/10 of a game for me, but it doesn't mean I won't play it, like it, and enjoy it till the end. :)

Framerate issue?

(PS3 ver. btw) Just about every cutscene sorta has a few skips too.

Dugna

It is, so it can render many enemies from afar, its something that had in PS3 era tales because if they didn't then exploring the world would be to much.

PKrockin

I don't think any Tales games actually drop frames when they're stressed, do they? All of them I can think of just slow down rather than reducing the framerate.

Rpgmonkey

That was one of my biggest disappointments from my experience with the Japanese version, to be honest.

Hmm,
I'd say they're important due to how they're a key factor linking Seraphs to normal human issues, but like most Tales games anything that's not a human(oid) doesn't really get a ton of screen time. I wouldn't call this a modern Tales problem, the series has never really been too great at making things like Spirits, Dragons, etc. be as frequently involved in world affairs as you'd expect them to be given their stature and power. They pop up in a few scattered scenes and sometimes at the end, but for the most part they try to keep the focus on the lower beings.

Bladenic

I read as much, and it does indeed seem to be hyped up for no true reason other than coolness but I still have stuff left to do in the game.
Even Graces had all those optional dragon bosses lmao

Just beat the main game.

Interesting things to note;

- It appears that all the seraphim party members survived. We see Mikleo exploring some ruins so I expect the others are alive as well.

- I didn't quite catch this part but it looks like part way through the credits there is a time skip showing Rose's tombstone with the Sparrowfeather/Scattered Bones twins showing up along with what looks like a new Shepherd and the 4 seraphim watching from behind.

- I'm not sure what happened to Sorey, since he said that he was going to become Maotelus' vessel which would require him to shut off his senses and go into sleep until enough malevolence can be cleared from that land. Maybe that's why he doesn't appear to Mikleo until some time later where it's clear Mikleo has grown up? That along with the whole part with Rose's tombstone would indicated that some amount of time has passed and perhaps Sorey has woken up.

- No idea how the DLC fits into this as I am about to start but I'm going to take a guess and say that the DLC completely ignores the timeskip stuff since it doesn't make sense to follow it imo.

Bladenic

The umbrella I have on Edna is Tipo colored and it's amazing.

Edit: How old are the characters supposed to be? Rose in particular. Because
during Dezel's flashback she looks the exact same and that was supposed to be 5 years ago?

KainXVIII

Is that only me, but i think that Atakk normin looks like Midna? And there is also Ganondorf as main villain :D

Can i use that shadow plugin without upscaling resolution?

7.1 is never getting fixed is it... :(

I mean, at least there's a mod that fixes it, but I can't help but feel that something THAT simple is exactly the kind of thing that shouldn't require a mod. Like, DSFix levels of "Shouldn't be needed" - But worse IMO, since this is a full on Crash to Desktop tier issue and not something as mundane as awful IQ/lack of options.

Well, I finally finished the main game and have done a few hours of Alisha's Story, and did anyone else think the final boss was just a massive jump in difficulty from the fight before it? I admittedly didn't tinker with the skill system too much to really take full advantage of it but I managed to get to the end without to much of a hassle. Then suddenly the final boss fight starts and I got absolutely decimated in like 15 seconds on normal. Even on simple the fight lasted almost 15 minutes... Was that fight just bullshit or was just not using skills to their full advantage only coming back to bite me in the ass at the very end?

ULTROS!

Regarding the ending:

Ending was obviously rushed. I mean it's like they just killed of Sorey and nothing in the end, like no grievances or memories and such.

Droplet

Edit: How old are the characters supposed to be? Rose in particular. Because
during Dezel's flashback she looks the exact same and that was supposed to be 5 years ago?

I don't think they ever specify.
Making new character models that aren't going to be reused is hard work.

Speaking of (sort of), a way to turn down the town chatter volume would have been nice. The amount of times I heard "you'll hurt your hand!" was pretty annoying, especially because it was reused in every single town.

Did anyone in Zestiria have their ages specified? I guess Mikleo and Sorey considering the flashback they show, but that's about it. This chart with everyone's ages in the series just kind of has the ToZ cast floating off to the side lol.

Holy shit LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL @ meeting the Dark Turtlez in Katz Corner. Wasn't too thrilled about getting my shit wrecked by him though.

I am missing something I guess, but Kratos is 28? What?That doesn't make sense does it (cause of Lloyd)

I assume that's how old he was when he
stopped aging.

Top Bottom