• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria |OT| - Sorey, Modders did what Bamcouldn't!

Shouta

SO I've been reading a lot of negative feedback on this game for a lot of time, since japanese release.

What's up with it? does it really have problems? How is it compared to other tales games? And how long is it?

There are more issues to the game that become more apparent the deeper into the game you get. It's really odd because the game starts off well enough but it really falls off hard as you go towards the end of the game. A lot of the game systems are padded without thinking about it, for example, and the combat system has problems that ultimately make it feel like it's a step down when compared to recent titles, IMO.

I think the thing that bothered me the most was that the cutscene direction, choreography, etc all took a huge hit when compared to both Xillia and Xillia 2. It's like they didn't bother taking any of the lessons learned from those games and applying it here.

RPGCrazied

Most folks that played the JP version were disappointed in at least some manner.

I thought it was mostly cause of the performance issues an camera. I can deal with mediocre stories. Most all Tales games have that problem. Vesperia though is the best Tales to me.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
So I've read, Kayos just sounds particularly disappointed.

I was in the game's final act where I just stopped playing. The game isn't very good at all imo. I had more fun with Hearts R than Zestiria. And I don't even like Hearts R. If that's saying much.

Taruranto

My problem with Zestiria criticisms, it's that a lot of people shit on it only to praise Xillia 5 seconds later.

FUCKING XILLIA, THE GAME WERE THEY COULDN'T BOTHER TO DO MORE THAN 1 PORT AND 1 AREA. AND THEY EVEN HAD THE BALLS TO PORT THEM 1:1 ON THE SEQUEL.

So, while I'm wary of the game, I'd rather wait and decide it for myself.

My major issues with the game were all technical issues like slowdown and the like, so I'm really looking forward to playing a more stable version of Zestiria.

The camera stuff never gave me a huge problem (save for a couple of really bad moments midway through).

Most fun I've had with a Tales game in some time.

Falk

that puzzling face
Don't think I got the impression that the Zestiria opinions in JP OT ever really got posted alongside praise for Xillia.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
My problem with Zestiria criticisms, it's that a lot of people shit on it only to praise Xillia 5 seconds later.

FUCKING XILLIA, THE GAME WERE THEY COULDN'T BOTHER TO DO MORE THAN 1 PORT AND 1 AREA. AND THEY EVEN HAD THE BALLS TO PORT THEM 1:1 ON THE SEQUEL.

Uh... overreacting much?

Peff

Don't think I got the impression that the Zestiria opinions in JP OT ever really got posted alongside praise for Xillia.

Yeah, if anything many of us got it for the Graces connection. Which it doesn't quite live up to, but it's still fun.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I think the thing that bothered me the most was that the cutscene direction, choreography, etc all took a huge hit when compared to both Xillia and Xillia 2. It's like they didn't bother taking any of the lessons learned from those games and applying it here.
That and the animation looks like garbage during movement. The generic walking and running animations lack any sort of weight or momentum resulting in something that just looks awkward. It's a genuine downgrade from older titles. It wasn't like Xillia was all that smooth either but this is even worse. It just looks ancient to me. :\

That's kind of a pet peeve of mine for any RPG. You spend so much time running around the world but if the animation and control are of poor quality it kind of makes said exploration a lot less satisfying.

StereoVsn

Uh... overreacting much?

Eh, that review is a bit weird actually. Some of the negatives about the dungeons sound like they actually took some time to do proper dungeon design. That sort of shit is very similar to what a lot of DRPGs do so that's not necessarily a negative.

Now, "in-game currency to fast travel and that you can't save everywhere." that sounds annoying but shall be remedied by playing through the PC version (i.e. gold hacks will be doable fairly quick).

This has probably been asked and answered before, but I don't want to read much about the game. I've literally just started and I've returned to my home town. Is there any sort of faster way of getting around? A sprint button I'm missing? I normally like open worlds but this is a little concerning that I'm getting bored of "running" already.

Anbec7

So... to the people who are playing... so far no issues like the ones that where present on the JPN version? Framerate going crazy, textures. etc?

Peff

This has probably been asked and answered before, but I don't want to read much about the game. I've literally just started and I've returned to my home town. Is there any sort of faster way of getting around? A sprint button I'm missing? I normally like open worlds but this is a little concerning that I'm getting bored of "running" already.

Yeah, you get a sprint skill later, but it's only sort of useful - you need to slowly gain speed either through winning battles or getting random dialogue in towns.

Faenix1

So in general, this worth it for full price or do those playing it recommend to wait for price drops?

After two days of watching and listening I've not really swayed one way or the other.

Yeah, you get a sprint skill later, but it's only sort of useful - you need to slowly gain speed either through winning battles or getting random dialogue in towns.

That sounds like the most pointlessly awkward way to handle a sprint function. But I'm happy there is something like that in place I suppose. Thanks.

RPGCrazied

Anyone watch the anime yet? Dawn of the Shepard. I can't wait to see it. Apparently even a full fledged anime series is coming 2016, but I doubt it will get a dub. :(

Aeana

Anyone watch the anime yet? Dawn of the Shepard. I can't wait to see it. Apparently even a full fledged anime series is coming 2016, but I doubt it will get a dub. :(

The OVA is just the introductory events of the game in animation form (with a few events changed up just slightly to suit the medium better). It's pretty good.

khaaan

Now, "in-game currency to fast travel and that you can't save everywhere." that sounds annoying but shall be remedied by playing through the PC version (i.e. gold hacks will be doable fairly quick).

Man, I wish I read up on these things before so I could complain about them before the game came out and still buy the game anyways because even though my enjoyment of Tales games has been dropping and my heart breaks when I think of what the games could have been I'm a sucker who can't say no to the franchise.

Still looking forward to it and still telling myself that I'll pass on Berseria. ;_;

Aeana

Now I understand what people mean when they talk about camera issues.

I have a whole folder of "battle camera greatest hits." A sampling:

B8JYdAJCEAAgpPv.png:large

B8Kfh2NCAAI9zxK.png:large

thatdenalidude

Neo Member
Anyone know how well the multiplayer works? My friends and I get Tales games for the couch co-op. The 4 of us couldn't play Xillia 1 & 2 because the linking system took control away from the linked player. I don't want to run into a similar issue.

Stuart444

The one thing that pissed me off during the JP release was one interview with Baba making excuses for the camera and about how it was difficult to handle or something like that.

So they just went with it.

Urgh, I hope ToB doesn't have that issue, if it does, I hope they catch some hell for it.

Anyone know how well the multiplayer works? My friends and I get Tales games for the couch co-op. The 4 of us couldn't play Xillia 1 & 2 because the linking system took control away from the linked player. I don't want to run into a similar issue.

Outside of camera issues, expect to only use 2 players (both players play as the humans). Because the transformation system does the same thing to non-human (when transformed, control is obviously away from players 3 and 4)

Rpgmonkey

I'm not in love with Zestiria but Xillia is the worst of the two I'd say because of problems like that.

Zestiria generally feels like they put in some effort to attempt more substance even if a lot of it isn't as polished as I'd like. Almost everything that wasn't really important to the main story in Xillia felt really cheaply done, if it was even there at all (I'll give them credit and say the stuff that did relate to the main story was done pretty well).

Falk

that puzzling face
So in general, this worth it for full price or do those playing it recommend to wait for price drops?

I'd personally say it's worth Zestiria + Symphonia HD (30fps or not) if you're hopping on the Steam preorder campaign.

Who knows if Tales is gonna be one of those franchises that goes down to like 2 bucks on Steam sales. We don't really have a frame of reference.

HAHAHAHA

but I doubt it will get a dub. :(

No malice intended, why the ':('?

Vamphuntr

Is the coop repaired in this one? I plan on playing with a friend and it was irritating in Xilia. I hope when you fuse with another character that the controls go back to coop when you revert back to normal.

T
Outside of camera issues, expect to only use 2 players (both players play as the humans). Because the transformation system does the same thing to non-human (when transformed, control is obviously away from players 3 and 4)

Eeew :(

zakujanai

The camera will destroy your spirit long before you even have 4 characters (I'm on 8 hours and only just got 4). By then though the linking system will have already made 1 of the 4 an add-on for player 1.

Basically, if 4 player is what you're after, stay well away from this.

Faenix1

I'd personally say it's worth Zestiria + Symphonia HD (30fps or not) if you're hopping on the Steam preorder campaign.

Who knows if Tales is gonna be one of those franchises that goes down to like 2 bucks on Steam sales. We don't really have a frame of reference.

Got Symphonia Chronicles on PS3 and I'd prefer to keep them all on consoles. So no I wasn't planning to go the steam route.

Falk

that puzzling face
Wonder if the SAG-AFTRA strike if it goes through precludes working on anime based on video games. Heh :(

Got Symphonia Chronicles on PS3 and I'd prefer to keep them all on consoles. So no I wasn't planning to go the steam route.

Eh, you're on your own for that decision then!

I have Symphonia HD on PS3 too but at some point that thing's going in the closet. I'm weird that way. Digital+PC4life.

thatdenalidude

Neo Member
I see. It's possible we'll only have to do that for difficult fights though so I think we'll give it a shot.

Abyss had the best system for 4 player multiplayer. You could just tell your friend to make a magic circle for you to use.

thatdenalidude

Neo Member
The camera will destroy your spirit long before you even have 4 characters (I'm on 8 hours and only just got 4). By then though the linking system will have already made 1 of the 4 an add-on for player 1.

Basically, if 4 player is what you're after, stay well away from this.

Jeez, 8 hours for a 4th character. We've dealt with the terrible camera's for a while. Symphonia just ignores everyone but player 1 for the camera.

Bladenic

Random question, is the prologue OVA on the disc or included? Thought it was included with the JP so wondering if they kept it here too.

Stuart444

Random question, is the prologue OVA on the disc or included? Thought it was included with the JP so wondering if they kept it here too.

with the EU CE, it came in the steel case along with the sound track selection disc.

Not sure about the US version.

Top Bottom