• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria |OT| - Sorey, Modders did what Bamcouldn't!

Rising_Hei

I'm liking it so far, it's a goofy and relaxing game.
I feel like this game could run @ 120 FPS on PS4 tho, i don't get why it's 30, the combat feels slow and less responsitive compared to other Tales of because of this :/ my only downside so far for now.

Stuart444

So, 5h30 in and the game is still awesome so far.
The music is pretty good, the story is alright, currently
fleeing the castle
I'm kinda surprised I'm loving it this much, after all the complain in the import thread.

Also, wondering what audio language you guys are picking, of course I went with Japanese first and loving it but will pick English for my first NG+

English for first playthrough, Japanese for second.

I'm liking it so far, it's a goofy and relaxing game.
I feel like this game could run @ 120 FPS on PS4 tho, i don't get why it's 30, the combat feels slow and less responsitive compared to other Tales of because of this :/ my only downside so far for now.

Been gone over before but animations are locked to the frame rate and unlocking it would cause issues due to this. An issue that will hopefully be resolved with Tales of Berseria.

Faenix1

Anyone know how NA is gonna be handing out the DLC? Or if they are doing that "Free Alisha DLC" thing?

I dont know why but keeping my preorder seems to hinge on how that's being handed out. Though I dont even know if it's an expensive DLC lol

Anyone know how NA is gonna be handing out the DLC? Or if they are doing that "Free Alisha DLC" thing?

I dont know why but keeping my preorder seems to hinge on how that's being handed out. Though I dont even know if it's an expensive DLC lol

I think they already stated free for the first 2 weeks. We will see though

Kouriozan

Downloaded the free skits DLC, first one I use is about Idolmaster with Edna and Rose and I didn't even meet Edna yet :lol
Guess I'll watch everything in post game.

RPGCrazied

Are those extra skits and anime costumes free or cost extra? I have a feeling those Evangelion costumes are going to cost like $4 each.

LeonSPBR

In the Team Destiny or Team Destiny-style games levels are usually much less useful than the equipment and/or skill systems. Zestiria's among those.

In this leveling is mainly for leveling up titles, which give artes or various passive abilities, and boost stats. It's kind of an awkward double-layered leveling system.

Ah OK, thanks for explaining. Ugh this crap of leveling your titles is so boring, didn't like it in Graces f.

Kouriozan

Are those extra skits and anime costumes free or cost extra? I have a feeling those Evangelion costumes are going to cost like $4 each.

The skit pack is free on the EU store, I doubt the costumes will be free too.
Someone mentioned something about the DLC skits having spoilers in them or somethign so be careful.

That's what I feared, thankfully I only saw the Idolmaster one.

Stuart444

Skits are free atm, anime costumes are always pay for.

Looks like they moved forward the Steam release an entire day. Currently 2 days and 21 hours until release.

It's literally right before Tuesday in the UK.

I'd wait til Monday and see what it says then before anyone jumps the gun :)

lol holy hell, that capital. The beginning of the game was good enough, but the city is kinda fucking my mood up right now. This is one of the most hideous things I've seen in a long time. Usually I don't care about stuff like that, but this is a real mood killer right here. And you aren't leaving that place forever apparently. There was a water capital in Tales of the Abyss on PS2 that looked miles better than this.
Because back then, they were using decent art direction to hide shortcomings. The aesthetics generally took a bad turn after Vesperia as we all know, but man, even Xillia handled some cities much more gracefully than this. Now they are just screaming ,,this series is running on no budget". God, why don't they bring cel shading back...

Falk

that puzzling face
I'm part of the problem I guess,

Don't feel bad:

edit: Actually if you know my dark secret you shouldn't be listening to me on how to plat Tales games.

Like literally put me on your GAF ignore list. Save yourself.

For Xillia 2, I was close to plat, a huge project was coming up which would have been crunch for weeks on end, and I really wanted to plat before that, so I used the ~$15 I had in PSN credit sitting there for years to buy 30 levels via level up DLC for speeding up the lv200 cheevo.
I'm part of the problem.

Stuart444

They might not be expecting many people to buy them (it's easy enough to demand things, it's another thing to actually buy them. same with a lot of begging for stuff lol)

So the price is so they make money off those that actually choose to buy them. It is the first time they have brought Eva costumes over after all :)

Which is still quite surprising honestly.

For Xillia 2, I was close to plat, a huge project was coming up which would have been crunch for weeks on end, and I really wanted to plat before that, so I used the ~$15 I had in PSN credit sitting there for years to buy 30 levels via level up DLC for speeding up the lv200 cheevo.
I'm part of the problem.

Dat dedication to the plat. >.>

RPGCrazied

Bamco conditioned us to want costumes and snatched them away.

I know. I miss getting them from doing quests in the game like Symphonia.

Don't feel bad:

I'm part of the problem.

Hehe, yeah, I'll never buy levels/money or anything that isn't cosmetic in any game.

They might not be expecting many people to buy them (it's easy enough to demand things, it's another thing to actually buy them. same with a lot of begging for stuff lol)

So the price is so they make money off those that actually choose to buy them. It is the first time they have brought Eva costumes over after all :)

Which is still quite surprising honestly.

Still no word if NA is getting them, but if EU is, surely NA will.

Faenix1

EDIT: the three preorder DLCs worth skipping? I dont buy DLC but I do like getting em for preorders. lol

I think they already stated free for the first 2 weeks. We will see though

So they are likely gonna just throw it up on PSN? If that's the case I may just cancel my preorder and save the $84 CAD (can't believe I am/was tempted at such a BS price lol)

Stuart444

Still no word if NA is getting them, but if EU is, surely NA will.

I'd be shocked if NA didn't get them. EU/NA Bamco stuff are usually pretty samey now. Same week release for many games, same DLC, etc. Only difference is contact info (NA pages vs EU pages) and possibly CE differences because of the different Bamco Branches doing different stuff.

I'm quite happy though with MOST Bamco stuff being like that now. Ie Digimon Story in the US is out in Feb, it will probably be the same for EU and I'm pretty confident in that without even hearing the EU date. Just because of the way they have been recently.

aitakute

I'm gonna buy this digital in NA store because it's cheaper than buying import version here in Japan (Like 9000 yen+) But I have a question, how do they handle the Alisha chapter dlc in NA digital store? I don't see they list that in the bonus. Just a theme, mystic artes, weapons set, costumes set

Stuart444

I'm gonna buy this digital in NA store because it's cheaper than buying import version here in Japan (Like 9000 yen+) But I have a question, how do they handle the Alisha chapter dlc in NA digital store? I don't see they list that in the bonus. Just a theme, mystic artes, weapons set, costumes set

Maybe the Alisha chapter will be up on release date in the NA store?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Will the Alisha DLC be free on US PSN and can it be compatible with my R3 (Asia/English) copy?

That PS4 difference will make the experience much better. The drops on the PS3 version, ugh. I am not one that easily gets bothered by that, but this game was bad in some fights.

The performance of the PS3 version ( when i was playing theJPN PS3 version ) made me stop ..it bothered me SO MUCH i couldn't finish the game

Those frame drops happens ALWAYS in the most annoying moments and they broke my immersion and i couldn't enjoy the fights ( aside from the camera issues ).

Still haven't received my PS4 Copy but if the framerate is steady i'll be a happy player.

zakujanai

Jeez, 8 hours for a 4th character. We've dealt with the terrible camera's for a while. Symphonia just ignores everyone but player 1 for the camera.

I co-op with my partner so I'm familiar with that problem. It's not quite like Symphonia, occasionally the camera will be fine. When it's not though it's far worse. Had a few fights where it latches onto player 1's target so much that even player 1 can't get into the picture.

I may just be taking my time, saw somebody else on here around the same point as me in 5 and a half hours? The linking system will mean 2 of the 4 players are left with no character a lot of the time. Works ok as a two player feature in Xillia because you can be anyone but in this it means you can only play as the human characters and my favourite so far is a seraphim.

random bump, but im kinda glad i didnt cancel the amazon preorder right away. Was just emailed saying I will get thursday delivery on it. I contacted customer service, they updated it to one day shipping so its now coming guarentee monday delivery. Go figure.

LowParry

Ugh the wait for Tuesday. I've been itching for a JRPG all year. With all the Witcher 3 and MGSV play time, I need to relax with some cooky Tales action.

K.Sabot

Tales of reviews have almost always been incredibly mixed.

Only Symphonia got a super positive treatment from my memory.

Like, Vesperia has only 1 point more on metacritic over Xillia. I stick to fan impressions.

Persona7

Banned
https://instagram.com/p/86KCCQRg_8/

The Zestiria CE is limited to 20,000 in NA. I think the Symphonia CE was limited to 18,000? I can't look at my box right now.

HFsagRZ.jpg

I can't tell if the left side of the photo is the actual art on the box everything comes in but it reminds me of the symphonia CE art.

Aeana

Wait holy shit Zestiria has title leveling like Graces f?

I fucking loved that system

It's not even remotely as good in this game as it is in Graces, so don't get your hopes up. In Zestiria, titles are kind of grouped up. and the ones of the same group progress and give the same rewards. There's only 6-ish groups of titles per character, and the titles level up to like level 20 or something. As a kicker, the progress on titles is gated by rank (bronze/gold/silver) and how you increase the rank on a particular title differs. Could be story, completing some challenge, etc. You don't know. And gaining actual exp on the title only* occurs when you gain a level on your character. (* There are some foods that let you get title exp too if you meet certain in-battle challenges while eating them)

aravuus

It's not even remotely as good in this game as it is in Graces, so don't get your hopes up. In Zestiria, titles are kind of grouped up. and the ones of the same group progress and give the same rewards. There's only 6-ish groups of titles per character, and the titles level up to like level 20 or something. As a kicker, the progress on titles is gated by rank (bronze/gold/silver) and how you increase the rank on a particular title differs. Could be story, completing some challenge, etc. You don't know. And gaining actual exp on the title only* occurs when you gain a level on your character. (* There are some foods that let you get title exp too if you meet certain in-battle challenges while eating them)

:(

I guess it's something, at least

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Man thank fuck for that wind-dash ability, shit is so much more fun running around chaining fights to increase the running speed. The over-world is so barren and dull normally.

Rpgmonkey

Are all the difficulties open at the start of the game or do they need to be unlocked?

You unlock a higher one by winning a number of battles (don't know the exact number, a quick search says 300 and then 400) at your current highest difficulty, up to Chaos.

Mendrox

The PS4 version is soooo much better than the PS3 version oh lord, thank you. Makes the game way better. Sadly the englisch dub doesn't sound that good (Alisha e.g. is really good imo)

Jonnax

So I've got the game on order for about £10 cheaper than the store price and I was browsing the DLC and noticed that there's a micro transaction for double gald, exp and normin.
Living a life of little free time I was wondering if there's any worth in getting one or the other or all.

Since some people are mentioning that XP doesn't do much.

Sorry I'm part of the problem.

Finally caved and preordered the game on Steam during my lunch break at work.
So satisfying to see Zestiria and Symphonia in my library already.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The PS4 version is soooo much better than the PS3 version oh lord, thank you. Makes the game way better. Sadly the englisch dub doesn't sound that good (Alisha e.g. is really good imo)

Man I'm playing through the PS3 version and it seems to be fine by me, only hitches i've noticed is when sometimes cut-scenes first begin, there's a second or so of pause before it resumes. Maybe they've tightened it up from the original JP release or maybe i'm just not using too much magical attacks, but it seems great during combat as well. Worst drop i've noticed is a cutscene with a lot of fogging and all the character models front and center, it was running at 20~ frames for a few seconds before it resumed to normal.

Really love the on-field battles with no transitions or pause/load in between, camera is a piece of shit indoors though. Heard there's a patch out, will download it after i get home from work and see if it helps.

Top Bottom