• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria |OT| - Sorey, Modders did what Bamcouldn't!

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I was in the game's final act where I just stopped playing. The game isn't very good at all imo. I had more fun with Hearts R than Zestiria. And I don't even like Hearts R. If that's saying much.

Damn Kayos, guess I'll wait for the winter sale before picking this up.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
It's not. The game has owners since 15/06/2015, not since January. It's typical for Steam games to have owners before the release, as developers are testing builds.

person already corrected himself. ^_^

now 7 hours in the game and I still like it. Got my first view camera problems, but well..did not die.

how do you all use the fighting system? half-auto?everything manuell?
right now I' all manuell

It's not. The game has owners since 15/06/2015, not since January. It's typical for Steam games to have owners before the release, as developers are testing builds.

Speaking of which: Why Tales of and One Piece do have owners as preorders but not other games ?

Datschge

For some reason I could never get in to these games, I always start them and then it feels like during the battles I'm just hitting buttons. I hear that later in the game there is some strategy to it but I never make it that far because well...I'm just hitting buttons.
Would you rather like the games to force you to actually learn what you actually do by hitting buttons before allowing you to proceed in the game?

"Button mashing" became possible since game developers dropped the difficulty to make that possible, being afraid many gamers would more likely drop their games altogether rather than trying to learn how to play correctly.

Just looked up some multiplayer camera videos. That is ... not great.
Worst multiplayer since Symphonia GC. I didn't think they could one up that after Xillia, but they did.

Falk

that puzzling face
I mean winter sale really isn't -that- far off.

Like I said though, no idea if Tales is a franchise that's gonna get steep discounts, plus preorder Symphonia.

You should know that unsatisfied customer are always more vocal...And by some of his post he seems to be a hard customer to please. Nothing against him though he's entitled to his opinion of course.

wrowa

I have a whole folder of "battle camera greatest hits." A sampling:

It would be funny if it wasn't so sad. I don't really understand why they got rid off battle arenas in the first place. The way they executed the idea, it doesn't really feel like it's adding anything to the gameplay, except for annoying camera issues that weren't there before. The transition between battles and overworld gameplay doesn't even feel smooth.

Worst multiplayer since Symphonia GC. I didn't think they could one up that after Xillia, but they did.

I like playing Tales games together with my girlfriend. Even in Xillia it was still a lot of fun, but in Zestiria it's just annoying. Quite disappointing, but well. Will just go back to watch her playing.

artsi

Just as another opinion, for me Zestiria is the most enjoyable JRPG in a while.
I first got it on PS3 and then double dipped to experience it without resolution / performance problems, and I'm not regretting it.

I'm also playing Tokyo Xanadu and Yoru no Nai Kuni but they can't keep me hooked as much as Zestiria.

I'm not a huge Tales fan, I've played Xillia but Zestiria is ways ahead in what I consider important in these kinds of games: story, world, characters, music, art style

Camera is a bit quirky but other than that I can't criticize the battle system that much, to me it works well enough but I'm not a veteran, so if that's important then I can't say anything.

Zhao_Yun

Is there any benefit from choosing a higher difficulty as in Graces or does it only turn enemies into hp sponges as in Xillia?

Stuart444

I like playing Tales games together with my girlfriend. Even in Xillia it was still a lot of fun, but in Zestiria it's just annoying. Quite disappointing, but well. Will just go back to watch her playing.

When I was playing the PS3 with my partner, it was about on par with Xillia to me. The camera issues were obviously the main problem but I've dealt since well... Symphonia GC/PS3 (infact we've been doing that for the past 2 weeks and just about to finish our second playthrough).

I didn't get as far as losing Alisha though so I can't say too much past the town just after you get Edna which is where I got to and stopped but the 2-player felt on par with Xillia to me outside of camera issues.

Thoraxes

I feel like if you've followed the series enough, it's easy to know what you're going to be getting into with a Tales game.

And since I know that's exactly what I want, I buy them.

artsi

So there's no difference between the ps3 and ps4 versions right?

It's just a visual / performance difference but it's pretty substantial, I have both versions.

PS3 = 720p (I think it's even less), no AA, huge FPS drops
PS4 = 1080p + AA, no performance problems, better texture filtering and draw distance

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
You should know that unsatisfied customer are always more vocal...And by some of his post he seems to be a hard customer to please. Nothing against him though he's entitled to his opinion of course.

lol. I'm vocal regardless if things are shit or not. =/

SephLuis

It's just a visual / performance difference but it's pretty substantial, I have both versions.

PS3 = 720p (I think it's even less), no AA, huge FPS drops
PS4 = 1080p + AA, no performance problems, better texture filtering and draw distance

That PS4 difference will make the experience much better. The drops on the PS3 version, ugh. I am not one that easily gets bothered by that, but this game was bad in some fights.

Datschge

lol. I'm vocal regardless if things are shit or not. =/
I'm seeing you less often in Tales threads since when you made known that you dislike Zestiria though. Since then your posts are more like drive bys than the socializing you did before. =P

Stuart444

That PS4 difference will make the experience much better. The drops on the PS3 version, ugh. I am not one that easily gets bothered by that, but this game was bad in some fights.

Pretty much. I usually don't get bothered by many of the technical issues that bother others but this game on PS3 was just too much, it bothered me a lot. Those jaggies and those drops.

PS4 is the all round better experience but if you just have a PS3 (and don't have a PC capable of running Zesty or just want the console experience) then the PS3 version will suit your purpose I guess.

kayos90

I'm seeing you less often in Tales threads since when you made known that you dislike Zestiria though. Since then your posts are more like drive bys than the socializing you did before. =P

To be fair, I didn't finish Zestiria, there hasn't been much Tales stuff since Zestiria (and I didn't like Zestiria) it's going to come off that way. Sorry Dat! T_T

If people really want to know why I do not enjoy the game I can explain it in a detailed post, if they ask. On the flipside, here's a TLDR version.

Depending on how I feel tomorrow, I may or may not drop the game until the English release.

To sum up how I feel about the game so far. And this is me having roughly 36 hours in.

Story
- There is just no building up for important climaxes. Shit just happens. That's about it
- Characters are likeable. Edna is easily the best and Lailah is just fucking annoying.

Gameplay
- The battle is really fun when you're just wrecking shit because it's actually difficult to aggro and maintain stagger in the beginning of the game.
- Auxiliary systems become absolute shit and more noticeable as the game goes on
- Fields look better but is empty as shit. It's also fucking huge and that's not good.
- Teleports cost way too fucking much
- I absolutely hate how the cities look and how shitty they are.

Sound
- Voice acting is fan-fucking-tastic. I love it. All of them. They are ALL good.
- Audio design is absolute shit. It just sounds very basic and stuff doesn't have umph.
- Soundtrack is fucking amazing. Even the Sakuraba stuff is good. So... yeah.

Visuals
- This game needs AA real bad. Also, the textures are flat and that's not good.

^this post is supposed to sound exaggerated.

Stuart444

To be fair, I didn't finish Zestiria, there hasn't been much Tales stuff since Zestiria (and I didn't like Zestiria) it's going to come off that way. Sorry Dat! T_T

If people really want to know why I do not enjoy the game I can explain it in a detailed post, if they ask. On the flipside, here's a TLDR version.

At least this post now gives your previous posts more subsistence now :p.

Also the visual complaint is probably gone on PS4/Steam but that goes without saying.

wrowa

When I was playing the PS3 with my partner, it was about on par with Xillia to me. The camera issues were obviously the main problem but I've dealt since well... Symphonia GC/PS3 (infact we've been doing that for the past 2 weeks and just about to finish our second playthrough).

I didn't get as far as losing Alisha though so I can't say too much past the town just after you get Edna which is where I got to and stopped but the 2-player felt on par with Xillia to me outside of camera issues.

Well, I'll give it another try tomorrow. Maybe it will still grow on me.

kayos90

At least this post now gives your previous posts more subsistence now :p.

Also the visual complaint is probably gone on PS4/Steam but that goes without saying.

Yeah. To be fair, I loved the underlying principles of some game design decisions they made. The execution however made it super garbage tier. The idea of fusing items to give birth to new skills is super cool. Too bad you rarely have control to make the items turn out the way you want and use the skill bonuses to your advantage.

The battle system also takes a hit as you're only limited to 4 hit combos with the use of Blast Gauge to extend combos using Armatization, Skills, or Mystic Artes but the usage of the Blast Gauge is rarely warranted on two of those things because it's not cost effective. Armatization is a great idea in concept because it makes Seraphims feel like an additional resource on top of being a character that's fighting in the field but they aren't great because of lackluster AI, lack of variety in movesets, and the elemental alignment when fighting enemies.

Zestiria is just a mixed bag.

Datschge

here's a TLDR version.
I managed to shorten it some more:
kayos90's Zestiria rating on the important term usage scale: fuck x5, shit x6, bad x1, not good x2, good x2, amazing x1 ;)

Btw. you mentioned in that quote you are gonna pick it up with the English release again. Now you don't really sound like you wanna give another go?

Alchemist

Feeling a bit of buyer's remorse after playing this today. I don't like what they've done with the skill system and the combat feels really slow...

kayos90

I managed to shorten it some more:
kayos90's Zestiria rating on the important term usage scale: fuck x5, shit x6, bad x1, not good x2, good x2, amazing x1 ;)

Btw. you mentioned in that quote you are gonna pick it up with the English release again. Now you don't really sound like you wanna give another go?

I actually am going to grab it.

Rpgmonkey

Is there any benefit from choosing a higher difficulty as in Graces or does it only turn enemies into hp sponges as in Xillia?

IIRC higher difficulties give you less EXP but more Gald and better equipment drops.

Basically the challenge mainly comes from being weaker and having to use the equipment/skill system more frequently and cleverly.

IIRC higher difficulties give you less EXP but more Gald and better equipment drops.

Basically the challenge mainly comes from being weaker and having to use the equipment/skill system more frequently and cleverly.

Wow, that sounds good. Except the less exp part.

twisteh

Is the trophy list for this game the same as the Japanese version? Not sure what to do as apparently you need to choose early on whether to get the plat in one or two playthroughs so need to make a decision haha.

Falk

that puzzling face
I felt that, just like most Tales games, it's much less of a chore to finish plat on a second playthrough with the grade shop, even though the functionality is a little different.

Alisha DLC also makes item collection one a lot easier (HEH) since you have a buffer with the new items counting towards it.

edit: Derp, didn't read the first sentence. I'm not 100% sure if it's identical between EN and JP, but I don't see why it wouldn't be.

Cornbread78

Is the trophy list for this game the same as the Japanese version? Not sure what to do as apparently you need to choose early on whether to get the plat in one or two playthroughs so need to make a decision haha.

Last I saw, PlayStationtrophies.org still didn't have a PS4 trophy list posted. That was the only one I could find.

twisteh

I know what you mean - a second playthrough would be the most sensible thing I agree, I just don't know if I can be bothered doing a second playthrough of an already lengthy Rpg when I've got so many other games to play ;( hmm. Thanks for info :)

Stuart444

I know what you mean - a second playthrough would be the most sensible thing I agree, I just don't know if I can be bothered doing a second playthrough of an already lengthy Rpg when I've got so many other games to play ;( hmm. Thanks for info :)

To be fair, most of the time will probably be spent in cutscenes and stuff, you could probably seriously shorten how long you play in your second playthrough with grade bonuses + skipping all dialogue possible + knowing what to do XD.

twisteh

To be fair, most of the time will probably be spent in cutscenes and stuff, you could probably seriously shorten how long you play in your second playthrough with grade bonuses + skipping all dialogue possible + knowing what to do XD.
Yeah youre probably right. I think I'll just play through the game normally the first time so I can just enjoy it without frustration and then get the plat If I'm in the mood :p

Falk

that puzzling face
Yeah, what I meant is in virtually all practical cases, it's actually less hours overall in a Tales plat to get Grade on the first playthrough and nail shit on the second.

I know what you mean though, sometimes it's a mental thing - I haven't done my Hearts R mop-up playthrough yet.

edit: Actually if you know my dark secret you shouldn't be listening to me on how to plat Tales games.

Like literally put me on your GAF ignore list. Save yourself.

Rpgmonkey

Wait, what??? Can you explain that plz???

In the Team Destiny or Team Destiny-style games levels are usually much less useful than the equipment and/or skill systems. Zestiria's among those.

In this leveling is mainly for leveling up titles, which give artes or various passive abilities, and boost stats. It's kind of an awkward double-layered leveling system.

Zhao_Yun

Doesn't sound too bad. Started on Moderate and will see how it goes.

Kouriozan

So, 5h30 in and the game is still awesome so far.
The music is pretty good, the story is alright, currently
fleeing the castle
I'm kinda surprised I'm loving it this much, after all the complain in the import thread.

Also, wondering what audio language you guys are picking, of course I went with Japanese first and loving it but will pick English for my first NG+

Top Bottom