• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

Up to the 12 th case now and loving the game. I think I've wasted hours driving and messing around the city now.

- is anyone actually using intuition points?
- what's the point of the ranking system if you rarely get anything out of it?
- wtf at the hidden film reels, there's no way I'm finding those
- Cole be tripping sometimes with the reactions to your choices(old hag)
- can't wait to see what they do with dlc and hope we don't have to wait too long

Tr4nce

So, I'm from the ever waiting PAL land, and the more I read the more I think that it would be a good advise to people who are going to play this game to go in this, NOT thinking and expecting a sandboxy game, but just a good old adventure game. So that's what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna go in thinking I'm gonna play something like Monkey Island or something, or the old Blade Runner.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Agent White said:
Up to the 12 th case now and loving the game. I think I've wasted hours driving and messing around the city now.

- is anyone actually using intuition points?
- what's the point of the ranking system if you rarely get anything out of it?
- wtf at the hidden film reels, there's no way I'm finding those
- Cole be tripping sometimes with the reactions to your choices(old hag)
- can't wait to see what they do with dlc and hope we don't have to wait too long

I use intuition when I'm stuck between truth and doubt because I don't want cole to go apeshit on someone. I've seen the community answer be completely wrong before, though.

PAL 360 copy arrived from Gamestation this morning! :D Disc 1 is installing currently.

Quite surprised to see photo negatives in the case. Even more surprised with what they're for..

3 discs? Dat weight!

Trent Strong said:
This framerate is unacceptable.
oh but the differences between the versions only matter to console warriors and the fact that they are being discussed is sad, amirite

sarcasm directed to a different poster from earlier ITT, not you FYI

ZeroRay

polyh3dron said:
oh but the differences between the versions only matter to console warriors and the fact that they are being discussed is sad, amirite

Well, the PS3 versions framerate isn't something to write home about so I can only imagine it on the 360.

Radogol

polyh3dron said:

U r rite.

"Oh no, the DS sticks are so sticky, I'm dying GAF!"

polyh3dron said:

sarcasm directed to a different poster from earlier ITT, not you FYI

Ah, I haven't been following the thread, so I don't know which version is the "bad" one. I'm on PS3 and it's stuttering like a bastard. Oh well, I'll get used to it. More importantly, I hope I can figure out how the fuck interogations work. I don't know what's going on in those.

saunderez

polyh3dron said:
Is that how you would have the conversation in real life though?

The conversations you have with NPCs in the Mass Effect games are vastly superior to the ones in this game. You're actually in control of what your character will say and you don't get thrown for a loop.
I don't feel like there is any realism to the interrogations as it is. You can't direct the interrogation so I use the facilities the game gives me, and backing out of a Lie accusation is an option given to me.

im a bit disappointed. i thought i would be doing a little more than guiding a movie. granted im not super far into it but if it doesnt pick up soon, i doubt ill finish. i dont have time to blow on forcing myself through games

Lime

So the game isn't that impressive after all, considering the impressions? Is it really only the facial animations that the game excels at? And is the framerate really that horrible? I'm thinking of picking this up for the weekend, but I don't know if it's worth full EU price (~86 USD).

Got it yesterday, beat the main story today. Around 20 hours according to my RSC profile. Great game. My thoughts on the ending are...
well, I'm a bit uncertain on my feelings towards it. I'd imagine that comparisons will be made to a certain other game's ending. Oh, and the last case of a certain adventure game.

just so's you know: 'geiger book store', which you find next door to the last destination in the first case, also happens to be one of the first place philip marlowe goes in 'the big sleep' :) ...

Thoroughly enjoying the game and think it deserves all the praise it's getting. Hopefully it sells well enough to get other developers to put big money behind games that try something a little different.

Lime said:
So the game isn't that impressive after all, considering the impressions? Is it really only the facial animations that the game excels at? And is the framerate really that horrible?

Like I’ve said this is no GTAIV or RDR, and I think that’s why people are disappointed with it. They just had far too high expectations. And the framerate so far has been fine (PS3).

Dries

Need a quick answer GAF. I can buy LA Noire with the traffic case (forgot the name) with €20 discount, but I actually want the fashion model case. Will that be DLC later on?

JonCha

Tricky I Shadow said:
Like I’ve said this is no GTAIV or RDR, and I think that’s why people are disappointed with it. They just had far too high expectations. And the framerate so far has been fine (PS3).

People only have to look at themselves if they were expecting this to be another Rockstar game. L.A. Noire was never marketed as such, and people therefore should never have imagined it as such. This game is great without being another GTA.

Aspiring

Bah stupid work. Have only played the tutorials but damn it's amazing. Installed all 3 discs on 360 so saves me doing it later but ate into my playing time. Such a good game.

JonCha said:
People only have to look at themselves if they were expecting this to be another Rockstar game. L.A. Noire was never marketed as such, and people therefore should never have imagined it as such. This game is great without being another GTA.

I wasn't expecting this game to be another GTA, but I was expecting it to have better than a single digit framerate.

The Lamp

FatBaby said:
So how are you guys playing this game? I can't seem to decide if I want to keep the vibration/sound hints off or on.

If I keep the hints on, I feel like I need to pick up anything and everything that makes the controller vibrate even if it's just some useless bullshit. If I keep them off, I feel like I may miss something because there is something VERY small I missed and can't see it... bullet casings for example. I then feel like I need to tap the look button to make sure I am not missing anything. I don't know... I feel like either way it makes me go in circles.

Don't get me wrong, I am really diggin' the game so far even though I just started, but I wanna try and get the most out of this game... which is why I'd like to play with the hints off to get more of that "adventure gamey feel" rather than hand holding, but like I said, it makes me second guess myself.

Yeah, I don't like the way clue-finding in this game really works. Regardless of whether you have hints or music on or off, there's a set number of clues in an environment you're expected to pick up to get a perfect case, and there's useless items thrown around the environment to make it harder for you. So you walk around and tap A/X until you run into something important. And when you run into something important, you know it is, because you'll zoom in and log it. It's almost oversimplified and overcomplicated at the same time. And once the clues are found, the crime scene is now useless to you.

My dream for a clue-based game is where you just search around the environment, they DON'T tell you what is a "correct" clue to log or record, you just look for everything you can that might help you, and maybe you'd be able to photograph evidence for observation later. Also, clues wouldn't be so black and white, good or bad. It wouldn't be like...oh...here's this useless cigarette.....and here's this bloodstain.

I don't know, I just feel like the way LA Noire does it encourages a very shallow type of detective investigation. You walk around until you bump into something outrageously significant, it's neither subtle nor encourages you to think or explore for the sake of piecing together events in an environment. I've never looked around to have to think "hmm....how did those bloodstains trail there...and then curve around there....and disappear here all of a sudden?" The game doesn't make you think like that, which is a pity. It just makes you walk around the blood trail tapping X until Cole stoops over and examines something significant. It's very unintuitive and disappointing in that regard, for a clue-finding game to be so shallow.

Still enjoying the game so far, but I really want a sequel. A sequel that gets rid of the open-world, designs intricate, polished levels for each case (similar to Heavy Rain), that allows Cole to be much more interactive with the environment (using a gun or tools, or shoot off locks or something), and a game that uses a much less subtle interrogation and clue-finding system. I'd imagine it'd be more frustrating for new gamers, but I don't want my detective game to be so shallow and thoughtless, otherwise it kinda destroys its justification for existing.

Lime

Tricky I Shadow said:

I am not expecting a GTA or a RDR, but I am expecting a quality game with good game mechanics, good presentation and at the very least an acceptable story. Otherwise I am not shelling out 86 USD for a flawed and passable game. Considering these demands for a quality game, is the game worth the entry price?

The Lamp

Lime said:
I am not expecting a GTA or a RDR, but I am expecting a quality game with good game mechanics, good presentation and at the very least an acceptable story. Otherwise I am not shelling out 86 USD for a flawed and passable game. Considering these demands for a quality game, is the game worth the entry price?

The mechanics all revolve around clue-finding and interrogation and moving from point A to point B. In that regard, it works for its purpose, and it's fun, but it's not as intuitive or perfect as it could be.

The rest of the parts of the game, like chasing, shoot-outs, car chases, etc. work in the most liberal of definitions, but they are definitely not as polished or fun as they could be, and they feel tacked on to the rest of the game (like a swiss-army knife that tells you it can do so many things, but some of the side features of the knife are things you've seen other instruments do better) and don't really flow well with the rest of the context or design of the game (not because they can't, but because it feels like they were thrown in there carelessly to make this game more "actiony").

I'm only 6.5 hours in and the overarching story is just now starting to reveal itself to me. There's an underlying plot about Cole, as well as other sub-plots with the cases, and an overlying main plot to the game. I don't know much about anything other than the case sub-plots at this point, but it's becoming intriguing and interesting. It's just not exposited well (Cole's back-story is a routine, cliche' flashback sequence that occurs after every important case, like clock-work).

The game is really fun, but it's flawed. I'm enjoying it a lot even with it's flaws, however, because it's refreshingly different from most games nowadays.

Lime

Thanks Lamp. Both of your above posts are very reasonable and very informative regarding the things I am curious about in this game. I'm not sure if I'll buy it, but I am in the same group as you: wanting to play something different and detective-like. I'll wait and see how much of an impulse buy this will be. My biggest problem is probably the "walk around tapping X in the environment", which indicates the simplicity of gathering evidence and solving cases.

ThreeSix said:
This game is very good considering the scope of what it's trying to do, but it's not as tightly executed as I was expecting...

yep. while there's lots to like, & admire, the game's just failing to grab me. maybe if i liked the main character, or really cared about the back story, i'd feel differently, but, combined with the huge, gorgeous but fundamentally empty environment (not to mention the fact that the places i lived in l.a. for 5+ years, santa monica & venice, are non-existent :) ), i'm left with an enjoyable enough, if far from awesome, experience...

but i'm thinking it's only because team bondi got so many things right that i'm a little disappointed - because it comes so damn close to being awesome...

Tr4nce

So the clue-finding thing is not all that much fun? That is a damn shame to read. I was seriously looking forward to it. Oh well, tomorrow it finally releases here.

Tobor

Tr4nce said:
So the clue-finding thing is not all that much fun? That is a damn shame to read. I was seriously looking forward to it. Oh well, tomorrow it finally releases here.
It's a lot of fun. I have no idea what kind of crazy expectations people seem to have set for this game, but mine are being met completely. Well worth my money and time.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Tobor said:
It's a lot of fun. I have no idea what kind of crazy expectations people seem to have set for this game, but mine are being met completely. Well worth my money and time.
Same here. I'm having a good time taking it at my own pace. Just because everything's not how I would have wanted it doesn't mean that it isn't worth my time. Definitely worth the time.

The Lamp

Tr4nce said:

Don't get me wrong, it can be fun. It is fun. Partially because of the fact that not many games let you even clue-find, and this game let's you do it with fun crime scenes and stuff :p. But it's not as intuitive as it could be.

In my opinion, it's like they were worried about making it too subtle that they accidentally turned the knob a bit in the opposite direction. Which is understandable, given how many people they want to play this game, but it still disappoints me.

I still don't (yet, lol) regret paying full price for this game or taking my time to play it.
If worst comes to worst, and the game is horrible by the end of my playtime, at least I get $20 Amazon credit I can use for my next open-world excursion, Infamous 2, lol.

Lime said:
Thanks Lamp. Both of your above posts are very reasonable and very informative regarding the things I am curious about in this game. I'm not sure if I'll buy it, but I am in the same group as you: wanting to play something different and detective-like. I'll wait and see how much of an impulse buy this will be. My biggest problem is probably the "walk around tapping X in the environment", which indicates the simplicity of gathering evidence and solving cases.

If you don't care too much about spoilers, I'd suggest looking online or something for a playthrough of a single, normal-sized case. You can get an idea of how Cole interacts with people and the crime scene to get his clues and interrogate people.

The Lamp said:
Yeah, I don't like the way clue-finding in this game really works. Regardless of whether you have hints or music on or off, there's a set number of clues in an environment you're expected to pick up to get a perfect case, and there's useless items thrown around the environment to make it harder for you. So you walk around and tap A/X until you run into something important. And when you run into something important, you know it is, because you'll zoom in and log it. It's almost oversimplified and overcomplicated at the same time. And once the clues are found, the crime scene is now useless to you.

My dream for a clue-based game is where you just search around the environment, they DON'T tell you what is a "correct" clue to log or record, you just look for everything you can that might help you, and maybe you'd be able to photograph evidence for observation later. Also, clues wouldn't be so black and white, good or bad. It wouldn't be like...oh...here's this useless cigarette.....and here's this bloodstain.

I don't know, I just feel like the way LA Noire does it encourages a very shallow type of detective investigation. You walk around until you bump into something outrageously significant, it's neither subtle nor encourages you to think or explore for the sake of piecing together events in an environment. I've never looked around to have to think "hmm....how did those bloodstains trail there...and then curve around there....and disappear here all of a sudden?" The game doesn't make you think like that, which is a pity. It just makes you walk around the blood trail tapping X until Cole stoops over and examines something significant. It's very unintuitive and disappointing in that regard, for a clue-finding game to be so shallow.

Still enjoying the game so far, but I really want a sequel. A sequel that gets rid of the open-world, designs intricate, polished levels for each case (similar to Heavy Rain), that allows Colel to be much more interactive with the environment (using a gun or tools, like to interact with the environment or shoot off locks or something), and a game that uses a much less subtle interrogation and clue-finding system. I'd imagine it'd be more frustrating for new gamers, but I don't want my detective game to be so shallow and thoughtless, otherwise it kinda destroys its justification for existing.

The Lamp said:
The mechanics all revolve around clue-finding and interrogation and moving from point A to point B. In that regard, it works for its purpose, and it's fun, but it's not as intuitive or perfect as it could be.

The rest of the parts of the game, like chasing, shoot-outs, car chases, etc. work in the most liberal of definitions, but they are definitely not as polished or fun as they could be, and they feel tacked on to the rest of the game (like a swiss-army knife that tells you it can do so many things, but some of the side features of the knife are things you've seen other instruments do better) and don't really flow well with the rest of the context or design of the game (not because they can't, but because it feels like they were thrown in there carelessly to make this game more "actiony").

I'm only 6.5 hours in and the overarching story is just now starting to reveal itself to me. There's an underlying plot about Cole, as well as other sub-plots with the cases, and an overlying main plot to the game. I don't know much about anything other than the case sub-plots at this point, but it's becoming intriguing and interesting. It's just not exposited well (Cole's back-story is a routine, cliche' flashback sequence that occurs after every important case, like clock-work).

The game is really fun, but it's flawed. I'm enjoying it a lot even with it's flaws, however, because it's refreshingly different from most games nowadays.

Very well said.

The Lamp said:
Still enjoying the game so far, but I really want a sequel. A sequel that gets rid of the open-world, designs intricate, polished levels for each case (similar to Heavy Rain), that allows Cole to be much more interactive with the environment (using a gun or tools, or shoot off locks or something), and a game that uses a much less subtle interrogation and clue-finding system. I'd imagine it'd be more frustrating for new gamers, but I don't want my detective game to be so shallow and thoughtless, otherwise it kinda destroys its justification for existing.

substitute 'world-weary private eye' for cole, & i'm in :) ...

Tobor

If they get rid of the open world in a sequel, I'll be pissed. It's an opportunity to feel immersed in a previous time, and the conversations that take place during the driving add a lot of dimension to the characters. Regardless of who developed it, the driving conversations feel like a Rockstar game.

The Lamp

I think one of the most irking aspects of the game is that they encourage you to replay cases to "perfect them" by getting "perfect" answers from your interrogation subjects and a perfect, complete amount of "correct" clues.

There's just so much that's unnatural about that. To me, an investigation game is supposed to focus on your thought, your wit, your investigation, and therefore consequences that you've created and are responsible for.

Don't misunderstand me, I think replaying cases for a different outcome is fun and interesting, kind of like how Heavy Rain (although Cage doesn't) encourages you to play again to see what else might happen. I love that.

But LA Noire wants you to replay cases so you can perfect your outcome based on the number of correct things you do in your case. That whole notion really annoys me.

As you can see, it's encouraged people to quit their missions, and restart to get a perfect "score" in their interrogations and clue-finding. I don't feel like this sort of game should be encouraging anyone to do that! I feel like if you made mistakes or got an outcome you weren't expecting, oh well, live with your consequences, learn from it, and try again later. But it's like, sometimes, this game is directly looking at you and telling you "You didn't investigate the right way".

"You got 15/15 clues and 8/8 correct answers! Here's a score."

Ugh.

Tobor said:
If they get rid of the open world in a sequel, I'll be pissed. It's an opportunity to feel immersed in a previous time, and the conversations that take place during the driving add a lot of dimension to the characters. Regardless of who developed it, the driving conversations feel like a Rockstar game.

Maybe I wouldn't mind if they keep the open world, so long as they try to fix it. By fix it, I mean make it relevant to the game's design and purpose. Right now it's just empty and there. Perhaps it makes the experience because it makes its seem like LA is your investigation level and the people in there are your subjects, but the game doesn't truly make you feel that way because your cases never take place outside of point A, point B, and point C, and you can't even really interact with the people or places in LA outside of those case points.

Tr4nce

Alright, thanks for the opinions about the clue-finding, people :)

bro_fist.jpg

The Lamp said:
I think one of the most irking aspects of the game is that they encourage you to replay cases to "perfect them" by getting "perfect" answers from your interrogation subjects and a perfect, complete amount of "correct" clues.

There's just so much that's unnatural about that. To me, an investigation game is supposed to focus on your thought, your wit, your investigation, and therefore consequences that you've created and are responsible for.

Don't misunderstand me, I think replaying cases for a different outcome is fun and interesting, kind of like how Heavy Rain (although Cage doesn't) encourages you to play again to see what else might happen. I love that.

But LA Noire wants you to replay cases so you can perfect your outcome based on the number of correct things you do in your case. That whole notion really annoys me.

As you can see, it's encouraged people to quit their missions, and restart to get a perfect "score" in their interrogations and clue-finding. I don't feel like this sort of game should be encouraging anyone to do that! I feel like if you made mistakes or got an outcome you weren't expecting, oh well, live with your consequences, learn from it, and try again later. But it's like, sometimes, this game is directly looking at you and telling you "You didn't investigate the right way".

"You got 15/15 clues and 8/8 correct answers! Here's a score."

Ugh.

Maybe I wouldn't mind if they keep the open world, so long as they try to fix it. By fix it, I mean make it relevant to the game's design and purpose. Right now it's just empty and there. Perhaps it makes the experience because you feel like LA is your investigation level and the people in there are your subjects, but the game doesn't make you feel that way because your cases never take place outside of point A, point B, and point C, and you can't even really interact with the people or places in LA outside of those case points.

I wish you could turn off the pop-ups that tell you how many questions you got right or wrong. I really don't give a shit. I want to conduct the investigation the way I would and not necessarily 'the right way'. I try to ignore all the indicators that tell me how many questions I got right or wrong.

I love the game but the more I play, the more I feel the game should have been written from the perspective of a private eye. I know that changes things a lot but I think it would have been a lot more fun.

The Lamp

DoctorWho said:
I wish you could turn off the pop-ups that tell you how many questions you got right or wrong. I really don't give a shit. I want to conduct the investigation the way I would and not necessarily 'the right way'. I try to ignore all the indicators that tell me how many questions I got right or wrong.

I love the game but the more I play, the more I feel the game should have been written from the perspective of a private eye. I know that changes things a lot but I think it would have been a lot more fun.

Yeah I'm considering taping up the side of my TV screen that tells me how many interrogation questions/clues I got "correct" lol.

Tobor

The Lamp said:
Maybe I wouldn't mind if they keep the open world, so long as they try to fix it. By fix it, I mean make it relevant to the game's design and purpose. Right now it's just empty and there. Perhaps it makes the experience because you feel like LA is your investigation level and the people in there are your subjects, but the game doesn't make you feel that way because your cases never take place outside of point A, point B, and point C, and you can't even really interact with the people or places in LA outside of those case points.
I'm driving around in a model of 1947 LA, heading to crime scenes and to interrogate witnesses. That's amazing to me. I don't need to jump out of my car every three seconds to feel immersed. /shrugs

The Lamp said:
Yeah I'm considering taping up the side of my TV screen that tells me how many interrogation questions/clues I got "correct" lol.

Same. LOL. It completely takes me out of the experience.

Tobor said:
I'm driving around in a model of 1947 LA, heading to crime scenes and to interrogate witnesses. That's amazing to me. I don't need to jump out of my car every three seconds to feel immersed. /shrugs

For the main storyline, I agree with you. I haven't been answering any dispatch calls because I think they will take me out of the experience of solving the murders. However, I hope there is some DLC down the road that gives me a reason to check out this beautifully recreated city.

JonCha

Just got it through the post. Very excited!

Also have something called the 'Badge Pursuit Challenge', with black and white film reels? Are these clues to things hidden in the game?

I'm just ignoring the 'correct' rating, currently. It would've been nice to have that type of thing locked until completion, so you can kind of go back and 'look at how your record holds up' or something, but I can deal with it.

How long did it take you guys to get used to the driving? :p

rhino4evr

Personally I am really enjoying the game...and surprised to read negative reactions. But if you go into this expecting GTA:1940 then you will definitely be disappointed. This isn't that game at all.

Some things people should really know before going into this.

- It's not like GTA or RDR at all..the only real thing in common with those games is that you drive/ride from point A to B..if you wish. You are penalized for acting or driving reckless. You actually have to obey traffic laws for the most part...otherwise you'll hit oncoming cars at intersections. You can't just shoot anyone you want. You aren't a corrupt cop. You are mostly a good cop. This isnt a open world/choose your next destination type of game. There is a pretty set mission structure..the side missions are really just for fun.

- The shoot outs/driving aren't epic 20 against 1 fire fights or jumping form a car to a helicopter kinda stuff. It's much more subdued and realistic. Most of the chase sequences are automatic..but they do have different outcomes depending on if you get off a warning shot.

- The presentation is top notch all around...soundtrack/voicework/graphics/everything. The game nails the 40s environment. The minute I turned the game on my wife (who is not a gamer) said...oh cool that looks just like Vertigo. Exactly.

- The save system is such, that you have to kind of loose that OCD gamer qualities. There is no quick reload...once you make a mistake you have to live with it untill you want to replay the entire case at another time. Personally I think it makes the game more realistic and more thirlling, but if you are one of those people that has to get a perfect score and find every piece of evidence in every case before moving on, you wlll definitely be frustrated at first.

-The most interesting part of the game is interviewing suspects..
The game doesn't ever tell you what the exact outcome of a case is. In most cases you'll be able to figure it out, but only by your own intuition. I see a lot of complaints about "guess work"...and so far that hasnt been the case. Sure there are times I thought..."how could I possibly know if he/she is lying or not"..but when you actually think about the evidence..you realize there is logic puzzle behind every question you ask. A lot of times there won't be evidence to support your "hunch"..but the game doesnt provide that hunch for you directly, you have to really come to it based on what is before you. This is as close to real detective work a game has ever come. ..which is why this game is a must play.

If you love old school point and click adventure games..think of this as the next evolution of the genre.

The Lamp

Tobor said:

I can see where you're coming from :p

Yeah I feel like it would have been better if they had kept that clue/question correctness rating thing locked or hidden until you beat the game or something. As of right now, it makes investigation feel like I'm doing it wrong, instead of my way, lol.

ced

The Lamp said:

Yeah I couldn't agree more about ditching the "open world". I find myself just having the partner drive to the next mission, I never even touch the "world" per se.

You see, I actually like the open world design despite the game not taking advantage of it. I like knowing that 1940s LA is there and it works as a backdrop to the story. The city feels alive and thriving despite giving me know reason to explore it. I wouldn't want them to cut out the open world in a sequel.

It also makes the car chase sequences a lot more fun.

Top Bottom