• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

brentech

Papercuts said:
You atleast had body location damage in GTA4. :p
Yeah, whenever I think I'm going to take out the legs and stop them or if I shoot the gun hand of a guy.....they still amazingly end up dead. Now I just fire relentlessly since it has no impact on the outcome.

Vega

Okay i just got to a case that totally contradicts what happened in the Moller outcome. That's really disappointing and lame honestly.

Net_Wrecker said:
You really need to adjust your expectations. This game has much more in common with the old school Adventure genre. If you want "game first, story second" you're kind of in the wrong mindset. This is all about investigation and interrogation. Everything else plays the background.

Which is why I'm completely of the opinion this would have made a better point and click adventure. The open-world stuff feels very tacked on and underdeveloped. It feels like the fat of a game whose main meat lies in making decisions.

I’ve played for about 2 hours, but I have to go into work soon. My impressions so far:

Pros
+ Facial expressions.
+ Graphics have surprised me. Overall I’m happy with how it looks. The lighting is great too!
+ Details! When I walked near a dead body and Cole automatically stepped over it I was shocked at how smooth the transition was.
+ Very little loading and no loading from arriving to a destination.
+ Game has quite a bit of polish.

Cons
- Cole seems ridiculously un-lovable and forgettable.
- The back story cut-scenes are not gripping at all.
- Lack of pedestrians and things to do in L.A make it a bit boring to drive in.
- The cases seem too simple. I hope they get more complex with awesome twists later on. I want longer cases!

Overall I'm happy with the game. This is no GTAIV or RDR, but it isn't far from them.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
alterno69 said:
Is there a list of all the cases in order as well as a description? I'm really bad at remembering the name of the cases i already solved.
The Social Club has an awesome case tracker that keeps track of all your cases. There's no case description, but the evidence list and the POI's should help you fill in the blanks.

Mik2121

Alright guys.. some of you are making this sound not as hot as I expected...
I still don't have the game (gotta wait until my import store gets it tomorrow hopefully), but just wondering... I absolutely LOVE free roaming games. I also love the idea of this game (40's or 50's LA noir story). I would love to be able to slowly clear out the story while just slowly roaming through the streets watching all the fine details.
I love roaming through GTAIV's city even now (I play with the TBOGT expansion which has a couple extra spots) and I don't get tired of just driving like a normal person waiting for the traffic lights to turn green, etc... :p I even loved roaming through RDR's countrysides riding a horse and just moving around slowly and looking at the details on the small towns and stuff..
Would this be a chore to do in LA Noire? I saw one video and the streets felt kinda empty, but I don't know if that was just that area or if the whole environment is like that.

Also, is the map wide and detailed enough to just simply spend extra time driving through hidden roads and looking at the environments?... :p

Thanks in advance!

What an amazing game. So far I seem to be sucking it up at having conversations with people. I can't decide if I should blame the game or my own stupid ass.

Also it's a little weird that you can accuse someone of lying and back out of your accusation with little consequence. It's kind of a cheap way to check if the conversation stops making sense when you make the accusation and then move on from there. :lol

If I just click doubt though, sometimes he goes totally ape shit and starts screaming at the person he's talking to. Even if it's the right answer, sometimes it feels a little overboard. Maybe I'm just a pussy foot flat foot.

Mik2121 said:
I still don't have the game (gotta wait until my import store gets it tomorrow hopefully), but just wondering... I absolutely LOVE free roaming games. I also love the idea of this game (40's or 50's LA noir story). I would love to be able to slowly clear out the story while just slowly roaming through the streets watching all the fine details.
I love roaming through GTAIV's city even now (I play with the TBOGT expansion which has a couple extra spots) and I don't get tired of just driving like a normal person waiting for the traffic lights to turn green, etc... :p I even loved roaming through RDR's countrysides riding a horse and just moving around slowly and looking at the details on the small towns and stuff..
Would this be a chore to do in LA Noire? I saw one video and the streets felt kinda empty, but I don't know if that was just that area or if the whole environment is like that.

Also, is the map wide and detailed enough to just simply spend extra time driving through hidden roads and looking at the environments?... :p

Thanks in advance!

I haven't spent a lot of time playing GTA so I can't really directly compare, but I think the city is interesting and detailed enough to drive around aimlessly in, especially if you're the kind of person who enjoys role playing traffic laws. :p

There's even reason to aimlessly roam, as you're basically on "patrol" and you can respond to dispatch calls to stop random crimes while you're out. That said, so far the game hasn't ever given me an "in between cases" moment, so there's never a time when I don't feel like I have something more pressing to deal with, which stops me from doing the free roaming thing. But if that doesn't bother you then I think you'll have plenty of atmosphere to soak in.

Shinjiru

fastford58 said:
My biggest problem with the game -
I was on the Hit and run mission, had already determined that it was a murder by stabbing and had the order to go arrest the Patterson lady. Instead, I went to the guy that owned the car as I hadn't gone there yet. Even with the knowledge that it was a homicide and who the perps were, Cole went off on this bug tirade, accusing the car owner that he was going down for manslaughter and all this BS...even going so far as to make that his arresting reason. With all the thought put into the game, you would think this kind of contradiction within the core mechanic would have been ironed out.

I am really enjoying this game so far, but I had this happen to me tonight and I agree. I hope this isn't something that can happen throughout the rest of the game.

I also wouldn't mind if they just dropped the open world all together. I would have been fine with it being split up into chapters like Heavy Rain.

Mik2121 said:

Thanks in advance!

You can roam but though the city is recreated really nicely, there's no realtime day/night cycle, and the city itself doesn't have nearly as much personality as Liberty City in GTAIV, or Red Dead Redemption. THIS IS NOT A FREE ROAM GAME. It's open world, yes, but that's mostly just for atmosphere.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Mik2121 said:

Thanks in advance!

I'm not sure if I just haven't explored enough or what, but I'm the type of person that usually drives everywhere in GTA, I never quick traveled in RDR, etc. but I'm having my partner drive a lot in this game. There's hidden film reels to find, but that seems to be it. The game could have easily excised the whole city out of the game.

Mik2121 said:

Thanks in advance!

Yes. The streets are goddamn barren and lifeless. It feels as though the open-world was a huge afterthought of the game. I'm right there with you on enjoying a drive around Liberty City and around the plains in RDR - goddamn beautiful stuff. There is nothing to enjoy about L.A Noire's world. It feels very undercooked, like you've been dropped into a makeshift, B-grade city that is acting as placeholder until a better developer is given their hand at the game. The physics and thereby vehicles are also terribly clunky.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Nah, no Blade Runner DLC.
Instead, 1980s buddy cop DLC. I'm talking freeze frames, funky jazz during chase scenes, and everyone has a mustache.

Scullibundo said:
Which is why I'm completely of the opinion this would have made a better point and click adventure. The open-world stuff feels very tacked on and underdeveloped. It feels like the fat of a game whose main meat lies in making decisions.

Point and Click Adventure are not a big genre in terms of sales. Hell, even LA Noire is a huge risk, and I fully expect the backlash to come in the next 2-3 months from people who didn't get what they were expecting.

Secondly, you can skip all of the "open world" parts. No one is forcing you to drive except when a mission deems it necessary.

Just tried it out - I'm actually shocked at how good and smooth the game plays, and watching trailers can never really prepare you for how good a game can be.

I don't know why people are complaining about the cars being clunky and the controls being difficult because I found everything to be buttery...

Wow... Just did about 30 minutes of play time, but even still I was mighty impressed and I really can't wait to get stuck right into it when I get home tonight!!!

What an amazing week.

Damn, I am really awful at the interrogations. Definitely frustrating sometimes. Just finished up The Fallen Idol - great set piece at the end there, but only nailed 8/14 questions. Yikes. The biggest problem I have is that I never know what piece of evidence to use to prove that they are lying. Sometimes I over think it and say, "Hm, well, this piece could mean that..." and then they freak out.

Anyone mind explaining the story of The Fallen Idol? I got mixed up with a lot of the names and by the end of it I had no idea
why I was protecting that child molester from those shooters

Lastly, how's everyone doing grade wise? Just got promoted to homicide and I've pulled all 4 stars and a 3 Fallen Idol. Vehicle damage does me in every time, lol.

Mik2121

Thanks for the comments, guys!.

So... and barring very basic differences, this would be closer to, say, last gen's True Crime Streets of LA where the city is pretty damn big but it just feels a bit soulless.. huh? Maybe not the best comparison..

Anyway, other than that I guess the game really is worth it. I will probably roam around aimlessly a bit until I get bored of the patrolling stuff (is it similar to the patrolling in GTAIV when you hijack a patrol car?), and then I will just clear the story and roam around just to see whatever unique buildings and stuff Team Bondi has created that isn't related to the campaign (like many of the stuff in GTAIV's city..).

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
vitaminwateryum said:
Just finished The Golden Butterfly. Anyone else sort of creeped out seeing Parkman from Heroes as
Hugo
?
I never understood why the captain guy was so mad at me about that case

GABDEG said:
Wouldn't they have to get all the actors back in for some DLC?

All the DLC we know about so far is pretty much finished and had to be pulled out due to space issues (like so the 360 version didn't become 4 discs). I'm guessing that by the time they finish releasing all of the pre order cases + suits, and the 2 DLC Desks, it'll be a good 5-8 months from now. By then, I'm sure everyone will be ready to move on. Doubt they'll have to can anyone back ecpect maybe

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

CyReN

Noob question about investigations.

When it does the little chime after you pick a answer does that mean it's right? Maybe I'm losing my mind but I swear it's doing the opposite.

Tek

Be nice if I could play this. It keeps locking up on me. Xbox 360 Pro

I've tried from the install, tried from the disc...both had hard system locks on me.

Tried deleting the cache....

This almost reminds me of Sims 3 - played the game fine and then boom...non stop lock ups.

I'm lucky to get 5 minutes or so without a crash.

This didn't start until I reached case 5....

anyone else with this issue?

The Antitype said:
Ok, I just beat "The Fallen Idol" and I have no idea what the hell is going on!

Bishop screwed the girl in the peep room, and the fat prop guy was aware and therefore just as guilty. Got it.

Why was a gang after the guy?

And what the hell happened to the chick who basically just let the little girl get screwed in the first place?

And who the hell tried to kill them? Bishop?

Brain explodes.

Did you
trail the older woman and sneak into the diner when she placed her call? You should get a cutscene right after you interview the niece about the accident with her lawyer getting her out of the security wing of the hospital and be given the option to tail them. Her husband is a high up in Vegas and she talks him into using his influence to go after Bishop for screwing her underaged niece and trying to kill them. She's the one who stole the film of Bishop doing her niece to protect the families reputation.
Basically, Bishop and prop guy have a thing for underaged girls and are using a small soundstage in the prop shop to get young wannabe starlets to come in to do a "screen test" so they can drug them and get their jollies. They get into trouble when they do this to the niece of a former celebrity whose husband has a lot of influence in LA. She finds out, steals the tape, but is caught and drugged and Bishop tries to off them both so her husband doesn't learn about it and have them killed but botches the job.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Tek said:

I've tried from the install, tried from the disc...both had hard system locks on me.

This almost reminds me of Sims 3 - played the game fine and then boom...non stop lock ups.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=430619

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
CyReN said:
Noob question about investigations.

When it does the little chime after you pick a answer does that mean it's right? Maybe I'm losing my mind but I swear it's doing the opposite.

The x is wrong. It plays a chime regardless but it sounds more sinister if it's wrong.

Fjordson

Tek said:

I haven't experienced that yet, but yeah, check out that thread Tiduz linked. I'd wait a bit and see if R* and/or Bondi comes out with an update about the whole thing. Seems like the game is messing up some systems.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Did anyone else have the game stutter for a few seconds during the first cutscene after installing the game to the hard drive on 360? I'm hoping so. I'd hate to have a defective disc or something.

Mutagenic said:
Did anyone else have the game stutter for a few seconds during the first cutscene after installing the game to the hard drive on 360? I'm hoping so. I'd hate to have a defective disc or something.

Ya i did, the game stutters in areas.

Tricky I Shadow said:
Awesome! Glad it all worked out for you.
ZOMG I haaaate you!

The store staff grabbed the copy and started to walk away when I said I wanted to price match and this is how it went down:

I said: "Hey, where you going"

He said: "Oh, if we price match we have to swap it for a standard version as we can't give you the DLC version"

I said "Hang on a second" then I just stood there for about 1 minute silently with my head down, was trying to make sure he was feeling uncomfortable.

I said "Just gimme a sec, I'm just thinking and trying to not react in a way that will make me get kicked out of the store"

He said "Ok"

I said "So you're telling me that this isn't really a "Pre-Order" bonus, but it's a "Pay-More" bonus"

He said "We've been instructed when price matching..."

I said (interrupting) "I buy all my games here, I have more than 5 games pre-ordered and full paid off here and if I had have not been an EB customer an pre-ordered at JB I'd get their DLC and their price, I think that's kinda shonky you know"

He said "You know what, I'll just do it and say I accidently picked up the wrong one later"

I said "Good, that's better"

I was smiling and I walk outta there happy and satisfied... didn't take much, but I wasn't going to give up without getting my way lol.

MAN!

20 pages ago, this game was sounding like the grousest grouseburger ever; now, the hype is slowly dying inside of me and I'm beginning to think that the people who are salivating over this are the same ones who salivated over Heavy Rain - a game that, in my mind, was nothing more than a glorified quicktime event that would have benefited from being portrayed in another, more succinct medium, as its story was quite entertaining, but the "action" was simply shit and boring.

In other words, this game is seemingly more suited to the gamer who plays games for story rather than gameplay. And look, don't get me wrong, I love a good story as much as the next guy, but I play video games primarily for solid gameplay and solid mechanics; a great story is an EXCELLENT bonus. It's a shame that the actual "game" seems to be filler in this case.

:(

I'll still get it; my interest is THAT piqued that I simply can't not play it in its entirety. I just don't know if I'll keep it/love it, is all.

ColonialRaptor said:
The store staff grabbed the copy and started to walk away when I said I wanted to price match and this is how it went down:

I said: "Hey, where you going"

He said: "Oh, if we price match we have to swap it for a standard version as we can't give you the DLC version"

I said "Hang on a second" then I just stood there for about 1 minute silently with my head down, was trying to make sure he was feeling uncomfortable.

I said "Just gimme a sec, I'm just thinking and trying to not react in a way that will make me get kicked out of the store"

He said "Ok"

I said "So you're telling me that this isn't really a "Pre-Order" bonus, but it's a "Pay-More" bonus"

He said "We've been instructed when price matching..."

I said (interrupting) "I buy all my games here, I have more than 5 games pre-ordered and full paid off here and if I had have not been an EB customer an pre-ordered at JB I'd get their DLC and their price, I think that's kinda shonky you know"

He said "You know what, I'll just do it and say I accidently picked up the wrong one later"

I said "Good, that's better"

I was smiling and I walk outta there happy and satisfied... didn't take much, but I wasn't going to give up without getting my way lol.

Ha! Impressive, mang. I, too, will be going for the same outcome, but with minimal fuss, as my girlfriend works there and has already put a DLC copy aside for me; she's even instructed her associates to "hook me up". What a cutie :3.

Lonewolf_92 said:
Did you
trail the older woman and sneak into the diner when she placed her call? You should get a cutscene right after you interview the niece about the accident with her lawyer getting her out of the security wing of the hospital and be given the option to tail them. Her husband is a high up in Vegas and she talks him into using his influence to go after Bishop for screwing her underaged niece and trying to kill them. She's the one who stole the film of Bishop doing her niece to protect the families reputation.
Basically, Bishop and prop guy have a thing for underaged girls and are using a small soundstage in the prop shop to get young wannabe starlets to come in to do a "screen test" so they can drug them and get their jollies. They get into trouble when they do this to the niece of a former celebrity whose husband has a lot of influence in LA. She finds out, steals the tape, but is caught and drugged and Bishop tries to off them both so her husband doesn't learn about it and have them killed but botches the job.

Ah, never mind. Makes sense. Thanks for the recap!

I just finished "A Marriage Made in Heaven", and in the case notes, it says
"Another visit to Ray's and you would have seen what Leroy was prepared to do to avoid jail."
This obviously means that there's more than one way the case could have turned out
(and I didn't know that Leroy was in on it)
, but is there more than one way to still get a 5 star rating, too? Also, did
Sabo
have to die after the chase?

One last thing. What was with the guys standing in the backyard of the Pattison residence? I could swear that I've seen one of them getting interrogated in a gameplay video before...must be a different case.

mickcenary said:
Ha! Impressive, mang. I, too, will be going for the same outcome, but with minimal fuss, as my girlfriend works there and has already put a DLC copy aside for me; she's even instructed her associates to "hook me up". What a cutie :3.

Heh... well, when you can resort to such back handed measures you don't have to use years of practice at negotiating skills :p

(I'm joking, in fact I had no plan and I had to stop and think for a minute because I forgot what I was gonna say because he just turned around and walked off without saying anything and that surprised me, but it actually seemed to work really well).

darkwing

mickcenary said:
MAN!

20 pages ago, this game was sounding like the grousest grouseburger ever; now, the hype is slowly dying inside of me and I'm beginning to think that the people who are salivating over this are the same ones who salivated over Heavy Rain - a game that, in my mind, was nothing more than a glorified quicktime event that would have benefited from being portrayed in another, more succinct medium, as its story was quite entertaining, but the "action" was simply shit and boring.

In other words, this game is seemingly more suited to the gamer who plays games for story rather than gameplay. And look, don't get me wrong, I love a good story as much as the next guy, but I play video games primarily for solid gameplay and solid mechanics; a great story is an EXCELLENT bonus. It's a shame that the actual "game" seems to be filler in this case.

I'll still get it; my interest is THAT piqued that I simply can't not play it in its entirety. I just don't know if I'll keep it/love it, is all.
some people play the games for the story... like ME series had a good one

mickcenary said:
MAN!

20 pages ago, nobody was hyped because the game was a blow crap up extravaganza with the tightest mechanics ever, so I don't know where this reaction is coming from. This isn't a normal "gamey" game, and the "action" you might want resides in areas not normally associated with big budget titles. There are flashes of shootouts and chases, but that really isn't the meat of the game. The action here is in a similar vein to Mass Effect's conversations. If you enjoyed that, you'll most likely enjoy this. ME is a little more "pew pew" but still.

zoner said:
I never understood why the captain guy was so mad at me about that case

Well, it seems like the Captain
has some past history with the pedophile, so he wants him to go down for the crime instead of the husband

But man... I botched 'The Golden Butterfly' case so badly. One-star rating. If I restart the case from the 'Cases' menu, can I just continue the storyline upon re-finishing the case? So it'll immediately go into the next case, or will I just get kicked back to the 'Cases' menu?

Is anyone else starting to feel like the game is running on a bit?

I'm at the second to the last desk and I'm starting to get to that point where the cases are kinda blurring together.

Don't get me wrong, Im enjoying myself it's just that I feel like I enjoyed the low level cases a lot more. Especially traffic.

mickcenary

Heavy Rain didn't demand problem solving and deductive reasoning for the player to excel at it.

LA Noire is just pure tension. While Heavy Rain penalized you for not reacting to a QTE fast enough, LA Noire will have you second guessing yourself at every turn. You'll scramble to review your evidence and the suspect's body language to support your response, knowing that a single button press can fuck up your interview. And unlike in Heavy Rain, you can mull over it as long as you want, continually mindfucking yourself as you reconsider your decision just when your finger is 1/10th cm away from the button. While the consequences aren't nearly as great as HR's, it has a much bigger impact on me because the game flat-out says your logic was flawed in some way. I take that as a a huge blow and immediately try to figure out where I went wrong.

That's how the game affects me, at least. Your mileage may vary.

Top Bottom