• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

White Man

Unlike the COD4 beta fuckup, bitching here is very warranted. The COD4 beta was free, here, Valve got people to pay cash money for the privilege to be a part of this, using a specific date that they have failed to meet. Steam is great when it works, but this is really, really crappy, and I wonder what the heck is Valve's problem with meeting dates. As has been said, I don't think any of their games in their history have shipped when they said it would. I am a sad panda, and I am sort of glad that the reason *I* prebought was Peggle Extreme. . .by PopCap.

Jenga

Banned
Peggle Fortress. Fuck Yeah.

Apparently, they've found the problem and are working on it. STAND BY LITTLE DUDES

Jurai

Banned
win.jpg

reported my first bug!

fail.jpg

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Mine loads the Valve animation, then shows the TF2 loading splash screen

then crashes to desktop with an error dialog saying that hl2.exe has caused an error in vguimatsomething or other.dll

great.

(Halflife 2 itself runs fine, i just tried it)

White Man

OH MY GOD, IT IS AWESOME.

The initial loading of the game was very slow, and the server list didn't seem optimal. Loading up the game took a bit, and on configuring visuals, it took a bit for setting changes. It runs maxed out gloriously. 1680x1050, vsync on, everything cranked.

I was on a server with a ping of 50 something, and I appeared to be suffering from more latency than I should have. Being that this was the very first game I loaded, it could have been any number of things. That said, it looks like there is still some general presentation optimazation to work out.

Beautiful, though, beautiful.

Hooker

Indeed it is!! And when I get home, it's cooking for Champions League. I won't be able to play it until Wednesday evening :S

Jenga

Banned
Ugh...I...I think I prefer TFC to this. It's beautiful but...ugh, after playing a few rounds it feels like it's missing something.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
hanzo said:
Mcbacon what are your PC specs?

Atholon 64 3200 - 2.0GHz
1MB of RAM
RADEON X800 PRO

It's running, but just a general pain to change graphics and stuff, leaving my computer in a mangled heap - my advice to all is to get into the commentary mode and get the settings right because not only is it set to optimum graphics (which IMO should always be put down for Multiplayer) but the mouse speed is horrible :p

jaask

Quick fix taken from steampowered.com forums:

If you try to start the game and you can hear the music but there is no image, then your game CRASHES:

add a shortcut to the desktop for TF2 (by right clicking the game in the steam app)
then add -window to the launch parameters

golem

played for about 20 minutes before crashing... seems fun, definitely TF. The maps seemed good as well so far.

here's a quick grab
1401260542_a60bf6d15a_o.jpg

Borys

Banned
McBacon said:
Atholon 64 3200 - 2.0GHz
1MB of RAM
RADEON X800 PRO

Man, it was a pain the ass to run Doom 1 on a 1MB machine I can't imagine how did you manage to run TF2 on it but congrats! That's some config skillz you got there.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
jaask said:

If you try to start the game and you can hear the music but there is no image, then your game CRASHES:

add a shortcut to the desktop for TF2 (by right clicking the game in the steam app)

Fantastic. That fixed my crash. Thanks!

well it runs nicely on my pc (for its hardware obviously)

4400x2
2 gigs ram
7800gtx (256)

I have everything maxed (even tho texture detail wanted to be medium, vid card ram I bet)
and msaa 2x and anso4x

runs at 70 non firefights and 30 in firefights

tf2_1.jpg

jaask

FlyinJ said:
Fantastic. That fixed my crash. Thanks!
Good that it worked for you!

It seems that the crash to desktop is resolution based.

People have had success by either changing desktop to a lower, non-widescreen resolution or starting the game in a window. Also some have reported that adding -console as a launch parameter works also.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I made sure i put -novid +map_background none , in the launch options since i dont want to see the valve movie or 3d backgrounds. Which helped with loading in HL2, so i guess it helps here.

The game runs as smooth as butter on my 2500+/ati 9700/1gb ram machine. It stuck it in 1024x768 but i am always in 1280x1024. Haven't tried it in that res yet but it shouldnt be a problem. Oh and the loading at the start is terrribbble. That's to be expected on this POS.

But man do i fucking suck :lol . I used the spy the most for some odd reason. I thought you could sneak upto someone and instantly slice them open with the knife. But it looks like you have to exit out of stealth then start slicing. A tad annoying.
But overall what a fucking fantastic game. Time to let me mouse recharge and i can't wait to play with you gaffer's tomorrow.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Oh man, the game is so much fun. I was sort of expecting it to be extremely twitchy in the gameplay department, but it's actually a tad bit slower than I expected. It fits perfectly.

Heavy Weapons Guy with a healer = rape

Engineer given time to set everything up = Awesome!

Those were my favs.

I'll give out mroe impressions later. I got to hit the sack. Was fun playing with you guys!

Rlan

My favourite at the moment is the Scout. I love the extra speed, flying around a level, quickly shooting them or simply batting them in the head with the baseball bat. Very satisfying sound :)

I'm running an

Athlon 3200+ 2GHz
1gig RAM
GeForce 7600GT, running at 1024x768

Running quite smoothly. Some hitches during 2Fort with water, but easily overcome. How do you turn on the FPS stats etc?

Joe Molotov

jaask said:

That happened to me 4 or 5 times. I'll try that.

dfyb

Banned
so far it seems like what i was worried it would be. the gunplay is bland and there's basically nothing else to it.

71.170.13.17:27015 [M]ayhem

i have a 18 player dedicated server up and i'll leave it up till tomorrow afternoon.

let me know if there's any lag or not so i can adjust the player count for the potential next time i host. i'm near dallas and on fios.

Rlan said:
My favourite at the moment is the Scout. I love the extra speed, flying around a level, quickly shooting them or simply batting them in the head with the baseball bat. Very satisfying sound :)

I'm running an

Athlon 3200+ 2GHz
1gig RAM
GeForce 7600GT, running at 1024x768

Running quite smoothly. Some hitches during 2Fort with water, but easily overcome. How do you turn on the FPS stats etc?

go to options and keyboard advanced and enable dev console

then hit ` and type net graph 1

Sooooo awesome.

Played 5 of the classes, had good success with the engineer, pyro (of all guys), and scout.

My favorite moment:

Getting blown up by a demo man, and the HUD put one of those little bubbles up pointing to a gib and it said "Your Appendix!" :lol

I love those little "On the Bright Side" notes too, they actually make me feel better after I get owned.

bounchfx

fun as hell so far. I love the spy.

Apparently I suck a lot though.. can't aim for crap with sniper.

I should try soldier more XD

Victrix

*beard*
How awesome is TF2? So awesome

Death cams are wonderful, they immediately let you know who and what killed you - was it some camping twat sniper? A finishing rocket at the end of a Soldier fight? Or maybe an Engineer's turret...

kanedaislookinggood.jpg

Get whacked enough times by the same guy, and you get a Nemesis, which announces to the whole server
rezolutionislookinggood.jpg

I got revenge on him in the next game, assisted by a helpful Medic - the post-match screen also tracks highlights (winning cap in ctf, winning control point in control), and shows the top players
cp_well0005.jpg

Which it does before dropping to the scoreboard, which tracks all of your accumulated stats for the match, and shows any Nemesis/Dominated players
cp_well0006.jpg

Goofy ass bug - hard hits were sending players flying, which was funny looking, but occasionally they'd just... keep flying
cp_well0004.jpg

Is that my foot? :( But at least it gives consolation messages...
adverseislookinggood.jpg

I forgot to grab some shots of the Engineer interface, it's pretty neat. They can plant a single teleport entrance and exit, very helpful in capture, and something I didn't know they could do

Death messages (and score) tracks combined kills for when multiple players take someone down, which is a nice nod to assists, though score means little (nothing?) on most maps, it's just a measure of your general contribution.to the team (and an epeen meter for pubs)

Medic distance healing is SUPER helpful, and invincibility is a stalemate breaker. Good offensive teamplay will live or die by the Medic mini teams you have active.

I was pleased that within minutes of getting on 2fort, we had 4 snipers, and next to no offense, glad that hasn't changed

Turrets are vicious, if you aren't playing the right class, they are fucking hard to deal with alone

Scouts speed and double jump, combined with their hand cannon is a mean combo. They are surprisingly nasty in combat, and since they can cap control points at double speed, it helps.

Beaning people with melee weapons is hilarious

Soldier is solid, critical hits are awesome looking with him - rocket flame goes blue, and with any class, you get a nifty spark and critical hit popup on death

Heavies are tough - not my type of class, but the Medic/Heavy combo is just as nasty as you'd expect it to be

Demoman is very solid for defense, with no grenades to toss around corners, spotting a field of sticky bombs and knowing the Demo is just waiting for you to cross them is a difficult problem for most classes

Pyro is pure flaming death up close. And he generates hilarious yells.

Spy is great, the mask disguise thing is just wonderful, since it clears up the constant friendly fire on your team's spies. Cloak is nice, and I ate quite a few backstabs, even as more mobile classes. One of the better classes for taking down turrets, as they can whack them with a charge to blow even maxed turrets.

Snipers can blow me

Graphics look wonderful, very polished and smooth. Maps feel tight and are generally very clear about where you need to be going, great for when you first get started. Hud icons, indicators and messages were smooth and clean and easy to read

Wonderful stuff, *really* looking forward to playing some organized team games. It's fun to screw around with on pubs, but it is SCREAMING for organized games, the various classes mesh together in so many obvious and wonderful ways

I really like the way critical hits work

I was surprised (unpleasantly so) to discover that spawn timers are in. I don't like them, I never have, but I fully understand their importance here. They greatly aid in breaking stalemates, on all of the map types. Thankfully they are generally brief, and the death cam gives you something to laugh at for a few moments after dying, then you can just watch your teammates for a few more moments before you hop back in.

Great fun, two thumbs up, A+++, will play again

Ferrio

Banned
Only played as medic so far, for lots of games. Got the highest score easily on the GAF server. Loads of fun healing a heavy and watching them mow down everyone.

Holy fucking shit.

Pure. Awesome. Fun.

And it runs just as well as CS:S or DOD:S on my shitty laptop.

I'd play all fucking night and day if I didn't have work in 4 hours.

Valve, even though they are never on time, always deliver.

Glad my ban was up just in time to post with my enthusiasm at full-blast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom