• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waku

Had no interesst whatsoever in TF2 until i saw the individuall Prices for Ep2 and Portal so i ended up with the Orange Box. I never played TF before but damn this Game is hella fun, even thouh i die hella often.

Tekuno, are you the Tre on my Friendslist? Seems like i ended up on the same Server as you just now. :lol Really suprised by this Game.

pxleyes

Banned
Damn this thing is buggy as hell. Had it crash once already.

Also takes like one minute to change resolutions (completely unacceptable), and I cant run it at full settings which seems odd because every single source game to this point I can run at 1920x1200 at full settings without even thinking about it.

played a few minutes this morning. The only thing I didn't like is they used the old CSS/HL2 sounds for walking and the start of the spawn, they seem very out of place here.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I am soooo torn. On one hand, I own Half-Life 2, Ep1 and I am not sure I want to pay $45 for TF2 and EP2, but on the other hand, the impressions I am hearing are pretty much making this impossible to resist. Why must this come out NOW with Halo 3 just a week away?

Such a nice dilemna to have. :D

traveler

Not Wario
BenjaminBirdie said:
Is the web interface PC only, or will there be a Bungie.net type site for Console stats?

I feel like we're outsiders standing on the fringe of this great PC party looking in. :lol

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
dance.jpg

Here's me dancing next to my newly built turret.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Is the web interface PC only, or will there be a Bungie.net type site for Console stats?
Steam is PC only. As stated many times earlier in this thread, the PC version is the only version worth buying unless yours in incapable.

artist

Banned
Just as soon as I got to work, I read that its unlocked ... damn ..

How is it performing ? I have a 7600GT and the native res of my monitor is 1680x1050.

pxleyes

Banned
They need to do a TON of optimization still. It isn't running nearly as well as it should on high end hardware.

I'm still getting some slowdown at 1650x1050 which I feel is beyond unacceptable. It is like they aren't even trying.

gah I dunno how I did it, but I got it to work perfectly for 3 hrs, now its gone back to not working.

Lots of people having the issue, you load the game but just b4 the menu loads hl2.exe crashes. The only way to get the game to load is by starting it in windows mode. Then u can change it to full screen.

But then if u view the score screen by pressing tab, or a map ends the game crashes. Ugh.

I wish I knew how the hell i got it to work properly. I've tried catalyst 7.4 and 7.9 same thing occurs.

1-D_FTW

Yeah. I think I'm gonna enjoy this. Had a ton of fun, even though I didn't really know what I was doing. Couple questions:

1.) Is that shotgun that weak? I wasn't doing very much damage. Almost like there was lots of lag, but my ping was 30.

2.) How exactly do you earn metal as an engineer? You get enough to build your little turret and then that's it. It usually is destroyed before you respawn and can upgrade it.

Which brings me to one complaint: Engineers should get assist kills for helping to upgrade turrets. I go around upgrading turrets I find cause it helps the team. But aside from depleting my metal for myself, I get squat.

The one time fellow engineers helped upgrade my turret, I had it get 7 kills. With so many things geared towards teamwork, this is a major oversight IMO.

Speaking of teamwork, there was one round with a 60 second ready period where the medic spent the whole time boosting players health. Points for that? But not helping construct turrets? WTF.

One thing I really like about the main scoreboard is it doesn't show deaths. I like that. A lot.

God this game is so good. Removing grenades has changed everything, but towards what they were aiming for with the original TFC. Far more polished and Hydro is excellent. I'm already in love with HWGs and Medics, haven't even tried Snipers and Pyros yet.

UncleGuito said:
Steam is PC only. As stated many times earlier in this thread, the PC version is the only version worth buying unless yours in incapable.

Obvs, but those are game specific stats that a bunch of other games for 360 have no problem displaying on the webs. I was just curious.

MrPing1000 said:
gah I dunno how I did it, but I got it to work perfectly for 3 hrs, now its gone back to not working.

Lots of people having the issue, you load the game but just b4 the menu loads hl2.exe crashes. The only way to get the game to load is by starting it in windows mode. Then u can change it to full screen.

But then if u view the score screen by pressing tab, or a map ends the game crashes. Ugh.

I wish I knew how the hell i got it to work properly. I've tried catalyst 7.4 and 7.9 same thing occurs.

I've gotten that the past 2 or 3 days for some reason but if I restart steam it's fine. Don't know if you've tried that so just putting that out there.

Coen

1-D_FTW said:
Yeah. I think I'm gonna enjoy this. Had a ton of fun, even though I didn't really know what I was doing. Couple questions:

1.) Is that shotgun that weak? I wasn't doing very much damage. Almost like there was lots of lag, but my ping was 30.

2.) How exactly do you earn metal as an engineer? You get enough to build your little turret and then that's it. It usually is destroyed before you respawn and can upgrade it.

1.) I don't like using the shotgun either. Usually go for the handgun if I can. Melee weapon works like a charm too. Hard to get a hit in, but once you do, you'll probably have a kill.

2.) Metal is a pick-up, you can find it in small boxes littered all over the map, usually near a health pick-up. Also, near every spawn is a locker with all kinds of stuff, you can always get it there.

1-D_FTW

Coen said:
1.) I don't like using the shotgun either. Usually go for the handgun if I can. Melee weapon works like a charm too. Hard to get a hit in, but once you do, you'll probably have a kill.

2.) Metal is a pick-up, you can find it in small boxes littered all over the map, usually near a health pick-up. Also, near every spawn is a locker with all kinds of stuff, you can always get it there.

Thanks for the tips.

1-D_FTW

Borys said:
Does the game really looks like this:

0000002580.800x600.jpg

I mean this looks like a freaking comic panel, so awesome.

I had a moment that was even better than that while waiting to respawn. There was a heavy the was just completely mowing down invaders that were all over this big room. Took out about 6 guys and I was laughing my ass off at the absurdity of what I was seeing. It's like a comic book version of Battlefield in the OMG... did I really just see that?

pxleyes

Banned
It looks more or less like that, depending on your graphics card.

8800 it looks like that. Some weird skipping and tearing, but they will fix that.

lexi

Banned
pxleyes said:
Is there a new nvidia beta driver for this because the graphical tearing and issues with it are unbearable?

What issues are you having? I can play the game alright at max detail but it stutters occasionally, annoying but livable.

pxleyes

Banned
lockii said:
What issues are you having? I can play the game alright at max detail but it stutters occasionally, annoying but livable.

that's exactly what is happening. I also get really bad tearing (not v-sync related) when I un-zoom from the sniper rifle.

what resolution are you running?

lexi

Banned
pxleyes said:
that's exactly what is happening. I also get really bad tearing (not v-sync related) when I un-zoom from the sniper rifle.

what resolution are you running?

1440x900. I also get a bit of tearing but it doesn't really bother me, as I have to specifically look for it.

I can tell that the stuttering is not related to my graphic card because the stuttering occurs even at lowest detail.

Jenga

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
Medic + Heavy is too scary. It seems like every time I see one they have ubercharge, making hit and run demo man tactics fail.
I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to nerf that combo somehow. Sappers are also really annoying. Take down sentries like crazy.

lexi

Banned
I doubt the drivers would do anything, at least now. I'm sure the issue could be resolved with a driver update though.

pxleyes

Banned
Ya. I'm willing to attribute all these problems to the game itself. No way it is my card. If I can run Bioshock at the settings I do, then this thing should run like silk, so Valve screwed up somewhere.

lexi

Banned
I'm running a 7900GTO, and I can't run Bioshock decently. :lol

TF2 though for the most part runs very smoothly, when it doesn't do the occasional short stutter. Keep in mind what it does probably wouldn't even phase some people. In my PC games I have to have constant 72fps+, particularly shooters.

Fucking awesome game!!
For me it has a perfect play style and on pubs seems very much like what TFC felt when it first came out. Everyone being a new player and what have you. i have no doubt that some tricks will be found that add more depth and being a good spy is very difficult. I have already come up against some very accomplished ones.
This game might get me back to playing clan matches.... so much more rewarding and versatile than the likes of CS or Ins.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Kam/stats/TF2

I am pretty pleased with my stats so far considering the little time i have spent on the game :)
Off now to blow some stuff up!

Oh, runs well on my home PC.. 8600GT & 3800+ X2. Got the setting pretty low and @ 1280x90 but it still looks awesome. Cant wait to get i on my 8800GTS!

1-D_FTW

Jenga said:
I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to nerf that combo somehow. Sappers are also really annoying. Take down sentries like crazy.

They need to not make the medic invulnerable (Or maybe I'm just crazy for thinking they were.) You should be able to flank in behind, take out the medic, and then have the heavy exposed. It's not fair (Again, maybe I'm just wrong) that the puny medic goes hardcore too.

lexi

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
They need to not make the medic invulnerable (Or maybe I'm just crazy for thinking they were.) You should be able to flak in behind, take out the medic, and then have the heavy exposed. It's not fair (Again, maybe I'm just wrong) that the puny medic goes hardcore too.

Nonsense, the medic is easily killed in all other scenarios, it's a decent ability that doesn't need to be nerfed, it's only 10 seconds and it takes quite a while to build it up.

1-D_FTW

lockii said:
Nonsense, the medic is easily killed in all other scenarios, it's a decent ability that doesn't need to be nerfed, it's only 10 seconds and it takes quite a while to build it up.

I'm sure you're right. I have no idea what I'm doing at the moment and my impressions aren't that reliable. I have half a notion to spend a couple hours just in spectator mode.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/StalkerU/stats/TF2

If you need further proof of my noob-dom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom