• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TP

I just bought this from Steam :D , I couldn't wait for the 360 update anymore
I've already joined the Gaf group and I can't wait to play with you guys

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Have fun. Never hesitate to join a random server.

I just realised I haven't played defense on the 3rd Dustbowl map in a long time. Every team I am on we always end up defending through till the end on the 2nd map, sometimes shutting them out completely with the 1st.

Twig

Banned
I do, yes. And I know that's a problem.

TF2 used to be playable, though. Which is why it's so annoying. Hadn't played it for a year or so on my laptop before trying about a month ago.

Jaagen

Trying to run it at a lower DX level certainly did the work for a friend of mine(we went down to DX level 7, actually) Sure, it looked ugly but it ran fluidly enough for it to be playable.

It's strange though that L4D works better, because I was under the impression that it was a more demanding game.

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
I think the source engine in l4d has better support for multi core processors, which is why you may get better performance?

Remy

matthsv said:
I think the source engine in l4d has better support for multi core processors, which is why you may get better performance?

Remember that there's an option to enable multicore in TF2 now, although it's still marked as "beta".

So: are we going to have another GAF meetup tonight to celebrate the patch release, or are we worried it will be an all Sniper/Spy affair?

Firestorm

It's hard to coordinate on weekdays. I think Saturday might work best if we start a bit earlier (say 5PM?) letting more people from coast to coast as well as Europe play. And damn. We definitly have enough to fill empty servers it looks like. We found a 0/24 and people were queuing up to get in pretty soon!

Cheeto

There seems to be a lot of interest again for a common server. I'll go ahead and set one up.

24/7 Fort Insta-Respawn with 100% crits sound cool?

Median

Just installed the game after having it for ages and not giving it a try. I'd be up for playing on Saturday, and possibly some point in between. Steam ID is median23. Please be gentle.

Cheeto

All suggestions so far go without saying...come'on what do you take me for?

24/7 Fort InstaSpawn Low-Grav 100% crits 16 reserve slots and Quake Sounds...coming right up.

1-D_FTW

Cheeto said:
All suggestions so far go without saying...come'on what do you take me for?

24/7 Fort InstaSpawn Low-Grav 100% crits 16 reserve slots that sometimes work, sometimes don't and make auto-join non-functional and Quake Sounds...coming right up.

Fixed for critical update.

fallout

I'm definitely pumped for 24/7 2fort, but could we make it some slightly modified version of 2fort that goes through multiple betas and requires a massive download? Thanks.

Remy

Please ensure that in addition to the Quake sounds, we also have a full set of announcer sounds from UT, UT2K3, UT2K4, and UT3.

Also make sure we can callvote to change which set we're using at any given time.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Sorry to ruin your server-fest but I have a thought I must share, but if you could make the server Africa-based that would be lovely.

I'm worried about the whole headgear thing, I mean what's gonna happen with the spy? Look at what happened with the custom wepaons.
If he's gonna get the default headgear, everyone can just change to a special headgear and bam you've got a perfect spy check
If you can choose your headgear that's a lot of messing around and you have to be aware of shit like popularity and reverse-reverse-revere-psychology and shite.
If it's random then it's still problematic because there can be a headgear that's massively distracting/unpopular that'll reveal you as well.
Any thoughts/assumptions/etc. on this?

Javaman

KimiSan said:
Sorry to ruin your server-fest but I have a thought I must share, but if you could make the server Africa-based that would be lovely.

I'm worried about the whole headgear thing, I mean what's gonna happen with the spy? Look at what happened with the custom wepaons.
If he's gonna get the default headgear, everyone can just change to a special headgear and bam you've got a perfect spy check
If you can choose your headgear that's a lot of messing around and you have to be aware of shit like popularity and reverse-reverse-revere-psychology and shite.
If it's random then it's still problematic because there can be a headgear that's massively distracting/unpopular that'll reveal you as well.

I'd expect the headgear to have a minimal effect with stuff like +5% ammo carrying and -%10 burn damage

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Javaman said:
I'd expect the headgear to have a minimal effect with stuff like +5% ammo carrying and -%10 burn damage
Um, yes, but that's not what I was thinking about.
Rather I was thinking about how it'll be easier to catch spies due to a few things (that I elaborated on earlier) caused by custom headgear.

1-D_FTW

KimiSan said:

Maybe it'll automatically assign to whatever character you're spoofing? And if you're playing a class that the other team doesn't have, it'll randomize and won't really matter? That seems like it would eliminate the problem.

Ramenman

Javaman said:

Apparently that's where Valve is heading (sorry) with that, but right now the headgear we'll get with the Sniper&Spy update will be cosmetic only.

1-D_FTW

Very few people seem to have issues with Circle-X. Tre was just playing with a 19 ping. Look at my mystifying trace route:

6 te-0-2-0-5-ar03.northdade.fl.pompano.comcast.net (68.85.229.253)14.62 15.14 14.80 5.73
7 pos-0-3-0-0-cr01.miami.fl.ibone.comcast.net (68.86.91.221) 36.92 52.91 43.73 28.93
8 pos-2-2-0-0-cr01.atlanta.ga.ibone.comcast.net (68.86.86.66) 37.81 42.62 39.67 -4.06
9 pos-1-11-0-0-cr01.dallas.tx.ibone.comcast.net (68.86.85.221) 59.25 64.72 61.98 22.31
10 64.132.69.249 59.25 69.12 62.76 0.78
11 scor-02-rif1.roch.twtelecom.net (66.192.240.194) 81.16 116.17 93.56 30.80
12 206.123.64.21 92.34 107.52 99.20 5.64
13 72.249.134.178 92.03 93.14 92.65 -6.55
14 unknown.branzone.com (67.222.138.70) 93.60 101.69 96.60 3.96

Server is in Dallas. So I get to Dallas and bounce around through 5 seperate hops of varying suckitude. Kind of like that the Comcast backbone hubs are labeled as POS though. Kind of poetic.

TxdoHawk

Cheeto said:
Server is installing... Going to the gym should be done when I get back.

Awesome. I was just thinking to myself, "I've never tried playing with GAF, I wonder if they have a server?" Came in here now, and here we go.

Cheeto

It's up. Join whenever, I'll be on a little later.
b_350x20_C692108-381007-FFFFFF-000000.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom