• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oreoleo

SyNapSe said:
this may sound dumb, but how do you find the new drops/unlockables? Are they literally laying on the ground or does it just pop up saying "You found X"?

I haven't seen anything yet

It just pops up. You don't even pick it up off the ground. There is literally nothing the user can do on his end to speed up the process other than play the game a lot.

firex

Yeah. I got a Blutsauger just running out of the gate in ctf well, and other times I've gotten drops after killing someone, although frequently I don't know if I've found something until after I die, since that's when it pops up the loadout screen.

Oreoleo

I got the new Sniper shield in the middle of a life. The ticket came up in the bottom left, but when I died I didn't get the splash page to let me know I obtained it. If I hadn't seen the ticker I probably still wouldn't know I had it.

Proven

I played for an hour this morning, and about 5 more hours just now, and being my first playtime since thursday night I have about 12 hours done, and have found about 12 items. 6 of them are new for me (2 of them being heavy, and then two each for Sniper and Spy). I guess I'm just lucky.

Edit: I just remembered getting Bonk! too, so I have 7 new items, not 6.

SyNapSe

Proven said:
I played for an hour this morning, and about 5 more hours just now, and being my first playtime since thursday night I have about 12 hours done, and have found about 12 items. 6 of them are new for me (2 of them being heavy, and then two each for Sniper and Spy). I guess I'm just lucky.

just went 7 hours today with nothing and then I did just finally get 2 items in an hour. The FaN and a duplicate of something I already had..

thanks, some of the new maps are really fun. pipeline is great but it can get over run if the teams are imba. Still, I like that playstyle and the map is great.. Tons of places for ppl to sneak around side/backs

MNC

Proven said:

SHHHHEEEEEEEEIIIIIIIIIT. Give me your account-unlockability.

Tucah

you speak so well
Played for the first time this weekend since release. I'm having a blast, I forgot how much I loved this game. So far I've played maybe four or five hours and unlocked three weapons.

Teknoman

Alright, im just going to start jumping into TF2 games I see on my friends list :lol L4D too...really sucks getting out of the loop MP wise.

Twig

Banned
Okay so I've added -dxlevel 80 to the command line.

Now I'm having two problems!

1) The game won't save my video settings no matter what. Always loads at the "default" settings, whatever they are.
2) I can't join any servers! The loading bar always freezes at, I think, the "Requesting..." step. Which is normally what takes a long time anyway, IIRC, but I've waited for up to ten minutes here.

Anything I should be doing, special, since I'm running at DX8 now? I was able to join servers and save my video settings just fine at DX9. It was just an unplayable slideshow.

Acidote

I left it the whole night idling, and after getting duplicated 4 sandman, 1 natascha, 1 bonk and something else I don't even remember playing normally, I got two ambassadors by doing this >.<

firex

TheOneGuy said:

1) The game won't save my video settings no matter what. Always loads at the "default" settings, whatever they are.
2) I can't join any servers! The loading bar always freezes at, I think, the "Requesting..." step. Which is normally what takes a long time anyway, IIRC, but I've waited for up to ten minutes here.

Anything I should be doing, special, since I'm running at DX8 now? I was able to join servers and save my video settings just fine at DX9. It was just an unplayable slideshow.
Changing it to DX8 disables changing video settings. You're better off changing video settings in DX9, then restarting it with -dxlevel 80 added to the command line.

MNC

TheOneGuy said:

Put - dxlevel 80 once in the startup. After that, remove it, since that command line holds certain video settings accompanied with the name directX 8. So remove it then edit to your liking. Or when in the main menu, type mat_dxlevel 80 in the console.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Teknoman said:
How do you find items anyway? I found the ambassador for the spy...yet have no idea how.

See pic. (Just have TF2 running and you may get an item)

1z6rths.jpg

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Teknoman said:
Ouch. Guess i'll get more this way :lol

Was just about to ask about a standard GAF server.
For some yes. It only took me 3-4 hours to get 20 sniper achievements, but I still don't have all the items after over 30 hours.

Once trading hits everyone will have every weapon anyway so this system is rather pointless.

Twig

Banned
firex said:
Changing it to DX8 disables changing video settings. You're better off changing video settings in DX9, then restarting it with -dxlevel 80 added to the command line.
MNC said:
Put - dxlevel 80 once in the startup. After that, remove it, since that command line holds certain video settings accompanied with the name directX 8. So remove it then edit to your liking. Or when in the main menu, type mat_dxlevel 80 in the console.
Okay I got that working, but now I still can't connect to servers.

I think it's an altogether different problem, though! I let it sit for super extra long earlier and got a "you have been kicked for excessive ping" message. Which is weird because in the server browser it's only 150-ish average for all servers!

];

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I don't enjoy the Dead Ringer as the playstyle isn't for me, but under the hands of a superb spy it is absolutely deadly. We were getting mauled in Pipeline by one and the Pyros weren't chasing after him; nothing more annoying to a Medic than having Pyros run around like headless chickens when a Spy is out for Med blood.

firex

I think I might like payload maps the most as a spy. Very fun to sneak up disguised as a non-pyro assault class and get to the cart, because they're like "oh hell yeah someone to help push it" and then they get backstabbed.

fallout

firex said:
I think I might like payload maps the most as a spy. Very fun to sneak up disguised as a non-pyro assault class and get to the cart, because they're like "oh hell yeah someone to help push it" and then they get backstabbed.
It's so crowded, too. My offense strategy lately on pl maps is to play as a pyro and crouch down directly behind the cart, and spray fire forward. I have to continually remind myself to keep checking backwards. I've seen spies clean up behind me, heh.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
VaLiancY said:
God, How I love the Demoman. I'm getting better piping people in the face, next up I need to get better at ranging my stickies.
Indeed. Nothing more satisfying than being able to destroy people running at you. Whilst a Demoman who relies upon stickies can be a force to be reckoned with, I find that the best Demo's out there are those who use both variants and never spam away.

VaLiancY

speedpop said:
Indeed. Nothing more satisfying than being able to destroy people running at you. Whilst a Demoman who relies upon stickies can be a force to be reckoned with, I find that the best Demo's out there are those who use both variants and never spam away.

I just love with a crit pipe hits a Heavy and gibs his friends around him a pocket medic or two.

Javaman

speedpop said:

I remember the horror when I was trying to sticky bomb a pyro chasing me but I kept launching him closer and closer. *shudders*

fallout

Javaman said:
I remember the horror when I was trying to sticky bomb a pyro chasing me but I kept launching him closer and closer. *shudders*
:lol I remember that happening to me once as a Pyro. It was frightningly awesome.

Cheeto

fallout said:
All voting should make it go to 2fort, regardless of what actually wins.
that is brilliant, and when you vote to turn alltalk off, it actually turns it on? Oh, how about this...when you select any class you spawn as Sniper.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Cheeto said:
that is brilliant, and when you vote to turn alltalk off, it actually turns it on? Oh, how about this...when you select any class you spawn as Sniper.
When the map changes there should be a sound that plays saying "You just got Cheetown'd!!" followed by a sweet guitar riff.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
What would be the best way to join the server, Cheeto?

I'm looking to access it in game from the server search but I can't find it, nevermind it bookmarking it.

Sorry, I'm a total scrub at TF2, and PC gaming in general.

Firestorm

Dani said:
What would be the best way to join the server, Cheeto?

I'm looking to access it in game from the server search but I can't find it, nevermind it bookmarking it.

Sorry, I'm a total scrub to TF2, and PC gaming in general.
Copy the IP of his server. Open up your Servers tab in Steam. Click Favourites tab. Add Server to Favourites. Paste/type in the IP.

Cheeto

Javaman said:
Could you list the vote commands/options in the MOTD on the server? Thanks Cheetoman
I'll add them when I get home, I can't look them up now because everything "games" is blocked here (except GAF oddly enough), but I think to start a vote you just say 'votemap'

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Cheeto said:
I'll add them when I get home, I can't look them up now because everything "games" is blocked here (except GAF oddly enough), but I think to start a vote you just say 'votemap'

Any chance for rtv and nominate options?

Custom Maps would be nice like waste, desertfortress, and that one with the angry choo choo train :lol

Cheeto

Is my server crashing for anyone else? I assume it is because its been empty...but I get connection failures when it goes into the waiting for players phase.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Cheeto said:
Is my server crashing for anyone else? I assume it is because its been empty...but I get connection failures when it goes into the waiting for players phase.

I'll hop on shortly to check it out, if I find any issues I'll throw em your way.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Right, I got connection timed out a few times. First time, played a full defence round, no issues, next round, attack, I got timed out before the round begun. Reconnected, same thing again, the third attempted ended when I was timed out after two captures in the game.

Same thing happened, red writing, connection lost and once it started it didn't stop until I was booted. I've been timed out before either.

Also, I noticed my ping jump 30 points from when I started and when I was booted. The first time and second time my ping rose about 24 points, the third, almost 30.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Any recommendations for some friendly servers? How's the gaf server Cheeto? I haven't seen anyone on it yet myself.

I normally just drift around and haven't found any place to call home just yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom