• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Javaman

Won said:
I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE! I NEED A HAT! HOW I'M SUPPOSED TO STAB PEOPLE WITHOUT A HAT?!

I've probably put in a couple of hundred hours since the patch and hadn't gotten a single hat yet either. I wonder if there's a bug that won't reward them if your inventory is full? I really need to clean that clutter out.

Plissken

Why would you do that? said:
Hm, I didn't know this thread existed. My "lurker mentality" makes me not really check the Online forum...

Anyhow, yes, I love Team Fortress 2, while it isn't my favorite FPS ever, it is up there. I tend to mostly play as the Sniper and... um, the name evades me, but the guy with the rocket launcher... and sometimes the Scout and Heavy.

I'm not too experienced when playing FPS's in general, so if any were to play against me, I probably wouldn't be too big of an asset :lol but it's all in good fun, I think.

My favorite modes are Arena and Payload (not the new Payload Race).

I haven't played the game for very long, so there are a ton of things about it that I am confused about, like how to unlock new items for your characters.

Soldier is the guy with the rocket launcher :D . As for how to unlock items for your characters, there are 2 ways right now to do it. Each character with unlockable items has character-specific achievements, accomplishing a certain number of those achievements will award a new weapon/item. Or, every X minutes you play (cumulative) a random weapon/item is given to you. I've heard the "X" minutes is 25-30, but I'm not sure, I've never really checked myself. Like many others, I've played quite a bit since this system was rolled out, and so far I've gotten 3-4 of every weapon (at least), but only one hat, the Heavy football helmet.

firex

Even if it's fake, there's no reason Soldier wouldn't be next if you ask me. He is the least played of the 3 remaining un-updated classes, and also probably could use the most work just because the others are in good places and pretty easy for anybody to get the hang of and be good with in comparison to soldier.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Soldier is a hard class to peg. In the right hands, they are destructive as both offensive and defensive and a lot of it has to do with timing and a Kritz equipped Medic with balls of granite. Just tonight I pipped my best Medic score to hit 42 points on 39 assists - all of those playing defense with a friend who's an excellent Soldier.

It's true that a lot of new players check them out because of the rockets and such but that's the only thing going for it, and they quickly realise that spamming 4 rockets in a row just doesn't cut it. It should be interesting to see what unlocks the Soldier will receive however, as I deem the Rocket Launcher as the most powerful weapon in the game.

firex

Almost all the class updates have been based around either getting more people to play that class, or making that class better/easier for people to play as. So I think since Soldier is easily less played than engineer or demo, there's no reason they won't update the Soldier next.

I just hope they don't drop the ball as badly as they did with Scout/Heavy. I mean it says something that the only really worthwhile new item for the Heavy is the KGB, and that's just because it has no serious downside compared to the fists. Scout's items are all interesting on paper, but pretty crappy in my experience, although at least FAN isn't that bad.

If they're actually going to give Soldier guns to make him play differently, that's cool, but I kind of wish he could get a new functionality by default, too. Although that's also how I feel about Engineer, and I actually pretty much already have my dream ideas for an Engineer update.

Tintin

Neo Member
firex said:
Even if it's fake, there's no reason Soldier wouldn't be next if you ask me. He is the least played of the 3 remaining un-updated classes, and also probably could use the most work just because the others are in good places and pretty easy for anybody to get the hang of and be good with in comparison to soldier.

Oh I dunno, the servers I go to soldiers would be one of the more popular classes , as they're viewed as the most destructive class and a good solly can easily dominate games with a medic in tow.

Sibylus

Banned
The Soldier's Rocket Launcher is an absolute beast of a weapon, but I do feel that there should be an alternative of some sort. If a Demo gets bored of using his Grenade Launcher constantly, his Sticky Bomb Launcher cam fill that sort of active weapon role well enough. Same sort of thing with the Sniper and his Rifle and Huntsman.

An item or two that allow a Soldier to play differently than he would with the Rockets would be a nice addition.

firex

Tintin said:
Oh I dunno, the servers I go to soldiers would be one of the more popular classes , as they're viewed as the most destructive class and a good solly can easily dominate games with a medic in tow.
I'm just meaning Soldier is least popular out of those 3, because all 3 are pretty popular classes. But of those 3 there are times when a team might not have a Soldier, but they will have a Demo or Engineer. And in terms of the Valve tf2 stats, it supports what I'm saying (actually Soldier is lower than I thought; only above Scout and Heavy).
http://steampowered.com/status/tf2/tf2_stats.php

Tintin

Neo Member
firex said:
I'm just meaning Soldier is least popular out of those 3, because all 3 are pretty popular classes. But of those 3 there are times when a team might not have a Soldier, but they will have a Demo or Engineer. And in terms of the Valve tf2 stats, it supports what I'm saying (actually Soldier is lower than I thought; only above Scout and Heavy).
http://steampowered.com/status/tf2/tf2_stats.php

Aha yes sorry, I misinterpreted what you said, I thought you meant out of all 9 classes :lol

But yeah, looking forward to whatever class update comes, would love some new maps to play atm as I play no customs and the same old maps are starting to get a bit familiar :)
Then again I've disliked alot of the maps Vavle have introduced through class updates recently so :p

firex

Looking back on it, I really hope Valve does something for the Scout/Heavy again. They need to retool some of their stuff. Sandman was overpowered and retarded when it first came out (essentially if you got hit by Sandman, you were dead at any range) but the energy drink has always sucked, and like I said, I grinded achievements for the first 2 Heavy unlocks and neither one were any good. Sandvich is funny and that's about it, and even with the damage buff to Natascha, it's just too situational. It's basically good for spy checking some people since it will slow disguised spies, but I seriously don't find it useful in any other situation. And the whole Heavy update was supposed to make him less Medic dependent, but he sucks without a Medic compared to the other classes.

dojokun

Banned
I just thought I'd drop in to say how much I love playing Spy with Cloak and Dagger. The Dead Ringer was cool for a little while but people are generally aware of it, especially because the fake death occurs on the first hit every time... so if you're not cloaked, they shoot at you and you "die" immediately, they assume you're using the Dead Ringer, and they're right.

Anyway, Cloak and Dagger gives me the ultimate stealth experience in video gaming. Obviously not in the "realistic" sense, but in a very exciting way that's even better imo.

Playing as Spy with Cloak and Dagger on 2Fort with 32 players is pure exhilaration. Nothing like being in the enemy base watching as enemy after enemy run right by you, not knowing if they are randomly going to spycheck your position.

Anyone else in love with this role in TF2?

firex said:
Looking back on it, I really hope Valve does something for the Scout/Heavy again. They need to retool some of their stuff.

I wanted to like Bonk, but there's so few situations you can coordinate to make it useful with all the downfalls it has. Bonk needs its own buff, but an alternative would be nice too. The idea I liked before was something to tag engineer builds and certain foes with an outline Left 4 Dead style, so they could be spotted even through walls for a short period of time. Have the Scout actually scouting the battlefield.

One thing I'm really hoping they do is a secondary Spy update when the Engineer update hits. The watches were cool, but only the Dead Ringer was really imaginative. The Ambassador seemed rushed and poorly conceived, making Spies into cloaking Snipers until they nerfed the hell out of it and fixed half a dozen major glitches with hit tracking. And with no alternatives for the Sapper, Disguise Kit, or Butterfly Knife, it was kind of underwhelming if that's it.

Sibylus

Banned
dojokun said:
I just thought I'd drop in to say how much I love playing Spy with Cloak and Dagger. The Dead Ringer was cool for a little while but people are generally aware of it, especially because the fake death occurs on the first hit every time... so if you're not cloaked, they shoot at you and you "die" immediately, they assume you're using the Dead Ringer, and they're right.

Anyway, Cloak and Dagger gives me the ultimate stealth experience in video gaming. Obviously not in the "realistic" sense, but in a very exciting way that's even better imo.

Playing as Spy with Cloak and Dagger on 2Fort with 32 players is pure exhilaration. Nothing like being in the enemy base watching as enemy after enemy run right by you, not knowing if they are randomly going to spycheck your position.

Anyone else in love with this role in TF2?
That kind of stealth capability made me love the Spy. It's so much fun being the sneaky bastard, inching past an entire team and then cycling around in a thousand hiding spots so that the people who come looking for you specifically have a hard time of it. You can be a mighty thorn in the Engineers' sides in this way.

2Fort has dozens of these hiding spots, some of them no longer viable (under the courtyard stairs), others nearly foolproof (right next to the spiral staircase lower exit, the intel desk, the "round" corners, etc).

firex said:
Looking back on it, I really hope Valve does something for the Scout/Heavy again. They need to retool some of their stuff. Sandman was overpowered and retarded when it first came out (essentially if you got hit by Sandman, you were dead at any range) but the energy drink has always sucked, and like I said, I grinded achievements for the first 2 Heavy unlocks and neither one were any good. Sandvich is funny and that's about it, and even with the damage buff to Natascha, it's just too situational. It's basically good for spy checking some people since it will slow disguised spies, but I seriously don't find it useful in any other situation. And the whole Heavy update was supposed to make him less Medic dependent, but he sucks without a Medic compared to the other classes.

Natascha is worthless and I cringe every time I see a Heavy use it. The sandvich though actually isn't useless. I can't count how many times it's saved my ass from being burned to death. I would like to see the medic get some more updates or even a compelling mechanic to entice people to play medic more.

Won

Gully State said:
Natascha is worthless and I cringe every time I see a Heavy use it.

But the sound is awesome! :(

For me the Spy update was probably the worst so far. The new gun is the only thing I use, but most of the time it is only useful because of that damn Razorback.

Kulock said:
I wanted to like Bonk, but there's so few situations you can coordinate to make it useful with all the downfalls it has. Bonk needs its own buff, but an alternative would be nice too.

I find it pretty useful. Maybe not to get Sentries fire at you, but it still is good to get past them and harass the opposing spawn point.

Gully State said:
Natascha is worthless and I cringe every time I see a Heavy use it. The sandvich though actually isn't useless. I can't count how many times it's saved my ass from being burned to death. I would like to see the medic get some more updates or even a compelling mechanic to entice people to play medic more.
Natasha used to be worthless. At least now (after numerous damage tweaks) it can directly compete against Sasha Heavies if you approach them from a blind spot, whereas before a Natasha Heavy couldn't even beat a Sasha Heavy even if he had two medics backing him up.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
"As always, we're looking closely at how we can improve performance across the board for our loyal players, so as a result, the forthcoming update will bring with our largest collection of hotfixes, mechanic overhauls and engine optimizations to date. The combined effect of these fairly major changes to how you interact with both the game world and other users should help make playing Team Fortress 2 a safer, more accessible experience for everyone."

I hope that means that lag deaths will go away for the most part. Though, it looks like it may be fake. oh well.

Javaman

Won said:
But the sound is awesome! :(

I find it pretty useful. Maybe not to get Sentries fire at you, but it still is good to get past them and harass the opposing spawn point.

It sounds like an out of balance washing machine on spin cycle. :lol I love it!

Natascha Heavy slowing you down? Harshing your buzz? Or maybe you're just coming down off a can of refreshing bonk!

Either way, when you're feeling slow, just make a 45 degree turn, hold strafe and forward at the same time, and presto! back to normal!

make heavies cry and shock the world with your Bonk with no withdrawal! Incredible!

firex

As far as engineer stuff goes, I would like to see the following:
base upgrade - New sentry added that you can change in the loadout menu. It would be an assault sentry that builds fast but sits somewhere around level 2 sentries on offensive power, and can't be upgraded. It should look way different from the regular sentry, and sound different, so I kind of think it should fire a goofy 50s sci-fi style laser, or something non-bullet/rocket related. Maybe a flamethrower, as that wouldn't fuck up spies unless they approach it un-cloaked or disguised as their own team, but then it's going to be easily countered by out-ranging it.

unlocks:
nailgun - Replaces shotgun, works kind of like the syringe gun, and whoever you kill drops more metal that only you can get by running over their corpse.
super-slick spray - Replaces pistol, can be sprayed on all your buildings to make a sapper fall off and detonate harmlessly. This causes the spy to have to wait a few seconds before his sapper can be used again, and only stops the sapper once. Can also be used like jarate to create slick spots. Downside is this thing is flammable so your buildings will catch fire/slick spots can catch fire from either explosives or flamethrower/flare gun (enemy only).
welding torch - Replaces wrench/pistol (not really sure which it should replace), used to repair/upgrade buildings and destroy sappers, it can also give them a temporary health boost like being overhealed, and will set disguised spies on fire. Downsides are conflicting with the spray, doesn't repair as fast as the wrench or in big chunks, so it might use less metal in one hit but it won't protect a building. Overhealing would only be about 25% extra health for buildings instead of 50% bonus health like medics get.

I don't know, maybe some of these would be overpowered but I would kill for at least 1) a new assault sentry that you don't need to hide behind and whack with the wrench, to support playing a mobile engineer, and 2) a nailgun or some other kind of semi-auto weapon to replace the shotgun, even if it's weak. The main thing with the welding torch is they should get some kind of anti-spy upgrade (even if I think in a lot of cases, well-fortified engineers are nearly unassailable by spies anyway) and it would let someone else easily spycheck, and it would also maybe provide a little easier to sustain repairing, without repairing huge chunks of health at once. Honestly I wouldn't mind it replacing the wrench, so engineers have to choose between spray/wrench or pistol/torch with their loadout.

Vlad

dojokun said:

While it's riskier, you can work around that a bit by activating the Dead Ringer after you take the first hit. You'll end up with less health, and there's always the chance of being taken out before you can activate it, but it does look more convincing than dropping dead from a single pistol shot.

Of course, that still doesn't help with the problem of the uncloaking sound. The loud, distinct sound that gets made when you uncloak pretty much announces your presence to everybody in the area.

dojokun

Banned
Vlad said:
While it's riskier, you can work around that a bit by activating the Dead Ringer after you take the first hit. You'll end up with less health, and there's always the chance of being taken out before you can activate it, but it does look more convincing than dropping dead from a single pistol shot.

Of course, that still doesn't help with the problem of the uncloaking sound. The loud, distinct sound that gets made when you uncloak pretty much announces your presence to everybody in the area.
Good idea, I'll actually try it.

Knightfall said:
Grenade Launcher > Rocket Launcher

sneaky%20guys%20play%20snipers%20and%20spies.jpg

speedpop

Knightfall said:
Grenade Launcher > Rocket Launcher
I love my tubes as much as others, but there's something a tad more satisfying by taking out an Engineer and his sentry in 4 rockets.

I'm convinced that TF2 isn't just a game, it's a freakin $20 platform. I just played through my first arena match and it plays like an entirely different game.

1-D_FTW

Iadien said:
"As always, we're looking closely at how we can improve performance across the board for our loyal players, so as a result, the forthcoming update will bring with our largest collection of hotfixes, mechanic overhauls and engine optimizations to date. The combined effect of these fairly major changes to how you interact with both the game world and other users should help make playing Team Fortress 2 a safer, more accessible experience for everyone."

I hope that means that lag deaths will go away for the most part. Though, it looks like it may be fake. oh well.

Friend codes!

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Is there some magical voodoo dance I have to do to get my stats to save? 36 pts as a Heavy - gone 3 days later. Same with 24 as a Spy, back down to 8. And I felt so accomplished about that streak too!

1-D_FTW

Lyphen said:
Is there some magical voodoo dance I have to do to get my stats to save? 36 pts as a Heavy - gone 3 days later. Same with 24 as a Spy, back down to 8. And I felt so accomplished about that streak too!

I'm pretty sure it's find a time machine and go back to an update that didn't have this problem. But if you find the secret dance, let me know.

speedpop

Lyphen said:
It may have to do with the server you are playing on specifically. I know sometimes when I'm bored and want to pass a quick 20 mins I'll jump on an instant respawn server and all stats done during the game won't be saved.

Aw man.. I finally get a hat and it's the Demoman's Fro. Sure, it's awesome but I never EVER play demoman. :(

I'd also like some new Engi weapons... A lvl 4 sentry or a different kind would be amazing!:D

Insatlled Windows 7, ran Steam from my old XP partition. Says I can't connect to a server in TF2 because Steam is not running apparently.

Do I have to download and install Steam on my 7 partition to get into a game? Major bummer if so- the amount of downloads from now to way back with the retail disc will take a week.

Visualante said:
Insatlled Windows 7, ran Steam from my old XP partition. Says I can't connect to a server in TF2 because Steam is not running apparently.

Do I have to download and install Steam on my 7 partition to get into a game? Major bummer if so- the amount of downloads from now to way back with the retail disc will take a week.
I *think* (correct me if I'm wrong!) that you can just install Steam on W7 and then copy all the game files from the old partition to the new one.

It worked on my Linux partition, anyway. I just installed Steam and copied everything in the "steamapps" folder. That way you won't have to download everything. :)

You can also just click Steam from the D: drive. Not a long term solution but it'll do.

Doesn't work for Ghostbusters of Mirror's Edge yet. GTA IV was fine.

1-D_FTW

If you don't mind letting your computer idle for a while, you can just make a backup file of all your Steam games. I store mine on my permanent data partition. This way if I reinstall Windows, I just click on the file and have it install on whatever partition I've just reinstalled Windows on.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
speedpop said:
It may have to do with the server you are playing on specifically. I know sometimes when I'm bored and want to pass a quick 20 mins I'll jump on an instant respawn server and all stats done during the game won't be saved.
I mostly play on Vanilla/Stock map 24 player servers, so if it's server based, we're screwed, because I don't see a pattern. I just hope they can fix it when they implement the whole demo-download thing.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Lyphen said:

If you crash or are kicked from the server for any reason, the stats will not save. Or if you don't die and leave the server, your stats will not save.

Proven

Just because I find it somewhat amusing that you couldn't figure it out, also realize that it's an opponent's jarate. Someone on your own team splashing you (like say, to put out fires), won't cause the visual effect. And then soon you'll come to learn the power of mini-crits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom