• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Won

Finally got my Bonk drink! Took forever to find a sandvich eating Heavy.

Also totally didn't know that the crab walk is now a Spy taunt. :lol

Volcynika

Update

Updates to Team Fortress 2 have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The specific changes include:

Linux Dedicated Server

Improved connection logic to help servers that aren't automatically reconnecting to Steam

Engine

Fixed seeing error dialogs if the "-nocrashdialog" command line parameter is present

Team Fortress 2

Added an optional per-map particle manifest called _particles.txt, which should be located in the maps directory, so map authors can load custom particle files

Fixed minicrits resulting in reduced damage for weapons at close ranges

Fixed the Cloak and Dagger not regenerating at the correct rate

Fixed setinfo exploit that allowed restricted convars to be set while connected to a server

Fixed tournament mode being interrupted if mp_timelimit hits before both stopwatch rounds have been played

Fixed "jointeam unassigned" exploit

Fixed being able to respawn during the chat time before a level change

Fixed "sensitivity" ConVar not capping the upper value which sometimes caused a server crash

Prevented some exploits based on mat_dxlevel being changed in-game

Updated ripple effects for water drips to improve performance

Abubakr

Neo Member
Just bought this game a few days back. Having a lot of fun with it! :)

I hope I stick with it for at least a couple of months.

Javaman

What the hell is this "server is forcing consistancy for this file "particles/water_dx80.pcf"" BS?

F7 was working fine on hoodoo and pipeline, but once it switched to badwater I get that message with every server.

Javaman said:
What the hell is this "server is forcing consistancy for this file "particles/water_dx80.pcf"" BS?

F7 was working fine on hoodoo and pipeline, but once it switched to badwater I get that message with every server.

Yeah, I was getting that a lot too. Low and behold, exited out of TF2, it updated for half a second, and everything worked fine. Maybe the servers you were playing at didn't update either.

Speaking of servers, I have one, but people don't seem to care for downloading maps directly from the server itself. Any advice on cheap/good web hosting? Also, hooray for my first post on GAF after waiting for almost half a year :lol

sn00zer

Just started getting into TF2 for the first time in a really long time (havent played since launch)...really great and I applaud Valve for their most controversial update, the random weapon drops....while short term it may have seemed like crap, but in one fell swoop it got rid of achievement servers and choosing classes just to get the new content as fast as possible, making the game much more enjoyable then what I have heard about in the past

Xizk

KOTH_waste is not very fun, so I won't be playing king of the hill much,unless they change it up for the official release of koth.

sn00zer

Really noob friendly, just play as a pyro/soldier/heavy/scout/sniper classes, until you get comfortable and learn how to use the more advanced classes (engi,medic,demo,spy)

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
First few days you might feel like a complete scrub but once you get into the thick of things, like learning the maps and the nuances of the classes, then you'll wonder why you didn't pick up the game earlier.

Yeah. At first I wondered why the game was so popular, but when you learn the classes it's so much fun and versatile. It's like playing different games playing different classes. Right now I love medic, engineer and sometimes scout.

Fixed1979

sn00zer said:
Really noob friendly, just play as a pyro/soldier/heavy/scout/sniper classes, until you get comfortable and learn how to use the more advanced classes (engi,medic,demo,spy)

I actually started as a medic and learned from following someone around. Found it to be a good way to get used to the maps and at least contribute in some way.

Also, is there a GAF server still?

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
TF2 is pretty forgiving, I'd disagree with calling the Scout a good class for the beginner, you need to use your speed and agility to survive and without knowing the maps that's just asking for trouble.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Sniper McBlaze said:
Right now I love medic, engineer and sometimes scout.
That's the best part about it, going through phases of class choice preferences. I haven't touched it in a few weeks but before I stopped I was back onto Medic like something fierce. If it wasn't Medic, I was Demo. There were even phases when I was exclusively Soldier and Spy, two classes that I never really used before but stuck to them like glue for awhile and eventually everything fit.

The only class I can never get into is Sniper, which is ironic since back in my BF1942 days I had a rep for being a pain in the arse with Sniper. I suppose the style Valve chose for it never gelled for me.

The worst thing about having these long breaks is when I do get a chance to jump back in and play, I'm going to feel like a scrub again for the first few maps :lol

Helmholtz

Ya, team fortress 2 is probably my favorite game of all time now. It's up there at least.
The sheer variety in the game is just astounding. It wasn't until I realized just how many possibilities the game offered did I start to really appreciate what Valve had made.

It's kind of odd (this is getting at what speedpop said), because when I first started playing I really loved playing Soldier. However, after a few months I found that I really liked demo. Same thing happened a few months later when I started playing scout. Scout has got to be my favorite class, however it definitely has a learning curve like Ikuu said. You need to use your speed as an advantage, as well as have good accuracy. It seems like there are good classes to play that get you into the motions of the game, but after a while you'll definitely start experimenting and finding a class that suits your play style better.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
http://www.facepunch.com/showpost.php?p=15937006&postcount=1

Some custom hats, there's an email in the post from Valve saying that they love them, and some of them are identical to the ones that they've been working on. I've still to find a single one :(

At the moment I'm mainly playing Soldier, love tricking people into thinking you're out of rockets in long corridors, so they start to chase and you just switch to rockets and blow them away, got a heavy and medic combo with this last night.

Helmholtz

Sigh...getting a hat seems so unlikely, but some of the people I play with have a few. I've played at least 50 hours since the update came out, and nothing yet. And wow, some of those custom hat's are hilarious :lol:, a lot of them actually fit the game really well.

Pctx

Banned
Ikuu said:
http://www.facepunch.com/showpost.php?p=15937006&postcount=1

Some custom hats, there's an email in the post from Valve saying that they love them, and some of them are identical to the ones that they've been working on. I've still to find a single one :(

At the moment I'm mainly playing Soldier, love tricking people into thinking you're out of rockets in long corridors, so they start to chase and you just switch to rockets and blow them away, got a heavy and medic combo with this last night.
Those are quite awesome.

I'm trying to get back into my TF2 phase again, hit me up on Steam if you want to play. Same handle as here.

squinters

astigmatic
i recently got this game and have been loving it. My favorite map would be Dustbowl, but the thing is, I've been getting knida burned out on it. In fact, I'm kinda burned on all of them so much that I'm considering playing on 2Fort. But i figured I try something fresh play some custom maps.

So my question is, what are some good custom maps and what servers are they played on?

Javaman

squinters said:
i recently got this game and have been loving it. My favorite map would be Dustbowl, but the thing is, I've been getting knida burned out on it. In fact, I'm kinda burned on all of them so much that I'm considering playing on 2Fort. But i figured I try something fresh play some custom maps.

So my question is, what are some good custom maps and what servers are they played on?

PL_Frontier is hilarious but a little bit buggy and unbalanced. Instead of a bomb on a cart, it's a GIANT locomotive with a platform to stand on. The end of the map is a "rickety" elevated track where the train drives off of a cliff to blow up a sunken satellite dish.

PL_Cashworks is a well made PL map that I wouldn't be surprised if it showed up eventually as a valve release.

CP_warpath and cp_lazytown are control maps that tend to drag on, and usually take a coordinated push to win but can be very fun if people work together.

squinters

astigmatic
Javaman said:
PL_Frontier is hilarious but a little bit buggy and unbalanced. Instead of a bomb on a cart, it's a GIANT locomotive with a platform to stand on. The end of the map is a "rickety" elevated track where the train drives off of a cliff to blow up a sunken satellite dish.

PL_Cashworks is a well made PL map that I wouldn't be surprised if it showed up eventually as a valve release.

CP_warpath and cp_lazytown are control maps that tend to drag on, and usually take a coordinated push to win but can be very fun if people work together.

Thanks for the info, I'll have to try Fronteir, sounds like just the kind of freshness I need.

fresquito

Okay, so I was dead wrong about Dead Ringer, The first time I unlocked it I thought it was shit. I much preferred Cloak & Dagger, because it was awesome to see people doing things and informing my team, then spamming some kills in a small area and make the enemy team paranoic.

However, after trying Dead Ringer some more I can say I'm in love with it. No more heroic deaths that end well before they become heroic. Now you can go against the bunch of the rival team, atempt your stab, stab one or two people before they realise, activate the damn clock and make them believe you're dead just before you uncloak in a nearby place and attack against.

Today I beat my former record, with 26 points. Not much you'll say, but it's my second best score (being the first 30 with the engie).

ice cream

Banned
Anyone know why this thread is in " Online / Matchup Forum" whereas the official Battlefield 1943 thread is in normal Gaming Discussion? Seems pretty unfair.

Proven

Because every time a class update or some other big Valve announcement comes out, a thread gets made in gaming discussion anyway and 90% of the activity moves there until it dies down.

Won

ice cream said:
Anyone know why this thread is in " Online / Matchup Forum" whereas the official Battlefield 1943 thread is in normal Gaming Discussion? Seems pretty unfair.

Unfair? Is there some competition I don't know about?

Sciz

ice cream said:
Because the TF2 thread was made during a time when the mods wanted to encourage more posting here in O/M instead of having threads linger forever in General Discussion.

Helmholtz said:
Ya, team fortress 2 is probably my favorite game of all time now. It's up there at least.
The sheer variety in the game is just astounding. It wasn't until I realized just how many possibilities the game offered did I start to really appreciate what Valve had made.

It's kind of odd (this is getting at what speedpop said), because when I first started playing I really loved playing Soldier. However, after a few months I found that I really liked demo. Same thing happened a few months later when I started playing scout. Scout has got to be my favorite class, however it definitely has a learning curve like Ikuu said. You need to use your speed as an advantage, as well as have good accuracy. It seems like there are good classes to play that get you into the motions of the game, but after a while you'll definitely start experimenting and finding a class that suits your play style better.
Absolutely! Such an amazing game... I'm almost ashamed to say this, but I haven't even finished HL2 even though I never played it before.

Every class has an awesome personality and every single one of them is fun to play (even though I'm the world's worst spy/demo). There's always one fit for my mood. When I'm angry, kamikaze Pyro is great. :D

Firestorm

Sciz said:
Because the TF2 thread was made during a time when the mods wanted to encourage more posting here in O/M instead of having threads linger forever in General Discussion.
Yeah, we really need to get it moved back.

Tintin

Neo Member
Just seen this thread, have myself been addicted to TF2 for the last year or so, amazing amazing game.

Mostly play spy nowadays, its the class I get most enjoyment out of, and I like playing medic and heavy too :D

So is there a server where everyone here plays or anything? Wouldn't mind meeting up with some of ye folk, have been mostly playing on the same server for the last year more or less.

Hm, I didn't know this thread existed. My "lurker mentality" makes me not really check the Online forum...

Anyhow, yes, I love Team Fortress 2, while it isn't my favorite FPS ever, it is up there. I tend to mostly play as the Sniper and... um, the name evades me, but the guy with the rocket launcher... and sometimes the Scout and Heavy.

I'm not too experienced when playing FPS's in general, so if any were to play against me, I probably wouldn't be too big of an asset :lol but it's all in good fun, I think.

My favorite modes are Arena and Payload (not the new Payload Race).

I haven't played the game for very long, so there are a ton of things about it that I am confused about, like how to unlock new items for your characters.

firex

the spy fedora is like the best hat of the ones I've seen, too. The pyro beanie looks dumb and the scout helmet makes him look retarded (mostly it's just that it's too shiny), and a lot of the other helmets are barely noticable over the standard hats some classes wear (soldier/sniper especially).

Tintin

Neo Member
Won said:
I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE! I NEED A HAT! HOW I'M SUPPOSED TO STAB PEOPLE WITHOUT A HAT?!

Around 2 weeks after the update for hats came out the spy hat randomly dropped for me while I was playing, delighted as its my main class and all I wanted hatwise :D

If people really need hats that badly just use the TF2 fake idle program, few of my mates used it to get most of the hats ages ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom