• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Won

Had to use google to find out what Novint Falcon is and all I saw was a silly portal gun mock up.
Probably the most ridiculous thing I ever saw. :lol

Also good to see some buffs to the new cloaks. Should try them out again.

MNC

Won said:
Had to use google to find out what Novint Falcon is and all I saw was a silly portal gun mock up.
Probably the most ridiculous thing I ever saw. :lol

Also good to see some buffs to the new cloaks. Should try them out again.
Apparently it worked really awesome. I mean, the design was as good as possible for a desk imo.

I'd rather use this though :lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ym0tZSWGMc

Sibylus

Banned
June 25, 2009 - Team Fortress 2 Update Released

Updates to Team Fortress 2 have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The specific changes include:

Linux Dedicated Server

Improved connection logic to help servers that aren't automatically reconnecting to Steam, and added extra logging to track it

Added extra data gathering to help us understand and improve Linux performance

Team Fortress 2

Changed cl_flipviewmodels so it can no longer be set while connected to a server

Fixed problem with Loadout Menu "Back" button not preserving the currently equipped weapon

Fixed a case where an observer could set the observed player's view models

Fixed the Heavy's punches not matching mouse button presses when the view models are flipped

Fixed Bonk! ammo count exploit after using a regeneration locker

Fixed Dead Ringer damage reduction exploit involving Spy taunting

Reverted Force-A-Nature and airblast knockback on disguised Spies, so that they can once again be knocked back

Missed notes from previous update

The Ambassador no longer penetrates buildings

Removed the movement speed penalty on The Razorback

Hope they expand on the option the flip the view models of the weapons in the near future, partially because they defaulted the Huntsman on the right now. I'd like to be able to flip 'em around on a per-weapon basis at some point, because (specifically with the Sniper) I can't use the bow on the right and I can't properly wield the kukri knife anymore either when it's on the left.

I am glad they finally fixed the majority of the spy bugs though; he's one of my favorite classes, but I stopped picking him shortly after the update due to some of the now eliminated glitches (the invulnerability thing being the worst of all).

Blizzard

Banned
MicVlaD said:
Hope they expand on the option the flip the view models of the weapons in the near future, partially because they defaulted the Huntsman on the right now. I'd like to be able to flip 'em around on a per-weapon basis at some point, because (specifically with the Sniper) I can't use the bow on the right and I can't properly wield the kukri knife anymore either when it's on the left.

I am glad they finally fixed the majority of the spy bugs though; he's one of my favorite classes, but I stopped picking him shortly after the update due to some of the now eliminated glitches (the invulnerability thing being the worst of all).
I haven't tried it yet, but I imagine that's annoying...after playing sniper with the bow on the other side for like three weeks it'll be really hard to get used to. :lol

Also, I'm glad they immediately reverted that spy knockback thing. :lol And yay no movement penalty! That plus the other buff make the razorback ALMOST useful if you're a camping sniper with the regular gun. Jarate is of course still the best, especially if you're anywhere near the action.

Made the latter half of Badwater into a CTF map:

ctf_badwater01.jpg

ctf_badwater02.jpg

ctf_badwater03.jpg

Unfortunately (or fortunately?) with Valve putting out so many levels there doesn't seem to be as many servers running customs anymore.

Won

The Scout drink is milestone 3? :/

4 more achievements I guess. But I am finally good again with the Scout. Fan + Sandman are pretty awesome. (and annoying :p)

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Confidence Man said:

ctf_badwater01.jpg

ctf_badwater02.jpg

ctf_badwater03.jpg

Unfortunately (or fortunately?) with Valve putting out so many levels there doesn't seem to be as many servers running customs anymore.

I, sir, would play this.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Won said:
The Scout drink is milestone 3? :/

4 more achievements I guess. But I am finally good again with the Scout. Fan + Sandman are pretty awesome. (and annoying :p)
Just wait until you go back to playing with the scattergun and killing twice as many people :lol

Sciz

Botolf said:
I have a level 98 Flare Gun and a level 47 axtinguisher in my inventory.

*hmm*
:O

Worthless, I'm sure, but this does confirm that the levels can be arbitrary values rather than hardcoded.

Sibylus

Banned
Sciz said:
:O

Worthless, I'm sure, but this does confirm that the levels can be arbitrary values rather than hardcoded.
Yea, no discernible difference in combat. However, there is an unexpected benefit. I can keep the higher numbered items and ditch baseline duplicates, it's saving me space for hats (none yet).

Weenerz

Banned
Lost interest when TF2 bugged out on me and decided to delete all my unlocked weapons besides spy/sniper. I don't feel like going around and unlocking all of them again. Bleh

Won

Hazaro said:
Just wait until you go back to playing with the scattergun and killing twice as many people :lol

Eh, the old scattergun? Had to play with it again, because the Steam server was down and hated it. Sooo slow. :lol

Still 2 achievements left till milestone 3. Some easy stuff in there, but it never happens. :/

Also the server I always play on increased max. players to 30. Eh, not sure if I like that. :(

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Won said:
Eh, the old scattergun? Had to play with it again, because the Steam server was down and hated it. Sooo slow. :lol

Still 2 achievements left till milestone 3. Some easy stuff in there, but it never happens. :/

Also the server I always play on increased max. players to 30. Eh, not sure if I like that. :(
Heh, I found I was a much much better scout going back to the scatter after using the FAN.

Oreoleo

I'm with Won on this. IDK if the FAN is actually better, or if the dual shot nature of the gun makes me play differently, but I do WAY better as scout with the FAN than the default Scout gun.

Javaman

Confidence Man said:

Sweet looking map man! is it in rotation anywhere? I'm assuming the name is CTF_BADWATER?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Orellio said:
I'm with Won on this. IDK if the FAN is actually better, or if the dual shot nature of the gun makes me play differently, but I do WAY better as scout with the FAN than the default Scout gun.
Well with the FAN it felt I was doing better because it always seemed like I was untouchable because of knockback (and didn't fear pyros anymore), but once I got good with the FAN I went back to the scatter and went 1v4 (Pyro, soldier, medic, demo) and won :lol

That cemented my use of scatter over FAN. Knocking down 3 guys in 8 seconds is fantastic.

Ydahs

I have a new found love in the Spy. I used to suck with this class but ever since I've got the Cloak and Dagger and actually spent an adequate amount of time with this class, I've improved a decent amount and so has my patience! I managed to get 7 backstabs in one round last night and I've gotten 21 of the achievements.

Jirotrom

Ok, so... I think im gonna finely get into this game again, I havent played since launch... will it be ok guys. Or will i be raped frequently. I also have no mic, unless there is a way to hook up the X360 mic to a pc.

Ydahs

Jirotrom said:
Ok, so... I think im gonna finely get into this game again, I havent played since launch... will it be ok guys. Or will i be raped frequently. I also have no mic, unless there is a way to hook up the X360 mic to a pc.
I recently started playing after a four month hiatus and even before that I was on and off. After an hour or two I didn't look out of place at all, so you should fit right in after a while.

As for the 360 mic - isn't it bluetooth? If you can connect bluetooth devices you might be able to download drivers which can support it, though I'm only guessing.

Jirotrom

Ydahs said:
I recently started playing after a four month hiatus and even before that I was on and off. After an hour or two I didn't look out of place at all, so you should fit right in after a while.

As for the 360 mic - isn't it bluetooth? If you can connect bluetooth devices you might be able to download drivers which can support it, though I'm only guessing.
nah, i have a wired mic... is playing w/o a mic going to be an issue?

MNC

Sentry spy :lol I didnt notice his arms. I imagine him seeing beep every turn he makes :lol

http://www.tfportal.de/?site=article_details&id=61&lang=en

Yessssssssssssssssssssssss

Robin Walker: It's getting close to being releasable in a beta form. The idea is that after you die or finish a round, and it was a round you were particularly happy with (maybe you scored an awesome kill, or saved the entire team with an ubercharge), you can ask the server to send you a demo of it. The server then sends you a demo that it recorded, which has the complete game state instead of just what your client saw, and it's in a format that's robust and won't break as easily when we update the game. In addition, the format has a some side benefits, like supporting full backwards & forwards time scrubbing.

I knew it! On some forum I go to I called it! This is awesome though awesome awesome.

AniHawk

Havent looked around for a 360 thread, and I dont want to shit this one up, but I'm playing it for the first time on the 360 and it's SO DAMN AMAZING. I went from complete newbie to schooling other newbies in about five days.

Really wanna buy this game. I need a game that I can both spend like half an hour with at a time and many hours in a row. Is it worth the 20 euros it costs at the Steam store or should I go for the Orange Box that is 30 euros? I think that sounds a little bit overpriced and I don't even know if I'll play the other games.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
It really depends. I bought Orange Box, never installed Half-Life 2 or the episodes because I had played H-F2 originally earlier and didn't care for everything after. Put about 30 mins to an hour into Portal before I deemed it "been there, done that".

However TF2 has chewed up the majority of my time on that purchase easily. I figure I've probably put in close to 200 hours now even with my stats being reset.

Proven

AniHawk said:
Havent looked around for a 360 thread, and I dont want to shit this one up, but I'm playing it for the first time on the 360 and it's SO DAMN AMAZING. I went from complete newbie to schooling other newbies in about five days.

That's what happened to me last year when I finally got access to a 360 but still no good PC. I even was doing it all with the Pyro. I need to get back on the 360 eventually to help a friend learn how to play who's without access to a good PC, but it might be difficult leaving the compression blast and a few other updates behind.

Ok, so I bought the game and I enjoyed it quite a bit. One thing that sucks donkey balls is some of the achievements. Why the hell are they achievements existing like "join a friend's game and ubercharge" him or other shitty Steam related crap like that. Do I have to get these achievements to get new items? Fuck. I got no one I know who plays this game and I don't want to fill my friends list with shitty people.

Sciz

Sniper McBlaze said:
Ok, so I bought the game and I enjoyed it quite a bit. One thing that sucks donkey balls is some of the achievements. Why the hell are they achievements existing like "join a friend's game and ubercharge" him or other shitty Steam related crap like that. Do I have to get these achievements to get new items? Fuck. I got no one I know who plays this game and I don't want to fill my friends list with shitty people.
The medic achievements are pretty half-baked all around compared to the later sets. Just be glad they lowered the requirements for weapons from what they used to be. Alternatively, just play the game and wait for the RNG to gift you what you desire.

Sciz said:
The medic achievements are pretty half-baked all around compared to the later sets. Just be glad they lowered the requirements for weapons from what they used to be. Alternatively, just play the game and wait for the RNG to gift you what you desire.

So you think the medic achievements will change? And what is RNG?

undrtakr900

Sniper McBlaze said:
So you think the medic achievements will change? And what is RNG?
R = Random
N = new-item(??)
G = Generator

I'm guessing the unlock system, never heard anyone refer to it as RNG before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom