• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sciz

It had a bunch of performance issues for a while, and possibly still does. It's been on RC2 forever though, which makes me think Valve may be tinkering with it behind the scenes.

Blizzard

Banned
Finally got a scottish resistance and direct hit, so the streak is broken! Just need 10 more items (or less if I can use stuff I already have) to craft a pyro hat.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Inkwell said:
Cashworks is a pretty good map. I'm surprised Valve haven't snatched it up like they have with some other custom maps. It has a nice mix of unique situations and lots of alternate paths, as well as using the lumberyard theme.

Horrible performance issues on that map.

Javaman

Iadien said:
Horrible performance issues on that map.

Probably just needs some tweaking. There's really not a lot of visible stuff going on in the slow beginning so maybe unseen stuff is mistakingly being rendered.

Oreoleo

Javaman said:
Probably just needs some tweaking. There's really not a lot of visible stuff going on in the slow beginning so maybe unseen stuff is mistakingly being rendered.

Kinda makes you appreciate Valve's sense of level design. Most of the biggest maps maps in TF2 (Dustbowl, Badwater, Goldrush) are actually quite compact with the route doubling back on itself resulting in a map with a relatively small area. Compared to Cashworks which is way more sprawling in design. Although with that said so is a map like Frontier which doesn't have performance issues at all.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Orellio said:
Kinda makes you appreciate Valve's sense of level design. Most of the biggest maps maps in TF2 (Dustbowl, Badwater, Goldrush) are actually quite compact with the route doubling back on itself resulting in a map with a relatively small area. Compared to Cashworks which is way more sprawling in design. Although with that said so is a map like Frontier which doesn't have performance issues at all.
Cashworks is fairly compact it does double back on itself, might be the vertical element that causes trouble or just how big the damn thing is.

Oreoleo

Hazaro said:
Cashworks is fairly compact it does double back on itself, might be the vertical element that causes trouble or just how big the damn thing is.

You're right that middle part does more or less, but there's still that whole spawn area to maneuver around. It's definitely not to the degree of something like Badwater or Dustbowl IMO. I think you're right though that the vertical aspect of the map (being on top of a mountain) is effecting performance.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Firestorm said:
I wish I wasn't always unavailable when invited to GAF games. Can't wait until summer.
Same here. This is my last month of college for the semester and the exams are getting ridiculous.

commissar

Orbitcube said:
Not a good map. I would say horrible but it's well designed in spots, but absolutely unplayable in others.
Ah :( I played it once when it came out and had fun with it, though I was mostly going around looking at the prettiness :0~

Was hoping it would turn out balanced :/

Sciz

Nice to have a little more variety on the server, even if certain parts of Pipeline and Hoodoo drive me nuts.

I'm pretty sure this is what Java must actually look like:

What is easily my most entertaining death in a while:

It lent a nice ambiance to spawn while it lasted.

Javaman

Kulock said:
TF2 in slow motion

Using a high framerate with the demo recorder, jitters a little, but shows off some of the little details you usually miss.

Damn! That explosion is just amazing!

If I have time, I'm going to revamp the server tomorrow. These server bugs are just plain annoying.

Haahahaa

Here's a semi-recent one.
ojlg2g.jpg

Javaman

Haahahaa. I didn't even think about the hats. That was the first time I've eaten at the Medieval Knights place. It was pretty enjoyable especially since the evil knight was on our team. Also got to call someone a wench without being slapped. Good times.

Jangaroo

Twig said:
Now we know what Java's into.
I wonder if Java keeps a box full of oversized white gloves in his closet like those old Bugs Bunny cartoons. Inflateable gloves I'm sure.

Javaman

Jangaroo said:
I wonder if Java keeps a box full of oversized white gloves in his closet like those old Bugs Bunny cartoons. Inflateable gloves I'm sure.

Nah, there's only 1/2 of them left.

Server is down now for the next hour or so. I'm switching back to manimod.

Blizzard

Banned
Silly question, but does anyone know how to get the Number One Assistant sniper achievement? I just dominated two players (I think) and got like 6-8 jarate assists in one LIFE, let alone one round, and I still didn't get the achievement. :(

*edit* Finally got it the next round, and it might have only been 4 assists that round. I googled and it looks like it may be bugged in some fashion, but at least I got it.

Hmm, I'm thinking of resetting all my achievements and starting them again just for some fun (besides some medic ones since they suck balls), does anyone know if there's any reason why I shouldn't reset them (bans, etc.)?

Jangaroo

Twig said:
JANGAROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

and also

KUROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
pl_hoodoo_final0002.png

Just had to rub it in Twig. I'm sorry. Together, we're a dynamic duo.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Jangaroo, I declare a formal truce between us. But if you snipe me TOO much again in the future, it's ON! I should've taken a screencap of the backstabs and then the razorback you equipped...only to have me shoot you! :D

Jangaroo

Kuro Madoushi said:
Jangaroo, I declare a formal truce between us. But if you snipe me TOO much again in the future, it's ON! I should've taken a screencap of the backstabs and then the razorback you equipped...only to have me shoot you! :D
Okay, you know what, you and your backstabs can go to hell :mad:
Truce it is... for now

Twig

Banned
Kuro Madoushi said:
:lol

Just be careful, Twig, or THIS will happen to you.
Man you literally backstabbed me at the end of that map as I was pounding the right mouse button ONE GODDAMN PERCENT AWAY FROM AN UBER YOU GGRGRRRAHHHHHHHHH
Jangaroo said:
Just had to rub it in Twig. I'm sorry. Together, we're a dynamic duo.
I like shooting you in the head. :3

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Twig said:
Man you literally backstabbed me at the end of that map as I was pounding the right mouse button ONE GODDAMN PERCENT AWAY FROM AN UBER YOU GGRGRRRAHHHHHHHHH

:lol I'm just playing on this server for fun (as evidenced by all the taunt kill attempts). On the F7 servers, I play a little bit more seriously. If you see me as an engie or medic, THEN I'm playing for keeps.

For me it's GAF server for lulz.
F7 server serious business.
Freefrag server to kill n00bs.

If it makes you feel any better, I admit I'm not a good spy at all and need work on my game...not like freakin clown makeup who massacred red team on Hydro.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

I'm serious! When I checked the rank when it was working, I was dead last on it...damn you Jangaroo and your sniping badassery! It's just extremely fun to cause havoc on the other team, get one-hit kills, and see the general panic when I "drop in". :D

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
OK OK TRUCE! I'll try not to backstab you if you're a medic next time with an almost uber charge. If you ask Jangaroo, I kept my word and ran at him from the front like a man when I called the truce and he went medic!

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Jumped onto the server earlier today but it was so god damn laggy. I had a ping of 250+ and had to leave out of embarrassment.

commissar

speedpop said:
Jumped onto the server earlier today but it was so god damn laggy. I had a ping of 250+ and had to leave out of embarrassment.
Play anyway! It's like it's 1999 and I'm playing TF1.5 on 56k all over again :>

Javaman

Boonoo said:
manimod! What weren't you liking with source?

The biggest thing was not being able to set the next map function. That and the arena map bug and I was hoping the issue with the lack of map DLing was due to the mod. Mani mod didn't fix the issue unfortunately. I sent a detailed support ticket to their customer support on what I've tried to do to get map DLing to work and but they send a stupid form letter showing how to FTP to the server, something I've been doing since day one. :eek:P

I'm going to switch hosts once this month's contract is up. It's really quite ridiculous how many issues I've been having with gameservers.com

Inkwell

Banned
I'm excited. I was having a freezing issue with windows 7 that I've hopefully solved. I've also done a workaround so I can actually use my mic and not sound like an evil clown robot :D

Jarate

Banned
Javaman said:
The biggest thing was not being able to set the next map function. That and the arena map bug and I was hoping the issue with the lack of map DLing was due to the mod. Mani mod didn't fix the issue unfortunately. I sent a detailed support ticket to their customer support on what I've tried to do to get map DLing to work and but they send a stupid form letter showing how to FTP to the server, something I've been doing since day one. :eek:P

I'm going to switch hosts once this month's contract is up. It's really quite ridiculous how many issues I've been having with gameservers.com

I didn't have any problems with gameservers when I had my server up.

Javaman

Jarate said:
I didn't have any problems with gameservers when I had my server up.

Was it a vanilla server or did you use Metamod/Sourcemod or Manimod?
Were people able to download maps from the server? In the server log I get an error message along the lines of. (map exceeds maxfilesize 64). I had the server set up to use 128M, but still had the same message.

Inkwell said:
I'm excited. I was having a freezing issue with windows 7 that I've hopefully solved. I've also done a workaround so I can actually use my mic and not sound like an evil clown robot :D

1st part :)
Second part :(

rar

Javaman said:

what do you mean? theres no command to set the next map?

Javaman

rar said:
what do you mean? theres no command to set the next map?

Nope...
http://wiki.alliedmods.net/Admin_commands_%28sourcemod%29
I didn't see it here either,
http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Console_Command_List

Edit:
net_maxfilesize
Is the variable I'm having trouble with. The server defaults to 64 and doesn't seem to accept my change to 128. Maybe it's a hardcoded value or something.

Hmm, here's another relevant value,

sv_allowdownload 1
It should be defaulted on but I'll have to double check.

rar

Javaman said:

ok i think ive got this sorted out, i could be wrong as sourcemods documentation isnt as organised as it could be

with only base plugins loaded, the nextmap function is only a cvar and not a command, so to set the nextmap youd need to type 'sm_nextmap ____" in console, with the underscores being the name of a map

to make it a command so you dont have to open up console, you could enable the 'mapchooser' plugin, which is a plugin included with sm but disabled by default. to turn it on all youd have to do is move it up from '../plugins/disabled' to '../plugins.'

so then youd be able to just type '/nextmap ____' in game to set the next map, and it would also turn off any map vote coming up

you mightve already had mapchooser turned on as it can also provide the automatic map voting, but the command isnt listed in their docs bc it comes from a nondefault plugin

http://wiki.alliedmods.net/Map_Management_Plugins_%28SourceMod%29
http://wiki.alliedmods.net/Base_Plugins_%28SourceMod%29

Javaman said:
net_maxfilesize
Is the variable I'm having trouble with. The server defaults to 64 and doesn't seem to accept my change to 128. Maybe it's a hardcoded value or something.

Hmm, here's another relevant value,

sv_allowdownload 1
It should be defaulted on but I'll have to double check.

i think 64 is the max value of the cvar, which is set by valve

i could be wrong about this, but i think you need to compress the map files for download. you open up a program like 7zip and zip the map using 'bzip2' and place that in the maps folder

so in the tf2/maps there would be 'map.bsp' as well as 'map.bsp.bz2', and whenever somebody downloads it itll take the bz2 and uncompress it automatically

you could also set 'sv_downloadurl' with the parameter being the url of a website with the maps hosted, like 'http://www.javasimaginarysite.com/tf/maps/', but youd need a website

http://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=84497
http://tf2wiki.net/wiki/Custom_maps#Running_a_dedicated_server:
http://www.teamfortress2fort.com/forums/t/Doesanyonehaveafixforthisserverproblem-6705.aspx

Javaman

rar said:
ok i think ive got this sorted out, i could be wrong as sourcemods documentation isnt as organised as it could be

with only base plugins loaded, the nextmap function is only a cvar and not a command, so to set the nextmap youd need to type 'sm_nextmap ____" in console, with the underscores being the name of a map

to make it a command so you dont have to open up console, you could enable the 'mapchooser' plugin, which is a plugin included with sm but disabled by default. to turn it on all youd have to do is move it up from '../plugins/disabled' to '../plugins.'

so then youd be able to just type '/nextmap ____' in game to set the next map, and it would also turn off any map vote coming up

you mightve already had mapchooser turned on as it can also provide the automatic map voting, but the command isnt listed in their docs bc it comes from a nondefault plugin

http://wiki.alliedmods.net/Map_Management_Plugins_%28SourceMod%29
http://wiki.alliedmods.net/Base_Plugins_%28SourceMod%29

i think 64 is the max value of the cvar, which is set by valve

i could be wrong about this, but i think you need to compress the map files for download. you open up a program like 7zip and zip the map using 'bzip2' and place that in the maps folder

so in the tf2/maps there would be 'map.bsp' as well as 'map.bsp.bz2', and whenever somebody downloads it itll take the bz2 and uncompress it automatically

you could also set 'sv_downloadurl' with the parameter being the url of a website with the maps hosted, like 'http://www.javasimaginarysite.com/tf/maps/', but youd need a website

http://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=84497
http://tf2wiki.net/wiki/Custom_maps#Running_a_dedicated_server:
http://www.teamfortress2fort.com/forums/t/Doesanyonehaveafixforthisserverproblem-6705.aspx

thanks for the tips! I was just reading up on bz2 zips earlier. I don't have access to a decent file server to redirect DL to, but perhaps with the bz2 files on the server (beside the originals) the clients will DL the zip which should fall below the limit. I'd also like to test a file below the limits to see if DLing even works at all from the server. Maybe Sciz's Pacman map will fit the bill.

rar

Javaman said:
thanks for the tips! I was just reading up on bz2 zips earlier. I don't have access to a decent file server to redirect DL to, but perhaps with the bz2 files on the server (beside the originals) the clients will DL the zip which should fall below the limit. I'd also like to test a file below the limits to see if DLing even works at all from the server. Maybe Sciz's Pacman map will fit the bill.

doesnt gameservers include a free website?

Kamaki

So I'm from the UK and the gaf server is normally empty whenever I play, except for a couple of days ago where there were a few players. I join the game and join mid conversation between some gaffer and some trolling dude asking what GAF is, whether it was some kind of internet gang. All that fun ends when Javaman pops in and bans the guy for giving the gaffer verbal abuse. :lol

Got it all recorded in a demo as well which makes for fun little listening.

Well that's my little story; was impressed at how well run and tight ship it was, would play on more if it wasn't for the time difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom