• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sciz

Twig said:
JAVAMAAAAAN

add these maps to the lineup

KOTH: Nucleus, Sawmill, Viaduct
Arena: Badlands, Granary, Lumberyard, Nucleus, Offblast, Ravine, Sawmill, Watchtower, Well
Payload Race: Pipeline
Payload: Hoodoo
Forget arena entirely, add the rest.

Blizzard said:
As long as you were on Sciz's team and the other team had 1/3 of the scores, sure! ;p
:D

There's really no secret to achieving high point totals like that, it just takes a pocket medic, a good awareness for spies, and bad enemy snipers. You satisfy those three conditions as a heavy and the only things that'll stop you are mistakes and crits.

Blizzard said:
Oh, I remembered something serious I was actually going to say! I asked some people what FOV they used, and people said 90. I tried putting mine up to 90 (at 1280x720 resolution) and it really seemed fisheye and weird to me, almost dizzying. I put it a couple of notches below 90 and it seemed reasonable. Has anyone else had a similar experience? 90 just seemed like it make walls do exaggerated leaning motions to me.
It's an artifact of the curve of the sides of a 90° FOV being mapped to a flat screen (for reference, your real life FOV is pretty close to 180° and is semicircular). You may or may not get used to it, depending on your susceptibility to motion sickness.

Twig

Banned
Some screenshots! I thnk they might be all from GAF server but a few might be F7 or OCRemix.

Included in here is one image of the best wall of sprays ever. :3

Javaman

Added some maps to the votelist. Here's the current one....

tc_hydro
cp_well
cp_granary
cp_dustbowl
cp_gravelpit
cp_badlands
cp_fastlane
cp_gorge
cp_steel
ctf_2fort
ctf_turbine
ctf_doublecross
pl_badwater
pl_goldrush
plr_pipeline
koth_harvest_event
plr_pipeline
pl_hoodoo_final
arena_granary
arena_nucleus

Hopefully I can get cashworks to work. :)

Capndrake said:
Over 2 years of screenshots:
Haaha, wtf
dom_canalzone_b30002.jpg

Found the problem with uploading missing files to players...
net_maxfilesize is set to 64 on the server. I've changed it to 128 on the server.cfg file and also in the source mod config but when I rcon to the server it still shows up as 64. Finally got around to putting a support ticket in so hopefully I'll hear something soon.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, sorry I was yelling guys. I couldn't help it since I was going around trying to get taunt kills, plus you guys are more fun to play with.

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERE'S JOHNNY!!!!

spy_taunt_kill.jpg

Spy taunt kill I got on another server

pyro_taunt_kill2.jpg

Sweet, sweet hadouken!

I only wish I'd screen capped that heavy/medic hadouken I had :/

Volcynika

:lol

I just remembered that Goldrush game where the blue team alllllllllmost had the first map won.

I was on fire with sniping it's like

"Gogogo!"
"Aww sniped"
"Gogogo!"
"Aww sniped"
"Gogogo!"
"Aww sniped"
"Gogogo!"
"Aww sniped"

Twig

Banned
Javaman said:
arena_granary
arena_nucleus
I would say add sawmill and lumberyard and watchtower before either of those!

I like nucleus, though. But a lot of people don't. And by a lot, I mean fallout, so uh yeah I dunno.

rar

Javaman said:
long map list

koth_sawmill and koth_viaduct! now!

i like koth alot better than arena personally, i dont like waiting to respawn

Twig said:
Hm, I downloaded it because I am weak to temptation. But it didn't actually save any demos!

I set prec_mode to 4, is there... anything else I need to do?

well there isnt a prec_mode 4, i think you want 3 :p

this is what i did:

prec_mode 3
prec_log 0
prec_notify 0
prec_sound 0
prec_dir "demos"

Javaman

Twig said:
I would say add sawmill and lumberyard and watchtower before either of those!

I like nucleus, though. But a lot of people don't. And by a lot, I mean fallout, so uh yeah I dunno.

rar said:
koth_sawmill and koth_viaduct! now!

i like koth alot better than arena personally, i dont like waiting to respawn

I don't want to put too many on there since they will be "polluting" the vote list. :lol
Lets find a consensus and I'll put 2 of each on there. (Well, 2 arenas and one more KOTH since Event Harvest is a given)

Also, we can run pl_cashworks but you'll just have to DL the map and put it into your TF2 map folder manually. The one you want is pl_cashworks_rc2.bsp

Infact, let's make this a night to try it out! Cashworks Saturday! You can DL it here...

http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/69298 or better yet just hop on a server that is currently running it.

Twig

Banned
Well if you're worried about polluting the list you could get rid of shitty maps like Dustbowl, Steel, and Badwater.

I don't really see the problem with having too many options.

Javaman

Twig said:
Well if you're worried about polluting the list you could get rid of shitty maps like Dustbowl, Steel, and Badwater.

I don't really see the problem with having too many options.

The problem lies with having a server that tries to do too many things. Most people/randoms when they hop on a server are usually looking for a particular game mode. Like someone else mentioned earlier, the koth or arena maps tend to clear out the server pretty quickly unless someone was looking for that in the first place. More randoms=more cannon fodder haaha. I'd much rather those maps come up every once in a while during a random map vote rather than every vote. We can always go to any of the maps by bypassing the votes and doing a direct map vote or change.

Edit: New list...

tc_hydro
cp_well
cp_granary
cp_dustbowl
cp_gravelpit
cp_badlands
cp_fastlane
cp_gorge
cp_steel
ctf_2fort
ctf_turbine
ctf_doublecross
pl_badwater
pl_goldrush
pl_hoodoo_final
pl_cashworks_rc2
plr_pipeline
koth_sawmill
koth_harvest_event
koth_viaduct
arena_lumberyard
arena_watchtower

Blizzard

Banned
Javaman said:
Added some maps to the votelist. Here's the current one....

tc_hydro
cp_well
cp_granary
cp_dustbowl
cp_gravelpit
cp_badlands
cp_fastlane
cp_gorge
cp_steel
ctf_2fort
ctf_turbine
ctf_doublecross
pl_badwater
pl_goldrush
plr_pipeline
koth_harvest_event
plr_pipeline
pl_hoodoo_final
arena_granary
arena_nucleus

Hopefully I can get cashworks to work. :)

Found the problem with uploading missing files to players...
net_maxfilesize is set to 64 on the server. I've changed it to 128 on the server.cfg file and also in the source mod config but when I rcon to the server it still shows up as 64. Finally got around to putting a support ticket in so hopefully I'll hear something soon.
I agree about arena_sawmill if you're going to allow arena. I like that environment.

Blizzard

Banned
What was your download limit? It seems silly that servers couldn't download a zipped map BSP and then the client could unzip it to save bandwidth.

Also, is it just me, or do the hit numbers sometimes not work? I know previously we didn't know at all, but now that I'm used to them, sometimes I notice they're not there. As a KGB heavy, I never seemed to see the popup numbers, and when I was sniping with the rifle, I only saw 2 out of 3 hits show numbers, even though one of them caused blood to spurt. Maybe on that one the person I was shooting ran behind a pillar to hide the number, though.

Oreoleo

Blizzard said:
What was your download limit? It seems silly that servers couldn't download a zipped map BSP and then the client could unzip it to save bandwidth.

Also, is it just me, or do the hit numbers sometimes not work? I know previously we didn't know at all, but now that I'm used to them, sometimes I notice they're not there. As a KGB heavy, I never seemed to see the popup numbers, and when I was sniping with the rifle, I only saw 2 out of 3 hits show numbers, even though one of them caused blood to spurt. Maybe on that one the person I was shooting ran behind a pillar to hide the number, though.

I've noticed that a lot lately as heavy, shooting someone above you who's body is halfway obscured by the walkway/building they're on usually causes the hit points to not show up.

Javaman

Blizzard said:

Download limit is 64megs. Pretty much every custom map is larger than that.

Blizzard

Banned
Javaman said:
Download limit is 64megs. Pretty much every custom map is larger than that.
Then again, it's sad that they don't download as .zip instead, since the .zip was only 44MB or so.

I played on a couple of servers for an hour or so today, no more items! :D

Javaman

Blizzard said:
Then again, it's sad that they don't download as .zip instead, since the .zip was only 44MB or so.

I played on a couple of servers for an hour or so today, no more items! :D

But that would make too much sense!

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I'd prefer
cp_dustbowl
cp_gravelpit
cp_gorge
cp_steel
ctf_2fort
ctf_doublecross
pl_badwater
pl_goldrush
plr_pipeline
pl_hoodoo_final

but this is just me. might be on later tonight. cashworks seemed to work fine when i jumped on for a sec today, java.

notsol337, I'd like to see a scout battle between you and boonoo before you give any declarations :D

Twig

Banned
That list is way too small. I fucking hate playing the same maps over and over and over again. We already play Steel, Badwater, and Dustbowl far too much. \: I don't even really hate them as much as I say I do, but literally EVERY SINGLE TIME I play on the server, we play those maps. Sometimes twice!

Javaman

Twig said:
That list is way too small. I fucking hate playing the same maps over and over and over again. We already play Steel, Badwater, and Dustbowl far too much. \: I don't even really hate them as much as I say I do, but literally EVERY SINGLE TIME I play on the server, we play those maps. Sometimes twice!

Hoodoo and pipeline hadn't been getting any love lately. If anyone is still on when I get back I'll fire them up.

Blizzard

Banned
Twig said:
Well no matter how big the list is, the vote list only gives what, 3-6 maps to choose from? I don't know how those are chosen.

Also, when we voted for 2fort finally, after days of trying, Java immediately force-switched it to KOTH event harvest. It's a nice map [for me to go 0-8 on], but still, we didn't get to play rare 2fort. :p

Also, four days and maybe 6-8+ hours with no items, if I'm not mistaken.

Boonoo

Blizzard said:
Well no matter how big the list is, the vote list only gives what, 3-6 maps to choose from? I don't know how those are chosen.

Also, when we voted for 2fort finally, after days of trying, Java immediately force-switched it to KOTH event harvest. It's a nice map [for me to go 0-8 on], but still, we didn't get to play rare 2fort. :p

Also, four days and maybe 6-8+ hours with no items, if I'm not mistaken.

2fort seems real common whenever I play. I think i've done it the last few times I've been on the server.

Blizzard

Banned
Boonoo said:
2fort seems real common whenever I play. I think i've done it the last few times I've been on the server.
Huh, ok. I thought I'd been on the last 3-4 days without seeing it, but maybe so.

*edit* Played an hour or so on F7, topped my team as heavy one round, still no items! >.> I'm starting to be scared that Valve has officially decided I was too close to crafting a hat.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Blizzard said:
Huh, ok. I thought I'd been on the last 3-4 days without seeing it, but maybe so.

*edit* Played an hour or so on F7, topped my team as heavy one round, still no items! >.> I'm starting to be scared that Valve has officially decided I was too close to crafting a hat.

I have gotten items, but nothing rare thus far. :(

Boonoo

Blizzard said:

sounds like it's time to idle all night!

Oreoleo

Sciz said:
edit: I ran across ctf_haarp while following Kuro into a server earlier, and it was pretty fun too. Odd hybrid CTF/CP map.

I just got done playing a round on F7 with Blizzard. Teams were only 7v7 or so and it was a ton of fun. Normally I play with it being like 14v14 and it's too spam heavy, but with the smaller teams it was pretty awesome.

Blizzard

Banned
Orellio said:
I just got done playing a round on F7 with Blizzard. Teams were only 7v7 or so and it was a ton of fun. Normally I play with it being like 14v14 and it's too spam heavy, but with the smaller teams it was pretty awesome.
Yeah, I played a few hours and did better than I usually do. Not much, but I kept around 3 dominations on a small team:

1zq96ya.jpg

Of course, no items the entire time. :lol

fallout

It was kind of disheartening when people got all upset at ctf_doublecross. It's a great map, I just think that people shit all over it as soon as they see "ctf". I don't really see the big deal with playing different maps from time to time. I've never thought that dustbowl was bad, I just don't see why people are so entertained by 3 relatively similar scenarios over and over again.

Blizzard

Banned
Botolf said:
Jesus christ, Blizzard, for all your talk about sucking at games, you're a dirty, rotten zomgliar :0
I had a good medic helping out, and a good team. We defended (stopped them at C I think?) and then went A->B->C->D+E.

fallout said:
It was kind of disheartening when people got all upset at ctf_doublecross. It's a great map, I just think that people shit all over it as soon as they see "ctf". I don't really see the big deal with playing different maps from time to time. I've never thought that dustbowl was bad, I just don't see why people are so entertained by 3 relatively similar scenarios over and over again.
I think people (like me) like to complain about pretty much everything, especially things they are not used to. Doublecross wasn't so great tonight largely because I think the teams were pretty unbalanced when it came up, and because it's so rare that people don't know how the map works. Once you start learning the alternate routes (I -still- forget to use the in-spawn sewer exit) it becomes a rather neat map in my opinion. :)

roMonster

I was playing on a server with a bot (he was medic) and he wasn't completely inept.

I wonder if Valve will ever patch in a Horde mode for TF2-- I think it would be cool but I guess the heavy would probably be OP.

Not a good map. I would say horrible but it's well designed in spots, but absolutely unplayable in others. It just lacks the type of design that you expect from Valve. For example, there's multiple parts where the defending spawn and the cart are closer than they should ever be, and that's not a fun situation to be in. That, and the open bit right at the end is engineer heaven.

Inkwell

Banned
Cashworks is a pretty good map. I'm surprised Valve haven't snatched it up like they have with some other custom maps. It has a nice mix of unique situations and lots of alternate paths, as well as using the lumberyard theme.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom