• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inkwell

Banned
Kamaki said:
So I'm from the UK and the gaf server is normally empty whenever I play, except for a couple of days ago where there were a few players. I join the game and join mid conversation between some gaffer and some trolling dude asking what GAF is, whether it was some kind of internet gang. All that fun ends when Javaman pops in and bans the guy for giving the gaffer verbal abuse. :lol

Got it all recorded in a demo as well which makes for fun little listening.

Well that's my little story; was impressed at how well run and tight ship it was, would play on more if it wasn't for the time difference.
I thought the whole situation was entertaining. I was hoping to either screw with him a bit, or have an admin come in and have some fun, but Java just swooped in, took care of him, and then vanished off the server. Kind of like Batman.

Javaman

Kamaki said:
So I'm from the UK and the gaf server is normally empty whenever I play, except for a couple of days ago where there were a few players. I join the game and join mid conversation between some gaffer and some trolling dude asking what GAF is, whether it was some kind of internet gang. All that fun ends when Javaman pops in and bans the guy for giving the gaffer verbal abuse. :lol

Got it all recorded in a demo as well which makes for fun little listening.

Well that's my little story; was impressed at how well run and tight ship it was, would play on more if it wasn't for the time difference.

He called another player a F*G several times, and not in the European cigarette form. I think he deserved worse then he got. People can abuse each other as much as they want for the most part, just don't be an idiot about it.

Twig said:
Java always mutes or kicks people right before I'm about to start trolling them. ):

I should make you a mod and then disappear for a week. I'm sure the stories would make for some fun reading. :lol

Javaman

Bah. Still no luck with getting DLs to work, even with the map zipped to a smaller then 64meg size. Guess I'll have to look externally for some storage space. RAR, Gameservers charges 5$ just for the redirect for maps. So lame.

20uyd6v.jpg

Fixed1979

First time on in a long time today, was good to see a couple GAFers on (Mario, Kuro). How do I get me one of them fancy GAF tags?

Twig

Banned
Fixed1979 said:
First time on in a long time today, was good to see a couple GAFers on (Mario, Kuro). How do I get me one of them fancy GAF tags?
Add it to your name. That's all.

Good games once again, duders!

P.S., the second Doctor really is the best. :3 (So far.)

JoeFu

Banned
wtf the surver sux so much. lik theirs this dude that playes music and crap wtf whoever is the admin neds to ban him.

y r there stuff dat pop up lik dam 1 yes 2 no wtf

i hop no1 plays ther.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I want to issue a complaint about that admin. Sheesh...always slapping me and putting beacons on me. I voted for one map, and he just picks another. The power has totally gone to his head!

Still wish there were more people though. And there were quite a number of Gaffers tonight, even if you guys ragequit! RAgEqUitTErs!!!!!!!
RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE!

Twig

Banned
JoeF! Remember that time I killed you. :3

Is Clown Makeup a GAFfer or is he just some dude from F7 who wandered over.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
He's no longer part of F7, though he may be back in there sooner or later. Right now, he's part of ics (ice cream social) along with pet, boonoo, nakedape, and a lot of other good players. He's not playing particularly serious when he's on our servers though...well...usually. I've seen more than my share of him obliterating the other team as a spy though.

Oh, and if you do see someone with an ics tag, just be careful cause they play on the pro servers :p

I've sent a few invites to the F7 members, but not too many because I don't want it to get too hardcore, plus I think they like to keep their own servers full as well.

Twig

Banned
I have moments like that, too!

But not this time. I was doing better than usual. :D
Kuro Madoushi said:
He's no longer part of F7, though he may be back in there sooner or later. Right now, he's part of ics (ice cream social) along with pet, boonoo, nakedape, and a lot of other good players. He's not playing particularly serious when he's on our servers though...well...usually. I've seen more than my share of him obliterating the other team as a spy though.

Oh, and if you do see someone with an ics tag, just be careful cause they play on the pro servers :p

I've sent a few invites to the F7 members, but not too many because I don't want it to get too hardcore, plus I think they like to keep their own servers full as well.
I've played on the F7 servers quite a bit and I don't really think it's any more hardcore than what we're doing.

If anything it's less so just because it's a 32-person server!

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Because they don't want to see 5 or 6 lvl 3 sentries on defense on the last point?

3 is a good number because two ubers could take them all out...just most of the time nobody is that coordinated.

Hah! Twig, we got some good players and some excellent players, like Sciz (though I think he's a haxx0rs), but again, if those ics guys were playing for keeps, we'd get demolished. If you don't believe me, maybe we ought to ask them sometime about it and see if they're up for it. An F7/ics VS GAF RUMBLE! We'd lose boonoo as I think he'd stick with the ics group, but Sciz, Java, Jangaroo are good players to work with and the rest of us could definitely be good support for them.

Squash

I don't see how a couple of ubers and maybe a spy or two couldn't counter it... It wouldn't be a cakewalk but it should be doable.

Boonoo

Kuro Madoushi said:
Because they don't want to see 5 or 6 lvl 3 sentries on defense on the last point?

3 is a good number because two ubers could take them all out...just most of the time nobody is that coordinated.

Hah! Twig, we got some good players and some excellent players, like Sciz (though I think he's a haxx0rs), but again, if those ics guys were playing for keeps, we'd get demolished. If you don't believe me, maybe we ought to ask them sometime about it and see if they're up for it. An F7/ics VS GAF RUMBLE! We'd lose boonoo as I think he'd stick with the ics group, but Sciz, Java, Jangaroo are good players to work with and the rest of us could definitely be good support for them.

Ha, that could be pretty fun. On sunday you guys should try popping onto the F7 pug night. Organized 6v6 is a lot of fun. The game has a completely different feel to it.

I don't see how a couple of ubers and maybe a spy or two couldn't counter it... It wouldn't be a cakewalk but it should be doable.

I think part of the problem is that too many of any class can more or less break the game; there's not too much a standard team can do if offense have 6 heavies on the cart, or defense has 6 engies on the roof. Spam is also cut down on 32man servers when you can only have 3 soldiers and 3 demos.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Squash, you make it seem like most puggers would actually coordinate enough to get ubers to take them all out...

Usually, when I am in a situation like that (5 sentries or more), I might see ONE medic get ready, then he'll go without waiting for the others, and the rest of the fucking team just stands there like idiots. Spies likely wouldn't be in position and would be focusing on backstabs rather than sapping, snipers would just throw piss and stand back for lulz, pyros would jump in and get decimated by the sentries, scouts...would be scouts...etc. One REALLY good uber could take everything out if the position is poor/spies are good/spycheckers suck, but 5 or 6? I'd like to see this...ESPECIALLY if they're really entrenched and the engies know what they're doing and are working together. Often, it's the easiest way to win. In fact, we did it the other night on the F7 servers for fun. First it was all snipers, then almost all engies. The other team could only cap the first point and no matter what they did, they couldn't get any further. I've yet to see any team take out 5-6 lvl 3 well-spaced out defense.

Boonoo...IT'S TARP!!! I don't have anywhere near the aim I need to deal with you guys. I also don't remember the last time I've taken pet out cleanly...though I did taunt kill him with a bat when he was AFK once. :lol

And I think Twig seems to be forgetting when Clown went spy the other night and we just ROLLLLLED the red team. I hate you guys! You make it seem so effortless :'(

Squash

I think if the server has one side stacked with competent engies, its a more a matter of team balance rather than an issue with class limits. It's quite frustrating when you're playing on a server and the medics or engies or whatever other class are incompetent, but you cant switch over to those classes because of a ridiculous class limit.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Squash said:
I think if the server has one side stacked with competent engies, its a more a matter of team balance rather than an issue with class limits. It's quite frustrating when you're playing on a server and the medics or engies or whatever other class are incompetent, but you cant switch over to those classes because of a ridiculous class limit.
I can see the usefulness for having class limits. As much as I love the sniper class, even I know how silly it'd be to have 5 snipers on one team when four or three of those snipers could be using a more effective class like a medic or demo. The same can be said for having multiple engineers around.
Kuro Madoushi said:

F7 is a pretty hardcore group. I'd play on their servers more if it wasn't for the 32 player cap. Gets way too hectic. But if we were to do a rumble, I'm sure we could stand a chance with you backstabbing everybody. I wish I could play tomorrow, but I have an exam and some papers to finish so I won't be able to play until Friday or the weekends :/

Sciz

Kuro Madoushi said:
Hah! Twig, we got some good players and some excellent players, like Sciz (though I think he's a haxx0rs)
The Sciz guide to playing Heavy Weapons Guy:

1. Your teammates are spies. All of them.
2. There is always a spy behind you and, map geometry permitting, above you.
3. All empty corners contain spies.
4. Dead spies are never actually dead.
5. The most effective heavy is the one no one sees coming.
6. Enemies kind enough to jump at you from above are skeet and should be treated as such for the amusement of everyone else.

I'm not sure how I would actually go about hacking as a heavy. :lol

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Sciz said:

6. Enemies kind enough to jump at you from above are skeet and should be treated as such for the amusement of everyone else.

petislookinggood.png

You're just being modest now.

commissar

I don't think cashworks is that good, theres very little scope to play tactically, so the game works out as pure firepower, or rock paper scissors.

If you take badwater as an example, there's enough space in the level for multiple battles over different routes, like 3 choke points, and that's it. Plenty of space for the classes to shine.

By contrast cashworks is like one massive chokepoint with a bunch of sidetunnels :/

Admittedly this is based on limited play, but it hasn't really "got it".
I do love me some Alpine styling though :)

Javaman

I had to ban a couple of foreigners for calling me N****R last night. :lol It happened after you guys left. I was working on getting HLSS working and jumped into a 3vs3 steel match at the end. We totally mopped up the other team as defense on the last two points. I disconnected after that and tweeked some HLSS settings and came back to see 2fort playing with the only players left being the original 3 from Steel offensive. I started shooting some people and one guy yelled "ACH!" "ACH!". I asked him what the hell that was and he said, "ACHIEVEMENTS ONLY!!!!!!!" so I told them, "I've got an achivement for you" and turned every last one of us into timebombs. :lol :lol. I banned one guy for calling me a n***** admin and his pissed off friends soon followed suit. Some people take this game far too seriously.

Twig

Banned
Kuro Madoushi said:

That is an awful idea. D:

The ics guys are an actual group that regularly play together on the same time, right? Us GAFfers only recently started playing on the same team, and we mix it up so often there's not really any way for us to learn the play styles of our buddies, etc.

Then again, it might be good for some laffz. :3
And I think Twig seems to be forgetting when Clown went spy the other night and we just ROLLLLLED the red team. I hate you guys! You make it seem so effortless :'(
No, I'm just saying that in general there is nothing that says to me the guys on F7 are that much more skilled than the guys on GAF, or that they take it any more seriously.

Besides, we have Sciz. :3

But like I said, I've played on F7 quite a bit in the past. Just not recently. So unless things have changed recently (which I doubt), then there's nothing special about that server at all. It's just more dudes.
Javaman said:
I started shooting some people and one guy yelled "ACH!" "ACH!". I asked him what the hell that was and he said, "ACHIEVEMENTS ONLY!!!!!!!" so I told them, "I've got an achivement for you" and turned every last one of us into timebombs.
Now you're getting it!

Sciz

Jangaroo said:
You're just being modest now.
I'm not even the best heavy I know. There's a guy on the OCRemix server who's an absolute nightmare to kill, and he runs around with the shotgun most of the time.

Inkwell

Banned
A Dog Chasing Cars said:
Fun playing with you guys tonight, even if I did get continuously owned by Inkwell. :p
I was playing horribly last night (yeah yeah, what's new right?), but for some reason my arrows were spot on when firing at you.

JoeFu

Banned
Back when the game first came out and us gaffers played together I used to do alright. Top 3 half the time, I sux now : (

But man this game is only fun when I play with you guys. Hopefully we can play together for a long time. Not 2 months then someone screws us/ the server over.

JoeFu said:
Back when the game first came out and us gaffers played together I used to do alright. Top 3 half the time, I sux now : (

But man this game is only fun when I play with you guys. Hopefully we can play together for a long time. Not 2 months then someone screws us/ the server over.

morph.gif

Java is Icy. Icy is JAVA. It's only a matter of time!

Proven

When I signed in, it said I hadn't been on GAF since 3/11. Damn does it look different.

Summary of my time away: Friends had Spring Break. Then I had Spring Break. Finally, I went to PAX. During all of this, I played with you guys a lot anyway. But I haven't been recording any demos!

Despite my computer being crappy at it, I'm going to start recording again.

fallengorn said:
Don't know if this got posted, but the guy who made-up the dog update went crazy and made more engineer stuff: http://manno.com.br/Engineer/

Thank you.

Don't forget: http://manno.com.br/Engineer/ft.html
and: http://manno.com.br/Engineer/deedee.html

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Sciz said:

:lol I still got ya a few times :D

JoeFu

Banned
Javaman said:
Oh god no.
Soon Java is going to take donations for Java jrjr to buy baby milk. We give him money but he's going to say its not enough. Until we dig deep and find a pic of some fat dude who is known to do that.

Javaman

JoeFu said:
Soon Java is going to take donations for Java jrjr to buy baby milk. We give him money but he's going to say its not enough. Until we dig deep and find a pic of some fat dude who is known to do that.

:lol

All kidding aside, I'm going to do things a lot different. No donations will be accepted. There's too much of a chance for funny business. If anyone wants a reserve slot they're welcome to it. Same deal with admins as long as they don't abuse it. (Making unfair advantages for their team, slaying medics, etc). There's a way for clan members to make donations directly to gameservers.com but that's not something I'm looking to pursue at this point, especially since their DLs seem to be borked unless you pay extra to gameservers ($5 for a redirect?!) and I may switch hosts in a couple of days anyways.

If anyone does feel like contributing, We could use a little space on a remote server to host the maps for people to download from. Also if someone could figure out how to work HTML into the MOTD that would add some flexibility for ranks or whatever.

Apart from laying the ban hammer on a-holes who want to act like 10 year olds on xbox live, my main goal is to keep the server fun for you guys. Map changing had been a little screwy in the past but I hope/think most of the bugs are ironed out now. I'd like to feature a new/crazy map once a week, so getting the downloads to work is my highest priority right now.

As far as the lifetime of the server, I'm definitely doing another month and certainly more if the interest is still there. Besides, I've got a hitlist of people I need to catch up too. I'm talking about you Inkwell-The Uber killer and Kuro-Mr. Sneaky bastard.

Javaman

Tisan said:
I don't think cashworks is that good, theres very little scope to play tactically, so the game works out as pure firepower, or rock paper scissors.

If you take badwater as an example, there's enough space in the level for multiple battles over different routes, like 3 choke points, and that's it. Plenty of space for the classes to shine.

By contrast cashworks is like one massive chokepoint with a bunch of sidetunnels :/

Admittedly this is based on limited play, but it hasn't really "got it".
I do love me some Alpine styling though :)

It might grow on you. They did a good job of moving the red's spawn back pretty far so it's usually possible to keep pushing the cart. (especially if people move forward past the cart to keep engineers off balance)

Twig

Banned
Javaman said:
As far as the lifetime of the server, I'm definitely doing another month and certainly more if the interest is still there. Besides, I've got a hitlist of people I need to catch up too. I'm talking about you Inkwell-The Uber killer and Kuro-Mr. Sneaky bastard.
Stop feeding their egos.

And feed mine.

JoeFu

Banned
Downloading :D :D :D :D

I'm bored so I went looking for the icy drama...

starts

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=190708&page=184

not sure where it ends, reading it over again atm.

well it stops after like a page or so

but looking to see where the icy banning happens.

YES!!!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=190708&page=202

lol
JoeFu said:
IF JAVA MADE A SERVER I WOULD BE ON 24-7

JUST ONE CONDITION!

Java Jr. must sing for us again!

also reading the past, i stuck up for the wrong guy :((((( I feel stupid

farewell to the past, to all the good times, I missed them so, but it is now time to forget

vngrw0.jpg

pilonv1

Help me TF GAF

I picked up an XFX 5850 Black Edition on Monday to replace my 5770, which is fantastic and I'm getting 60fps on nearly full detail in Just Cause 2 and Dirt 2.

However in TF2 I'm getting a lower framerate than I have with my 5770. I've reinstalled my ATI drivers (10.3), changed a bunch of settings in TF2 but still hover between 30-60 fps during anything intensive. I was getting a solid 60fps at least with my 5770 a week ago. I was wondering if MSI Afterburner was causing problems (using it for custom fan profile and that's it.

I've read around and I know TF2 is CPU limited, but I have an i5-750 and 4gb of ram. This is driving me insane since it's only TF2 related, everything else runs fine. Anyone have any suggestions?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Javaman said:

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?! I can assure you my parentage is not in question! I'd like to go medic or engie, but I'm almost always medic or engie on F7, so it's a nice change of pace to go something else. Argh...it's not like I don't feel you pain, guys. I was just on the F7 servers as a medic and kept getting getting chased by Beckett, a goddamned good CD spy. I probably shouldn't have called him out though and taunted him cause now he seems mad and is ragin!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom