• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn this game. I've got to cut back a bit. Too much time on it.

And I let myself play in front of my daughter using the weak rationalization that it is silly Wile E. Coyote type of violence.

But I hit a new low . . . I bought the latest copy of OSX (Snow Leopard) to upgrade the Mac a friend has just so I could install steam on that Machine, play TF2 for a minute, and get the iPod earbuds. :lol

Of course, when I look around the Battlefield I can see that many of other players also fired up TF2 on a friend's Mac to get the earbuds. OSX represent!

And I swear, I'd buy Sam & Max playhouse if I could get the bunny ears. Bring back that promotion, please.

BTW, am I just imagining it or is there a perceptible lag since the Macs have been added? Nothing to complain about . . . but if the issue is from the new Mac clients, I hope they can smooth it out.

Especially for the benefit of the Mac users . . . the frame rate seems pretty weak on those. Apple itself has got to step up to the plate and make their 3D performance better.

commissar said:
All those crazy Americans sleeping. Few people awake at this time can deal with the ping I guess.
I should give some foreign servers a try. I've played Left4Dead with some GAFfers down in South America with a 400 ping and it was surprising playable. But then again, that was against a bunch of zombies. Playing against humans will be quite a bit harder.

Certainly classes like scout & sniper would probably be pointless. But an engineer would probably work fine and that has been my favorite class.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
speculawyer said:
Damn this game. I've got to cut back a bit. Too much time on it.

And I let myself play in front of my daughter using the weak rationalization that it is silly Wile E. Coyote type of violence.

But I hit a new low . . . I bought the latest copy of OSX to upgrade the Mac a friend has just so I could install steam on that Machine, play TF2 for a minute, and get the iPod earbuds. :lol
And I swear, I'd buy Sam & Max playhouse if I could get the bunny ears. Bring back that promotion, please.

I can't wait to see what hat (or item) they have for the Portal 2 pre-order.

Boonoo

EvilMario said:
I can't wait to see what hat (or item) they have for the Portal 2 pre-order.

oh ho! I didn't even think of that. I hope it's a companion cube or one of the GlaDOS eyes. There really aren't any proper hats, though.

speculawyer said:
But I hit a new low . . . I bought the latest copy of OSX (Snow Leopard) to upgrade the Mac a friend has just so I could install steam on that Machine, play TF2 for a minute, and get the iPod earbuds. :lol

Of course, when I look around the Battlefield I can see that many of other players also fired up TF2 on a friend's Mac to get the earbuds. OSX represent!

You know . . . when you think about it, this was pure genius marketing. Genius.

What an awesome way to get a bunch of TF2 junkies to go install Steam on thousands of Macs owned by their friends! And when the person is done, that Mac will have Steam and a copy of TF2 downloaded on it. $9.99 later (for TF2 on sale), and Valve has a new Steam customer.

Damn you Valve! And I thought it was just the sales that hooked people.

Boonoo said:
oh ho! I didn't even think of that. I hope it's a companion cube or one of the GlaDOS eyes. There really aren't any proper hats, though.
maybe they'll give those little leg supports that the Portal woman had so you can take larger falls w/o damage.

Boonoo

speculawyer said:
maybe they'll give those little leg supports that the Portal woman had so you can take larger falls w/o damage.

I was hoping for something just like that while I was playing soldier today, but giving something that impacted actual gameplay would be trouble, I think.

Sciz

Boonoo said:
I was hoping for something just like that while I was playing soldier today, but giving something that impacted actual gameplay would be trouble, I think.
The forum rage would be palpable, and rightly so.

speculawyer said:
You should own it anyway, it's great.

Javaman

speculawyer said:

Back when I played BF1942 I would just tell my little guy that I was shooting sleeping darts. It wouldn't work as well with TF2 gibblets though. :lol

Javaman

Stability update today...

Team Fortress 2
Fixed client crash when rendering model panels
Fixed client crash when rendering text strings
Fixed client crash in the main menu
Fixed server crash related to bots and health kits

Javaman

Server is still updating. Stupid thing is DLing a bunch of HL2 files again.

70.78% downloading ../hl2/sound/vo/eli_lab/mo_airlock01.wav
70.78% downloading ../hl2/sound/vo/eli_lab/mo_airlock02.wav
70.79% downloading ../hl2/sound/vo/eli_lab/mo_airlock03.wav
70.80% downloading ../hl2/sound/vo/eli_lab/mo_airlock04.wav
70.83% downloading ../hl2/sound/vo/eli_lab/mo_airlock05.wav
70.83% downloading ../hl2/sound/vo/eli_lab/mo_airlock06.wav
70.84% downloading ../hl2/sound/vo/eli_lab/mo_airlock07.wav
70.85% downloading ../hl2/sound/vo/eli_lab/mo_airlock08.wav
70.88% downloading ../hl2/sound/vo/eli_lab/mo_airlock09.wav
70.89% downloading ../hl2/sound/vo/eli_lab/mo_airlock10.wav
70.92% downloading ../hl2/sound/vo/eli_lab/mo_airlock11.wav
70.93% downloading ../hl2/sound/vo/eli_lab/mo_airlock12.wav
70.96% downloading ../hl2/sound/vo/eli_lab/mo_airlock13.wav
70.97% downloading ../hl2/sound/vo/eli_lab/mo_airlock14.wav
70.99% downloading ../hl2/sound/vo/eli_lab/mo_alyxonwatch.wav
71.01% downloading ../hl2/sound/vo/eli_lab/mo_anyway04.wav
71.02% downloading ../hl2/sound/vo/eli_lab/mo_badcapacitor01.wav
71.04% downloading ../hl2/sound/vo/eli_lab/mo_badcapacitor02.wav
71.07% downloading ../hl2/sound/vo/eli_lab/mo_deliberately.wav

I don't know what the fuck is wrong with gameservers.com.

commissar

Yasae said:
commissar said:
Yeah I've seen that. those mods and they're incorrect.
The point is that you shouldn't be shooting at where the hitboxes are, because that's an interp between where the server last pinged it and where your client thinks they're going. You're better off shooting directly at the model itself (for instant travel weapons) as when the server gets your data and theirs and they match it's a hit, but if you were shooting at the interped hitbox then it's a miss on your end, so you'll miss.

So yeah. The actual local hitboxes are in the model itself.
AFAIK lag compensation is done via linear interp through the two client/server tick positions as the acceptable hit distance considering latency. So when your client registers a local hit with high latency, the server looks for and of the following positions X-Y during tick Z.
If that makes sense.

Basically make with the shooting at the models :)

edit: Clairifed it so Stallion isn't so confused.
But I miss shooting models point blank. That's why sniper and scout with high pings are nigh unplayable. You can't get enough hits even with amazing accuracy - which I certainly don't have with either, but it's exaggerated due to the ping. The hitbox has to be somewhere and it obviously isn't on the model in quite a few cases. Maybe the interpolation is a bit shotty. I don't know.

I don't bring these points up with other classes because they happen rarely.
Moved this over here for less derailing of the other thread. I wrote few paragraphs to help figure it out in my head but then I started repeating myself -_- sooo in the interest of brevity:

What I think Valve has done is use variable interp according to weapon/distance.
Spy facestabs were a real issue, so when in close quarters the accepted deviation (lag comp) is lessened, so at higher latencies it both harder to hit and be hit.
I also suspect because the sniper rifle is so accurate at distance, the accepted deviation is also very small.
Everything else has a noticeable travel time over medium distance so the lag comp accepts a higher deviation there.
Which would explain what you're seeing :)
Obviously the higher the latency the more precise/harder it is to get a hit within the deviation due to the delay.

And the "lag hitboxes" really don't matter. Let me know if you want me to expand on why :>

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Dling the map and its taking forever, i guess i'll have to only play when you guys have official maps. Or i guess i could go to fpsbanana but that's too much work.

Javaman

zombieshavebrains said:
Dling the map and its taking forever, i guess i'll have to only play when you guys have official maps. Or i guess i could go to fpsbanana but that's too much work.

The easiest way is to sort your server list by map and leech it off of another server. This one is WAY slow and only works for files 64megs or less.

Sciz

zombieshavebrains said:
Or i guess i could go to fpsbanana but that's too much work.
Takes less than five minutes to track down, download, and extract a new map, you don't even have to restart the game, and then you never have to do anything extra for that map ever again.

At the very, very least go grab Cashworks.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Javaman said:
The easiest way is to sort your server list by map and leech it off of another server. This one is WAY slow and only works for files 64megs or less.

Alright i'll try do this from now on.

And the server died?

Yasae

Banned
commissar said:
Moved this over here for less derailing of the other thread. I wrote few paragraphs to help figure it out in my head but then I started repeating myself -_- sooo in the interest of brevity:

What I think Valve has done is use variable interp according to weapon/distance.
Spy facestabs were a real issue, so when in close quarters the accepted deviation (lag comp) is lessened, so at higher latencies it both harder to hit and be hit.
I also suspect because the sniper rifle is so accurate at distance, the accepted deviation is also very small.
Everything else has a noticeable travel time over medium distance so the lag comp accepts a higher deviation there.
Which would explain what you're seeing :)
Obviously the higher the latency the more precise/harder it is to get a hit within the deviation due to the delay.

And the "lag hitboxes" really don't matter. Let me know if you want me to expand on why :>
That would explain what I'm seeing, but the deviation is so small for scout and sniper that you can't really judge where to hit for accuracy. It becomes luck dependent. Headshots turn into 20 damage; chest shots miss flagrantly.

I just haven't played a game which blows it so out of proportion. Even 160ms is not that much delay; it always seems much higher than it actually is.

commissar

I have been avoiding doing something useful so here's the fruit of my laziness:

How to TF2:

1. NeoGAF Server!
In TF2 Go to Start Playing>Favourites>Add Favourite and copy/paste: 68.232.178.184:27015

2. Download custom maps for fun times!
Cashworks (44MB)
Frontier (36MB)
PC: unzip the .bsp -> ~Steam\steamapps\*username*\team fortress 2\tf\maps
Mac: unzip the .bsp -> ~\Documents\Steam Content\*username*\team fortress 2\tf\maps

3. Set up your Steam Community page and join the GAF TF2 group!
STEAM>COMMUNITY
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/Neogaf-TF2
Make some friends, find some rivalries! You'll even get a notice when people are playing!

"join ussssssssss"

Did a quick copy/paste template below:
[u]How to TF2:[/u]

1. [b]NeoGAF Server![/b]
In TF2 Go to Start Playing>Favourites>Add Favourite and copy/paste: [b]68.232.178.184:27015[/b]

2. [b]Download custom maps for fun times![/b]
[b][url=http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/download/69298]Cashworks (44MB)[/url][/b]
[b][url=http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/74124]Frontier (36MB)[/url][/b]
PC: unzip the .bsp -> ~Steam\steamapps\*username*\team fortress 2\tf\maps
Mac: unzip the .bsp -> ~\Documents\Steam Content\*username*\team fortress 2\tf\maps

3. [b]Set up your Steam Community page and join the GAF TF2 group![/b]
STEAM>COMMUNITY
[b][url]http://steamcommunity.com/groups/Neogaf-TF2[/url][/b]
Make some friends, find some rivalries! You'll even get a notice when people are playing!

"join ussssssssss"

hopefully we can fit that in near the top of each page and eventually get some more cashworks going :D

Javaman

commissar said:

How to TF2:

1. NeoGAF Server!
In TF2 Go to Server>Favourites>Add Favourite and copy/paste: 68.232.178.184:27015

2. Download Cashworks RC2 map for fun times! (44MB)
http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/download/69298 ->unzip ->Steam\steamapps\username\team fortress 2\tf\maps

STEAM>COMMUNITY

"join ussssssssss"

hopefully we can fit that in near the top of each page and eventually get some more cashworks going :D

Nicely done Commissioner!
:eek:P

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
commissar said:

How to TF2:

1. NeoGAF Server!
In TF2 Go to Server>Favourites>Add Favourite and copy/paste: 68.232.178.184:27015

2. Download Cashworks RC2 map for fun times! (44MB)
http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/download/69298 ->unzip ->Steam\steamapps\username\team fortress 2\tf\maps

STEAM>COMMUNITY

4. Don't get sniped by any bacons

"join ussssssssss"

Hmm...yeah sounds about right.

I guess this is all dependent on how long Java is going to keep supporting us mooches :D

Java you deserved this face plant for killing me.

gafjavamanislookinggood.png

My poor engie didn't stand a chance against this:

hipsterheavyislookinggood.png

commissar

I've edited quotables with mac path and clarity.

Long may we mooch off Java!
please don't ever feel like you can't cancel whenever you want, we'll still appreciate all that you have done :D

Twig

Banned
commissar said:
I've edited quotables with mac path and clarity.

Long may we mooch off Java!
please don't ever feel like you can't cancel whenever you want, we'll still appreciate all that you have done :D
what no

if java shuts down the server, he dies

facts is facts

you have been warned, jayvamang

Oreoleo

Kuro Madoushi said:
I guess this is all dependent on how long Java is going to keep supporting us mooches :D

There's nothing stopping him from accepting donations (except for him being a supercool dude :D) to keep the server running if it becomes too much of a financial burden.

Javaman

Orellio said:
There's nothing stopping him from accepting donations to keep the server running if it becomes too much of a financial burden.

I'd rather stay away from donations since they lead to expectations.

"Hey, why isn't reserve working? I paid for a slot!!!"
"I should be able to admin abuse since I donated"
"WTF, the server is going down next week? I just donated $30!"
Etc.

I'd like keeping the expectations low. :lol

Boonoo

Yasae said:
What if we circulated in one new map a month and made announcements on the Steam group? Would that help?

Yeah, I think so. If we spam places to download and trickle them in slow it could work.

I nominate cp furnace creek!

It's a well made capture point map in the gravel pit style.

Blizzard

Banned
Boonoo said:
Yeah, I think so. If we spam places to download and trickle them in slow it could work.

I nominate cp furnace creek!

It's a well made capture point map in the gravel pit style.
On one hand, it looks like it only has three points, like gravelpit. On the other hand, it's Boonoo, so I can only assume it's a 5-point capture map like Well or Badlands! I'm torn! :lol

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
So I went to download the Portal 2 teaser from steam and saw that the mac video was for download as well. First time I noticed Engie's suped up shotgun. I am slow.

Javaman

Yeah, crazy fun hoodoo round. I "almost" made it to the very end without dying by playing it safe, but a spy nailed me. 11,199 healing in one life. :eek:O

firex

shadowcomplex said:
i duno if its fake. but that would explain the scope on the engi shotgun
I was thinking of something way different. Someone had a (fake) in-game screenshot of a loadout screen with a shotgun that didn't look like that one, and it basically said you could turn it into a level 1 sentry.

Boonoo

It could be neat if the shotgun had some different ammo types. Maybe its default would be slug shell--basically give the engie a low speed semi sniper rifle.

There's lots of different shotgun ammo, though. It could be a slug primarily and dragon's breath shells as the secondary fire.

Dragonsbreath.jpg

These two would give the engie some different means of both directly engaging in combat and giving better offensive support from his nest. The dragon's breath could be a low damage large range cone of fire--good for sniffing out spies.

Proven

Boonoo, I feel like part of your idea is being implemented. I never commented on the mac video, as I'm usually terrible at speculation, but I saw what looked like a scope on that shotgun, plus the fact that the engy was hanging out with the Soldier and Sniper, both classes that like to rain death from above/afar. A longer distance shotgun (tighter spread, possibly an actual slope, probably lower figheribg speed) would give the engy a very skill based but punch packing support weapon that doesn't force him to run out to the front lines with his weak and squishy body, and also could be a ploy to get Snipers to play Engy and be twice as useful. It'd also help counter one of the sentries primary weakpoints: long distance spam. I don't know too much about dragon breath though.

My Medic best time was 13:13 and best heal on that same life was 16,669. I was very angry one night after being awoken at 3 in the morning I and decided to play on a random dustbowl server with the kritzkreig. Sadly I ended up on one of those defense teams that had been rolled all the way to the last point of stage 3 with about 13 minutes left on the clock. I say sadly, but it was mostly sad that the other team couldn't win after me and a couple randoms joined (I'm guessing I squeezed in after a couple rage quits).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom