• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
Nice healing scores. Medic is so stressful. :p I think the only time I remember breaking 10,000 was on a defense point when I basically kept hiding in and out of the final spawn (maybe goldrush?) to be ready to defend the final point with ubers if rushes came. I think I got the 10,000 healing point achievement AFTER we won, during the humiliation period. So unless that's when it normally gives it to you, I was lucky.

Also, I think I got the 30-seconds-on-kart heavy achievement through the glitch where you get it after the teams change or whatnot. I don't know if I ever did it legitimately. People always like to shoot you if you're on the kart. =(

Proven

It's how you're supposed to get it. Pretty much all the achievements related to heal amounts wait until you die or the round ends, takes your heal score for that life, and then checks if you've made any high scores, etc.

I was looking on the apple site at the new Mac mini stuff, and I remembered that I know nearly nothing about video cards and how strong they are. Will that new card they're putting out really work well for TF2? I'm in the market for a new and more portable computer, and getting a mini with a RAM upgrade to 4GB costs only $800 total, which sounds like a good deal to me, but I'm computer parts dumb.

Edit:
From Steam Forums:
Originally Posted by DarkNecrid
You might have a point if this was 6v6, but it isn't (even then in 6v6, it isn't completely correct).

Spy stops being "infinitely reliant" on enemies making a mistake once you come to the realization that in order to kill anything in this game you have to look at someone, and if you're looking at someone, you have your back turned. All 6 members of the competitive team, no matter how good they are, can't still frag everyone and not have their backs turned at some point. All 6 members of a competitive team, no matter how good they are, can't look 360 degrees around themselves ALL THE TIME. You have to leave yourself open to a Spy to attempt to kill people, that's just the way the game works.

This is how you basically remove the luck element from Spy (or at least, marginalize it), sure you might have a point if the Spy was not very good and played it like a pub and tried to lone wolf them, but that's not how you play Spy in a small player environment, you coordinate with your team and use comms to attack in a situation that essentially forces a lose-lose situation for the opposition, which is way easier when you have 3 extra players. They either turn around, kill you (which if you are using it, can just pop DR wasting their time), and they eat spam blindly, or they don't turn around and get stabbed. In a 6v9 environment, even stabbing a Soldier is a gigantic boon in that case, because you remove a massive amount of spam that your team doesn't have temporarily, evening the spam playing field and making your pushes easier.

That's not all a Spy can do either, the Alumni game especially I used the Dead Ringer to ruin their comms pretty hard, which is a gigantic help because competitive players rely on those comms a ton. They were frustrated and there's nothing they can really do about that, combined with other utilities being frustrating (esp. the Sniper, can't say enough good things about our Sniper that game) and being outnumbered in general, they were overwhelmed.

It's just that I've done this twice, both times the players were really really good, with the Alumni team being probably the best set of NA players until this game, and I did really really well both times (better the Alumni game tho), not just saying points there, I mean in general. Both pubstar teams never complained about me, even received cheers + compliments! You underestimate the Spy in general (in all environments), I think. Competitive players are human, they make mistakes, but also because of how the game works they eventually have to open themselves up to you one way or another, and there's no way around that, a good Spy takes advantage of that fact.

I'm not even saying I'm godlike or anything (I'm above average at best!), I just seriously think you underestimate how useful a good Spy can be, especially in an environment where you have a numerical advantage. It's not a good idea to underestimate the Spy, most of these games he winds up helping his team immensely.

Yasae

Banned
Good spies take advantage of the human inability to be in two places at once. Again, it boils down to opportunity cost. Either you flip around and get shot to death, or you stay the course and get backstabbed. I haven't seen ANY players able to avoid this decision because that would be humanly impossible. So kudos for taking advantage of a situation that doesn't really have any choices. Maybe you could go back-to-back with a pyro or something, but there's still sideswipes.

Acidote

It's good to see the pyro's genre was finally confirmed, didn't know it.

v8pnih.png

firex

Yasae said:
Good spies take advantage of the human inability to be in two places at once. Again, it boils down to opportunity cost. Either you flip around and get shot to death, or you stay the course and get backstabbed. I haven't seen ANY players able to avoid this decision because that would be humanly impossible. So kudos for taking advantage of a situation that doesn't really have any choices. Maybe you could go back-to-back with a pyro or something, but there's still sideswipes.
probably why I get frustrated playing spy at first, because I never play competitively and I don't have a good microphone/headset. So I have to rely on pub coordination.

Javaman

firex said:
probably why I get frustrated playing spy at first, because I never play competitively and I don't have a good microphone/headset. So I have to rely on pub coordination.

It's real tough on alltalk servers to coordinate saps too.

"hold up guys, I'm getting ready to sap their sentries!" :lol

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Javaman said:
It's real tough on alltalk servers to coordinate saps too.

"hold up guys, I'm getting ready to sap their sentries!" :lol

Haha. I hate that. I'll often just use Cloak and Dagger, and sit near a sentry until I see my team pushing in, then I'll start sapping away. But of course, while I'm sitting there, I'll send text messages to teammates about my intentions.

Javaman

EvilMario said:
Haha. I hate that. I'll often just use Cloak and Dagger, and sit near a sentry until I see my team pushing in, then I'll start sapping away. But of course, while I'm sitting there, I'll send text messages to teammates about my intentions.

I tried to do that last night on turbine but failed miserably. I kept accidentally picking up the intel before sapping the sentries. Not good.

njr

If an engineer is behind it I normally do the stab and quickly switch over to the sapper on the sentry. The only time that doesn't work is when you have two engies or the guy actually has his sound up enough to hear you uncloak.

Javaman

njr said:
If an engineer is behind it I normally do the stab and quickly switch over to the sapper on the sentry. The only time that doesn't work is when you have two engies or the guy actually has his sound up enough to hear you uncloak.

Yeah, that usually does the trick if your quick enough. I've had much better luck doing that than outsapping the engineer. It's pretty funny when I forget to disguise first though.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Medic is the toughest class to play (not according to pet though). There aren't really any tutorials and most people just want you to heal. You can't run out and kill a ton of people and you're not really equipped with a lot of offense to take out someone intent on killing you. You also pretty much have a bull's eye from spies and snipers as well. A lot of it is safety, positioning/awareness, priority, and timing.

(safety)
1. Stop taking so many stupid risks and stop following dumbasses to certain death. I've seen more than my share of lulzproz players who think they can take on 3-4 enemies with a medic. It simply doesn't work. First priority is ALWAYS staying safe. If it means leaving the fucktard to die, then he dies as it's always better for a medic to live than any other class.

(positioning/awareness)
2. Keep your back to the walls/hide in corners so that you're not sniped or backstabbed. I'm guilty of running out into the open as well, but I tend to play more sloppy on pubs. It's better to be healing and watching behind and the flanks so that if someone comes to get you, you can call out and hope your retarded pocket helps you out (though people like sciz actually listen). You'd be surprised how n00b spies on pubs are as well, I've had more than my share of n00b spies run up to me and into my ubersaw! :D

(timing)
3. When your uber is about to run out (10-20%), RUN BACK TO A CORNER OR SAFE SPOT. This is the biggest mistake I've see medics do on pubs. Unless you can wipe out a good number of their team and you're going to end the map, you should always back out and start charging again. Reason? After you uber, you're a huge target and pretty much draw a lot of aggro so you should back out to a safer spot with the rest of your teammates to provide more support. Additionally, when you're pushing with an uber, most pubbers don't know to push with you and wait til every thing is safe before heading out.

(priority)
4. If you're running uber charge and you're under 100 health, pop your uber! Better to pop than drop. Even if you're not going to do any damage, pop and push a bit, then drop back if you need to. Kritz, I'm still not good with myself, but it is easier to use when the person you're kritzing is a demo who knows how to wreck shit OR a solly with good aim.

Acidote said:
It's good to see the pyro's genre was finally confirmed, didn't know it.

v8pnih.png
I'm pretty sure it alternates between "him" and "her"

Also, after owning this game for more than a a year it has finally sunk its teeth in me. I'm not that terrible anymore! And I finally stepped outside the soldier, pyro, medic, heavy classes I was sticking with because they seemed more noob-friendly.

Playing Sniper is fun. The drops I've been getting are pretty unlucky though. I have like 6 flare guns.

Boonoo

Kuro Madoushi said:
Medic is the toughest class to play (not according to pet though). There aren't really any tutorials and most people just want you to heal. You can't run out and kill a ton of people and you're not really equipped with a lot of offense to take out someone intent on killing you. You also pretty much have a bull's eye from spies and snipers as well. A lot of it is safety, positioning/awareness, priority, and timing.

Medic might have a lot of responsibilities, and probably has the most pressure put on him in comp play. But he's definitely the easiest to play mechanically and physically.

In the end the medic is almost purely a mental game (with some dodging thrown in). Having a good pocket makes playing medic a hell of a lot easier, though.

Javaman

Boonoo said:
Medic might have a lot of responsibilities, and probably has the most pressure put on him in comp play. But he's definitely the easiest to play mechanically and physically.

In the end the medic is almost purely a mental game (with some dodging thrown in). Having a good pocket makes playing medic a hell of a lot easier, though.

Can I be the first to say that I hate the term "pocket medic" so very, very much.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Medics are usually in high demand on pubs like F7 as well. There are just not a lot of people that want to spend time healing and being credit to team when they could be blowing something up, or playing another useless class.

You'll receive a lot of rage if you're not good at your job, but the convince of playing on only a couple of servers is I learn who will protect me, and who knows how to use an Uber (and kill Pyros spamming Airblast)

To add to your list Kuro; New Medics should know how to approach a sentry gun, especially if he's Ubering a class like Pyro, or Heavy. Being able to take the initial blast, so your buddy doesn't get significantly knocked back can mean the difference between destroying a gun and being entirely useless.

Boonoo said:
I was talking about a pocket soldier D:

In comp its reversed. Soldiers pocket and protect medics.

Good Buff Banner Soldiers with a Kritz Medic is truly a beautiful sight. Kritz to charge the Buff Banner (almost) instantly, Buff Banner while charging the Kritz. Rain death from all over the place.

Sciz

Javaman said:
Can I be the first to say that I hate the term "pocket medic" so very, very much.
Java, you're the only medic I've ever run across who shows up more often in the kill reports as the attacker instead of the assist. :lol

Proven

Sciz said:
Java, you're the only medic I've ever run across who shows up more often in the kill reports as the attacker instead of the assist. :lol

I've had times where I feel like I need be medic on Java to keep him alive (of course he doesn't need it).

EvilMario said:
Good Buff Banner Soldiers with a Kritz Medic is truly a beautiful sight. Kritz to charge the Buff Banner (almost) instantly, Buff Banner while charging the Kritz. Rain death from all over the place.

I did this with someone... yasae? Sciz? A couple weeks ago on hoodoo. I so wished I had recorded that demo. I would have forced tf2 to work it into a video file if I had to. Alas, I must wait until next time.

Boonoo said:

The worst part about being a medic in a competitive environment is that you find a lot of times where you do everything right and then still get blown up. There are literally times where there's nothing you could have done other than sit in resupply or hope you get lucky and that's what causes a lot of burn out for me more than anything else. The spy example above is one of those perfect examples.

Having a good pocket helps tons. On one other server I frequent, Couch Athletes, there's a guy who, whenever he plays Heavy, I just yell out his name and he'll immediately spin around and somehow always get the guy who's attacking me. We played a big team scrim (10-12v10-12) a couple months ago, and he was alt tabbed and working on something in Vent before the round started. A Scout kept running in and I'd yell out for him in Vent. He'd alt tab and kill the Scout before he could kill me every single time. This went on at least 5 times. It was really hilarious.

I've found that the very best pockets are those that have a large amount of medic experience, so they know in a given moment where they're probably being flanked from and where to fire a pointblank anything. But I'm biased as the only experience I have saying this is from like 3 people, and that's including myself when I go Soldier.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Proven said:
I've found that the very best pockets are those that have a large amount of medic experience, so they know in a given moment where they're probably being flanked from and where to fire a pointblank anything. But I'm biased as the only experience I have saying this is from like 3 people, and that's including myself when I go Soldier.

Oh yeah...the best medic I know personally rocks as other classes cause HE unlike some other scrubs, knows I can't do shit if an experienced solly or scout is on me. Bah! All you bastards who don't play medic don't know the pain! The helplessness that comes when a scout has a glint in his eye cause your stupid pocket is too busy trying to be top fraggin pro.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
How to be a good medic:

1) Treat everyone as expendable point getters for you, check constantly behind you
2) Run away and hide behind stuff if there is a lot of spam, check constantly behind you
3) Make people come to you to heal
4) Uber at the last possible second when possible
5) Tell your team when to push or follow an uber, be the crutch that forces the flow forward (While still following 1, 2, and 3)

There's more nuance than those points, but if you keep those in mind (mainly NOT DYING EVER) you can easily double the amount of ubers you pop and you being alive = everyone else being alive.

I was playing medic today for a bit and broke my kill assist record, probably popped 8 ubers and died once playing on Hoodoo. Teams were not that great, we had more points but they had the dominations and holds.

wv1mxd.jpg

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Kuro Madoushi said:
Oh yeah...the best medic I know personally rocks as other classes cause HE unlike some other scrubs, knows I can't do shit if an experienced solly or scout is on me. Bah! All you bastards who don't play medic don't know the pain! The helplessness that comes when a scout has a glint in his eye cause your stupid pocket is too busy trying to be top fraggin pro.

Die by an arrow.

Sciz

Proven said:
I did this with someone... yasae? Sciz? A couple weeks ago on hoodoo. I so wished I had recorded that demo. I would have forced tf2 to work it into a video file if I had to. Alas, I must wait until next time.
Wouldn't be me. On the odd occasion I play soldier, I've never managed to break out the buff banner effectively.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Hazaro said:
How to be a good medic:

1) Treat everyone as expendable point getters for you, check constantly behind you
2) Run away and hide behind stuff if there is a lot of spam, check constantly behind you
5) Tell your team when to push or follow an uber, be the crutch that forces the flow forward (While still following 1, 2, and 3)
:lol Pretty much. It's also a lot of players who don't know what to do WITH and uber. Yeah...don't stand there! Go kill something! >:/ Additionally, if the uber is about to run out, RUN WITH ME! Don't keep running forward and get stuck behind enemy lines.

for 3, a lot of scrubs tell you to go heal them. They can go fuck themselves.

for 4, it depends...I still say pop than drop.

for 5, I said it before, most people don't bother pushing and expect the uber to do everything BEFORE rushing in.

Hey, Jason! "Oh mah gawd! Whar dat sentrah cum frum?!" And why you no come to GAF server!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

Yasae

Banned
Hazaro said:
How to be a good medic:

6) Scouts die insanely easily in hallways because you just took away their one advantage - maneuverability. If they're not close and you've got the shot, take it.
7) You might try the blutsauger up close on a heavy/soldier/etc because the hit registers aren't nearly as loud as the ubersaw.
8) Disregard people who whine about not hitting an uber at the right time. They very, very, very rarely know your circumstances.
9) Overheal plenty.
10) Overheal and stay on snipers if they're in a duel with another point-cli... Er, another sniper.
11) No, they probably didn't get that headshot if it was a huntsman. Chin up sonny boy.
12) Don't play with auto-heal on. Not quick enough for spot heals.
13) Heal ALL classes, though only in terms of priority. This goes directly in line with 9.
14) I greatly prefer heavies for crits if there is no height advantage. Demos (and to some extent soldiers) have more raw power, but holy shit they get killed easy if the bad guys catch on. The pros jump to avoid blast radii - it's an old cheap trick. It's also rarely enough to keep them alive.
15) Switch often between the kritzkrieg and medigun. Basically if there's going to be sentries, uber. Everything else... Kritzkrieg.

Javaman said:
I tried to do that last night on turbine but failed miserably. I kept accidentally picking up the intel before sapping the sentries. Not good.
Aaaah. I now see the the genius of that far back corner placement for the sentry. I think I'll adopt that one.

Fucking spies.

Javaman

Is anyone interested in doing an informal tournament? I think I would be kind of fun to get some groups together to duke it out on the weekend. The Killary vs Robama thing never went full down for some reason (server issues?)

I'm thinking either 8 or 10 man teams. 8 would be easier to fill but 10 might lead to more intense matches. I figure the other 4 slots could be filled by spectators who record demos.

If anyone is interested post your Steam name, preferred class/s, and available times. I'll keep the list updated.

Javaman | Eng/Medic | Weekdays after 10PM, Weekend afternoon+
sw33tclyde | Soldier/Pyro | anytime
Twig | Cranky ass | anytime
Evilmario | Medic / Heavy | 7pm EST most weekdays and weekends
Toxic Punch | Soldier | anytime
fallengorn | Soldier | any night past 8pm, with (day or two) heads up
Blizzard | heavy/pyro | weekend, but not late Saturday night
Trouble | Soldier/Heavy | Weekdays after 7PM, Most weekend afternoons
ReRixo | Any class except pyro, sniper, and engineer | weekends

I'll put together a google spreadsheet if the turnout looks good.
As far as picking teams, we'll just do it randomly.

I'm down, though I don't know the maps very well at all. I have pretty decent aim though.

I can play medic/hvy as well, whatever's needed.

Proven

Sciz said:
Wouldn't be me. On the odd occasion I play soldier, I've never managed to break out the buff banner effectively.

No, I was playing Soldier, the other guy was off classing as Medic. But it was probably yasae now that I think about it more. We performed on Pipeline and Hoodoo, although only really shined on Hoodoo.

And unfortunately I will be leaving the state and my precious (family) computer for three different trips over the next three weeks. No TF2 for a while... I'll see you guys again some time in July.

Javaman

Proven said:
No, I was playing Soldier, the other guy was off classing as Medic. But it was probably yasae now that I think about it more. We performed on Pipeline and Hoodoo, although only really shined on Hoodoo.

And unfortunately I will be leaving the state and my precious (family) computer for three different trips over the next three weeks. No TF2 for a while... I'll see you guys again some time in July.

By far my favorite kritz spot is the second map of pipeline where you go into the tunnel. You can take out most of the team sometimes.

The tourny will have to be this weekend (although the 19th is probably too short of a notice) or the 3rd of July.

Twig

Banned
Javaman said:
Twig, it's time to relieve the glory
gory
days. I can "randomly" make sure you and Kuro are on opposing teams.
I'm still on hiatus until the engy update! Or if they do a different update before then. Next big update!

I guess though you can sign me up for this little tournament. I'll be whatever class. Can't promise I'll be good, though, since I'll be out of practice. :D

Speaking of tourneys, what ever happened to that Euro tourney that was gonna give out medals? Anyone remember that? O:

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Javaman said:
Is anyone interested in doing an informal tournament? I think I would be kind of fun to get some groups together to duke it out on the weekend. The Killary vs Robama thing never went full down for some reason (server issues?)

I'm thinking either 8 or 10 man teams. 8 would be easier to fill but 10 might lead to more intense matches. I figure the other 4 slots could be filled by spectators who record demos.

If anyone is interested post your Steam name, preferred class/s, and available times. I'll keep the list updated.

I'll put together a google spreadsheet if the turnout looks good.
As far as picking teams, we'll just do it randomly.

Are there any class caps? 9v9, one of each class is always fun.

I'll probably be able to play. I'm available after 7pm EST most weekdays and weekends are open.. but I have to know in advance. Any class works for me, since I play everything, but Scout. Medic / Heavy are definitely my preferable classes, but I can (and do) switch on the fly.

Javaman

EvilMario said:
Are there any class caps? 9v9, one of each class is always fun.

I'll probably be able to play. I'm available after 7pm EST most weekdays and weekends are open.. but I have to know in advance. Any class works for me, since I play everything, but Scout. Medic / Heavy are definitely my preferable classes, but I can (and do) switch on the fly.

Single classes might be fun and would prevent game breaking rushes like all medic/heavy but since this is informal I'm going to leave it up to the teams to do whatever. Maybe I'll set it to have a 3 class limit.

Blizzard

Banned
Blizzard/AgentElrond/whatever, heavy (or pyro though I'm not good besides spychecking, or medic if I -have- to). I can be available whenever this weekend, but not late Saturday night and I dunno about Sunday.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Another decent tactic for Medics is to constantly make erratic movements, especially during a lull.

Don't be afraid of using the Kritzkrieg and take note of the scoresheets when you want to find a good person to use it on. Don't use a Kritz on a Chargin' Demo unless you know for certain that their tube skills are second to none.

Still need to surpass my 10 Uber / 42 points record but I don't play as seriously on Medic these days.

Javaman

That's enough for one team so far! Keep 'em coming guys. I'd love to get 2 or 3 more teams together. Like I said, random players on the teams would work best to prevent stacking.

(EST time zone!)
Evilmario | Medic / Heavy | 7pm EST most weekdays and weekends
Toxic Punch | Soldier | anytime
fallengorn | Soldier | any night past 8pm, with (day or two) heads up
Blizzard | heavy/pyro | weekend, but not late Saturday night
Trouble | Soldier/Heavy | Weekdays after 10PM, Most weekend afternoons
ReRixo | Any class except pyro, sniper, and engineer | weekends
Boonoo | Scout/Soldier | Anytime
Schmattakopf | sniper/medic | ?

Blizzard, any way you can reconsider Saturday night? I'm thinking that'll be the best time.

I only got to play two hours of TF2 before my card failed, but now it's all fixed so I'll be on again. :D

And I'll join the tournament if an extra player is needed. Otherwise, I don't want to mess a team up with my noobyness. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom