• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Javaman

Schmattakopf said:
I only got to play two hours of TF2 before my card failed, but now it's all fixed so I'll be on again. :D

And I'll join the tournament if an extra player is needed. Otherwise, I don't want to mess a team up with my noobyness. :p

Everyone is welcome. As long as you know how to click to shoot and point at people, you're good to go!

Boonoo

Boonoo | Scout/Soldier | Anytime

I think a basic 9v9 highlander (one of each class) would work pretty well. A nice thing about highlander is they already have configs set up for it, so it wouldn't be a big deal to use them or just hop on tf2lobby and use that as a means of organizing. Since getting people together for stuff like this is generally like pulling teeth we could always bump down to informal 6v6 pick up matches--just have captains pick teams once we get enough on the server.

Single classes might be fun and would prevent game breaking rushes like all medic/heavy but since this is informal I'm going to leave it up to the teams to do whatever. Maybe I'll set it to have a 3 class limit.

If we do 9v9 without strict limits it might be best to set things to standard comp limits; these even a lot of things out even if you don't have the small player count. The class limits they have are pretty nice. For this you would just use one of the normal 6v6 configs as they don't restrict total player count.

Class Limits
Classes are limited as follows:
2 Scouts or fewer at any given time
2 Soldiers or fewer at any given time
2 Pyros or fewer at any given time
1 Demoman or fewer at any given time
2 Heavies or fewer at any given time
1 Medic or fewer at any given time
2 Snipers or fewer at any given time
2 Spies or fewer at any given time

Here are some of the other basic things laid out in comp configs. The no crits, even damage and weapon spreads are real nice. All of this is from tf2wiki

Criticals
Random crits are disabled.
All crits that aren't random still function except for cases when critical hit status is irrelevant (for example, backstabs do not crit, but still deal 200% of the target's current hit points anyways).

Damage Spread
Damage spread is disabled.
This means that damage randomization is removed, but damage ramp-up and falloff based on distance still occurs.

Weapon Spread
Fixed weapon spread is enabled.
This means that pellet-style weapons (shotgun, scattergun, FAN) fire pellets in a nonrandom pattern. The pattern is composed of 9 hitscan paths spaced like a 3x3 grid, with one extra pellet going down the center (or, for the FAN, two extra going down the center and one extra going down the middle-right path).

Stopwatch
Attack-defend maps use stopwatch.
This means that if both teams capture the same number of points when it's their turn to go offense, the team that did so faster wins that round.

Timed CTF
CTF matches are played to a specific time limit (as opposed to score goal, though there may be a mercy rule).
This means that a given half of a match will continue playing until the timer runs out. Most leagues tally points from all halves into final scores (assuming there is more than one half) to determine the winner. Some leagues enact mercy rules, which end the game early if one team gets an insurmountable point lead over the other.

Teamtalk
Teamtalk, if specified at all, is enabled.
This means that team members can use in-game voice and text chat with each other even while dead (though most teams use external voice programs like Mumble regardless). Unfair ghosting is prevented by only allowing dead players to spectate allies, with third-person and free-roam spectating disabled.

Customization
All game models, textures, and particles are forced to TF2 defaults via sv_pure 2.
The wait command may or may not be disabled. Scripts otherwise function normally and are permitted, so long as they're not exploitative.
Custom HUDs are allowed in full

Javaman

Boonoo said:
Boonoo | Scout/Soldier | Anytime

I think a basic 9v9 highlander (one of each class) would work pretty well. A nice thing about highlander is they already have configs set up for it, so it wouldn't be a big deal to use them or just hop on tf2lobby and use that as a means of organizing. Since getting people together for stuff like this is generally like pulling teeth we could always bump down to informal 6v6 pick up matches--just have captains pick teams once we get enough on the server.

If we do 9v9 without strict limits it might be best to set things to standard comp limits; these even a lot of things out even if you don't have the small player count. The class limits they have are pretty nice. For this you would just use one of the normal 6v6 configs as they don't restrict total player count.

Here are some of the other basic things laid out in comp configs. The no crits, even damage and weapon spreads are real nice. All of this is from tf2wiki

Lot's of good info man!
I think I'm still going to skip the class limitations since it's bound to stick someone with a class they don't like. It's worth considering down the road if we get more serious about the tourney.

I like the team captains choosing teams thing. It would be a lot easier to organize things by doing that live on the server based on who is online. The only problems is that there won't be much permanence to the teams which makes it almost like a normal night of playing. On the plus side, the people that don't get picked could do the demo recording along with some noclip fun.

Ultimatum said:
Is this all internal? Or do you intend to invite some clan onto the server?

I'm going internal to the GAFTF2 group. Anyone in the group is welcome to be in the tourney. I'll post the info into the group later.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Twig said:
ludwigDEUSEXD.gif

Javaman

1. Javaman | Eng/Medic | Weekdays after 10PM, Weekend afternoon+
2. sw33tclyde | Soldier/Pyro | anytime
3. Twig | ? | anytime
4. Evilmario | Medic / Heavy | 7pm EST most weekdays and weekends
5. Toxic Punch | Soldier | anytime
6. fallengorn | Soldier | any night past 8pm, with (day or two) heads up
7. Blizzard | heavy/pyro | weekend, but not late Saturday night
8. Trouble | Soldier/Heavy | Weekdays after 10PM, Most weekend afternoons
9. ReRixo | Any class except pyro, sniper, and engineer | weekends
10. Boonoo | Scout/Soldier | Anytime
11. Schmattakopf | ? | ?
12. Cheeto | ? | ?
13. Dog Chasing Cars | Heavy | After 5PM
14. Kuro | ? | ?
Remy | Scout, Pyro, Heavy | 9PM-midnight EST most nights

I'm leaning towards Saturday night at 10pm. I figure we'll try to get as many gaffers on as possible, and pick captains/teams then start the game up at 10:30.

Two rounds each (one attack/one defend for each team) of 2 or 3 CP or PL maps. Team with the highest number of captured points wins.

cp_dustbowl (6 pts)
pl_badwater (7 pts?)
cp_steel (5 pts)

Twig

Banned
Kuro Madoushi said:
Exactly!

I actually spend more time with Iadien, or Jason, or Lucksman Bastard on F7. Figured since he's a Gaffer, he'd want to pop on by some time.
this is relevant to my interests

Javaman

You kids and your silly squabbling. Don't make me turn this server around and go home!

Twig, Kuro, and Dog, team captains CONFIRMED

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Javaman said:
You kids and your silly squabbling. Don't make me turn this server around and go home!

I'll call your bluff!!! >:/

I got pocket aces, boyo!

If i'm captain, then my assistant captains MUST be twiggy and dog! :lol

Ultimatum

Banned
So looks like we can have a good 7v7? Pretty good number, and still time for more people to join in. Although there's three captain's, so are we going to have three teams, and rotate who plays? How will you get these specific people on? Reserved slots? Or else random people are going to join the server lol.

Can't wait, tomorrow is my last exam :D

although 9pm would be better :p (Starting tournament at 9:30)

Javaman

Ultimatum said:
So looks like we can have a good 7v7? Pretty good number, and still time for more people to join in. Although there's three captain's, so are we going to have three teams, and rotate who plays? How will you get these specific people on? Reserved slots? Or else random people are going to join the server lol.

Can't wait, tomorrow is my last exam :D

although 9pm would be better :p (Starting tournament at 9:30)

Server password. 2 teams maybe all we can handle at first. It would suck having the 3rd team wait and wait till the rounds are done unless we schedule 2 different days.

Boonoo

Here's a link to a no class limit comp config that you can throw on. For the maps you are looking at doing Stopwatch would probably work best since they're all 1 sided a/d. I think the config takes care of everything but even spread, you have to stick that on yourself. It handles round starts and score keeping and whatnot.

Stopwatch
Attack-defend maps use stopwatch.
This means that if both teams capture the same number of points when it's their turn to go offense, the team that did so faster wins that round.

Twig

Banned
Javaman said:

Twig, Kuro, and Dog, team captains CONFIRMED
Cool, I pick TF2 bots for all my team members.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Kuro Madoushi said:
Exactly!

I actually spend more time with Iadien, or Jason, or Lucksman Bastard on F7. Figured since he's a Gaffer, he'd want to pop on by some time.

I love TF2 and all, but playing by myself isn't that fun... the server is almost always empty when I play.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Javaman said:
Server password. 2 teams maybe all we can handle at first. It would suck having the 3rd team wait and wait till the rounds are done unless we schedule 2 different days.

What's this THIRD team you speak of?!!?! >:/

Blizzard

Banned
The problem with team captains is that nabs will almost always end up on vert's team, and neither team will pick me because everyone hates me. :'(

Javaman said:
Blizzard, any way you can reconsider Saturday night? I'm thinking that'll be the best time.
Absolutely not past like 9 p.m. I am off to pick someone up from the airport after that.

Uncle AJ

I'm in but won't be back at my PC until this Sunday, but from then on it's on like Donkey Kong.

MoTheHawk | Any class (but not Engy or Heavy, preferrably) | Noon CST onward

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Blizzard said:
The problem with team captains is that nabs will almost always end up on vert's team, and neither team will pick me because everyone hates me. :'(

Absolutely not past like 9 p.m. I am off to pick someone up from the airport after that.

why you talk like nab and zero is going to roll us! that sounds like a challenge!!! >:/

Fine!

Me = medic
boonoo = scout
artistudude = spy
java = engie
sciz = heavy
commisar = sniper
fallengorn = solly
Iadien = demo
ReRix0 = pyro

Ok! we're going up against you nab and zero!!!!!!!

rar

Kuro Madoushi said:
why you talk like nab and zero is going to roll us! that sounds like a challenge!!! >:/

Fine!

Me = medic
boonoo = scout
artistudude = spy
java = engie
sciz = heavy
commisar = sniper
fallengorn = solly
Iadien = demo
ReRix0 = pyro

needs a better medic

Blizzard

Banned
Kuro Madoushi said:
I don't know what you mean. Vert and nabs only played a couple of times on the server recently. I basically never get to play with them because they have a tight group and told me that none of them like me basically. I think vert also still has the weird thing where he mutes me (or maybe mutes everyone on the server) in TF2. Nabs didn't even answer when I asked him if that was the case -- I'd kinda like to know so if I'm a medic yelling at vert that I'm trying to heal him, I know to just talk to other people instead. I think I kinda gave up on that. :lol

He may have me ignored on GAF too, I dunno. It's kinda crazy with that group.

At any rate, it was just a joke because they were the only people I'd played with who would pick captains, and things would sometimes end up unbalanced.
clearly the losing team would only lose because I was on it, etc. etc. ;p

Javaman

1. Javaman | Eng/Medic | Weekdays after 10PM, Weekend afternoon+
2. sw33tclyde | Soldier/Pyro | anytime
3. Twig | ? | anytime
4. Evilmario | Medic / Heavy | 7pm EST most weekdays and weekends
5. Toxic Punch | Soldier | anytime
6. fallengorn | Soldier | any night past 8pm, with (day or two) heads up
7. Blizzard | heavy/pyro | weekend, but not late Saturday night
8. Trouble | Soldier/Heavy | Weekdays after 10PM, Most weekend afternoons
9. ReRixo | Any class except pyro, sniper, and engineer | weekends
10. Boonoo | Scout/Soldier | Anytime
11. Schmattakopf | ? | ?
12. Cheeto | ? | ?
13. Dog Chasing Cars | Heavy | After 5PM
14. Kuro | ? | ?
15. Remy | Scout, Pyro, Heavy | 9PM-midnight EST most nights
16. MoTheHawk | Any class (but not Engy or Heavy, preferrably) | Noon CST onward
17. Squash@#$@# | ? | Weeknights

Hey Squash, would 8pm work on saturday? If so then we can add both you and Blizzard

Yasae

Banned
Blizzard said:
I don't know what you mean. Vert and nabs only played a couple of times on the server recently. I basically never get to play with them because they have a tight group and told me that none of them like me basically. I think vert also still has the weird thing where he mutes me (or maybe mutes everyone on the server) in TF2. Nabs didn't even answer when I asked him if that was the case -- I'd kinda like to know so if I'm a medic yelling at vert that I'm trying to heal him, I know to just talk to other people instead. I think I kinda gave up on that. :lol
These guys sound like real sons a bitches. Oh well.

I won't be in the tournament.

Sciz

Kuro Madoushi said:

Fine!

sciz = heavy

I have nothing to do with this silliness.

Twig

Banned
n0b said:
What is this turning mints I call twig.
me too i call n0b fallout and notsol337

U:

Blizzard said:
and blizzard i pick blizzard

if he can play anyway

Twig

Banned
Iadien said:
Vert seems as though he's a mature young fellow.
young is right he's probably about 10 and he steals his mom's credit card to pay for a mumble server

he makes a good sparring partner though in flame wars let me tell you

also... i SHOULD be able to make it saturday at 8pm est, but something might come up

that is i might not be back at my apartment - i had planned to be regardless, but since i don't have a car, i have to rely on my parents to get me there and sometimes they are...

let's just say i didn't teach myself how to procrastinate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom