• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Dot50Cal said:
You see more in your peripheral vision, 90 is what Counter-Strike Source uses now, its what all HL1 engine games used and is the standard. Its only recently that games (mostly console ports using the UE3 engine) started locking it at 75. Some even went as far as to keep the FOV (Field of View) at 75 even when you are running in widescreen, which is a HORRIBLE mistake.
HL1 and HL2 both used 75, which is why I couldn't play the game without getting queasy.

I've been playing demoman for a couple of hours and I'm still enjoying his company. I just won't get ridiculous kill records now. :D

edit: 75 FOV for HL2 on airboat = very nauseating.

Victrix

*beard*
Love the tweaks. Pyro is as dangerous as he should be, and Demo is back where he belongs.

He's still useful on O, but I'm more inclined to take a Soldier.

Also, packed Demos on defense with the way they were before was seriously fucking irritating, glad they changed that, both for O and D purposes.

Am I imagining things, or did Soldiers get slightly faster rockets, and Spies have a more easily seen 'bump' decloak?

Coop

Victrix said:
Also, packed Demos on defense with the way they were before was seriously fucking irritating, glad they changed that, both for O and D purposes.

No kidding, I forgot the name of the map but it was damn near impossible to get out of the bunker if the other team had more than 5 demos spamming.

ok... I just shot a scout in the back of the head with my snipe zoomed in. It left blood, then i shot him more with AR. He kills me, and based on his health it would seem only my AR damage registered. Blood spat was still on back of head as he ran away

saelz8

NVIDIA ForceWare 163 XP Drivers Released

WHQL driver for GeForce FX, 6, 7, and 8 series GPUs.
Improved compatibility and performance for NVIDIA SLI™ technology on Microsoft® DirectX® 9.0c and OpenGL® 2.1 applications.
Improved compatibility for game titles: BioShock, Crysis, Enemy Territory: Quake Wars, Hellgate: London, Team Fortress 2, and World in Conflict.
Added PureVideo™ HD decode acceleration for GeForce 8600, 8500 and 8400 series GPUs.
Numerous game and application compatibility fixes. Please read the release notes for more information on product support, features, driver fixes and known compatibility issues.

Download

Remember do a driver clean after you uninstall your drivers. (Uninstall Nvidia drivers through Add/Remove Programs, then restart and boot into safe mode by pressing F8 on startup. Start Driver Cleaner - Scroll down to where it says Nvidia - Clean. Do a double clean to be sure. Log back into Windows, and then install the newest drivers. Restart again. Success.)

Barakov

Quellex said:
NVIDIA ForceWare 163 XP Drivers Released

WHQL driver for GeForce FX, 6, 7, and 8 series GPUs.
Improved compatibility and performance for NVIDIA SLI™ technology on Microsoft® DirectX® 9.0c and OpenGL® 2.1 applications.
Improved compatibility for game titles: BioShock, Crysis, Enemy Territory: Quake Wars, Hellgate: London, Team Fortress 2, and World in Conflict.
Added PureVideo™ HD decode acceleration for GeForce 8600, 8500 and 8400 series GPUs.
Numerous game and application compatibility fixes. Please read the release notes for more information on product support, features, driver fixes and known compatibility issues.

Download

Remember do a driver clean after you uninstall your drivers. (Uninstall Nvidia drivers through Add/Remove Programs, then restart and boot into safe mode by pressing F8 on startup. Start Driver Cleaner - Scroll down to where it says Nvidia - Clean. Do a double clean to be sure. Log back into Windows, and then install the newest drivers. Restart again. Success.)

Crap. Just installed the 162.18. Oh well.

Icy

Banned
TF2 crashed and locked up so much tonight. Corrupted my damned windows instalation. Made a quick backup of important stuff in Safe mode, and did a fresh format and install. Reinstalling everything now.. meh.

Icy

Banned
Cryect said:
Icy, Dustbowl is bugging out and having a 6 minute setup time after the first round.

This is not server controlled, but from the map it self. I'll have the server reupdate and download the map.

Joe Molotov

Noticed some weird glitches after the latest update. Pyro's flamethrower doesn't seem to work properly against disguised spies. I flamed a guy that I thought was a spy, but at first nothing happened, then he caught on fire but still showed up as a teammate. I kept hitting him with fire, and finally after about 5 seconds, he dropped his disguise. I guess it could have been lag, but it happened twice, and I didn't seem to be lagging that badly.

Also, corpses fall through the level sometimes.

fall_through_level.jpg

Corpses have been falling through the level on some servers since the beta first came out. Also, I have not had the same problem as you when lighting disguised spies on fire.

Dot50Cal

Banned
SapientWolf said:
HL1 and HL2 both used 75, which is why I couldn't play the game without getting queasy.

HL2 singleplayer uses 75, I never said it didn't (you can change it btw). Almost all the Source engine multiplayer's use 90 by default. CSS was patched with it shortly after its release, just like TF2 was now. HL1 engine games use 90. Type "FOV" in your console in any HL1 engine game, its 90 by default.

Did a clean reinstall yesterday, pc needed it. Got hold of a 8pin power lead so I can overclock my hd2900xt once I put my 3rd party heatsink on it. Should be fun.

I'm really looking forward to playing pyro some more. He's my most played class but I couldn't get anywhere near the scores I was getting with soldier and demoman.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Spent some actual time with the new Pyro, and I love it. The word hadn't gotten out to the server I was playing on apparently since I had a lot of people who tried to stand their ground against me... and I quickly rose to the top score of my team with a 2:1 kd ratio, sometimes getting 4-5 people in one go.

Still really easy to die in an open field, but that's how it should be. What's different is that now I actually have the advantage in situations I should. :D

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Yep. I would've found it pretty much impossible to do this before:

pyropyropyro.jpg

But now I get to laugh maniacally as I torch crowds and have them flee in terror. A shotgun blast to the back of a torched runner is so satisfying.

Cmagus

Anyone having problems getting servers? I got into like 3 games last night and they all crashed but for the last few hours I haven't been getting any server being found except for once or twice and even then I can't get in because it says not responding.

Jenga

Banned
Now all they need to do is reduce Sentry knockback to something decent and everything is well! And I'm so fucking glad they nerfed the grenade launcher. For most classes that would knock your health to near dying/or just out-right kill you.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Yea, Sentry knockback is the only issue left that I have. I also hope we see some custom maps with more places to rocket/bomb jump up to.

"Now all they need to do is reduce Sentry knockback to something decent and everything is well! And I'm so fucking glad they nerfed the grenade launcher. For most classes that would knock your health to near dying/or just out-right kill you."

They didn't nerf the damage, so that's still going to happen. What did happen is force demoman combat to a very small mid-range window of viability. The splash damage and radius are both fairly insignificant and that's if you're dumb enough to sit next to a big bright red/blue pulsating cylinder long enough for it to detonate. Furthermore, with the small clip and now small effective range, once you have to reload, an enemy could very comfortably close in (if they didn't while dodging your shots, not *too* much of a problem either). And if some people thought demoman's indirect combat capabilities weren't particularly good before considering they're the only indirect combat class in the game, well they're definitely in for a treat now.

On defense, the demoman is stuck camping stickybombs which aren't too much of a problem, since you just need to kill the demoman which doesn't have much in the way of defending himself, especially close range. This wasn't an issue before because the demoman had mid-long range viability coupled with indirect combat, having zero close-range short of ze bottle was an acceptable trade off.

"Question. If the bottles breaks whenever you strike someone, is that extra damage?"

I actually have no clue. Will get around to testing that some day. I always thought it was just for humorous kicks.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
It's more based on damage given to the bottle than anything else. You can smash it against a wall then go after people with a jagged edge.

Icy

Banned
Server will be doing a reboot in the next few hours. I am doing a beta test for HLStatsX with our server. We'll have our own HLStatsX site and other things. More to come. :D

Icy

Banned
Joe Molotov said:
Noticed some weird glitches after the latest update. Pyro's flamethrower doesn't seem to work properly against disguised spies. I flamed a guy that I thought was a spy, but at first nothing happened, then he caught on fire but still showed up as a teammate. I kept hitting him with fire, and finally after about 5 seconds, he dropped his disguise. I guess it could have been lag, but it happened twice, and I didn't seem to be lagging that badly.

Also, corpses fall through the level sometimes.

fall_through_level.jpg

that started about 2 patches ago.. shit happens. At least it doens't happen during game play... ya know.. thats an early wow bug from back in the day..

1st.) Server issues (wow had and still has them)
2nd.) Balancing Issues (wow on going)
3rd) Character falls below map (Yep happened in wow and does happen now and then)
4th.) VAC Mis banning TF2 people (Yep happens in wow.. fucking warden)
5th.) Various character animations/emotes so to speak (Yeah in wow too)

So yes TF2 == the new wow

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Man, the demo-nerf is bullshit.

Stickies are where the balance problems were, not the primary weapon which is kinda useless now in open areas, especially against faster classes.

Right now i'm feeling the sting so playing is just pissing me off more than it should, still, I get the feeling i'll never enjoy the game as much as I did.

crybitter etc.

Anyone else think they buffed up the pyro way too much? Increasing flame distance is ok, increasing damage is also alright, increasing both damage and range is insane. I just had pyro touch me with the end tip of his flame right before dying, and as a consequence my health dropped to 35 just from the burn effect.

The Stealth Fox

Teknopathetic said:
"I'm glad demoman is being relegated to pure defense now. That's the way it should be.

Offensive demos were too annoying. Yes, I'm looking at you Tre."

Demoman hasn't been relegated to pure defense now. Do you even know what the nerf is?

Bitter, bitter tears. Yes I know what the nerf is, and I was speaking prematurely (before I played any games with him). But you know my demoman hate.

I don't think the pyro was buffed too much. Even as a demoman (post patch) I don't think WOW THAT'S REAL FAIR. I do think that with the new buffed damage/range any thoughts of any form of healing NOT negating burn effect have gone out of the window. Fair enough, I think.

"I don't really have a problem with the demo nerf. Demos were intended to be a primarily defensive class and now they are."

No they weren't. "versatile combat class capable of offense and defense." Except now they don't do either particularly decent.

Zanboo

Puts the M in Member
Prime crotch said:
Wow post-patch everyone's using Pyros. It's insane I was at Dustbowl and had like 5 of them on the other team.

I think a lot of people are trying it out. Dunno if they'll stick with it.

Icy

Banned
Server stats is now online.

http://neogaf.hlstatsx.com/

You can type "rank" into the chat to see your server rank.
You accumulate points for kills, machines built, machines sapped, and areas conquered/intelligence grabbed.

You will lose points when you get kill or suicide. :lol

Interestingly enough, I did 5,089 damage with the demoman post-patch last night with one life. I really don't get why I'm doing better with demoman now. :lol

I also had a round on granary where I was MVP with 40 points while the next highest person had only 22 points.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Has anything changed to the NeoGAF server, pinging like 300 to it tonight, instead of around 150.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom