• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icy

Banned
Blue Geezer said:
got shown how to get an ubercharge very quickly so you can have it straight away once the timer ticks down before you fight. fun!

hehe.

I"m working on HLStatsS right now for the server. Medics and other people will get points for Kill Assists. Medics are going to get points for healing as well.

I"m also changing some of the values gotten depending on the weapon used for getting the kills.

Doytch

Icy said:
hehe.

I"m working on HLStatsS right now for the server. Medics and other people will get points for Kill Assists. Medics are going to get points for healing as well.

I"m also changing some of the values gotten depending on the weapon used for getting the kills.

Damn. Server tools and customization has changed a lot since the BF42 days :lol That was the last time I admin'd a server.

Icy

Banned
Doytch said:
Damn. Server tools and customization has changed a lot since the BF42 days :lol That was the last time I admin'd a server.

Its a server logging/addon. Everything that happens in game gets put into a log and sent into a seperate web based program that parses the data for data collection. There's a whole ranking system involved with it at..

http://neogaf.hlstatsx.com

Icy

Banned
Hitokage this is aimed for you. AUTO Team Balance based on skill from the ranks will be implemented once the TF2 SDK is out. Its different from CS: Source, thus no one knows how to get it to do it yet.

Daigoro

Quellex said:
NVIDIA ForceWare 163 XP Drivers Released

WHQL driver for GeForce FX, 6, 7, and 8 series GPUs.
Improved compatibility and performance for NVIDIA SLI™ technology on Microsoft® DirectX® 9.0c and OpenGL® 2.1 applications.
Improved compatibility for game titles: BioShock, Crysis, Enemy Territory: Quake Wars, Hellgate: London, Team Fortress 2, and World in Conflict.
Added PureVideo™ HD decode acceleration for GeForce 8600, 8500 and 8400 series GPUs.
Numerous game and application compatibility fixes. Please read the release notes for more information on product support, features, driver fixes and known compatibility issues.

Download

Remember do a driver clean after you uninstall your drivers. (Uninstall Nvidia drivers through Add/Remove Programs, then restart and boot into safe mode by pressing F8 on startup. Start Driver Cleaner - Scroll down to where it says Nvidia - Clean. Do a double clean to be sure. Log back into Windows, and then install the newest drivers. Restart again. Success.)

groovy, thanks for the heads up. im installing after i post.

i havent played in like 4-5 days now! wtf. im going to be around for a bunch of hours today/tonight though.

when will people be showing up tonight?

Dot50Cal

Banned
My team and I just had a really long match on 2fort, maybe 3 hours long? We were up 4 caps to 1, with one left and no time limit. The blue team just built so many SG's in their intelligence room that even when uber you were pushed back and couldnt take them out. There was no beating this defense, even with spies zapping them because they were right there healing it.

We really REALLY could have used grenades because that would have cleared the room out easy, so we just rested and went defense for about 20 minutes, and then went offense again since most of the blue team got bored waiting for people in the basement. We took that opportunity and capped the last one :D

am I the only one sick of Gravel Pit?

It's gotten to the point where I only look for 2fort. The new modes are cool and all, but I would like to see ctf remain the bread and butter. Sucks theres only 1 ctf map atm

Daigoro

Suburban Cowboy said:
am I the only one sick of Gravel Pit?

It's gotten to the point where I only look for 2fort. The new modes are cool and all, but I would like to see ctf remain the bread and butter. Sucks theres only 1 ctf map atm

id rather do gravel pit than 2fort. i find 2fort boring.

firex

yeah, 2fort sucks.

I like TC mode the most even though it's probably the most broken. I don't hate CTF or anything, but 2fort is just boring because matches take forever. it should have a time limit too.

Guys, i want to buy TF2 trough steam, but i don't have a credit card. So i try buying it trough paypal, but when i choose for paypal in steam, it asks a credit card again. Is it possible to buy it without a credit card, or do i have to wait till 10 October ?

OatmealMu

shaft said:
Me too, but when i try buying it trough paypal via steam, it still asks for a credit card..

edit: nevermind, i know the problem.

What brand is the debit card? Visa, Mastercard?

Edit: You bastards need to stop editing your posts while I'm typing!

woeds

Fun stuff, those were some good games. It's bedtime here in EU land, 'til next time

sig_12.png

lexi

Banned
shaft said:
Me too, but when i try buying it trough paypal via steam, it still asks for a credit card..

edit: nevermind, i know the problem.

What did you do? I have my Paypal linked to a bank account and recently cancelled my credit cards -- now purchasing anything through paypal requires me to enter credit card details. :|

Icy

Banned
lockii said:
What did you do? I have my Paypal linked to a bank account and recently cancelled my credit cards -- now purchasing anything through paypal requires me to enter credit card details. :|

you can probably goto a local grocery store and buy one of those $50.00 prepaid visa or mastercards and link it onyour paypal account and spend it that way.

Does anyone have good tips for a n00b? I never even played TFC, but I think I could really get into TF2 once I get good enough to stay alive for more than thirty seconds. So far, I'm doing really poorly...

Evlar

Banned
Jonnyboy117 said:
Does anyone have good tips for a n00b? I never even played TFC, but I think I could really get into TF2 once I get good enough to stay alive for more than thirty seconds. So far, I'm doing really poorly...
Just play around with the different classes, you're bound to find at least one that suits you. Soldier is the vanilla-class, the most typical FPS style gameplay and maybe the best first choice if you're coming from other FPS. He's also a very good utility player, useful in a wide range of situations. Then try the other 'offense' classes (scout and pyro) and move on from there. The most difficult to play well are the spy (requires good planning, understanding of the maps, and command of a broader set of skills than the other classes) and the engineer (basic gameplay is pretty easy- build and defend your machines- but knowing where to put them and when, how to best defend them, and how and when to move them around requires a lot of knowledge of the maps and strategies).

No_Style

I stumbled upon the NeoGAF server tonight and I was entertained. Teknopathetic, you're a good pyro.

Nice server you got there, Icy. I'll be sure to visit.

378_random.png

Lhadatt

Oh crap. We have a server? Nice. I'll have to play there soon.

I'm running one, but it's more of a test thing and I haven't gotten any good matches going there yet. Look for FORTRESS MAXIMUS @ nerv.us. If you can get a game going, let me know how it runs.

firex

Finally I got in when the GAF server wasn't empty or full, and that was fun. we sucked on granary, but oh well. I didn't drop because it was 2fort though, my tf2 just decided to freeze.

The Sphinx said:
Just play around with the different classes, you're bound to find at least one that suits you. Soldier is the vanilla-class, the most typical FPS style gameplay and maybe the best first choice if you're coming from other FPS. He's also a very good utility player, useful in a wide range of situations. Then try the other 'offense' classes (scout and pyro) and move on from there. The most difficult to play well are the spy (requires good planning, understanding of the maps, and command of a broader set of skills than the other classes) and the engineer (basic gameplay is pretty easy- build and defend your machines- but knowing where to put them and when, how to best defend them, and how and when to move them around requires a lot of knowledge of the maps and strategies).

Thanks. I like the IDEA of the medic but haven't had much success with it yet. My other problem is really bad lag and a terrible framerate, which are making me look like an even worse player than I am. On the NeoGAF server, my medic was being outrun by a heavy. Is that due to lag, or is there a "run" command I'm not aware of?

Evlar

Banned
Jonnyboy117 said:
Thanks. I like the IDEA of the medic but haven't had much success with it yet. My other problem is really bad lag and a terrible framerate, which are making me look like an even worse player than I am. On the NeoGAF server, my medic was being outrun by a heavy. Is that due to lag, or is there a "run" command I'm not aware of?
That's lag, your medic should be able to keep up with a heavy.

JoeFu

Banned
I was sucking so hard today...

my sucky stats. Only reason i'm ranked kinda high is because i've been playing on the server every night.

I'm moving up! :D

:lol 130 kills by sentry gun.

Jonnyboy117 said:
I'd recommend you start with the spy, you spend most of the time watching things as a spy. The class is perfect for learning all the nooks and crannies, which will later help you in killing other spies, and you get to learn the map. Also the spy can still be useful even if you dont rack up the kills so long as you work on your timing/teamwork. The lag might make playing a
spy hard though.

Icy

Banned
Daily Awards are in.

Dominator Robotaholic (16 Dominates the most..)
Revenger Simon (6 Gets their revenge..)
Best Sentryguns PillowKnight (123 Impervious Machines.)
Best Sniper B||oodSire-AA- (56 Grey Matter For You.)
Fire Spitter Teknopathetic (97 PyroManiac with Kills.)
Gunman Robotaholic (158 Goes Postal with the MG.)
Knife Maniac Mostly Harmless (39 Don't trust this backstabber.)

Mostly Harmless was insane with his knifing. and Pillow's SGs are a bitch.

Icy

Banned
Some changes I made:

Deathmatch round has been up'd from 2 minutes to 5 minutes.
Map time from 30 to 45 minutes.

Also you won't lose points due to dying currently. You can only gain from kills, assists, defenses, flag/command point captures,etc. But no losses. :)

All like weapons give the same amount of pts for kills.

MG, Flamethrow, Spy Knife, Pipe, Rocket Launcher,etc are the same tier. and so on and so forth.

Hand to hand items give more points since its a more difficult to attain kill.

Nice games tonight. People get really annoyed by sniper kills don't they? somebody doing something important with an Engineer, for example, will forget about their duty and switch to Sniper just for a revenge kill. :lol

lexi

Banned
akachan ningen said:
Nice games tonight. People get really annoyed by sniper kills don't they? somebody doing something important with an Engineer, for example, will forget about their duty and switch to Sniper just for a revenge kill. :lol

Why sniper? Much more satisfying to switch to spy and give them the good 'ol knife in the back.

I noticed dustbowl is out..why is that? Ive asked this a bunch of times and no one's answered yet. The fatigue most people have experienced on 2fort is hitting me too, i'm starting to really hate that map as it usually devolves into people building lots of sentries. Even though that can be beat, its not really much fun as it all takes place in the same room all the friggin time.

Icy

Banned
There's a problem with the dustbowl map on some servers and bugs out and the server skips it. I'll try deleting it and repatching to see if it corrects.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I think the server just crashed :( . Maybe icy is doing his thing with it. Just as i was about to blowup some scout coming into the intelligence room, since i had sticky bombs on the roof :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom