• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forkball said:
I do have to say that Yukon is greatly improved. The middle area is less spammy and the expanded bridges are much better than the psuedo-pipe bridge that was there before.
Maybe in terms of gameplay (it is much easier to run down now), but aesthetically I think the pipe fit the map better. The bridge feels kind of out of place. I suppose I'll get used to it though...

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
_Bro said:
Enzo, were you just in a game of 2fort?
Nah bro, why? Imposter?

I had someone with a GAF tag uber me weeks ago, but I have no mic so I couldn't exchange high fives with them :(

Thnikkaman said:
It's not really the new maps (which have always been great) that are the problem, it's crap like the Eternal Reward and poisonous-jarate-sniper-rubbish.

Well it is the case when TheSeks is touting the 360 version of TF2 over the PC version. Launch TF2 is better than TF2 is now? Not a remotely defencible position by any logical argument one can make.

I think the updates stopped adding to the experience with the Engineer update, I think that all of the items from the Polycount/Mannconomy and Medieval updates are reaching, muddying the waters and not adding anything of merit. I really dislike how garish the game is now with all of the stupid novelty hats, ugly tints, stupid tags, visual and audio effects you can tie to items and bonus items you get from buying other games. Those are the rat turds you have to flick off to enjoy your sundae. They've definitely devalued the experience for me. Recently while playing CP_Gorge, one medic had these two sound affects tied to items/weapons he had equipped, this incessant laughing. It was incredibly annoying, but unlike some retarded screaming in a mic, I couldn't simply mute him, because it's in-game. I couldn't do anything about that dipshit, just avoid him, leave the server, find another. This is what they're adding to the game now? Not happy with that.

That said as ugly as TF2 can be at times, there's still one of the most amazing multiplayer first person shooters underneath the garish exterior.

Yeef

Jangaroo said:
I feel ya, I'm so bad at sniper now that it's not even funny... sob.
I've been using the Huntsman so much that I can't use the rifles for shit anymore. I also try to lead my shots with them, instinctively. Also, it feels weird to stand still for so long, especially if I've been playing scout all night.

cooljeanius said:
Here's a list of ones I can remember liking:
cp_blackmesa
cp_kakariko
ctf_convoy
koth_garbage day
pl_cashworks
pl_frontier
pl_minepit
pl_redship
plr_panic
Cashworks, Frontier, Panic and Minepit are known knowns. Those other maps, for me, were known unknows, but I checked them out this afternoon and here are my opinions!

cp_blackmesa - Too claustrophobic for my liking, which is weird since I play Pyro a lot.

cp_kakariko - Other than the Zelda theme it's not really a good map.

ctf_convoy - Clever idea. I don't really like the maps aesthetics, but it seems like it could be fun to play.

koth_garbage day - It feels way too open, even for a KOTH map. The fact that the point caps so fast should make things interesting though.

pl_redship - Not a fan of this map at all. Too many useless gimmicks, in my opinion (50% gravity when outdoors, having to shoot the cart at the start of the match before you can push it, etc.).

Despite my qualms with some of those maps I've added the following maps to the server (just have to wait for Remy to move them to the right directory):

* koth_spire_a3
* ctf_nightwatch_b2
* koth_brickyard_v3
* plr_2Fort_b6

cp_broma
cp_gullywash
cp_indulge
ctf_quarry_v2
pl_deadwood
cp_Blackmesa
cp_kakariko_a3
cp_redstone_b2
ctf_convoy_v2
koth_garbage_day
pl_cashworks_rc2
pl_frontier
pl_minepit
pl_redship_rc3

* - Made by GAF members.

Now, for now we're going to keep them out of rotation since there's so many of them. It'd suck to have a map vote where it's all custom maps that people might not want to play. I was thinking, instead, to do a map of the week (or some other length of time) event where we put the map in the rotation, play it a few times and then see what everyone thinks. We can permanently get rid of the ones no one likes and add the keep the good ones in the rotation. Does that sound good?

Yeef said:
* plr_2Fort_b6
This reminds me, I'd like to try the payload version of dustbowl and the checkpoint version of hydro sometime... I downloaded them but could never find a server that was playing them to actually try them out...

Yeef said:
Now, for now we're going to keep them out of rotation since there's so many of them. It'd suck to have a map vote where it's all custom maps that people might not want to play. I was thinking, instead, to do a map of the week (or some other length of time) event where we put the map in the rotation, play it a few times and then see what everyone thinks. We can permanently get rid of the ones no one likes and add the keep the good ones in the rotation. Does that sound good?
Could we have one big custom map night where we play all of them?

Yeef

cooljeanius said:
Could we have one big custom map night where we play all of them?
I don't know if we could. By which I mean, if people don't want to play that many custom maps and no one gets on the server because of it it'd sort of defeat the point. That's why I figure I might as well post and see what people prefer before doing anything.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Yeef said:
I don't know if we could. By which I mean, if people don't want to play that many custom maps and no one gets on the server because of it it'd sort of defeat the point. That's why I figure I might as well post and see what people prefer before doing anything.
Yeef, could you please send me the IP address for the new server? I haven't played with Gaf since before it and I got the group alert.

Oh snap, just had this hat drop tonight:

2vkcl78.jpg

Seems very rare from what TF2stats tells me but maybe that's because many people don't like it and craft it?

Opiate

Any suggestions for new players? Any chance of having a "beginner/newer player" celebration next weekend? I'm not sure if that's feasible.

_Bro

Banned
enzo_gt said:
Nah bro, why? Imposter?

I had someone with a GAF tag uber me weeks ago, but I have no mic so I couldn't exchange high fives with them :(
Yeah. He was really.. uh, frustrated once everybody switched classes and made his spy obsolete.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Opiate said:
Any suggestions for new players? Any chance of having a "beginner/newer player" celebration next weekend? I'm not sure if that's feasible.
For new players, I say just play. I would try and stick to a few classes while you try to learn (Pyro, Demo, Solder, and Medic are pretty good starting points), but just find a class you are comfortable with and play it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
_Bro said:
Yeah. He was really.. uh, frustrated once everybody switched classes and made his spy obsolete.
I am the only true Enzo on the interwebs. All others are imposters, and shame the name.

Opiate said:
Though I don't join the GAF server a lot, it has it's runs every night of the week, and is pretty darn fun. For a newcomer, it's important to learn the weapons, and relative health of each of the classes I'd think.

Newbies these two pages are your friends:
Weapons breakdown
Crafting - What to do with extra items.

Knowing the weapons lets you know what your up against. You may be getting hit by a Soldier for instance, and not know he's getting +15 health every time he hits you because he's using the Black Box.

Pay attention to the tips while maps are loading, they're not outdated or anything, and they're legitimately useful. Also, right click with sticky gun for Demo explodes your stickies that you placed with left click. And pyro's using the default flamethrower or the degreaser have an airblast that can push enemies or large projectiles back at the person who shot them. Use it with right click. Random thoughts, but yeah some of this stuff irked me when I was never told.

So the highlight of tonight's games for me had to be when I got an uber fishkill. Mostly because Scouts rarely get ubered.
As far as tips for newcomers, do the training and play all the classes in offline practice mode first.

Yeef

Thnikkaman said:
Yeef, could you please send me the IP address for the new server? I haven't played with Gaf since before it and I got the group alert.
174.143.208.222:27015

A lot of the old-timers have left for Bad Company 2. Maybe some day they'll realize how crazy that is.

Opiate said:
My advice for new players is to pick a class that interests you and stick with it for a little while. Just about any class other than engineer and spy are fine for a new player, but if either of those classes interest you I say go for it. Just do your thing and if something doesn't work think about why it didn't work. Generally, when I see someone do something that's probably not a good idea (like eating a sandvich in the middle of the battle) I'll point it out to them. Remember never be afraid to ask questions.

An event for beginners is a pretty good idea. The only problem is that the game only supports 24 players and I'd say at least half of those slots is generally filled by regulars. It'd be difficult to keep the regulars and other veterans from taking up most or all of the slots. If enough people are interested I'm sure we could make it work.

Honestly though, I'd recommend that new players just join the GAF TF2 Steam Group and hop on whenever there's a new announcement. Cavort and ask questions as you play and you should be fine.

One thing to remember is that TF2 is not deathmatch (unless you're playing arena, but no one does). If you're dying a lot don't get discouraged. TF2 is the sort of game where even good players die pretty frequently. Don't be afraid to sacrifice yourself if it helps the team. Taking out a medic or engineer nest is easily worth a life or two.

If, for some reason, you don't want to or aren't able to ask questions in game feel free to ask any in this thread.

cooljeanius said:
So the highlight of tonight's games for me had to be when I got an uber fishkill. Mostly because Scouts rarely get ubered.
As far as tips for newcomers, do the training and play all the classes in offline practice mode first.
Someone has to teach Heavies that Scouts won't stand for their tyranny!

kenta

Has no PEINS
Opiate said:
First thing I'd suggest to a new player is to go into the options and enable "Play a sound when you cause damage" (or whatever it's called)

For some reason that really helped me to enjoy the game as a newbie since I felt like even if I wasn't killing too many people, at least I knew I was hurting them

Also the sound effect makes me grin like an idiot when playing Pyro, it just fits so well

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Also turn on the little thing that shows how much damage you do, and I would also sugest in Advance Keyboard options to enable quick switch.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Yeef said:
174.143.208.222:27015

A lot of the old-timers have left for Bad Company 2. Maybe some day they'll realize how crazy that is.
Thanks very much for all the work you put into the server! I'll try and play again tonight. If I see you Opiate I will go Medic and follow you around for a bit...

Remy

Server has been updated with all the community map stuff Yeef has prepared. I will be sad to see degroot and 2fort out of the rotation, but it's for the best.

As someone who's played the game regularly in the past 2 weeks and still learning, the following things made the game much more enjoyable:

- Enabling the option for sound on hitting someone
- Enabling the option which shows the damage you did to someone
- Sticking to one class

I went with spy early on but also played a whole bunch of soldier and engineer. I found Soldier to be the easiest because the rocket launcher works at long and short range and doesn't have the limitations of classes like the Pyro's flamethrower which bothered me a bit when I was starting out.

All it really takes is one good game to get hooked really. I had one good game on Payload Goldrush where I got chainstabs with the Spy and I loved the game since.

Reknoc

Jumped on the GAF server last night (or actually it was more like this morning), it was more or less my first proper play and I had a lot of fun just jumping in.

Risible

Reknoc said:
Jumped on the GAF server last night (or actually it was more like this morning), it was more or less my first proper play and I had a lot of fun just jumping in.

TF2 in general is so chaotic that even a new player can have fun just spamming rockets. And unlike in, say, Black Ops your team mates don't mind that much because it's not like your deaths are giving the other team a huge advantage via killstreaks.

Sgt.Pepper said:
I suck ass with the Soldier so much. =(

I need to practice those damn rocket jumps, which map is good for this?

Pretty much any map with a lot of room to move is good. Even 2Fort's a good place, with several spots for practicing. Rocket jump up onto the bridge from the ground, up onto the battlements from the ground, horizontal Rocket Jump to and from the battlements and bridge, and my personal favorite, rocket jump up through the grate right at the entrance of the enemy base. A lot of times they forget about that room, and if no one comes out of spawn for that second you need to turn the corner, you can often stroll all the way down to the intelligence room before they even know you're there.

Also, Dustbowl's third map has two very important rocket jumps to learn: getting up into that little tunnel past point 1 (I.E. when not to crouch while rocket jumping), and jumping from the ravine floor up onto that ledge to the left of point 2 (getting the most out of a crouching rocket jump).

Strap on some Gunboats while you're practicing so you don't gib yourself as quickly, or craft/trade for a Rocket Jumper.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
jaundicejuice said:
Well it is the case when TheSeks is touting the 360 version of TF2 over the PC version. Launch TF2 is better than TF2 is now? Not a remotely defencible position by any logical argument one can make.

I think the updates stopped adding to the experience with the Engineer update, I think that all of the items from the Polycount/Mannconomy and Medieval updates are reaching, muddying the waters and not adding anything of merit. I really dislike how garish the game is now with all of the stupid novelty hats, ugly tints, stupid tags, visual and audio effects you can tie to items and bonus items you get from buying other games. Those are the rat turds you have to flick off to enjoy your sundae. They've definitely devalued the experience for me. Recently while playing CP_Gorge, one medic had these two sound affects tied to items/weapons he had equipped, this incessant laughing. It was incredibly annoying, but unlike some retarded screaming in a mic, I couldn't simply mute him, because it's in-game. I couldn't do anything about that dipshit, just avoid him, leave the server, find another. This is what they're adding to the game now? Not happy with that.

That said as ugly as TF2 can be at times, there's still one of the most amazing multiplayer first person shooters underneath the garish exterior.
I really wish Valve would update with some console commands to turn off extra sound effects, hat particle effects, and maybe specific hats in general for my personal display.

The_Technomancer said:
I really wish Valve would update with some console commands to turn off extra sound effects, hat particle effects, and maybe specific hats in general for my personal display.

I like this idea even though I'd never turn it off.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Also, I suggest you don't play offline, at all. Like any other FPS, unpredictability trumps those who play according to a fixed patter, and the bots are quite easy to figure out, as much o the time they take the same pathways, use the same tactics, etc.

From MNC Twitter...
Monday Night Combat releases on Steam this Monday. Buy before February 1st to get surprise crossover content with another game.

I have my money ready xP

I was going to buy MNC anyway, but a TF2 bonus would be awesome and push me to buy it before it hits 5 dollars like I was waiting for.

Apparently, there's going to be a new class in MNC that is a crossover character from another popular multiplayer shooting game. Hmm... what other popular multiplayer shooting game has a few other crossovers and is known to have pre-order bonuses from other games

koshunter said:
As someone who's played the game regularly in the past 2 weeks and still learning, the following things made the game much more enjoyable:

Along these lines, I also suggest enabling the option that lets you heal as medic without keeping the button held down, and also the option that puts an icon over players you're healing as medic.

enzo_gt said:
Also, I suggest you don't play offline, at all. Like any other FPS, unpredictability trumps those who play according to a fixed patter, and the bots are quite easy to figure out, as much o the time they take the same pathways, use the same tactics, etc.
I disagree. While practicing offline might not help you figure out how to play against other people, it can help you figure out what your class plays like and what the map layouts are without any fear of getting yelled at for getting lost. I found playing offline to be very helpful when I first started.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
cooljeanius said:
I disagree. While practicing offline might not help you figure out how to play against other people, it can help you figure out what your class plays like and what the map layouts are without any fear of getting yelled at for getting lost. I found playing offline to be very helpful when I first started.
Good point, perhaps the slower pace of combat would be optimal for new players.
balladofwindfishes said:
From MNC Twitter...

I have my money ready xD

I was going to buy MNC anyway, but a TF2 bonus would be awesome and push me to buy it before it hits 5 dollars like I was waiting for.

Apparently, there's going to be a new class in MNC that is a crossover character from another popular multiplayer shooting game. Hmm... what other popular multiplayer shooting game has a few other crossovers and is known to have pre-order bonuses from other games
Oh FFS :(

I was playing 2fort with Soldier for a while, I'm starting to understand more or less how to use him. I got some help from Blizzard, I almost didn't know who it was because he changed his name!

Blizzard

Banned
Sgt.Pepper said:
I was playing 2fort with Soldier for a while, I'm starting to understand more or less how to use him. I got some help from Blizzard, I almost didn't know who it was because he changed his name!
My help was useless because I was bad at medic and pyro! Some day I will try to help more!

It's really impressive how some Snipers can get headshots so fast even when they have a Scout just in front of them. They do it ridiculously quick.

BloodySinner said:
Finally crafted Ol' Snaggletooth. Such a troll set. I love it.

Isn't it? It doesn't last long before they remember, but in the meantime, they keep popping you in the head, over and over, and glare through their yellow-tinted vision as you stroll away with your 1 health to restock.

balladofwindfishes said:

Oh hey, I get to double-dip on another game I already bought on XBLA, this time for TF2 crap. I had a hard time buying Raskulls because I was worried "Superior Steam Version" was on the horizon like always.

And I've said it before, but TF2 is being saturated over Steam too much. I'll be happy if this turns out to be Chell or one of the co-op bots or something, even though that doesn't fit "shooting game" very well.

John

cooljeanius said:
definitely. i learned some really fundamental facets of playing the spy in offline mode after like 80 hours of playing him online.

rar

koshunter said:

- Sticking to one class

on the right track! other things to try:

(tf2 launch options)
-noforcemaccel -noforcemparms -noforcemspd

(console/config)
fov_desired 90
viewmodel_fov 70
m_rawinput 1
cl_hud_minmode 1
cl_autoreload 1
hud_medichealtargetmarker 1

also a custom crosshair (i use crosshair7) instead of the default ones can help too

Blizzard

Banned
Drkirby said:
I hope Monday Night Combat has a sale also, but this will, like you, most likely be what pushes me over the edge.

Assuming its a single character, my bet it is the Scout or Spy.
MNC has been on sale, 10% off, for quite a while. I'd say it's probably worth the $13.50 to support the developers since they seem to be actively trying to improve things and maybe listen to the community, but who knows!

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Oh God, TF2 items? MNC? Will I bite just because of hat potential?

:( Damnit, I hate me. MNC just seems to have an annoying announcer and voices from the vids I've seen, so it seems so wrong.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Wait, it won't be 13.50 on release right? It'll go back to $15?

Fuck, decisions, decisions. I really don't have the money to blow D:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom