• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

rar

This picture illustrates the problem with Team Fortress 2 very effectively

07vs10.jpg

It's well understood there are quite a few hats that are pretty terrible.

But a lot of them fit the style just fine and look great
Example
Example
Example

I don't think the style is really as ruined as people make it out to be. There aren't any style breaking weapons, and only a few hats are kind of bad looking

rar

balladofwindfishes said:

Example
Example
Example

I don't think the style is really as ruined as people make it out to be. There aren't any style breaking weapons, and only a few hats are kind of bad looking

I would get rid of all of these weapons:

Chargin' Targe, Eyelander, Scotsman's Skullcutter, Brass Beast, Crusader's Crossbow, Amputator, GRU

And probably some more as well

Proven

rar said:

Chargin' Targe, Eyelander, Scotsman's Skullcutter, Brass Beast, Crusader's Crossbow, Amputator, GRU

Why? Style as well?

There's nothing really out of style for the Amputator or Crossbow.

The Brass Beast is a vintage gatling gun, and the textures fit the style just fine. It's era appropriate, and painted properly.

The Demoman has a real identity problem. But, if you imagine Loch-N-Load, Scottish Resistance and Caber are his "real" weapons, and everything else is just fun gimmicky stuff, then he looks a lot better.

Just takes some imagination to justify Demoman's mountains of stuff :p

balladofwindfishes said:

Example
Example
Example

What? Apple earbuds, stupid Kanye West shades, parasite hat...

Proven

balladofwindfishes said:

The Brass Beast is a vintage gatling gun, and the textures fit the style just fine. It's era appropriate, and painted properly.

The Demoman has a real identity problem. But, if you imagine Loch-N-Load, Scottish Resistance and Caber are his "real" weapons, and everything else is just fun gimmicky stuff, then he looks a lot better.

I honestly don't find the sword and shield stuff that bad. He's Scottish, and already sends himself flying into battle with just his Sticky Launcher. I dunno, people complain so much about the game being so silly, but then can't help but laugh at Meet the Spy or the Holy Mackerel.

Proven said:
I honestly don't find the sword and shield stuff that bad. He's Scottish, and already sends himself flying into battle with just his Sticky Launcher. I dunno, people complain so much about the game being so silly, but then can't help but laugh at Meet the Spy or the Holy Mackerel.
They're not that bad, but it's some of the few weapons I can understand where people can see problems. Mostly the dried blood seems off on it.

Valve has a weird thing with dried blood. They have 3 different kinds, the kind on Ubersaw/Vita-Saw, the kind of Demoman's Original Sword Weapons, and the blood seen on the Nasty Weapons. The kind on the Demoman's weapons tends to be a little too realistic. I prefer the Nasty Weapons blood, since it actually fits the blood that splatters with gibs.

Yeef

rar said:

I'd probably get rid of the GRU, The Steel Fists and the Buffalo Steak Sandvich (or at least rebalance them). Mainly because they change a couple of fundamental design decisions in the game. Namely that Heavy's are slow and that you can kill absolutely anyone (other than an uber) with a fully charged headshot. There aren't really any other weapons (from a gameplay standpoint) that feel out of place to me. For nearly every class the vanilla load out is still the best.

I don't think Targe demos are bad by design, but rather, TF2's crappy handling of melee and lag compensation makes them extremely annoying. Nothing like getting your head chopped off from the other side of the room.

From a style standpoint there are plenty of hats I don't care for, but I don't think it's that big a deal. it'd be nice if there were a cvar that allowed you to disable all hats and/or all hats but the set hats. I probably wouldn't use the setting, it it'd be nice for those who don't like hats.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I get the Demo Pan meme, but not the Stout Shako for 2 Refined one.

I would make GRU drain health even faster then a Medic can heal, and a Head Shot should just do more damage to counter act the Fists of Steel.

Proven

Yeef said:
I'd probably get rid of the GRU, The Steel Fists and the Buffalo Steak Sandvich (or at least rebalance them). Mainly because they change a couple of fundamental design decisions in the game. Namely that Heavy's are slow and that you can kill absolutely anyone (other than an uber) with a fully charged headshot. There aren't really any other weapons (from a gameplay standpoint) that feel out of place to me. For nearly every class the vanilla load out is still the best.

I don't think Targe demos are bad by design, but rather, TF2's crappy handling of melee and lag compensation makes them extremely annoying. Nothing like getting your head chopped off from the other side of the room.

From a style standpoint there are plenty of hats I don't care for, but I don't think it's that big a deal. it'd be nice if there were a cvar that allowed you to disable all hats and/or all hats but the set hats. I probably wouldn't use the setting, it it'd be nice for those who don't like hats.

I can't be mad at the Heavy's new stuff, because it feels like his class is still evolving. Like with the Pyro becoming such a melee focused class with his ambush style of play. That, and I despise Snipers anyway. The GRU also fits in the sense that, if you want to be fast or get somewhere quick, you either have to have a low max health, or lose some health. And unlike the other classes, the Heavy has to give up almost all of his offensive power to do it. It still makes him a class of choices, when to move in, when to pull out, when to switch weapons, when to hold his ground.

As for the melee and lag compensation problem, I knew it was bad when I had a better time hitting people and being hit back when I played the 360 version of the game.

As for hats, I must concede that everyone probably has a hat at this point that they find too silly to see. Most of the Heavy hats annoy me, for example.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I really don't mind weapon design for any of them, and I'm so torn on hats. On the one hand, 2/3rds of hats are really good and cool. On the other hand some of the promo hats like Max's Severed Head and some of the regular ones like the judge wig for the Spy just bug the hell out of me.

Forkball

Yeah, many people have complained about how TF2 has lost it's unique visual style thanks to random hats. I can understand this since a lot of the hats are one shot promotional items or released to fit some theme (Halloween, Christmas, etc.). But I'd say most of the hats for every class suit the character's personality. I think the only two classes with truly random hats are Heavy and Demo. What's up with giving the Heavy hair in so many hats? The only ones that I think really fit him are the ushanka, the bandana, and kind of the Mongolian hat since Russia is near Mongolia. An umbrella and toque? Huh? And for some reason, they give Demo a lot of early American style hats, I'm not sure how that fits a Scottish Demoman but whatever. I think the real problem is people painting their hats ugly colors. A pink Gibus? Ewwwww.

And I switched back to my Homewrecker today after trying the Powerjack for a while. I was tired of exiting spawn to see the teles being sapped and there was nothing I could do about it.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I like having the rake since it helps with "Run around enemy spawn and distract several enemies for a half a minute"

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Still haven't gotten the rake or the powerjack, just waiting for them to drop. I usually go with the homewrecker by default just because if I'm in a position as Pyro to melee someone then chances are either I or they are already as good as dead.

Yeef

Proven said:
I can't be mad at the Heavy's new stuff, because it feels like his class is still evolving. Like with the Pyro becoming such a melee focused class with his ambush style of play. That, and I despise Snipers anyway. The GRU also fits in the sense that, if you want to be fast or get somewhere quick, you either have to have a low max health, or lose some health. And unlike the other classes, the Heavy has to give up almost all of his offensive power to do it. It still makes him a class of choices, when to move in, when to pull out, when to switch weapons, when to hold his ground.
Except he doesn't have to give up much offensive power or health at all. If he's got a Medic health isn't an issue and even if he doesn't, running near the front lines then tossing a sandwich puts him right back at full health, but twice as fast as he would've been. It's most obvious on 5cp maps where heavies can move between and capture points with ease, where before the speed increases their main role was to protect choke points and already captured points.

The_Technomancer said:
Still haven't gotten the rake or the powerjack, just waiting for them to drop. I usually go with the homewrecker by default just because if I'm in a position as Pyro to melee someone then chances are either I or they are already as good as dead.
I pretty much exclusively use the axstinguisher on offense. On defense I'll switch to the homewrecker if I notice that the other team has a lot of spies (or just one persistent spy). If I'm not using one of those I prefer the rake to the powerjack. Same damage and random crits plus extra med pack heals with the only downside being slower healing from medics, who never heal pyros anyway.

Proven

Yeef said:
Except he doesn't have to give up much offensive power or health at all. If he's got a Medic health isn't an issue and even if he doesn't, running near the front lines then tossing a sandwich puts him right back at full health, but twice as fast as he would've been. It's most obvious on 5cp maps where heavies can move between and capture points with ease, where before the speed increases their main role was to protect choke points and already captured points.
Mentioning a Medic is a moot point. Having one negates much of the effects of Rocket and Sticky Jumping as well. Having the Sandvich, however, is a good point. I still haven't decided how much I'm willing to defend it.

Yeef said:
I pretty much exclusively use the axstinguisher on offense. On defense I'll switch to the homewrecker if I notice that the other team has a lot of spies (or just one persistent spy). If I'm not using one of those I prefer the rake to the powerjack. Same damage and random crits plus extra med pack heals with the only downside being slower healing from medics, who never heal pyros anyway.
Hey! I heal Pyros all the time! And Uber them! Or get other Medics to Uber them! And if I meet a really good one I'll even Kritz him. I gave one half a Kritz just a little bit earlier.

Yeef

Drkirby said:
I would make GRU drain health even faster then a Medic can heal, and a Head Shot should just do more damage to counter act the Fists of Steel.
For the Fists of Steel, the changes I'd make would be to have crits ignore the damage reduction (but not minicrits) and to give slower weapon switching (opposite of the degreaser).

I'm not sure how to balance to GRU in such a way that wouldn't change the way their used drastically. Maybe have the health loss increase the longer you have them out then have a cooldown meter (no pun intended) that empties as long as their unequipped (kind of like the cloak meter, but the opposite direction).

Proven said:
Mentioning a Medic is a moot point. Having one negates much of the effects of Rocket and Sticky Jumping as well. Having the Sandvich, however, is a good point. I still haven't decided how much I'm willing to defend it.
Rocket and sticky jumping are both faster than medic movement and always have been. In order to stay healed a soldier or demo will need to slow down a bit so the medic can keep up. Also, most jump paths are simply inaccessible to medics. Taking an alternate path to keep heals. On top of that, lots of maps are designed to minimize the health loss from explosive jumps by having health packs either along the jump path or even on rooftops that can only be accessed by explosive jumps.

On the other hand, with the GRU the medic is still a bit faster than the heavy, so the heavy isn't really giving anything up in exchange to the movement bonus. Sure, the GRU does terrible damage as a melee weapon, but that's there to deter him from running around and just meleeing everything (which is weird, considering in the next patch they gave him the Buffalo Sandvich). There's virtually no reason for the heavy to switch to melee unless he's being silly. The minigun (even Natascha) does so much damage at close range and the difference between spin up time and the time to switch to melee is negligible.

Hey! I heal Pyros all the time! And Uber them! Or get other Medics to Uber them! And if I meet a really good one I'll even Kritz him. I gave one half a Kritz just a little bit earlier.
Bless you, sir! *_*

Blizzard

Banned
So many people wanting heavy nerfs. They nerfed Natascha what, 2-3 times? I seem to recall at least one GRU nerf already, and you already want to take away my remaining overpowered items. :(

Just leave poor heavy alone. The real problem is snipers. Being shot in the head is so annoying. If we could reduce max headshot damage to 175-200 or so that'd make it easier to survive. Or maybe make anyone wearing a hat cause headshot bullets to instantly reflect back at the sniper!

RocketDarkness said:
That's awesome, but this is better.
This is one of the best things I have heard in a while. Thanks for linking it.

rar

balladofwindfishes said:

I just think the designs for both are awful. Plus I think the bow should be more like a railgun, and the amputator is just a stupid idea

balladofwindfishes said:

It sticks out and is ugly imo, and there are already too many miniguns

balladofwindfishes said:

Valve should stop being pansies and roll the charging swordsman into a 10th class instead of destroying the demo's identity and making the game more confusing

I'm overly obsessive about stuff clearly

Demopan cracks me up

I think it's the smug look on his face or the really awkward pose he's in. Every time I see that picture, though, I can't help but smile.

On a related note, why doesn't Valve just replace the old, outdated class pictures on the health bar, with the official art of the modern classes that they already have...

Proven

balladofwindfishes said:
Anyone have a Heavy Duty Rag and/or Team Spirit? The rag is really the only Heavy hat I like, and I really want a team colored Seargent's Hat

http://www.tf2items.com/id/ballad

I'm willing to trade the stuff on page 3 and 4 (obviously not all of it), and also the Madame Dixie or Coup D'Istaster on page 5

Agreed. I need to get one myself. I even have another Heavy hat I'm willing to trade, the Ushanka.

I was considering the Ushanka, but everyone has a Ushanka. I have the Coup D'Istater and the Dealer's Visor, but they're not that great of hats.

I was kind of thinking of getting all the TFC hats (Scotch Bonnet, Duty Rag and Medic Mask, which I already have), but the lack of team colors on the Scotch Bonnet is disapointing, and I love my Fro anyway.

You know, at one point, I had a Duty Rag. It was my third hat drop, ever, and was like a few hours after it was added.

I traded it for a Vintage Vintage Tyrolean, which I love, but I do miss it now, looking backwards.

Another week of drops, and it's the same things over and over. Ignoring the crates, the only recent items are the Fists of Steel, and the GRU (which aren't exactly that new). It's otherwise content to pass out Jarate, a Flare Gun, Bonk, two Direct Hits, and three Southern Hospitalities. Literally three in one week. At this point, the class update weapons (which I admit the SH wasn't "technically" the Engie update trio, even though it was still included in the same major update) should just be given to people by default like the stock class weapons are, and otherwise dropped at a reduced rate for crafting recipes. It's silly that each new item's chances of being dropped gets worse and worse as it fights with Spy vs. Sniper or Pyro update weapons on equal footing.

I just finished my greatest Medic round ever. I didn't get killed, managed to kill 2 Heavies with the Bonesaw, around 6/7 people with my Syringe Gun, 3 Dominations, 4 Ubercharges (my teammates were running around doing...something) and captured the flag twice in a row, and help the last one by ubering a Heavy while our Spy sneaked around to grab the briefcase. It was glorious.

On the other hand, the only drop I've gotten today has been THREE Claidheamh Mòr. Jesus.

Sibylus

Banned
rar said:
This picture illustrates the problem with Team Fortress 2 very effectively

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/2232/07vs10.jpg
And yet for all the hats, the class silhouettes still work as well as they always have. Further, TF2 never had a "serious" aesthetic to begin with. I can deal with an additional layer of camp and silliness, though I'd love to see the silly hats far outnumbered by real-world-inspired ones of varying eras (medieval mode could use some more steel helms, for example).

Botolf said:
And yet for all the hats, the class silhouettes still work as well as they always have. Further, TF2 never had a "serious" aesthetic to begin with. I can deal with an additional layer of camp and silliness, though I'd love to see the silly hats far outnumbered by real-world-inspired ones of varying eras (medieval mode could use some more steel helms, for example).
IAWTP. Still never had any trouble identifying a class with even the slightest glance at the longest distance. Plus, I look super-awesome with my Detective Noir + Police Badge.

Kulock said:
Another week of drops, and it's the same things over and over. Ignoring the crates, the only recent items are the Fists of Steel, and the GRU (which aren't exactly that new). It's otherwise content to pass out Jarate, a Flare Gun, Bonk, two Direct Hits, and three Southern Hospitalities. Literally three in one week. At this point, the class update weapons (which I admit the SH wasn't "technically" the Engie update trio, even though it was still included in the same major update) should just be given to people by default like the stock class weapons are, and otherwise dropped at a reduced rate for crafting recipes. It's silly that each new item's chances of being dropped gets worse and worse as it fights with Spy vs. Sniper or Pyro update weapons on equal footing.

Yes. I want a Crusader's Crossbow. Still haven't found any.

tonight:

cp_yukon
cp_degrootkeep
koth_nucleus
koth_sawmill
cp_well

in that order. Is it fair to say that map voting isn't the best strategy if you want people to play on the server?

ZZMitch

Blizzard said:
It's okay, I'll play cp_well again in another 3 months and have another shot at a scout kill at the beginning of the match. :p

Alright, I just felt bad because you quit right after... then I realized only four people were left in the game!

Yeef

wartime1020 said:
tonight:

cp_yukon
cp_degrootkeep
koth_nucleus
koth_sawmill
cp_well

in that order. Is it fair to say that map voting isn't the best strategy if you want people to play on the server?
I don't think voting is the problem. I think we need to both remove some of the default maps from the rotation and add some of the more popular custom maps (like cashworks, for instance).

[Edit]If anyone has any maps they'd like to see on the server post them here or shoot me a PM. I'll see what can be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom