• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
enzo_gt said:
Wait, it won't be 13.50 on release right? It'll go back to $15?

Fuck, decisions, decisions. I really don't have the money to blow D:

$1.50 savings is not that big of a deal....The real question is whether or not to pick it up for the week one content..

I remember when I purchased Lead & Gold because of the wild west theme, $1.50 pre-release discount and "omg class-based red vs blu". I still regret it to this day, since it doesn't seem like anyone from Asia bought it so I had to play with 300-400ms. It didn't help that the netcode wasn't good.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Gully State said:
$1.50 savings is not that big of a deal....The real question is whether or not to pick it up for the week one content..
Truth, but I'm not sure if I even want it. Was kinda meh on 360.

Forkball

I'm interested in MNC, but I was going to wait for more impressions and give it time for the game to build up a community. Promo hats aren't all that interesting to me anyways. I have the bounty hat from the treasure hunt, but I never wear it, even on classes I don't have hats for yet.

Cipherr

Sgt.Pepper said:
It's really impressive how some Snipers can get headshots so fast even when they have a Scout just in front of them. They do it ridiculously quick.

Somethings up with that bow. I have never played a sniper, I admit. But Ive been in small skirmish 1v1 with a shit ton of them in close range, and its only seemingly the ones with the bow equipped that can snap a shot instantly and still manage to hit you even if you are moving at mach 10 as a scout with added momentum from being hit with a rocket propelling you through the air like a jet.

Its at least moderately possible to juke a shot from the guns. But not a sniper with the bow. That and Ive come across so many of them with bows with funny custom descriptions like "Im just spamming this down hallways". Shits hilarious.

Twig

Banned
The huntsman has a much larger hitbox than, I believe, anything else in the game. There's a reason it's called "the lucksman".

I don't necessarily agree that it takes no skill, like some (COUGH CAPNDRAKE COUGH) would say, but it's certainly much easier to use than a real gun.

The rifle is much more satisfying to pull off, too! :D

Yeah, MNC feels much better on PC, even though the 360 version was decent for what it was. I don't remember the animated loading screens from the 360 version, they're a nice touch.

Gibbo

Just started on TF2 about a month or so ago? Picked it up during the Dec Steam sale.

Not sure if it has been said here- but in my 20 hours or so playing this- I've yet to encounter foul mouthed kids; as opposed to what you usually find in COD. The TF2 community is actually pretty helpful and forgiving from what I've experienced so far. Would that be a fair description?

Gibbo said:
Just started on TF2 about a month or so ago? Picked it up during the Dec Steam sale.

Not sure if it has been said here- but in my 20 hours or so playing this- I've yet to encounter foul mouthed kids; as opposed to what you usually find in COD. The TF2 community is actually pretty helpful and forgiving from what I've experienced so far. Would that be a fair description?

Pretty much...once in awhile you get people that like to abuse soundboards and/or play music but thankfully they can be muted...

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Kulock said:
Yeah, MNC feels much better on PC, even though the 360 version was decent for what it was. I don't remember the animated loading screens from the 360 version, they're a nice touch.
The 360 version received a patch with all the current content of the PC version. Those animated loading screens have been on the 360 for a while.

godhandiscen said:
The 360 version received a patch with all the current content of the PC version. Those animated loading screens have been on the 360 for a while.

That's good to hear. I haven't touched the 360 version in a while, I admit.

Although technically it's bad to hear, because it means I had less of a reason to double-dip.

rar

cooljeanius said:
Along these lines, I also suggest enabling the option that lets you heal as medic without keeping the button held down

NEVER DO THIS

please don't, the best medics don't and you shouldn't either

"Although technically it's bad to hear, because it means I had less of a reason to double-dip."

Map editor!

I've played the beta pretty regularly over the past month and Uber has made a ton of progress in that time. It's definitely not a half-assed port job.

Hylian7

I've got a trading question. I don't trade that often but I do play quite a bit.

How high of value of Vintage weapons considered? The reason I ask is that I've decided I don't care about fancy blue text and I would be better off trading them all off for something more useful than blue text. Is it likely that I would be able to get a key per Vintage weapon or less than that (I guess in terms of metal if keys aren't applicable here)?

rar said:
NEVER DO THIS

please don't, the best medics don't and you shouldn't either

...What possible reason would you have to not enable it? What does that have to do with being "the best medic"?

Hylian7 said:
How high of value of Vintage weapons considered? The reason I ask is that I've decided I don't care about fancy blue text and I would be better off trading them all off for something more useful than blue text. Is it likely that I would be able to get a key per Vintage weapon or less than that (I guess in terms of metal if keys aren't applicable here)?

They're pretty much fallen out of favor, I can't hardly get rid of mine even just for two or three random weapons in exchange. The only exceptions are a few drop-only items, especially Crit-a-Cola, and the early ones that had weird random levels before Valve fixed it.

Ceebs

Teknopathetic said:
"Although technically it's bad to hear, because it means I had less of a reason to double-dip."

Map editor!

I've played the beta pretty regularly over the past month and Uber has made a ton of progress in that time. It's definitely not a half-assed port job.
Never played the 360 version of MNC, but it really does feel like it was ever a console game. It's tons of fun too. Need to check out some of the recent updates seeing as I have not booted it up in a few weeks.

As for TF2, I would love to try some random custom maps if you wanted to do a custom night or something. Also I saw a video of a tropical themed payload map once. Does anyone have any clue what map that might have been?

most vintage weapons are worth about 1 scrap metal, save for crit-a-cola, which is worth about one refined. keys are worth about 1.5 refined

rar

Kulock said:
...What possible reason would you have to not enable it? What does that have to do with being "the best medic"?

its easier to comprehend that not clicking means not healing and clicking means healing, and autohealing just causes players to forget who they're healing and to heal them for too long. it's just as important not to heal as it is to heal in order to get crit heals. healing should be deliberate and not lazy, and it's just a stupid option that will handicap you in the long run when you could just get used to holding left click

rar said:
its easier to comprehend that not clicking means not healing and clicking means healing, and autohealing just causes players to forget who they're healing and to heal them for too long. it's just as important not to heal as it is to heal in order to get crit heals. healing should be deliberate and not lazy, and it's just a stupid option that will handicap you in the long run when you could just get used to holding left click

I'm sorry, but that's terrible reasoning, and you shouldn't be focused on getting "crit heals" as a Medic. You should be doing your job to keep everyone topped up, including overheal as much as you can. How can you forget who you're healing anyway? There's a giant marker with their name and their current health right in your face when you're healing, and you can optionally turn on an additional marker to make it even more obvious which person you're healing.

Otherwise, arguments about making it "lazy" because you aren't constantly holding down Mouse 1 (and thus not prone to misclicks, cramps, etc) make no sense to me.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Drkirby said:
Vintage is, due to the fact the item was put into the hat drop pool and nobody really had a reason to craft more then one.
Wait...vintage CaC was in the hat drop pool?

My one "hat" drop in the first 120 hours of play, and it was a crit-a-cola!?

rar

Kulock said:
I'm sorry, but that's terrible reasoning, and you shouldn't be focused on getting "crit heals" as a Medic. You should be doing your job to keep everyone topped up, including overheal as much as you can.

in competitive play it pays to be selective about when to overheal. in a defensive situation healing a scout you just buffed seconds before from 150 to 185 can result in the loss of a crit by a few seconds when attacking and the scout is lit. another common situation is choosing whether to spend 10s healing a 30hp demo or 2s overhealing two scouts to 185hpfirst. its subtle but it can be the difference between a point won and lost.

Kulock said:
How can you forget who you're healing anyway? There's a giant marker with their name and their current health right in your face when you're healing, and you can optionally turn on an additional marker to make it even more obvious which person you're healing.

ive seen plenty of medics who have trouble being aware of who theyre healing. most of the time they dont even realise it

Kulock said:
Otherwise, arguments about making it "lazy" because you aren't constantly holding down Mouse 1 (and thus not prone to misclicks, cramps, etc) make no sense to me.

its not just lazy, its less versatile and more clunky. click release click vs release click to switch heal targets could be the difference between a saving uber flash. ive never had a cramp from holding down a mouse button and it doesnt increase the likelihood of misclicking

ive never seen a decent competitive medic who uses autoheal. i just think its a bad decision

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The_Technomancer said:

Yeah what the fuck? I wasn't aware of this.

Proven

I'm sorry rar, but I also research comp medics, and a number of them use auto-heal, either the in game one or a custom script. I do too. We can argue decency another time.

Also, it's not click-release-click. It's just click to switch to a new target. If all you're worried about it laziness then all it takes is diligence.

Finally, if we're talking about new players, then it doesn't matter what the best medics do regardless.

rar

Proven said:
I'm sorry rar, but I also research comp medics, and a number of them use auto-heal, either the in game one or a custom script. I do too. We can argue decency another time.

who?

Proven said:
Also, it's not click-release-click. It's just click to switch to a new target. If all you're worried about it laziness then all it takes is diligence.

Finally, if we're talking about new players, then it doesn't matter what the best medics do regardless.

my bad, i still find it clunky. and i dont care who it is, i think default is a better system

Blizzard

Banned
I like autoheal because it's easier on my hand/wrist. Maybe it was my mouse, but I think playing medic used to give me cramps or hand/wrist pain, and I really want to avoid stuff that does that. Autoheal works well enough for me and I don't play in competitive leagues so I don't worry about whether it's best or not.

I like autoreload because that's an extra button I don't have to press. It probably gives me some competitive disadvantage, but I'm lazy and like it anyway. :)

rar

Blizzard said:
I like autoreload because that's an extra button I don't have to press. It probably gives me some competitive disadvantage, but I'm lazy and like it anyway. :)

pretty much everyone uses autoreload

The_Technomancer said:

Yep :p
It was an unfortunate glitch that's since been fixed

Uber Entertainment says MNC will unlock when the TF2 team posts a blog update and sends out the TF2 patch.

So we may get to play MNC by April

Dug

Banned
balladofwindfishes said:
Yep :p
It was an unfortunate glitch that's since been fixed

Uber Entertainment says MNC will unlock when the TF2 team posts a blog update and sends out the TF2 patch.

So we may get to play MNC by April
Why didn't they just release the items in a patch earlier? :\

Yeef

I prefer manual heal. Hearing that "no target" beep let's me know when my heal target gets out of range pretty much instantly. I don't have any problem holding down the mouse button at all.

The custom map downloads *should* be fixed on the server. I actually removed all of the maps from client folder and redownloaded them, one by one, via the server and they all worked fine and at decent speeds (cashworks, which is the largest map on the server, only took about 40 seconds or so to download).

Proven

Dug said:
Why didn't they just release the items in a patch earlier? :\

People would look through the game files and leak everything ahead of time. In fact, there are times when Valve counts on this to give clues for future updates, like during the Soldier vs. Demoman update, or during the Engineer update.

Yeef said:
I prefer manual heal. Hearing that "no target" beep let's me know when my heal target gets out of range pretty much instantly. I don't have any problem holding down the mouse button at all.
Another misconception. Holding down the button while not healing anyone causes you to link up to the first person you find, and gives the same "no target" beep, just like with the default system. It's actually because of that that once I was playing on a friend's pc after not touching the game in over a month it took me a while to realize that he didn't have auto-heal on.

rar

Proven said:

im actually interested in hearing who uses autoheal. ive literally never heard of one

There's a picture of a Fruit Fucker about to molest a Mann Co. crate on the Monday Night Combat store page now, so... (Plus one of the classes wearing an Engineer hardhat and such.)

rar said:
in competitive play it pays to be selective about when to overheal. in a defensive situation healing a scout you just buffed seconds before from 150 to 185 can result in the loss of a crit by a few seconds when attacking and the scout is lit. another common situation is choosing whether to spend 10s healing a 30hp demo or 2s overhealing two scouts to 185hpfirst. its subtle but it can be the difference between a point won and lost.
I knew this was going to be about competitive play. In 6v6 bouts where you're working as a tightly-organized team that knows everyone else and healing targets are limited, that makes sense to keep that level of control on your healing. For the average pub play by a new player on teams of 12v12, who has a good likelihood of never touching competitive play in their life, the option is convenient and a nice way of removing some of the punishment for playing an active Medic. (I remember the hand cramps I could get holding down the 360's trigger for so long back when I played it on console, until I think I found the option there.)

rar said:
ive seen plenty of medics who have trouble being aware of who theyre healing. most of the time they dont even realise it
As long as they're not healing a Spy, they're still helping the team, even if in a clumsy way. And they're probably just unfamiliar with the game if that's a big issue, happens to everybody learning the ropes.

rar said:
its not just lazy, its less versatile and more clunky. click release click vs release click to switch heal targets could be the difference between a saving uber flash. ive never had a cramp from holding down a mouse button and it doesnt increase the likelihood of misclicking
You do realize to switch heal targets with the option on, you just click on your next preferred target, right? That's an even faster switch between heal targets than "release click" The only part I would even consider "clunky" is stopping healing, which just requires you to click on empty space instead of a person, go out of range of your target, or switch weapons.

rar said:
ive never seen a decent competitive medic who uses autoheal. i just think its a bad decision
Not everyone has the goal of playing 6v6 competitive. And if you're not healing people who are hurt while you wait for "crit heals," most of the time they aren't going to understand, and think you're just a terrible Medic.

Ceebs

MNC unlocks:
Bonk! Slash!: Spy mask and Scout headphones worn by Assassin
Mental Illness: Sniper hat worn by Sniper
Jet Guns Are Better: Pyro's gasmask worn by Tank
Eye Lad: Demoman's cap and eyepatch worn by Assault
Bavcon: Heavy's bandolier worn by Gunner
Doctor Dispenser: Medic's backpack and Engineer's hardhat worn by Support

TF2 Unlocks
The Athletic Supporter: Available for every TF2 class
The Superfan: The Mascot's hat worn by the Scout
The Essential Accessories:The Mascot's wristbands, socks and shoes worn by the Scout

http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=4909&p=1

MNC_demo_assault.png

If you buy a copy of Monday Night Combat on Steam between now and 10AM PST, February 1st, 2011, you'll get two batches of exclusive items. In MNC, you'll receive class-specific mods to make your classes look a bit more TF2-y. And over at Team Fortress, you'll get an MNC-branded hat that any class can wear, as well as a custom hat and outfit for the Scout.

Why are we doing a cross-promotion like this? We've been playing Monday Night Combat at the TF offices, and it is frickin' addictive. We wanted to make sure the TF2 community knew about it. So buy Monday Night Combat! You'll get a chance to play a fun game, and get a pile of new items for your trouble.

rar

i was actually thinking of a different autoheal script

any way i dont think it matters how youre playing, default is an inherently better option. its literally slower to switch between targets with it because its computer controlled

Yeef

Proven said:
Another misconception. Holding down the button while not healing anyone causes you to link up to the first person you find, and gives the same "no target" beep, just like with the default system. It's actually because of that that once I was playing on a friend's pc after not touching the game in over a month it took me a while to realize that he didn't have auto-heal on.
I don't know what misconception you're talking about. I'm not sure why you would hold down the button if you have auto-heal on; that would defeat the purpose.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about, to clarify: My heal target engages from around a corner while I turn around and watch for spies. My companion then charges, severing the heal link. I immediately hear the beep and know that he's either pushed forward or died and either regroup or retreat.

The Accessories are a nice addition, but if you're talking about the Superfan, I was expecting the big mascot head. (And the subsequent Sniper fury.) More ballcaps... I'm not sure why they bothered.

Forkball

Also an update with additional stuff:

Added the Monday Night Combat gear
Added Crit-a-Cola to the weapon drop list
Added missing chalkboard/serverbrowser materials for 5Gorge
Fixed some missing particles systems in the low violence version
Fixed a bug with the round ending when a control point is captured during Overtime in CP_Egypt
Fixed the game not running on machines using Fat32
Updated the localization files

Haha, maybe I will finally get one now.

I didn't get my TF2 items yet :/

I hope this isn't like the last two promotions. For L4D2, I had to wait 2 weeks before it dropped. For Killing Floor, I had to sent a support ticket to get my promo items.

Remy

Server is updating. If the speed my client is going at (3k/sec!) is any indication, this is going to take a while.

EDIT 1: It appears to be updating EVERY prop.

EDIT 2: Server is back up as of 8:45 PM. Expect it to fill up quick since most servers haven't been updated yet...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom