• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twig

Banned
Boonoo said:
The lack of love for push maps in this thread is D:
I can't help that, outside of CTF, it's got the worst bunch of maps. The mode is in theory fine, but in practice never works out as well as other modes. Also I tend toward liking defense more than offense on those maps, so I'm only enjoying it half the time.

Arena is, of course, some sort of strange bastard that isn't included in these discussions.

Yeef

Boonoo said:
The lack of love for push maps in this thread is D:
I like push maps fine, but a lot of them have at least one poorly designed section that's frustrating. The most obvious example is upward. With enough competent engineers the last point is virtually impossible. It completely goes against the flow of the rest of the map.

(._.)

Banned
Well it is the last point of the map which is supposed to be the hardest to get. Same can be said for Badwater. I get what you are saying though.

Boonoo

Yeef said:
I like push maps fine, but a lot of them have at least one poorly designed section that's frustrating. The most obvious example is upward. With enough competent engineers the last point is virtually impossible. It completely goes against the flow of the rest of the map.

Naw, that's a payload. Push is 5cp maps like badlands and granary where the action flows back and forth between the teams as they switch from offense to defense.

I can't help that, outside of CTF, it's got the worst bunch of maps. The mode is in theory fine, but in practice never works out as well as other modes. Also I tend toward liking defense more than offense on those maps, so I'm only enjoying it half the time.

I'd say that 5cp push maps have the potential for the best gameplay when teams are even because then you get a real game going rather than a stalemate. It's true that those even teams don't pop up too terribly often, but when they do they're real nice--there's nothing like pushing the other team all the way back from your last to theirs.

If teams aren't even you tend to either get a fast roll or an ugly stalemate on last for 10 minutes. But it's nice to have a stalemate be the worst case scenario rather then the goal with something like dustbowl or ctf.

Twig

Banned
Huh. Upward is one of the few where I LIKE the last point.

I guess that's because I'm a spy, though, and engineers are stupid. (Hi Java!)

Boonoo said:
Naw, that's a payload. Push is 5cp maps like badlands and granary where the action flows back and forth between the teams as they switch from offense to defense.
Oh, push is perfectly fine. In fact, push is ALMOST as awesome as payload race.

Yeef

(._.) said:
Well it is the last point of the map which is supposed to be the hardest to get. Same can be said for Badwater. I get what you are saying though.
Well, the problem with upward's last point is that there's really only one way to get at it. Most other maps will have an alternate route or two to attack from. With upward every route plants you right in front of the sentries anyway. Maybe the problem is that the sentries have the high ground where on other maps, like badwater, they don't.

Boonoo said:
Oh. I thought push was a generic term for maps where red is defending. I usually just call the maps you're talking about 5cp.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I really don't like 5 Point capture to much. Maybe I can try and play with the level editor and make my "There are 3 neutral Points, and only 3 neutral points. CAPTURE THEM ALL!" map. And maybe go with both a KOTH style where there is a timer and standard "Capture All Points" to see which works better.

rar

one of my problem's with ctf is it's really difficult to realise where the flag is in pubs when no one is saying anything into their mics and all you have is a little arrow thing

Twig

Banned
Drkirby said:
Really, why do we not kick or ban some of those guys?
I dunno. I was pretty close. But I got tired of playing before I got annoyed enough to ban. Too many people were getting all SRS BSNS on the server.

EvilMario is/was a GAFfer. Maybe he'll explain why he was being a douche. U: No doubt it was all a joke. Surely.

kdcherli is usually pretty cool but not tonight for whatever reason.

Twig

Banned
Volcynika said:
Did some people act stupid tonight? Java should exercise his power!
He wasn't around. And I don't particularly like abusing my admin power just because people are douchefucks. U:

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Twig said:
I dunno. I was pretty close. But I got tired of playing before I got annoyed enough to ban. Too many people were getting all SRS BSNS on the server.

EvilMario is/was a GAFfer. Maybe he'll explain why he was being a douche. U: No doubt it was all a joke. Surely.

kdcherli is usually pretty cool but not tonight for whatever reason.

Of course, it's all in fun. I don't think any of us were wearing our 'serious pants', we were just a little loud. Sorry if it rubbed anyone the wrong way.

Yeef

Java actually was around. Then he mysteriously vanished. About 5 minutes later was when all of those people started showing up. One at a time. Until the server was full of them.

Twig

Banned
Volcynika said:
But power abuse is the best part of having power!
I don't particularly enjoy having power, though!
EvilMario said:
Of course, it's all in fun. I don't think any of us were wearing our 'serious pants', we were just a little loud. Sorry if it rubbed anyone the wrong way.
Maybe. U:

kdcherli was certainly getting pissed. OGAWDIMABOUTTOSWITCHTEAMS

oh shirley what happened to the good ol' days

Boonoo

Hey hey hey!

Highlander match Sunday at 2PM Central time. Make sure you're there! We'll be playing on the GAF server, so we'll have to grab it for about an hour (if that's ok with you Java).

Make sure you install mumble.

Twig

Banned
Iadien said:
KD is always like that.
Nah, he's usually pretty cool.

At least, when he doesn't have other people around, encouraging him.
Boonoo said:
Hey hey hey!

Highlander match Sunday at 2PM Central time. Make sure you're there! We'll be playing on the GAF server, so we'll have to grab it for about an hour (if that's ok with you Java).

So that's like noon PST.

Bad news: n0b's hard drive died. I dunno if he can play. Also, at least half our team hasn't posted in this thread for a while. U:
Danne-Danger said:
Any chance of these Highlander matches being uploaded somewhere? It'd be fun to watch.
.. :eek:
I'll be recording it, but it'd be nice if we could get a SourceTV recording. so that we could see everything instead of just my point of view.

It will no doubt be awful though. It's not like we've practiced even once!

(._.)

Banned
Hey, does anybody know what software works best when recording TF2 gameplay? I want to start recording but I don't want to change the resolution of my screen (1920X1200) or take any dips in my 60 fps rate while playing. I don't care if the software only captures 30 fps though. I have played around with fraps and the videos I record are huge because the software can't compress them while doing recording on my settings. Anything I could fix to make an hour or two of play time recorded not much of a hassle?

Twig

Banned
There's no way to make it compress on the fly.

The easiest way is to record demos as you play, using the Source demo recorder, and then convert it to video later, via some other means.

Just know that the demo player is buggy as shit, and the in-built Source avi converter is even buggier.

(._.)

Banned
Yeah I know about the demo feature but have never really used it. I guess I will look into that and see if I can use another program to record my screen while the demo is playing. I heard the demo feature doesn't record the score screen and a couple other things which kinda sucks but whatever.

Boonoo

(._.) said:
Hey, does anybody know what software works best when recording TF2 gameplay? I want to start recording but I don't want to change the resolution of my screen (1920X1200) or take any dips in my 60 fps rate while playing. I don't care if the software only captures 30 fps though. I have played around with fraps and the videos I record are huge because the software can't compress them while doing recording on my settings. Anything I could fix to make an hour or two of play time recorded not much of a hassle?

Yeah, your video doesn't have to look anything like what it does when you play. Here's a video showing the difference. The first half is him playing with this FPS config; the second is pretty.

Also poke around the PldX tutorial page. I think they give some good tips.

Boonoo

Twig said:
. I dunno if he can play. Also, at least half our team hasn't posted in this thread for a while. U:

I'll be recording it, but it'd be nice if we could get a SourceTV recording. so that we could see everything instead of just my point of view.

It will no doubt be awful though. It's not like we've practiced even once!

We have 13 people on the roster, so we should have some wiggle room. I'm not sure about source TV; I really don't know how to set it up on a server.

I wouldn't worry too much about the demo. Highlander matches aren't too terribly different than standard pub games, especially at the level we're going to be playing at.

We're going to be playing two maps. Badwater (2 rounds, best time wins) and Granary (30 minute match--team with the most points wins or if a difference of 5 is reached).

I don't think it will take much more than an hour.

To make some pretense of organization here, again, is a list of people signed up. Just post in the thread about whether or not you'll be able to make it.

benhuberGAF
bombdigiti
Boonoo
GAFBlizzard
n0b
Ner0h
notsol337
pet
rac
ReRixo
Spire
Striker
Twig

8/9

Twig

Banned
Boonoo said:
I wouldn't worry too much about the demo. Highlander matches aren't too terribly different than standard pub games, especially at the level we're going to be playing at.
Oh, I know, I'm not expecting much, but I would like to have a SourceTV recording just to mess around with.

IF YOU HAVEN'T CAUGHT ON YET, I ENJOY MAKING THESE VIDEOS

P.S., I can definitely make it Sunday at noon PST.

Next weekend, though, I'll be out of town (friend's wedding), so...! If we win and we have to play next weekend (I have no idea what the actual structure for this tourney is!) then I won't be able to make it.

Boonoo

Twig said:
Oh, I know, I'm not expecting much, but I would like to have a SourceTV recording just to mess around with.

IF YOU HAVEN'T CAUGHT ON YET, I ENJOY MAKING THESE VIDEOS

I will set it up if you promise to make sweet videos of my amazing gunslinger skills.

Also!

everyone download mumble.

Use Vert's post to set it up.

Next weekend, though, I'll be out of town (friend's wedding), so...! If we win and we have to play next weekend (I have no idea what the actual structure for this tourney is!) then I won't be able to make it.

We at the very least have to play 2 rounds in our Group Phase. If we do well we have to keep playing.

rac

Banned
Boonoo said:
To make some pretense of organization here, again, is a list of people signed up. Just post in the thread about whether or not you'll be able to make it.
I'll be there as a soldier.

benhuberGAF
bombdigiti
Boonoo
GAFBlizzard
n0b
Ner0h
notsol337
pet
rac
ReRixo
Spire
Striker
Twig

3/9

Twig

Banned
Boonoo said:
I will set it up if you promise to make sweet videos of my amazing gunslinger skills.
U:

I promise nothing! I don't even know how SourceTV demos work. Is it just like if you were spectating as if the game is live, or are you stuck with a certain view point unless you know how to change the camera with that crazy Source stuff? 'Cause I have absolutely no idea how to change the camera. D:
We at the very least have to play 2 rounds in our Group Phase. If we do well we have to keep playing.
How long does the phase last?

Yeef

I got a new video card today (768MB GTX 460 up from a GTS 8600). Everything is so much nicer looking.

The server better be full tonight!

Boonoo

Twig said:
Well, I meant how long do we have to play those games.

EDIT: Still spy, I suppose. U:

2 weeks assuming we don't have to go to the playoffs. Games shouldn't be more than 1 hour each.

Blizzard

Banned
Boonoo said:
Hey hey hey!

No one has objections that we'd have home field advantage? At least we can blame Java's scripts if we lose. :lol

I can make 3PM EST, assuming that's what 2PM central works out to be on Sunday.

Ultimatum

Banned
I'll definitely be there if you need me (ReRixo), but I'm a little out of practise :lol I'll play over the weekend, what class would you need me to play? As it's on the US servers I shouldn't play scout or sniper, and I suck as engineer.

Boonoo

Ultimatum said:
I'll definitely be there if you need me (ReRixo), but I'm a little out of practise :lol I'll play over the weekend, what class would you need me to play? As it's on the US servers I shouldn't play scout or sniper, and I suck as engineer.

We do need you! you can play whatever.

This person's been working on animations of every class dancing, and he's finally posted the complete work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nds1T7U9FqY

It's almost a shame, there's too much going on and even at high resolutions some of his smaller animation work is lost, so you should take a look at the previews too if you haven't seen them yet. Still, it's skilled work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom