• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
Twig said:
that amazing soldier was a good sport, i hope he comes back U:
I felt kinda bad for carey since I kept running into him and he was asking questions about heavy, like how I was killing him so quickly. Maybe he'll come back too.

And speaking of people coming back, someone did come back last night...

...Hardcore! Style! :lol

Twig

Banned
Blizzard said:
I felt kinda bad for carey since I kept running into him and he was asking questions about heavy, like how I was killing him so quickly. Maybe he'll come back too.

And speaking of people coming back, someone did come back last night...

...Hardcore! Style! :lol
Ol' Belgewaf has Alzheimer's and doesn't remember what you're talking about. D:

n0b

Twig said:
Ol' Belgewaf has Alzheimer's and doesn't remember what you're talking about. D:
Because Ol' Belgewaf doesn't come on early anymore. Theres a guy named Axe. that goes around as spy and whenever he backstabs he has a text bind that says "Owned Hardcore Style!"

Twig

Banned
n0b said:
Because Ol' Belgewaf doesn't come on early anymore. Theres a guy named Axe. that goes around as spy and whenever he backstabs he has a text bind that says "Owned Hardcore Style!"
I do when I can, but lately I'm busy at that time of night! ):

I have class until 8 on Monday, 9:30 on Tuesday, and 8 again on Thursday, and it takes me about 40 minutes to walk home - longer if I decide to go out for dinner with some friends. And then I do other things outside of TF2!

)':

Blizzard

Banned
Twig said:
I do when I can, but lately I'm busy at that time of night! ):

I have class until 8 on Monday, 9:30 on Tuesday, and 8 again on Thursday, and it takes me about 40 minutes to walk home - longer if I decide to go out for dinner with some friends. And then I do other things outside of TF2!

)':
You expect us to believe such excuses? Like we'd fall for that. The very idea of Twig having friends

Javaman

Twig said:
DOUBLE EDIT: Also, I dunno if people agree or disagree with THIS, but I think having KOTH go three rounds instead of two is appealing. They're inherently short, and I happen to think it's one of the best modes. O: (Alongside payload race. I like the constant conflict the two modes encourage, as opposed to one team being forced into defense - though that does happen often enough on PLR if one team is too "stacked" or whatever.)

TRIPLE EDIT: Jesus Christ so many typos. U:

That'll have to be done manually with an admin doing the command rcon mp_maxrounds 3
and returning it to 2 after the map otherwise it'll affect all the maps. I don't think anyone wants to do 3 rounds of each PLR/CP/PL maps

Twig

Banned
Javaman said:
That'll have to be done manually with an admin doing the command rcon mp_maxrounds 3
and returning it to 2 after the map otherwise it'll affect all the maps. I don't think anyone wants to do 3 rounds of each PLR/CP/PL maps
Really? Can't be done on a per map basis?

That... seems like such an obvious thing, I can't imagine it's that difficult. U:

I will research when I have more free time!

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I started messing around as a spy and it's somewhat enjoyable, apart from everyone getting dominations on me :lol

What setup are spies in here using? I've found both watches since i started playing yesterday but i can't seem to find any real use for them so i stick to the old invisi watch. I guess my play style is run past cloaked and try come up from behind which is why the other two don't seem to work that well.

So any tips for doing a better job?

Twig

Banned
evlcookie said:
I started messing around as a spy and it's somewhat enjoyable, apart from everyone getting dominations on me :lol

What setup are spies in here using? I've found both watches since i started playing yesterday but i can't seem to find any real use for them so i stick to the old invisi watch. I guess my play style is run past cloaked and try come up from behind which is why the other two don't seem to work that well.

So any tips for doing a better job?
Speaking as someone who recently (that is to say about half a year ago, I guess sounds about right) started playing spy a lot and eventually found out how to not be terrible. I learned with the cloak and dagger. It was always my intention to eventually switch back to the default watch over time, once I learned tricks, but then I was like "I'm doing well, why would I switch?"

The problem with the cloak and dagger, though, is that you end up standing still a lot, and waiting, and most importantly wasting time. During the golden wrench fiasco, I crafted away my cloak and dagger (and ended up not getting the wrench, obviously), and was forced to use the default watch when I came back. That's when I learned!

Always be moving.

Don't waste time sitting around as a spy, unless you're already in a good position and you KNOW someone is going to walk by soon. Uncloak around corners if possible, and away from people - the uncloaking is audible to enemies. If you're forced to uncloak near someone, try to time it while they're shooting or being shot at. They'll be distracted. Once you're uncloaked, behind people, and ready to stab: don't get cocky. That's the reason for probably about fifty percent of my deaths. And finally, expect the backstab reg. to be buggy as fuck. You will get facestabs, and you will fail backstabs that should work. This is just the life of a TF2 spy. ):

This is all probably incredibly obvious and/or stupidly rambly/confusing, but hey! The most important thing is the first thing: don't waste time sitting around waiting for shit to happen. That makes you a useless spy!

EDIT: Also, the ambassador is a horrible, terrible, awful excuse for a weapon. Don't use it. Ever. Seriously. It's bad.

But do use the revolver. It's a great weapon. Super accurate, and semi-powerful to boot. Do not underestimate it, and do not rely entirely on your knife.

Boonoo

Javaman said:

That seems pretty strange. I know that at least on the SA servers all the maps are configured individually with some maps being 1 round, some 2, and some best of 3.

Javaman

Twig said:
Really? Can't be done on a per map basis?

That... seems like such an obvious thing, I can't imagine it's that difficult. U:

I will research when I have more free time!

There's definitely a way to do map based configuration, but I'm not sure how.

As far as spies, everyone has different priorities, but I almost always go for tele entrances first if we are attacking the first CP point on a multi CP map. It'll almost guarantee an eventual cap. That also places me close to the final point to hopefully do a spy cap if they cap right away or focus on the juicy stream of enemy players that now need to run all the way to the other end of the map.

Yeef

I generally do that as scout. Bonk past the front lines and then take out the teleporters while everyone is still at the front lines.

Then I just troll the spawn while 6 people chase me around their spawn as their forward defense gets hammered.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
And I tend to try that as a Pyro in Payload, since few expect it, and a lot of maps have back paths that don't get used much.

Sucks when I get there and I find there is no teleporter, but what can you do. I am able to on some maps hold out for a good minute or two, so taking away some fire power from the front lines is always a good thing.

Twig said:
EDIT: Also, the ambassador is a horrible, terrible, awful excuse for a weapon. Don't use it. Ever. Seriously. It's bad.

But do use the revolver. It's a great weapon. Super accurate, and semi-powerful to boot. Do not underestimate it, and do not rely entirely on your knife.
I agree with the rest of your post, but this part is plain wrong. The ambassador is a clearly an upgrade if you can aim well. The headshot damage is insane and is great for sniping people.

I'd never go back to the revolver after getting good with the ambassador

(._.)

Banned
The Ambassador is one of those weapons that has a noticeable downside to it making it not really worth using compared to the original Spy Revolver. Same can be said for the Direct hit (yet some people still insist on using it), Scottish Resistance, and half of the added weapons in TF2.

(._.) said:
The Ambassador is one of those weapons that has a noticeable downside to it making it not really worth using compared to the original Spy Revolver. Same can be said for the Direct hit (yet some people still insist on using it), Scottish Resistance, and half of the added weapons in TF2.
It's only really a downside if you miss though. Two headshots kills most classes and you can do it from range if you need to.

It's also perfect for killing engineers who camp their guns, and for killing snipers.

Even with the short delay between shooting I feel its far superior to the revolver.

Twig

Banned
no sorry the ambassador is absolutely fucking terrible

shitty accuracy shitty fire rate shitty everything

regular revolver will always be better

Yeef

Twig said:
no sorry the ambassador is absolutely fucking terrible

shitty accuracy shitty fire rate shitty everything

regular revolver will always be better
Both revolvers actually have perfect accuracy so long as you wait for the cooldown between shots. The problem with the Ambassador is that a head shot isn't enough damage to kill any non-wounded enemy and the accuracy is awful if you don't wait for the cool down, thereby giving your target a chance to run away or retaliate.

notsol337

marked forever
Blizzard said:
You expect us to believe such excuses? Like we'd fall for that. The very idea of Twig having friends

I AM TWIG'S FRIEND I AM TWIG'S FRIEND I AM TWIG'S FRIEND I AM TWIG'S FRIEND I AM TWIG'S FRIEND I AM TWIG'S FRIEND I AM TWIG'S FRIEND I AM TWIG'S FRIEND I AM TWIG'S FRIEND I AM TWIG'S FRIEND I AM TWIG'S FRIEND

(._.)

Banned
Yeah, pretty much what Twig said.

It definitely has it's uses sometimes, but as I said it is one of those weapons where the downsides to it will outweigh the ups. I think I have been killed by an Ambassador like five times and I will start keeping count (lol). It is one of those weapons that has a cool ability but a catch to it. In the long run it isn't worth using. The same can be said for several other weapons, some to a lesser extent. I would never build my game around the Ambassador when playing Spy.

On a side note the Deadringer is arguably the best watch.

Twig

Banned
Both revolvers actually have perfect accuracy so long as you wait for the cooldown between shots.
I know, but you have to wait longer with the ambassador. Which is terrible if you ACTUALLY WANT TO SHOOT PEOPLE.

Ambassador also has an inferior sound effect.
(._.) said:
It is different. It is not necessarily better. Depends entirely on your playstyle.

JoeyX

Neo Member
(._.) said:

I find it isn't good for my playstyle. I usually whip out the gun and shoot people who are low on health as a spy. Or I'll use it if I fail a 1v1 backstab. I don't have time to aim for head during those times .

Direct hit is for sentries, heavies and the odd occasion a sniper. If it doesn't move much the DH is amazing.

I still haven't used the Scottish Resistance more than once.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
(._.) said:
Deadringer tends to be useless when fleeing a Pyro, because we can still see you burning after you use it. I don't know if its just getting reignited right after using it, or if you just stay on fire, but it sort of defeats the purpose.

Yeef

Using it puts you out, but you get reignited if the pyro is still on you. That's not really a con vs. the other watches though, since you'd still be on fire with those as well.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Yeef said:
Using it puts you out, but you get reignited if the pyro is still on you. That's not really a con vs. the other watches though, since you'd still be on fire with those as well.
True, its just far less effective.

And someone leave the Gaf Server, I wanna play Thunder Mountain D:

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Yeah. We did have like 3 or 4 Heavies on our team with all the Medics though. Maybe this shows how broken the Heavy with a Medic is when a team of nothing but them can actually stop anther team.

I may play more as a Gun Slinger Engineer tonight, I love ploping down Mini-Sentries :D

Boonoo

moojito said:
I don't know. I think a good spy would clean up in a match v nothing but medics and heavies.

Not with all the bullets flying around. As I recall spy wasn't any fun at all during the heavy update.

Twig

Banned
moojito said:
I don't know. I think a good spy would clean up in a match v nothing but medics and heavies.
There were a few spies, yes.

But since we were ubered almost literally half the time, they didn't do much damage.

Drkirby said:
Yeah. We did have like 3 or 4 Heavies on our team with all the Medics though. Maybe this shows how broken the Heavy with a Medic is when a team of nothing but them can actually stop anther team.

I may play more as a Gun Slinger Engineer tonight, I love ploping down Mini-Sentries :D

It's more that Team Fortress was never designed for linear Attack/Defend gameplay, but somewhere along the line valve decided to force the issue. CTF is and always has been far more balanced.

Yeef

Confidence Man said:
It's more that Team Fortress was never designed for linear Attack/Defend gameplay, but somewhere along the line valve decided to force the issue. CTF is and always has been far more balanced.
Payload race is a lot more balanced than CTF, in my opinion. But it should obviously go without saying that certain classes or more or less useful depending on the mode (and the map).

Twig

Banned
Yeef said:
Payload race is a lot more balanced than CTF, in my opinion. But it should obviously go without saying that certain classes or more or less useful depending on the mode (and the map).
Payload race and king of the hill are The Best modes fuck yeah.

Attack/Defend is perfectly fine as long as the map is exceptional. Otherwise, it just takes too long and makes you want to cry. Regular payload included.

Yeef

Twig said:

Attack/Defend is perfectly fine as long as the map is exceptional. Otherwise, it just takes too long and makes you want to cry. Regular payload included.
I don't really agree with KOTH. I think it heavily favors the more aggressive classes. Now if they had a King of the Hill style mode but with multiple points (owning 2 points would make your countdown go twice as fast) I think that would be excellent for all classes. It'd also be relatively easy to modify some attack/defend maps to work with it as well.

In fact, now that I think of it I wouldn't be surprised if that's the new mode in the Polycount pack.

(._.)

Banned
Payload anything is great, race and vip. All the maps are exceptionally balanced and are fun to play. Easily my favorite game mode followed by control point a/d maps.

Twig said:

Less linear A/D maps are always preferable, but even those fall victim to the fact that your objective is simply to steamroll and submit the other team.

Payload race is good though.

Twig

Banned
yeef said:
I don't really agree with KOTH.
They are short, and promote literally constant conflict. There is no such thing as turtling.

That is why KOTH is better than attack/defense, and even attack/attack, and definitely CTF.

CTF fails utterly because most of the map designers like making them tight with not a lot of different paths. Double Cross is an exception of course and is fucking awesome.
Confidence Man said:
Less linear A/D maps are always preferable, but even those fall victim to the fact that your objective is simply to steamroll and submit the other team.
Oh, I agree. I'm just saying I still have a lot of fun with them, provided they aren't linear straight-line bullshit (dustbowl).

And even those I enjoy well enough to play from time to time.

Boonoo

Confidence Man said:

I really don't see how you immediately go to CTF as a cure for linear gameplay. It has all the negatives ofstandard A/D gameplay but condensed an doubled. Both teams just fling themselves at one another's bases without any real change in scenery or tactics.

The lack of love for push maps in this thread is D:

Twig said:
CTF fails utterly because most of the map designers like making them tight with not a lot of different paths. Double Cross is an exception of course and is fucking awesome.

I was thinking more of TFC. The old Badlands and Well, Shutdown 2, Crossover 2, Rock... unfortunately it's just an afterthought in TF2.

I really don't see how you immediately go to CTF as a cure for linear gameplay. It has all the negatives ofstandard A/D gameplay but condensed an doubled. Both teams just fling themselves at one another's bases without any real change in scenery or tactics.

Sounds like you don't play much CTF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom