• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeef

NEW PAGE!

GAF Server IP: 68.232.178.184:27015
Steam Community group: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/Neogaf-TF2

Kuro Madoushi said:
msg one of us admins and we'll ban them all ALL I SAY
BAN THEM ALL! MWAHAHAHAHA!

It's not that big a deal, really. I think it was more two or three very vocal guys rather than ALL of them, but I like to lump strangers into easily definable groups rather than dealing with nuance. I just thought it was odd because usually when the server isn't completely full it's completely empty. The few times when I've gone on with only a handful of people it's always been regulars like ArtistDude and LeMeuller, not randoms.

Javaman

fallengorn said:
heavy dispenser loli sounds familiar.

Yeah, I've played along side him from time to time. Also Vinsent was on the GAF server earlier in the night IIRC. I don't recognize any of the others.

n0b

Javaman said:
Yeah, I missed him. He's a good player. BAN DENIED.

He never protected me while I was medic, never posed a threat to enemies, killed less than I did as attack medic, I DISLIKE BAD HEAVIES BAN REINSTATED.

PRUFE:
2na2z9e.jpg

Also this is an old awesome death cam that I got a while ago.
331elbl.jpg

Blizzard

Banned
fallengorn said:
heavy dispenser loli sounds familiar.
That's the only one I remember ever seeing on.

Also, I was about to rage so hard about the holy hand grenade making me buy Worms (even though I might get it anyway), but then I realized it was only a visual upgrade. :lol (right? It is, right?!?!)

Also, what on EARTH are you talking about with the ball?

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Blizzard said:
That's the only one I remember ever seeing on.

Also, I was about to rage so hard about the holy hand grenade making me buy Worms (even though I might get it anyway), but then I realized it was only a visual upgrade. :lol (right? It is, right?!?!)

Also, what on EARTH are you talking about with the ball?
BUY WORMS SO THAT WE CAN PLAY TOGETHER BLIZZARD.

WormsTF2HatItem.png

Blizzard said:

I'm still going to rage, personally. I'd love to quote my own post when it came up for Sam & Max, but since Google can't actually see the Online forum, it's unsearchable.

The argument for the Sam & Max items was that it was a special one-time thing between two devs being bestest-buddies at the moment. Fine.

Now there's nothing that says Team17 and Valve can't be bestest-buddies either too. But you'd have to be a pretty big apologist to not admit what's going on here. It's exactly what I was worried they'd do, they're using TF2 hats and weapon skins to shill items on Steam. I don't really care how "clever" it is, it feels tacky. And no, of course we don't have to go for it, but who in their right mind wouldn't want Monty Python-styled Holy Hand Grenades for the Soldier? It would be a fun thing if they just introduced it into the random drops, but instead you've got to go buy Team17's game to get them.

I would guess this is primarily the reason why Valve blocked off people using server-side hat plugins in the first place. It wasn't about keeping rare hats rare, it was about potentially damaging promotional agreements on these items. To Valve's credit, they sort of relented, requiring that server-side hat/wearable plugins didn't include any official hats. But they really didn't seem concerned about it at first, until about when the Sam & Max items hit.

Blizzard

Banned
Kulock said:
I would guess this is primarily the reason why Valve blocked off people using server-side hat plugins in the first place. It wasn't about keeping rare hats rare, it was about potentially damaging promotional agreements on these items. To Valve's credit, they sort of relented, requiring that server-side hat/wearable plugins didn't include any official hats. But they really didn't seem concerned about it at first, until about when the Sam & Max items hit.
I didn't know server-side hat plugins were disabled, huh. I only played on one or two servers that let people choose their hats though. Then again, I guess that -was- before the Sam & Max items... :(

What's even more annoying to me is that it's not like Gunbound or something where in theory you can buy your special little avatar decorations months in the future if you want. It's a system where, if you did not PREorder this one particular game (Sam & Max) from one particular store, you can never have this set of items. Same kind of thing now.

I know Valve seems to like that sort of thing (random soldier medals, no one else can ever get them, random golden wrenches with cool voice lines and a cool death effect, no one else can ever get them or even see them in action in most cases), but having to to pay for an item at a certain point in time and not even being able to buy it for a premium after the fact seems kind of silly. I guess MMOs and such may do that all the time, but...is that really what people want TF2 to turn into?

Jangaroo

WAIT I GET A FREE HAT? WHAT? WHEN. I BOUGHT IT ALREADY BLARGH.
Edit: Okay, took some chill pills. TF2 hasn't updated with the hats and HHG yet. I can wait. FOREVER.

Yeef

Home does it compare to Worms: Armageddon and Worms World Party? If it can hold up to those games then I'd probably pick it up eventually anyway. The TF2 stuff would be just a bonus.

[edit] Home = How

Blizzard said:
I didn't know server-side hat plugins were disabled, huh. I only played on one or two servers that let people choose their hats though. Then again, I guess that -was- before the Sam & Max items... :(

It's back again, but there's a specific requirement that it's not supposed to include any Valve-distributed hats or wearables. Some people have ignored that and included them anyway, I don't really know if they receive any kind of punishment for that.

This is a message from the creator of the plug-in about it.

Jangaroo

Yeef said:
Home does it compare to Worms: Armageddon and Worms World Party? If it can hold up to those games then I'd probably pick it up eventually anyway. The TF2 stuff would be just a bonus.

[edit] Home = How
It's based on Worms 2: Armageddon which was released on XBLA which basically means it's going to play like Worms: A and World Party. New weapons, new maps, etc, etc. It's more of the same so if you like Worms, than this should be a no brainer.

Yeef

Jangaroo said:
It's based on Worms 2: Armageddon which was released on XBLA which basically means it's going to play like Worms: A and World Party. New weapons, new maps, etc, etc. It's more of the same so if you like Worms, than this should be a no brainer.
Laaaawdy!

It be Christmas in the Caribbean!

Jangaroo

You also get bonus hats for use ingame within Reloaded. It's like a double whammy of hats.

Yeef

Already picked it up. Now I just have to convince all of my old Worms buddies to get it too.

Hopefully they haven't gotten rid of rope knocking.

Jangaroo

Yeef said:
Already picked it up. Now I just have to convince all of my old Worms buddies to get it too.

Hopefully they haven't gotten rid of rope knocking.
Ninja roping is still in so I'm going to assume that is too.

Yeef

Jangaroo said:
Ninja roping is still in so I'm going to assume that is too.
If I recall correctly they got rid of it in W:A and WWP. Then a patch for W:A let you turn it off or on, but only for local and LAN games.

Jangaroo

WHAT?! Well I guess it was a bit too broken. I don't think you were able to do that in the DS entries either.

New blog update, a contest to name hats (for no prizes), community match stuff, and their mention of the Worms deal.

TF2 Blog said:
You probably thought we were done for the day too, but we've barely started this blog post. The fine folks over at Team 17 are about to release Worms Reloaded this week. Being massive fans of their work, all the way back to the original Alien Breed, we thought it'd be fun to do something with them. So, we approached them and politely asked if we could include an iconic element of their game in TF2. The conversation was going swimmingly until they said that the best item to use would be the Holy Hand Grenade. We shuffled our feet and nervously explained that some soon-to-be-fired idiot had removed all of TF2's grenades.

But luckily, we were saved by our own shoddy workmanship. While we removed grenades from the game during early development, we left two of them dangling on the front of the Soldier as a teasing reminder of what once was. So, to celebrate the release, we're going to give a nifty Soldier visual update to anyone who buys Worms Reloaded before Thursday, September 2nd, allowing him to sport two Holy Hand Grenades and a new Soldier helmet. Here's what it looks like in-game:

soldier_worms_small.png
TF2 Blog said:
Being massive fans of their work, all the way back to the original Alien Breed,
You know, maybe I've been looking at this pre-order thing the wrong way.

Valve said:
We're really, really sorry about what happened with Alien Swarm. We know we've pretty much completely killed your long-term sales on Alien Breed: Impact. You say you've got a new Worms game coming out?

moojito

Are hats supposed to be obtainable as random drops, or only through crafting? The only one I have is the gibus, and I've put in nearly 80 hours now. That's a pretty harsh hats/hour ratio!

edit: Also, uk tf2 gaf types - what servers do you folks populate? I usually go on the hampshire heavies server as recommended to me ages ago on here, but they seem to be either 0/24 or 24/24 and rarely anything in between. I could use some other decent servers on my list other than that lonely "gaf" server that never seems to have anynoe on it (log on earlier, damn colonials!)

Jangaroo

moojito said:
Are hats supposed to be obtainable as random drops, or only through crafting? The only one I have is the gibus, and I've put in nearly 80 hours now. That's a pretty harsh hats/hour ratio!

edit: Also, uk tf2 gaf types - what servers do you folks populate? I usually go on the hampshire heavies server as recommended to me ages ago on here, but they seem to be either 0/24 or 24/24 and rarely anything in between. I could use some other decent servers on my list other than that lonely "gaf" server that never seems to have anynoe on it (log on earlier, damn colonials!)
They're attainable through random drops or by crafting though if you only have the gibus, than I'm assuming you started playing within the year or so and missed out on the Cheater's Lament and stuff.

Yeef

moojito said:
They're obtainable through drops. That's how I got my Modest Pile of Hat. I vaguely recall reading on the steam forms that Every 4.5 hours or so you have a 1% chance of finding a hat. So, theoretically, you should find 1 hat for every 450 hours you play.

[Edit] Found the quote:
Every 15,430 seconds (4 hours, 17 minutes, and 10 seconds) you have a 1.1905% chance to receive a hat. These are the exact values used and is not something that was determined by using data collected from idlers.

Boonoo

On the subject of hat drops it should be noted that you are more or less able to craft a hat every 9 weeks (6-8 items a week, 54 items for a hat). 9 weeks would be a worst case scenario assuming an average of 1 hour a day.

Twig

Banned
I don't... think those drop rate times are true. Anymore. Isn't that old, from before they reworked the drop system?

Yeef

Twig said:
I don't... think those drop rate times are true. Anymore. Isn't that old, from before they reworked the drop system?
Maybe? I was under the impression that they'd only reworked the drop system for weapons but not hats.

Yeef

EvilMario said:
I hope the Holy Hand Grenade makes the 'Hallelujah!' sound that I grew so accustomed to in Worms Armageddon.
It doesn't. It makes a different, but similar sound.

There's a few things I don't like about Reloaded compared to the older games:

• The levels are smaller and there's only 4 worms per team.
  • They got rid of the back jump and the vertical jump.
  • Explosions don't seem to send worms flying as far and as often. The same goes for the melee stuff (Dragon Ball, Fire Punch and Prod)
  • The ninja rope is a lot less bouncy, so it's a lot harder to use some of the old tricks.

That's not to say it's a bad game. Some of the new weapons are great (Sentry Guns, Electromagnet, Super Bunker Buster). I've only played the campaign so far, so I'm not sure how they affect the competitive side.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I would appreciate knowing what console commands to use for TF2. I played for the first time last night, and it wasn't nearly as smooth on my computer as other Source engine games. I'm running at 1920x1080, I'm usually over 100fps, but even when I'm around 70fps it feels a little choppy when I pan around, unlike CS:S which is always buttery smooth. I've tried v-sync on/off, mouse smoothing on/off, and even setting all graphics on low doesn't effect performance. I had a ping of 20 in the server I joined.

Yasae

Banned
Mutagenic said:
I would appreciate knowing what console commands to use for TF2. I played for the first time last night, and it wasn't nearly as smooth on my computer as other Source engine games. I'm running at 1920x1080, I'm usually over 100fps, but even when I'm around 70fps it feels a little choppy when I pan around, unlike CS:S which is always buttery smooth. I've tried v-sync on/off, mouse smoothing on/off, and even setting all graphics on low doesn't effect performance. I had a ping of 20 in the server I joined.
Choppy? 90% chance it's some driver bug they introduced via an update.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Mutagenic said:

What are your specs? TF2/Portal/etc. will run worse than CS: S and other first gen Source games on older systems.

Javaman

There's a 181meg update being pushed out but nothing in the news. Anyone have an idea what it is?

Maybe an icon update? :eek:P

Edit: 2 Neogaf servers are showing up in the list again :lol

Jangaroo

Is Steam down for anyone else in here? My internet is fine but it says that there's no connection. And I was in a game with Nob too :(

Blizzard

Banned
I'd guess the update is the new hats and grenades for Worms.

Jangaroo said:
Is Steam down for anyone else in here? My internet is fine but it says that there's no connection. And I was in a game with Nob too :(
Yeah, it's down. I can't even get to the store from the client browser, though the normal web browser works. Silly Steam client.

Yasae

Banned
Jangaroo said:
Nobody cares about that. STEAM'S DOWN?!?!?!?!

Twig

Banned
cool i am now physically incapable of playing tf2 because of comcast (i am choosing to blame them - everyone else does)

Jangaroo

Hey now you look like Sam Fisher or something.

Yasae said:
Nobody cares about that. STEAM'S DOWN?!?!?!?!
Hey man, Worms Reloaded is SERIOUS BUSINESS.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Jangaroo said:

I had a client update and now "No Connection".

I also noticed my TF2 image in List view is different now.

Boonoo

On trick you can use to try and jog steam in to connecting is to go Games>Manage Gifts and Guest Passes. This will force a connection.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Spire said:
What are your specs? TF2/Portal/etc. will run worse than CS: S and other first gen Source games on older systems.
I have an AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 2.8GHz, Radeon HD 5870 1GB, 8GB RAM, and I'm getting down in the 30fps range on maps like Gorge in the open areas with huge firefights. It starts to become unplayable.

Blizzard

Banned
Mutagenic said:
I have an AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 2.8GHz, Radeon HD 5870 1GB, 8GB RAM, and I'm getting down in the 30fps range on maps like Gorge in the open areas with huge firefights. It starts to become unplayable.
I get the same sort of thing with big firefights, and it's presumably a CPU thing. Turning on dualcore rendering should make it better, but then again it might make it buggy/crashy. Try it and see if you don't have it on already, I guess?

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Blizzard said:
I get the same sort of thing with big firefights, and it's presumably a CPU thing. Turning on dualcore rendering should make it better, but then again it might make it buggy/crashy. Try it and see if you don't have it on already, I guess?
I wasn't sure if the dualcore setting was in reference to the GPU or CPU. Turning it on didn't seem to make much of a difference. I figured with a game that's been out for a couple years I'd get better performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom