• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

MNC

Yeef said:
Weird that Meet the Medic is coming next since they said awhile back that they were working on the Pyro and it would probably be next. Either way, more meet the team videos are great.

I play with weather effects off, so the blizzard machine doesn't interest me. The rest of that stuff does though. Meat Tongs look awesome.
Wah Wah what? Where did you read about this?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
In older interviews, I think they said they recorded several Meet the Medic videos, but weren't happy with how they came out. That, or had several script ideas they were contemplating.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So TF2 GAF, after all this work, I get my first hat drop. At about 157 hours played, and it's...

A Brigade Helm. After I craft a Respectless, pre-Mann Co. update, using 4 refined, then try hard to trade it for a Brigade Helm, which I eventually do, I get it in a drop afterwards.

FML.

tl;dr: Brigade Helm for sale/trade.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
So I finally "got the hang of" the Huntsman like everyone always said. If by "got the hang of" you mean "started having inordinately large amounts of fun with"

vanty

enzo_gt said:
So TF2 GAF, after all this work, I get my first hat drop. At about 157 hours played, and it's...

A Brigade Helm. After I craft a Respectless, pre-Mann Co. update, using 4 refined, then try hard to trade it for a Brigade Helm, which I eventually do, I get it in a drop afterwards.

FML.

For weeks I was trying to trade for a Brigade Helm, no one would do it. But about a week ago I finally found someone who would, cost me a purple Rubber Glove which I had crafted a few months earlier. But now I have a gold/yellow/whatever Brigade Helm and feel like a total pimp, so it's all worth it.

The_Technomancer said:
So I finally "got the hang of" the Huntsman like everyone always said. If by "got the hang of" you mean "started having inordinately large amounts of fun with"
I got the hang of it as well last night on Badwater. Stopped trying to aim and suddenly the homing arrow bullshit starts slamming into faces :lol Now I think it's even more overpowered than it was when I was only getting killed by it.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
enzo_gt said:

FML.

That was my first hat drop too. So nice :D

Blizzard

Banned
Does anyone know if pros use special commands for soldiers? Someone was asking me if I knew how to do something that the pros use, that is normally set to like 100 and pros set to 15, that apparently lets you fire rockets faster. o_O

Dirty haxing soldiers, should all be replaced with natascha-wielding heavies. :mad:

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
vanty said:
For weeks I was trying to trade for a Brigade Helm, no one would do it. But about a week ago I finally found someone who would, cost me a purple Rubber Glove which I had crafted a few months earlier. But now I have a gold/yellow/whatever Brigade Helm and feel like a total pimp, so it's all worth it.

I got the hang of it as well last night on Badwater. Stopped trying to aim and suddenly the homing arrow bullshit starts slamming into faces :lol Now I think it's even more overpowered than it was when I was only getting killed by it.

Aye, I tried to trade my Respectless for weeks too. Brigade Helm is definitely the best Pyro hat. Vintage Merryweather with Team Spirit is next best.

Blizzard said:
Does anyone know if pros use special com
mands for soldiers? Someone was asking me if I knew how to do something that the pros use, that is normally set to like 100 and pros set to 15, that apparently lets you fire rockets faster. o_O

Dirty haxing soldiers, should all be replaced with natascha-wielding heavies. :mad:
Probably a custom script for reload times, that differs per class. Currently I have my TF2 set to reload automatically, which can be pretty shitty for some classes when you don't want someone to reload automatically because it wastes time and can be the difference between life and death. Though these are very picky preferences pros go for.

SyNapSe

That seemed to knock a ton of servers in my favorites offline. wtf.

edit: Game is currently unavailable when I try to reenter now

Javaman

Forkball said:
TF2 is updating. Megaton incoming?

Team Fortress 2
Added Medieval Mode, a game mode where players are restricted to using olde weapons.
'Your Eternal Reward' changes:
Spies can now change their disguise weapon via 'lastdiguise' while using 'Your Eternal Reward'
Already-disguised 'Your Eternal Reward' Spies are no longer forced to switch to displaying the melee weapon when they make a kill
Spies no longer play speech lines when making a kill with 'Your Eternal Reward'
Sentries no longer track 'Your Eternal Reward' Spies after they backstab someone
'Natascha' changes:
Spin-up time increased.
Slowdown-on-hit effect is reduced over distance.
Added 'The Medi-eval Medic', 'The Hibernating Bear', and 'The Expert's Ordnance' item sets.
Added new weapons: 'The Claidheamohmor', 'The Back Scratcher', 'The Boston Basher', 'The Fists of Steel', 'The Amputator', 'The Crusader's Crossbow', 'The Ullapool Caber', 'The Loch-n-Load', 'The Buffalo Steak Sandvich', 'The Brass Beast', 'The Warrior's Spirit', 'The Candy Cane', and 'The Jag'.
Added 20 new hats.
Added a prototype item testing map, and associated functionality, for contributors to test their work. Further details in an upcoming blog post.
Spies can now see TargetID's of players and objects regardless of their own disguise status.
Fixed some speech lines continuing after the speaker changes class
The Spy 'Sap Auteur' achievement now increments in cases where the Spy was the assister in the building destruction.
Fixed the arrow burning effect getting stuck on if you changed class in a respawn room with your arrow lit.
Fixed a Flamethrower bug that allowed players to rapidly fake the Pyro's airblast effect.
Throwing the Jarate or Milk now returns you to your previous weapon, instead of your Primary.
Added leaderboard to track duel wins.
Added ability for players to donate money directly to the creators of their favorite community maps.
Increased backpack size by 100 slots.

SyNapSe

A. What's the new GAF server address.

B. What company releases updates at 7:45 p.m. Friday time. I realize Valve has worldwide obligations but that still seems a bizarre choice of time given that the update doesn't appear to be epic bugs or something that needed to be fixed asap

Yeef

enzo_gt said:
Probably a custom script for reload times, that differs per class. Currently I have my TF2 set to reload automatically, which can be pretty shitty for some classes when you don't want someone to reload automatically because it wastes time and can be the difference between life and death. Though these are very picky preferences pros go for.
Reloading has insta-cancel, so auto-reload shouldn't make a difference at all in timing.

Spy is the only class where auto-reload should be a hindrance since they can fake-reload when disguised to throw people off their scent.

[Edit] Updating the server now; should be up in a couple of minutes.

tf2.langui.sh is the server address for those of you that forget that somehow.

Saw the updates in another forum. It quickly became about hat bitching, jesus.

What's GAF server address?

And I got 2 festive crates, but ain't buying any key.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
"Slowdown-on-hit effect is reduced over distance."

Finally!!!

Everything else, yay?

Blizzard

Banned
Iadien said:
"Slowdown-on-hit effect is reduced over distance."

Finally!!!

Everything else, yay?
Yeah, not only are scouts invincible now :)p), but tonight we got a reminder of how fun melee is...I saw things like a demoman standing point blank in front of a taunting medic, and like one sword swing would miss and another one would hit. Heavies are even harder to hit at close range...I guess they're fat and yet have a small hitbox? The ways of melee are mysterious indeed.

Yeef

I got both Medic weapons, a new medic hat and the new Engineer wrench.

Medieval mode seems like it'd be better once everyone has all of the new weapons. Right now it's fun as a novelty for like 1 or 2 rounds, but after that it gets boring.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

5270008251_391061391e_b.jpg

5270616284_4180bc1b43_b.jpg

Blizzard

Banned
Thanks to people for trading me two of the weapons I needed. I think I only had ONE spare weapon that matched the crafting criteria, but at least I had some metal lying around.

The medic crossbow is the best thing ever, or will be as soon as they let it do headshots, make it do crits more often, and give it heat-seeking-missile ability against scouts. It makes me want to sit by myself and play sniper medic, instead of being remotely useful to my team. :lol It also makes me less survivable presumably since I can't heal myself with the vampire gun, but I have gotten a pyro or something killed once or twice by hitting a shot and having my teammates finish them off.

I also killed dog chasing cars in two shots from like 200 feet away because he stayed in the same place as a sniper. :lol I think it only maxes out at 58 damage though, unless it crits.

*edit* Medieval mode turns on a text chat filter to make text sound medieval, and restricts everyone to using melee weapons only (aside from the crossbows and huntsman). Everyone also drops a little healing bottle when they die.

Yeef

Twig said:
I don't get it. How does Medieval Mode work?
Medieval mode means you can only use weapons that could exist in medieval times (they do make an exception for the spy watch). For most classes it means melee only, but the Sniper can use the Huntsman and the Medic and heavy can can use their new weapons.

It's an interesting mode when you have all of the weapons because it completely changes up the balance of the game. Demoknights and Snipers pretty much dominate, but certain weapons that are normally ignore become favored and vice versa.

The only thing I don't like is that the Engineer is entirely useless. The one new weapon he has (the Jag) builds faster and does less damage to enemies, which is fine for real games, but awful for medieval mode.

[Edit] I like the way the demo castle map works and I hope we see more like it. it's a 3cp attack defend map, but the final point is completely impossible to get to (sans rocket jumps) until after you capture the first two, then you have a limited amount of time to capture the final point before the first two are reverted and the final one locked off again.

Blizzard

Banned
Yeef said:
Medieval mode means you can only use weapons that could exist in medieval times (they do make an exception for the spy watch). For most classes it means melee only, but the Sniper can use the Huntsman and the Medic and heavy can can use their new weapons.

It's an interesting mode when you have all of the weapons because it completely changes up the balance of the game. Demoknights and Snipers pretty much dominate, but certain weapons that are normally ignore become favored and vice versa.

The only thing I don't like is that the Engineer is entirely useless. The one new weapon he has (the Jag) builds faster and does less damage to enemies, which is fine for real games, but awful for medieval mode.
Did you ever verify if the heavy's new gun does work in medieval mode? Otherwise it's melee only besides the bows. >:p

Yeef

Blizzard said:
Did you ever verify if the heavy's new gun does work in medieval mode? Otherwise it's melee only besides the bows. >:p
No, but it probably does. PROBABLY.
Unless it doesn't.

Forkball

So this is the 28 quest hat:

Item_icon_Hat_of_Undeniable_Wealth_And_Respect.png

I'm sure it's worth spending tons of money on new games.

New update seems pretty interesting, but yeah, Medieval mode won't be fun until people get the new weapons. Some items seem to be directly designed to be most advantageous when in medieval mode, and some seem to be designed to be used only outside of medieval mode. The new hats are a mixed bag, some good, some bad. A lot seem to be slight variations to current hats. I wanted that Medic Stahlhelm but it's not part of the update.

And finally:

Update said:
Sentries no longer track 'Your Eternal Reward' Spies after they backstab someone
Finally. It didn't make any sense for them to kill you if they saw you before you got a disguise. The major perk of Your Eternal Reward is for you to do stuff undetected, so it sucks if you chase down someone, get noticed by a sentry, get a backstab a second later, but still get mowed down by the sentry.

Dreavus

My god, Le Party Phantom... I must obtain this as soon as possible. It's like someone was reading my mind for the most awesome hat possible and then put it into the game. :lol

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
The update has its ups and downs. The Medic with his new 'taunt that heals everyone 100 health nearby' is amazing, and his arrow gun might be useful in situations.

Heavy really enjoys the Fist of Metal (+60% damage against none melee weapons), and his new meat, but I feel the new gun is only good for camping and defense, while the Bear Claws give up too much (20 health) for the benefit (+30% damage).

Demoman's new pill launcher is amazing if you can aim, it has a ton of power, but most people will prefer the larger clip and the ability to spam. His melee weapon is 'fun' but that's about it. His new Sword (+0.5 critical charge time, -15 health) seemed useful before I traded it. Although I don't believe it collects heads.

Scout's Candy Cane is actually really useful, dropping mini-heals when he knocks someone out.

Apparently there's an Engie wrench that nows builds 30% faster too, and a Pyro rack that does.. something. Good update, Valve. Except for breaking almost every server with it.

Forkball

The Loch and Load is basically Direct Hit for Demomen. I can see it being useful for taking out specific sentries with ubers.

So after playing around a bit on Medieval mode (cp_degroot for those who can't find it), I must say it's pretty interesting how they incorporate the new items and make some of the old items useful. Some of the new items are ONLY useful in this mode (like the Pyro rake) while some are useless in this mode (new Engy wrench, which I actually got today). Some of the older items are actually pretty important, like the Razorback or even Darwin's Danger Shield. Snipers are vital and it's probably the only time you'll never hear, "too many snipers." Although spies are kind of useless since everyone is meleeing wildly at all times and most of the snipers have a Razorback equipped. The map itself is kind of a clusterfuck. No one tries to seriously defend the first two points since it's hard to get there in time, and instead just wait and battle it out on the last point. But this mode has a lot of potential and it's pretty hilarious.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I wonder how long till other maps get turned into "Medieval mode", and when someone will make the castle into a normal map.

Or is Medieval Mode a switch and not tied to the map?

Edit: Ah, I see, its a switch, and by default its on for the Castle. Got it.

Wonder what the current item set is going to get called by the community. Ether Christmas or Medieval will likely set in. I like how the number of items that can be had has been increased to 300, and you can buy even more space for $5 per 100 slots.

Blizzard

Banned
Drkirby said:
I wonder how long till other maps get turned into "Medieval mode", and when someone will make the castle into a normal map.

Or is Medieval Mode a switch and not tied to the map?
It's just a server setting(s) that enables the text filter, weapon restrictions, and med bottle dropping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom