• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT4| Official Halo Thread of Polearms and High Fashion

Sianos

That wasn't very nice, NSQuote. :/
If you mean about Grimm's birthday wishes from the last page, I'm hope his birthday isn't
grimm :U
Aren't I clever? (yes, I am)

If you mean something else I've said or done that has slipped my mind, press one and leave a message after the tone.

Good lord that was rough. But we were able to do wave 7 in one try :D

23362B65010A54C34EE807B89977E064784BE0B5

BD564A745BDEA37386DC70F3FB61E08E52774CA6

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Good lord that was rough. But we were able to do wave 7 in one try :D
I wonder if having a Heavy would have helped a lot.
Oh well, skill and spamming Uber canteens to airblast things trumps all.
PSA for anyone interested in competitive TF2, especially the 9v9 format: There's going to be a showmatch between the best Highlander team from Europe (SNSD) and the current #1 North American team in UGC Platinum (The Syndicate) on Sunday 10/14 at 3:15 PM EST.

Here's all the info - http://www.vanillatf2.org/2012/10/eu-v-na-highlander-showmatch-snsd-v-the-syndicate-live-tonight/

It'll be streamed live by VanillaTV - http://www.vanillatf2.org/vanillatv/
Cheers, want to watch for their production and camera control.

Sianos

Congratulations to the people who struggled on through without me. I doubt anyone is willing to redo that. :U

I probably won't have an excess of time that isn't devoted to Foxhound for a while, so I guess for now I'll sell my tickets.

The Janky Bunch!

Our match schedule for 10/15 finally went up... we're playing Swiftwater against some guys named The Barking Spiders. They also played (and mostly lost) during the summer season and are currently 2-2 for S8.

Since Nihon can't play on Monday, we're gonna have to shuffle Steve over to Pyro duties for this week.

Scout - DJ Crimson
Soldier - Rickenslacker
Pyro - SteveWinwood
Demoman - ExMachina
Heavy - Blizzard
Engineer - thefro
Medic - Javaman
Sniper - Capndrake
Spy - Matt

Let me know if you're on this list and you can't make it so I can find someone to fill in.

Headed back from NY tonight, but give 'em hell, Winwood and fellow Janky Bunch members. I should be back next week for regular pyroing duties now that NYCC is all done. :)

How's practice been for Swiftwater, btw? Any questions on the map I can answer? I noticed they removed the sniper nest right outside spawn so you won't have to worry about that. A lot of the changes are really cosmetic or just opening the map up a bit more. Watch for them to build a Sentry nest right beyond the first checkpoint in that tunnel section (it's a massive chokepoint that they can really slow you down on, so don't try to clear it without Matt sapping from behind or an Uber) and make sure you keep Javaman safe until he is charged up. You might want to consider the regular Uber, Java, for this map as there's a lot of blind corners that make good Sentry spots. Plus, you'll need it to clear the final point from Sentries, Heavies and shit.

Drake... well, we played this enough on 2f2f that you should know what to do. :)

On defense, remember that the spawn room for Red is in the middle of the map and has multiple exits: near Point B in the back, directly outside of Point C and directly above the final point.

On the last point, it is recessed into the ground. Don't try to pick it off from the covered bridge: you will probably die. If you can control the area above the last point (Fro, this might mean you sneaking in a Sentry up there) then they really can't stop your push. Consequently, on D, don't let them get anything set up there. When we used to play the regular version of this, we had to put in an Engie limit on the map because it's a completely campable final point.

Be sure, for pete's sake, to keep an eye above you. There are so many places to jump down from on this map that you will likely at some point be attacked from up there. I know; I do this all the time playing Pyro on this map.

I think they fixed this but you used to be able to hide stickies under the second checkpoint. In fact, I'm sure they fixed the clipping issues on that.

Be wary that there are some nice long corridors prime for sniping at spawn, the second checkpoint and pushing up the hill toward the last checkpoint.

Foxhound, stop looking at these notes.
Just kidding. You can.

Let's see, what else. Oh, the ditch near spawn that the cart path crosses over is a nice place to cause aggravation because you can airblast folks on the cart from below and they don't always bother to look down.

Javaman

Headed back from NY tonight, but give 'em hell, Winwood and fellow Janky Bunch members. I should be back next week for regular pyroing duties now that NYCC is all done. :)

How's practice been for Swiftwater, btw? Any questions on the map I can answer? I noticed they removed the sniper nest right outside spawn so you won't have to worry about that. A lot of the changes are really cosmetic or just opening the map up a bit more. Watch for them to build a Sentry nest right beyond the first checkpoint in that tunnel section (it's a massive chokepoint that they can really slow you down on, so don't try to clear it without Matt sapping from behind or an Uber) and make sure you keep Javaman safe until he is charged up. You might want to consider the regular Uber, Java, for this map as there's a lot of blind corners that make good Sentry spots. Plus, you'll need it to clear the final point from Sentries, Heavies and shit.

Drake... well, we played this enough on 2f2f that you should know what to do. :)

On defense, remember that the spawn room for Red is in the middle of the map and has multiple exits: near Point B in the back, directly outside of Point C and directly above the final point.

On the last point, it is recessed into the ground. Don't try to pick it off from the covered bridge: you will probably die. If you can control the area above the last point (Fro, this might mean you sneaking in a Sentry up there) then they really can't stop your push. Consequently, on D, don't let them get anything set up there. When we used to play the regular version of this, we had to put in an Engie limit on the map because it's a completely campable final point.

Be sure, for pete's sake, to keep an eye above you. There are so many places to jump down from on this map that you will likely at some point be attacked from up there. I know; I do this all the time playing Pyro on this map.

I think they fixed this but you used to be able to hide stickies under the second checkpoint. In fact, I'm sure they fixed the clipping issues on that.

Be wary that there are some nice long corridors prime for sniping at spawn, the second checkpoint and pushing up the hill toward the last checkpoint.

Foxhound, stop looking at these notes.
Just kidding. You can.

Let's see, what else. Oh, the ditch near spawn that the cart path crosses over is a nice place to cause aggravation because you can airblast folks on the cart from below and they don't always bother to

look down.

Great stuff Nihon. Yeah, I'm definitely going uber medic for this one on offensive. I need to figure out the flanking paths for the final cp. It's sometimes hard to take out the nest above the point from below even with an uber. Chances are the eng is going to be camping it and constantly hitting the sentry. We'll have to figure out the best way to flank it on the same level. I'll probably use kritz for most of the defensive unless you guys want me to do otherwise. (To take out a forward offensive nest) krit can do so much more to mess them up if we catch them around a corner. You guys want to practice the map tonight?

That's a great idea about putting an offensive sentry on the yard/platform before the final cp. You can keep your tele relatively safe on the lower level behind you and the sentry should keep them locked in theirr base.

Quote this to see where I like to put my sentry guns. Red is for the sentry. Green is full ammo packs.

Edit: I've added yellow lines where the engineer needs protection from flanking classes.

Sianos

Considering the fact that searching Foxhound and highlander related terms brings up this thread as one of the first results, hiding our plans from sleuthing eyes is a very wise move.

On that note, I haven't found any intel on Swole Patrol, no standout players as far as I can see. I'm confident that as long as we coordinate with East's comms we'll have another decisive victory.

thefro

Good stuff from Nihon & Pangloss. Should be able to add a couple things to my strategy from that.

What I'd add is this seems to be a pretty good map to bail out with your sentry with all the flank routes if you get an opening.

Considering the fact that searching Foxhound and highlander related terms brings up this thread as one of the first results, hiding our plans from sleuthing eyes is a very wise move.

On that note, I haven't found any intel on Swole Patrol, no standout players as far as I can see. I'm confident that as long as we coordinate with East's comms we'll have another decisive victory.

Private messaging the team might be best (for those on GAF).

Good stuff from Nihon & Pangloss. Should be able to add a couple things to my strategy from that.

What I'd add is this seems to be a pretty good map to bail out with your sentry with all the flank routes if you get an opening.

If the gun looks like it is going down, then I try to just take my dispenser and set up on the next point. And you need to get some of your team into those buildings. That is where most of the flanking comes from.

Sianos

I'll focus on doing what highlander Soldiers always do, but if anyone needs my assistance at a flank or to do anything just give me a call and I'll do it. I'll put a few details in the secret quote place now:

Sianos

PC4ca.jpg

Swiftwater is my new favorite map.

I particularly like the slideshow of the "plot" of Swiftwater in the Blu spawn room.

I'd say it's one of my favorite Payload map. I'm not a huge fan of the mode in general, and like all Payloads the last point isn't great, but it has quite a few flank routes and open areas that are fun to fight through.

thefro

No part of swiftwater is good for scout. This needs to be done, because I'm getting worse at the class just by playing on it.

MS5E5.png

This is just a map where you need a running buddy.

Spy will work too if you don't want to push the cart (or on D).

It's basically all choke points and more open areas, so you'll have to make your own flanks off anyone/anything who's going to draw more attention than you.

After watching that Platinum match and our scrims I've updated my map. Red is sentry spots on defense. Blue is teleporter exits on offense. Green is full ammo packs (they are near there, hard to be detailed on a 2D map of a 3D area). Yellow is how defense can flank the sentries. Quote to see.

Also, it would help me if two classes suicide on the first point to get their guns for metal. I think the Platinum did it by having their Pyro and Scout go to team spectator and then rejoining at the first sentry spot.

thefro

Also, it would help me if two classes suicide on the first point to get their guns for metal. I think the Platinum did it by having their Pyro and Scout go to team spectator and then rejoining at the first sentry spot.

Agreed on that... it's a longer walk from spawn to the first point than most maps and pretty hard to drop all your buildings & upgrade the sentry to a level 3 in time unless some people suicide.

I guess ideally Solider whips Engineer out to the end of the tunnel, suicides, tele exit dropped. Solider takes teleporter to the the end of the tunnel (and can switch to whatever loadout they want to run). Engy grabs ammo pack, drops sentry, another class suicides, drop dispenser, pick up full ammo pack, upgrade sentry to level 2, pick up full ammo pack again, upgrade sentry to level 3.

Should have enough time at that point to get the dispenser up to Level 2/3 before the enemies can push in.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
The Janky Bunch! Info recap for tonight's match.

Playing pl_swiftwater_ugc (click for download link) at 9:30 PM EST against The Barking Spiders.

Server is the Jank with the same password as always. Quote if you need a reminder.

Roster:
  • Scout - DJ Crimson
  • Soldier - Rickenslacker
  • Pyro - SteveWinwood
  • Demoman - ExMachina
  • Heavy - Blizzard
  • Engineer - thefro
  • Medic - Javaman
  • Sniper - Capndrake
  • Spy - Matt

We got this. B) Good luck to FOX as well!

Javaman

Most of the good sentry spots are going to be a bit out of range for a offensive uber + pyro/heavy/soldier to take out, so it's going to be up to you Exmachina. If they build on the platform above cp2 our best bet is to flank from the right tunnel. Steve, with those good sentry spots you're going to be critical in holding their ubers back. Assuming you can keep those ubers back and spies down I'm thinking it'll be an easy win. Are we going to meet up before the game and look at sentry spots?

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Most of the good sentry spots are going to be a bit out of range for a offensive uber + pyro/heavy/soldier to take out, so it's going to be up to you Exmachina. If they build on the platform above cp2 our best bet is to flank from the right tunnel. Steve, with those good sentry spots you're going to be critical in holding their ubers back. Assuming you can keep those ubers back and spies down I'm thinking it'll be an easy win. Are we going to meet up before the game and look at sentry spots?

I'm ready to spam at sentries when you are! :p Though if the engy's wrangling, we'll need other classes to focus it down too, or make sure the spy saps/sniper picks the engy.

I'll be online after dinner (which I am eating now!) till the match time... can host a listen server for us to just walk around the map and talk strategy, so if any of The Janky Bunch is online early I might bug you into joining. It'd be good to plan out our pushes a bit (show routes for not only the main push with uber but also where flanking classes would go) beforehand, since it seems like offense gets really punished for being disorganized on this map.

Javaman

I'm ready to spam at sentries when you are! :p Though if the engy's wrangling, we'll need other classes to focus it down too, or make sure the spy saps/sniper picks the engy.

I'll be online after dinner (which I am eating now!) till the match time... can host a listen server for us to just walk around the map and talk strategy, so if any of The Janky Bunch is online early I might bug you into joining. It'd be good to plan out our pushes a bit (show routes for not only the main push with uber but also where flanking classes would go) beforehand, since it seems like offense gets really punished for being disorganized on this map.

Yeah, I definitely want to look at the flank routes carefully for the final CP to counter a couple of their sentry placements.

Quote for SUPERSECRET Jankybunch tactic.

Top Bottom