• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT4| Official Halo Thread of Polearms and High Fashion

Javaman

Demo. Soldier should be whipping the rest of the team out to mid.

I tried to watch those videos but they were boring as hell. I don't know that they'll help much anyway since everyone and their mamma are going to be trying/expecting those tactics. I think we could do better working out our own strategies since we know our own limitations. I'm always open to suggestions from you guys how you want me to play medic. Kritz seemed to work pretty well. By charging on the way to the point and a little boost by self damaging classes we hit the point right as the kritz charged in time to blow away a small chunk of their team. After that I can switch up to whatever. TheFro, I'm not sure what tactics you're going to use but I recommend being conservative with your tele. After we cap a point, leave the tele behind so it'll be much easier to recap the point back if we lose it. It's a bitch keeping teles up anyways on Granary since the points move around so much. This is especially true after you cap point 4. The spawn is super close to their base as it is so a tele from spawn to 4 won't make much difference. If you leave it at our upper spawn from cp2 going to somewhere at cp3 it'll make capping 4 again a breeze.

I'm an ex-Morman. As a kid we got to play video games but couldn't drink anything with Caffeine.

Was a "Morman" who couldn't drink caffeine as a child but has since rebelled against his upbringing and now wears the mantle Javaman. Hadn't pegged you for much of a rebel, Javaman.

Javaman

Don't listen to Javaman's secret tactics. He'll have you using the quickfix and saying it's great for pushing points! :^P

That reminds me, the quick fix is GREAT for pushing the last point. Autowin, especially with the superfast cap speed. The only thing that can go wrong is a demo mining it.
probably stick with uber or kritz for the last point though since it's so easy to lose point 4. I'd hate to be stuck with a quickfix if that happens.

Are we going to meet up on the jank early for pregame strats?

That reminds me, the quick fix is GREAT for pushing the last point. Autowin, especially with the superfast cap speed. The only thing that can go wrong is a demo mining it.
probably stick with uber or kritz for the last point though since it's so easy to lose point 4. I'd hate to be stuck with a quickfix if that happens.

Are we going to meet up on the jank early for pregame strats?

I'll pregame your strat.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
I am down for pre-game strat discussion - seemed to work well for Swiftwater. We can hop on the Jank or I can set up a listen server again, whatever you guys prefer.

Everyone be sure to turn off in-game notification pop-ups before the match. :p

thefro

we lose thanks to Javaman running Kritz

- Actual post-mortem... great match, very even teams in this map. Went to OT tied 4-4 and they won. Big thing we need to work on is 1) where to regroup if we wipe, and 2) calling out where they are. I really had no idea where they were most of the time or where we were regrouping, and when we did regroup there'd be people up ahead pushing trying to cap the point and be the hero. Then I'd assume there were people in front of me and move up and get destroyed by their whole team working together. Also probably someone should be the designated caller.

In the future, if we see someone like their sniper who is really good, we need to focus-fire them, and we all need to push in at once if we're trying to get to mid quickly. I'd say our mid-rollout definitely need a lot of work.

5CP is definitely the hardest thing to do in HL.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Super close match... so well fought, GAF/STEVE/Super GAF.

I'm sorry I crashed and didn't deny them entrance on Mid better. :(

Blizzard

Banned
I knew we should've taken the forfeit when we could've! Marked for death hacks!!1
The marked for death thing was actually super annoying...their heavy started with GRU (which is good since it meant I could kill him because of minicrits), but then the effect lasted every single round after that, 100% of the time, so you'd shoot him for like 5-8 seconds straight of heavy fire, only to realize that he had 450 medic overheal and was NOT marked for death despite the indicator over his head.

I felt like we got crushed overall -- some rounds were very close, but really only if we got the middle or 4th point. If I recall correctly every time the other team got our 4th point, it was a steamroll after that. It is super difficult to come back there before their team has respawned and/or teleported in.

I also didn't practice and I got backstabbed like 6 times in a row in the same spot when I would push out, so I apologize.

Clearly their team was steel-worthy, smurfing. Next season we gotta go bronze!

The marked for death thing was actually super annoying...their heavy started with GRU (which is good since it meant I could kill him because of minicrits), but then the effect lasted every single round after that, 100% of the time, so you'd shoot him for like 5-8 seconds straight of heavy fire, only to realize that he had 450 medic overheal and was NOT marked for death despite the indicator over his head.
I generally drop my spaghetti against a heavy medic combo but I gotta admit a couple of my deaths were directly in result of being confident that I'd mini-crit him to death to no avail. I didn't even notice it was a bug until about half-way through the match.

Reflecting back on it I think I could've been more aggressive. I was holding out with Java a lot to build meter after the first charge but I think I could've made some leeways bombing mid after a couple attempts later in the game. Their Pyro was good at reflecting on reaction though, and it would stop me from a few attempts at picking off their Medic. I'm also trying to go without viewmodels on RL and shotgun now so I need to be more aware of my current rocket count.

Overall though, yeah the mid was the pivotal point against us. Once they got that it was difficult to make a comeback. We were going to one time but then half-time happened. :p

Eh, I know I did awful tonight, so I'm sorry about that, Janky Bunch. I should have been a lot higher up the leaderboards and not been getting killed so often.

I had a bunch of these and now dog can finally be right about calling me a fatass.
the mini ones, not the full-size ones.
article-york-peppermint-pattie.jpg

Bluth54

The TF2 team updated the beta about an hour ago. They must be burning the midnight oil working on the Halloween update (and updating the beta instead for some reason).

DogWelder

2:49 AM - FatCatAttack: the petting zoo is like the only attraction of quality at the jackson fair
2:49 AM - FatCatAttack: and the pig races
2:49 AM - FatCatAttack: once i screwed over the pig race because i bought corn before i went in and the best pig stopped and stared at me instead of crossing the finish line

2:49 AM - FatCatAttack: the petting zoo is like the only attraction of quality at the jackson fair
2:49 AM - FatCatAttack: and the pig races
2:49 AM - FatCatAttack: once i screwed over the pig race because i bought corn before i went in and the best pig stopped and stared at me instead of crossing the finish line

I like to imagine there's a very angry farm hand with overalls, hairy arms, and a straw hat who wants Fatty dead because he had money on that pig.

Top Bottom