• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT4| Official Halo Thread of Polearms and High Fashion

What's all this about then

OKdJ7.png

Liquidsnake1010

Neo Member
Scrim tonight against another silver team. If anyone from the Janky Bunch can ring for us on Medic, Hoovy, and maybe demo that would be much obliged. Scrim is at 10pm EST. I KNOW YOU ARE READING THIS KURO.

Blizzard

Banned
Scrim tonight against another silver team. If anyone from the Janky Bunch can ring for us on Medic, Hoovy, and maybe demo that would be much obliged. Scrim is at 10pm EST. I KNOW YOU ARE READING THIS KURO.
I can probably be home by 10 p.m. and play heavy if you still need one. You're solidsnake, right? I'll IM you.

I'm pretty sure he means newcomers are outcasted. I wasn't a gaffer when I started playing with you all, but it was nice to play with you guys since the server was all talkative. If you had mumble going on and I didn't know about it, I probably wouldn't play as often.
I can see this happening. It's a bummer for the newer blood.

As for me, I don't really care; I'm random about when I feel like talking in TF2. I'll admit it is nice to listen to GAF chatter since it makes me laugh, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get on Mumble just to listen in and not talk (that's weird to me. It would make me feel like a voyeur or something). I'm generally fine with no discussion since I always have music playing, anyway. I also admit that talking by yourself when there's a whole room of others listening in but not replying is entertaining. Reverse vouyerism!?

Also, the first time I went on a few days ago, I couldn't see my overlay and had no idea who was in the room after a while. I remember yelling something out to someone, but didn't know if they were in the room or not, and I saw that as a bit of an issue for me. Mainly because I brainfarted with my key bindings for push-to-talk, so there's hope for the future, I guess.

Yeef

I disagree. One could argue that Mumble makes the community stronger. I can't see how you can make the argument that Mumble makes for less people playing on the server for shorter periods of time when once we get people going in Mumble, the server pretty much fills right away and 95% of the people on the server are GAFers and are on my friends list. You can't say Mumble creates an insular community when there's very little barrier to entry, if you're willing to ignore the fact that GAF itself is pretty much a gated community, plus there's no reason someone can't join mumble.
This is a contradiction. Thanks for agreeing with me. :p

As for GAF being a gated community: there's no requirement to actually be a GAFer to play on the server or be a server regular. Plenty of people who weren't GAF-members played on the server as regulars (many of them ended up becoming GAF members down the line). Metaphorically, Artistdude, egallagher(?) and I think even yourself.

If people are playing past midnight on the server and using mumble, I can't see how you can say it's doing anything bad. Besides, shooting the shit on Mumble after playing is great. We wouldn't be able to ask Assi loaded calculus questions, hear some Spaceboy impressions, or explain the Electoral College to Snake otherwise. Excuse me for not confining my social interaction to limited voice chat within tf2.
I have no problem with dicking around in mumble or being social after the fact. honestly, the ideal solution would be a TF2 plugin that integrated mumble chat into the game so that when you left the server you were still connected to the mumble server. But since no such plugin exists (as far as I know) I think it's better to use the in-game voice chat.

For jank, it doesn't matter. For any team match it does matter...especially given how idiotic some players are with spy checks.
But we're, very specifically, talking about the Jank and other pub games. Try to keep track of the conversation thread, silly Canadian!

Artistdude no longer exists.
Exactly the point. Players shuffle out all the time. Artistdude, n0b, Twig, Metaphorically, Drkirby, Technomancer, Yasae, Yeoz, Sciz, Jangaroo, Nabs, Oreo, Remy and tons of other players that used to play regularly don't play at all anymore. Even Javaman stopped playing for a long stretch for awhile. I don't play much right now either. The way to keep the server going is by replacing the old blood with new blood. If everyone's on mumble it makes it much less likely that new blood will stick around, because there's little to differentiate it from any other pub server.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
But we're, very specifically, talking about the Jank and other pub games. Try to keep track of the conversation thread, silly Canadian!

Exactly the point. Players shuffle out all the time. Artistdude, n0b, Twig, Metaphorically, Drkirby, Technomancer, Yasae, Yeoz, Sciz, Jangaroo, Nabs, Oreo, Remy and tons of other players that used to play regularly don't play at all anymore. Even Javaman stopped playing for a long stretch for awhile. I don't play much right now either. The way to keep the server going is by replacing the old blood with new blood. If everyone's on mumble it makes it much less likely that new blood will stick around, because there's little to differentiate it from any other pub server.

artist is still around, but not enough players on jank.
N0b disappeared, meh.
Twig is busy, I believe.
Meta doesn't play on our server due to ping though.
Drkirby, I dunno.
Tech just disappeared.
Yasae is around and may go on if you bug him.
Yeoz just idles.
Scizzy is busy.
Jangy plays other stuff.
Nabs hasn't been on in awhile.
Oreo has been on a bit.
Remy hasn't been on in a awhile.

Traffic isn't lower due to chat though. No big updates recently. A few probably just got tired of it. A few have a lot of games to play. Server will be full for Halloween.

Yeef

artist is still around, but not enough players on jank.
N0b disappeared, meh.
Twig is busy, I believe.
Meta doesn't play on our server due to ping though.
Drkirby, I dunno.
Tech just disappeared.
Yasae is around and may go on if you bug him.
Yeoz just idles.
Scizzy is busy.
Jangy plays other stuff.
Nabs hasn't been on in awhile.
Oreo has been on a bit.
Remy hasn't been on in a awhile.

Traffic isn't lower due to chat though. No big updates recently. A few probably just got tired of it. A few have a lot of games to play. Server will be full for Halloween.
The reasons why specific people aren't around is irrelevant. Everyone will leave eventually for one reason or another, but if new people are coming in as regulars to replace them then it's not a big deal. The problem comes when old people start leaving and new people aren't coming to replace them. I can't remember the last new person that's joined and stuck around.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
The reasons why specific people aren't around is irrelevant. Everyone will leave eventually for one reason or another, but if new people are coming in as regulars to replace them then it's not a big deal. The problem comes when old people start leaving and new people aren't coming to replace them. I can't remember the last new person that's joined and stuck around.

you concerned about traffic? you never seemed to worry about it before. it's not like you advertise the server or anything. most people, i believe, come through people on our friend's list. i don't think a search on internet games will have your server pop up.

DJ Crimson is still around...probably more, but I haven't been on myself lately.

I took a break from TF2, and when I came back, I was playing awful. Playing on the Jank made me so frustrated. :D

Also, when y'all started doing these leagues/scrims and what nots, I was worried the server became nofun.jpg.

Yeef

you concerned about traffic? you never seemed to worry about it before. it's not like you advertise the server or anything. most people, i believe, come through people on our friend's list. i don't think a search on internet games will have your server pop up.
I don't care about traffic in a "server must be full 24/7 with random players" sort of way. It's about balancing quality and quantity of players. I don't want a million uninteresting players (or worse, annoying players) flooding the server, but it's always nice to find new people who fit in. Part of the draw of the GAF server, over most other servers, is the silliness and the conversation. If cool, new people don't get that experience we might miss out.

I admit, I'm partially to blame too, since I rarely use my mic anymore. Most days I'm so tired from work (and busy with other things) that I don't want to play at all, but then I get 3 or 4 people inviting me and I feel obligated.

DJ Crimson is still around...probably more, but I haven't been on myself lately.
DJ Crimson isn't a person. He's a knife with a scout attached to it.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I don't care about traffic in a "server must be full 24/7 with random players" sort of way. It's about balancing quality and quantity of players. I don't want a million uninteresting players (or worse, annoying players) flooding the server, but it's always nice to find new people who fit in. Part of the draw of the GAF server, over most other servers, is the silliness and the conversation. If cool, new people don't get that experience we might miss out.

I admit, I'm partially to blame too, since I rarely use my mic anymore. Most days I'm so tired from work (and busy with other things) that I don't want to play at all, but then I get 3 or 4 people inviting me and I feel obligated.

DJ Crimson isn't a person. He's a knife with a scout attached to it.
Oh bitch bitch bitch

How are these new people supposed to find the server then? And again, chat has nothing to do with it, and snacks doesn't even use his mic so he can stay shaddap as well.

You complain about lack of good quality people on the server, but nothing is done to get them. What do you expect?

Plus all you shitheads like Shitower.

Don't get me wrong; I appreciate e work and money you put in, but what do you expect? They aren't going to magically appear...speaking of which where the fuck DID Dj Crimson come from?

This is a contradiction. Thanks for agreeing with me. :p.

You misinterpret me. I friend people who regularly play on the server, and as it turns out, most of them are gaffers. Implying that our, let's call it, our "random retention rate" is crucial to the vitality of the server isn't necessarily true. I think it's more likely that most of the people who play on the server are either already GAF members who want to play TF2 or friends of people who are regulars on the server. The only random that has stuck around lately that I can think of is Fatcat but I'd sooner attribute that to the slightly more competitive nature of the server than our witty and slightly charming banter.

Also, there's no reason TF2 chat and Mumble are mutually exclusive. If someone tries to talk on the server, he's not going to get shunned and ignored by every just because they're in mumble.

Yeef

The reason I stopped joining Jank games is actually because of Kaijudo.
We all know the truth.

Oh bitch bitch bitch

How are these new people supposed to find the server then? And again, chat has nothing to do with it, and snacks doesn't even use his mic so he can stay shaddap as well.

You complain about lack of good quality people on the server, but nothing is done to get them. What do you expect?

Plus all you shitheads like Shitower.

Don't get me wrong; I appreciate e work and money you put in, but what do you expect? They aren't going to magically appear...speaking of which where the fuck DID Dj Crimson come from?
They did magically appear, up until recently (the last year or so I'd say). It could just be TF2 itself waning. That thought's crossed my mind. Could also be that matchmaking is a thing now, so people don't bother with the server browser or this thread.

I do agree that playing the same 3 or 4 maps every night gets tiring, though. Even as much as I like High Tower and Gorge (and hate Jankyard).

Also, there's no reason TF2 chat and Mumble are mutually exclusive. If someone tries to talk on the server, he's not going to get shunned and ignored by every just because they're in mumble.
Sure they are. Just ask ClassyPenguin.

How can you people complain about hightower when there are worse maps like hoodoo or thunder mountain that rarely have any fun games? A fun hightower game is like bi-weekly, a good hoodoo or thunder mountain is like bi-annual.

Blizzard

Banned
How can you people complain about hightower when there are worse maps like hoodoo or thunder mountain that rarely have any fun games? A fun hightower game is like bi-weekly, a good hoodoo or thunder mountain is like bi-annual.
I like hoodoo and thunder mountain because I like payload. The problem is people who like soldier and scout, since those classes are tailored to game modes like capture the flag, or hightower deathmatch, or capture-the-point.

If we got rid of those evil players it would be a happier day!

Fuck Hightower. Fuck it. Just fuck that shitty map. Every single goddamned time I have ever joined the Jank, it's always been Hightower. Every. Single. Fucking. Time. Nobody ever bothers to change it either. When enough people actually DID make a big enough stink to change the map, it was either nominated right away, or other people whined and cried enough so that it went back to the status quo. "Oh just use the voting system." The voting system never fucking works, because someone always bitches when Payload isn't being played.

I've long since come to the realization that the Jank server is a Hightower server, which is why I'm never there anymore. Not like it matters since the voice of the people who don't like the map don't matter at all.

Thundermountain would be one of the best maps. It just takes far too long for one team to finish, and then you realize you have to do it all over again from the other side.
And then you get autobalanced.

Hightower is good for soldier, scout, demoman, and probably engineer, and much bigger than the koth maps. It was also one of the primary caberman maps, and there would be sticky jumping caberman jousts at the start of the round.

Hoodoo is atrocious. It's from a different time, a time that should be forgotten.

You have to learn what maps to nominate. Try cp_warmfront.

FatCat is an anomaly. I've played on what I think is his regular server for a year, and didn't even notice he was in the GAF server. I probably didn't even realize which server I knew him from for a while.

Yeef

I love Hightower and really don't get why everyone else hates it so much. Because the matches can drag out?
I love Hightower too.

But I also love Watermill and Mill and Moonshine and lots of other maps that we never play. Maybe I'll go back to making Tuesdays rotation nights so that we play some other maps.

Bluth54

It's because they're custom maps and it's really hard to get the Jank to vote for custom maps.

I think Hightower is pretty good, but I would rather play one round of it then two. It seems like it goes on forever when we play two rounds.

Forkball

Merasmus is modeled in the Wizardcon link, so it's pretty safe to say he will appear in game (as if the comic wasn't enough evidence). I also wouldn't doubt a raccoon/ostrich pet for Soldier.

So my question to you all is

ARE

YOU

READY

TO

GRIND?

With my new work schedule, and my addiction to Diablo 3, and a more steady girlfriend, I've become too busy to play TF2. :(

TF2-GAF is an awesome community, and when I get the urge to play a FPS again, I'll be back. I haven't even loaded TF2 since the end of August I believe. =/

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
The Janky Bunch!

We're home team this week, playing koth_pro_viaduct_rc3 against sOOper friends. Another team that also played during S7, their current record is 3-3.

They've asked if we can play on Tuesday at 9:30 PM EST instead of Monday... let me know your availability/thoughts.

Top Bottom