• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT4| Official Halo Thread of Polearms and High Fashion

thefro

I'll make sure to get a mic for next time I play a Highlander game as Engineer. You can't type and build stuff at the same time.

and really know the maps... have probably only played cp_steel 3 times before tonight.
Most of my TF2 hours are in Payload/CTF.

Yeef

We're going to have to re-balance from now on after all of the alts have been swapped in. Blu team had a massive advantage, points-wise, and of course they ended up winning all three maps.

Also, noticed there was an update for HLStats, so before updating I checked all the new images to make sure they didn't overwrite the images I had already custom-made and it turns out they're using the images I made. Obviously, they must realize that I'm the best.

Also, this:
A5F87C2F4D7BEA8FE662745EF62F34FBE64A2605

sixghost

We're going to have to re-balance from now on after all of the alts have been swapped in. Blu team had a massive advantage, points-wise, and of course they ended up winning all three maps.

Also, noticed there was an update for HLStats, so before updating I checked all the new images to make sure they didn't overwrite the images I had already custom-made and it turns out they're using the images I made. Obviously, they must realize that I'm the best.

Also, this:

How accurate are those values anyway though? Clodius has one of the lowest, but is one of the better players on the server.

Soka did a really good job as sniper too, nice shooting.

Steve Winwood's face is like a magnet for my huntsman

I'm pretty sure we'll be fighting wars over Steve Winwood's face with China one day because we'll find out his face is made out of some rare magnetic earth metal that attracts everything and the world will want to harvest it and use it for vital electronic components.

The maps we played were pretty useless for Scouts to really have any effectiveness (except for cp_badlands. Steel is no good for Scouts. Was at the bottom of the scoreboard for Barnblitz and Steel. Felt kind of useless to be honest.

I could tell Red Engi was going to have a problem :( Me and Steve and a LOL moment on Steel E point.

How accurate are those values anyway though? Clodius has one of the lowest, but is one of the better players on the server.

Nah, compared to you and the usuals, I'm pretty average. I just happen to spend the most time on the Jank compared to everyone else lol

Bluth54

When do you guys play highlander? I have most of next week off, I could actually play some highlander for the first time ever next week!

Honestly, I was doing horrible. The funniest part was that I always hit you. Seriously, you were easily 75% of my kills for the night. It was just how the cards fell I think.

There is (or at least used to be) a semi-secret GAF Brony server run by some other guy. He PM'd me once asking for help with some admin-related stuff.
It wasn't really that secret, they were pretty open in the PonyGAF topic about using it every Saturday. Dunno if they still do.

Blizzard

Banned
One thing I like about highlander is the aspect of strategy it adds because of (aside from dead ringer) knowing when classes are alive.

If I see the enemy sniper get sniped, then I know I have more leeway to charge out as a heavy. If I see the enemy medic go down, then everyone knows they can push forward without the risk of an immediate uber. And everyone knows there's at most one sentry and one teleporter, and if we can take THOSE out, there aren't more hidden surprises, or nests of 4 engineers.

Proven

One thing I like about highlander is the aspect of strategy it adds because of (aside from dead ringer) knowing when classes are alive.

If I see the enemy sniper get sniped, then I know I have more leeway to charge out as a heavy. If I see the enemy medic go down, then everyone knows they can push forward without the risk of an immediate uber. And everyone knows there's at most one sentry and one teleporter, and if we can take THOSE out, there aren't more hidden surprises, or nests of 4 engineers.

True. Then there's the added strategy of what to do when you're on the receiving end of that. Figuring out how to get around their Sniper or Demoman. Remembering that a Scout or Pyro flank is likely or that a Soldier can jump you. And of course, knowing where to go when you lose your Medic without having a whole team wipe.

That's the main reason I like them.

thefro

True. Then there's the added strategy of what to do when you're on the receiving end of that. Figuring out how to get around their Sniper or Demoman. Remembering that a Scout or Pyro flank is likely or that a Soldier can jump you. And of course, knowing where to go when you lose your Medic without having a whole team wipe.

The strategy is definitely totally different than a regular round. You can't just change to another class to take care of something.

Definitely makes team coordination even more important than it normally is.

Yeef

Hmm.

I wonder if there's a plugin out there that appends class names to player names. It could be useful for highlander. Something like [Medic] Javaman.

[EDIT] We should also probably formalize the win conditions for highlander since there always seems to be confusion over them. Here's what I'm thinking:

• Attack/Defend or Payload - Best of 1. Pretty straightforward with stopwatch mode.
  • CTF - Best of 1. First to 5 caps wins.
  • 5CP - Best of 2, unless the first round lasts more than 8 minutes. So...
    • If the first round lasts 8 minutes or more and isn't a draw, the winner of that round wins the map.
    • Otherwise the first team to 2 wins takes the map (or one win if the first round is a draw).
  • Payload Race - Best of 1. This makes the most sense on multi-stage maps. I feel like single stage maps should use the same rules as 5CP, but the only single stage map right now is hightower which is too stalematey. I suspect, however, one day there may be a single-stage PLR map that isn't hightower, so perhaps then it would make sense. Until then, if we ever end up playing Hightower during highlander it's best of 1.
  • KOTH - Best of 3, as always.
  • TC - Not that this will ever be played, but it should be best of 2 with teams switching sides after a win.

Blizzard

Banned
Hmm.

I wonder if there's a plugin out there that appends class names to player names. It could be useful for highlander. Something like [Medic] Javaman.
I think it's fine as it is. If you can't learn which player is the sniper on the enemy's 9-player team then tough!

Deleted my TF folder and uninstalled TF2 to try a fresh install to see if I get a FPS boost. If it doesn't help, I might restore my laptop soon. Gonna back up other stuff first.

Hmm.

[EDIT] We should also probably formalize the win conditions for highlander since there always seems to be confusion over them. Here's what I'm thinking:

• Attack/Defend or Payload - Best of 1. Pretty straightforward with stopwatch mode.
  • CTF - Best of 1. First to 5 caps wins.
  • 5CP - Best of 2, unless the first round lasts more than 8 minutes. So...
    • If the first round lasts 8 minutes or more and isn't a draw, the winner of that round wins the map.
    • Otherwise the first team to 2 wins takes the map (or one win if the first round is a draw).
  • Payload Race - Best of 1. This makes the most sense on multi-stage maps. I feel like single stage maps should use the same rules as 5CP, but the only single stage map right now is hightower which is too stalematey. I suspect, however, one day there may be a single-stage PLR map that isn't hightower, so perhaps then it would make sense. Until then, if we ever end up playing Hightower during highlander it's best of 1.
  • KOTH - Best of 3, as always.
  • TC - Not that this will ever be played, but it should be best of 2 with teams switching sides after a win.

Nice. After the confusion with badlands it's nice to see the rules of 5CP.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Yay! :D There needs to be an armband misc. so I can make a proper Ouendan outfit. >.>

Anyone follow the ESEA 6v6 Invite season? I just caught Mihaly's Flow vs Quantic Legacy on Granary live... amazing match.

Alienups

Oh it's Thursday, thought it was Friday already. Never mind then

Damn heat is making me even more dimwitted than usual

Also, D3 is shit

Proven

Yay! :D There needs to be an armband misc. so I can make a proper Ouendan outfit. >.>

Anyone follow the ESEA 6v6 Invite season? I just caught Mihaly's Flow vs Quantic Legacy on Granary live... amazing match.

Watched it on CommFt's youtube today. It was spectacular.

Shimesaba

Hey everyone, I've just started to get back into TF2 after a nearly 2-year hiatus, so I'm expectedly rusty, but I'd like to start playing Heavy in Gaf highlander matches... So I was wondering, is there some sort of skill floor you're looking for before you let people into those, or can I pretty much just sign up? I'm certainly not deadweight, but it's also been a very long time since I played in any remotely competitive games.

Top Bottom