• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT4| Official Halo Thread of Polearms and High Fashion

I don't care about it being viable because the default scattergun will always be the best and most viable, unless they lose their minds and introduce a weapon that's blatantly and indisputably broken. I liked the "more accurate less damage" thing even if they sort of already did it with the Shortstop. But now it's pretty much just a scattergun that makes you go faster and has "less capacity" because that's just below "no random crits" on the list of Hastily Thought-Out Downsides. The penalty for jumping was pretty harsh before, but I don't think the weapon needed an overhaul like that.

valve is just very concerned about pleasing their TRUE audience now which are 11-year-old sonic fans who GOTTA GO FAST. i'm preparing myself properly by creating a new hedgehog original character do not steal.

I think Valve is starting to take balancing more serious than they have before especially with TF2. Dota 2 seems to have lit a fire under their ass when it comes to competitive gaming. CS GO has gotten a lot of tweaks and now it seems like they are trying to fix things that were tossed into TF2 before they really cared about balance and competitive play.

Regarding the overhaul you said it yourself the shortstop was already filling that role. They needed to turn the blaster into something different not necessarily better.

I don't care about it being viable because the default scattergun will always be the best and most viable, unless they lose their minds and introduce a weapon that's blatantly and indisputably broken. I liked the "more accurate less damage" thing even if they sort of already did it with the Shortstop. But now it's pretty much just a scattergun that makes you go faster and has "less capacity" because that's just below "no random crits" on the list of Hastily Thought-Out Downsides. The penalty for jumping was pretty harsh before, but I don't think the weapon needed an overhaul like that.

valve is just very concerned about pleasing their TRUE audience now which are 11-year-old sonic fans who GOTTA GO FAST. i'm preparing myself properly by creating a new hedgehog original character do not steal.

Lol I love both of you, but my god what a bitter couple. All weapon changes are baaad!

Collete

Yeah, I had a lot of fun. We should pug together more often!

I went Black Box roamer and picked up thirteen medpicks off of Collete. :3

Lol you did good flying around but man, you made me rage a lot haha.
First I had Khan bouncing around me keeping me distracted then, a flying quote appears, and I'm instantly dead.
You did well!

I think Valve is starting to take balancing more serious than they have before especially with TF2. Dota 2 seems to have lit a fire under their ass when it comes to competitive gaming. CS GO has gotten a lot of tweaks and now it seems like they are trying to fix things that were tossed into TF2 before they really cared about balance and competitive play.

Regarding the overhaul you said it yourself the shortstop was already filling that role. They needed to turn the blaster into something different not necessarily better.

They don't have the same role. The Shortstop is meant to be paired with the Mad Milk so you can strafe and hop around at medium range all day and be even more of an annoying little bastard than scout normally is, whereas the Blaster mainly used its accuracy just so you could built your speed up without needing to get too close while you were still slow and lame. It's good that they're changing some of the half-baked stuff they've been dropping into the game starting with the Polycount update, but so many of them seem built just around stepping on the metagame's toes (Spycicle, Huo Long Heater, Pomson) that there's always going to be something pretty dumb messing you up.

Dammit TF2 look what you've done to me!
ILvxBeF.jpg

Woobie

I didn't figure out my connection problems at all. If anyone is still MvMing I'll come and disconnect mid wave.
I still actually want to mvm :(

I sorta figured out what was going on with my connection problem. If anyone is still MVM'ing, hit me up.

I didn't figure out my connection problems at all. If anyone is still MvMing I'll come and disconnect mid wave.
I still actually want to mvm :(

Lol, believe it or not. I don't think I've ever done a full tour of MvM.

Java keeps inviting me to his credit. I just always miss the full run.

Yeef

Since the first big map (big rock), MvM has gotten a lot better than it was at release. I wouldn't mind doing it semi-frequently at this point.

I still don't understand the insistence on Manning Up though.

Blizzard

Banned
It's a way of keeping the poor peasants out of the game, I assume.

I purely refuse to play that mode out of spite for microtransactions -- I don't think I've ever spent actual money in TF2 and I can't very well break the streak now, even if it is only a dollar!

Fox318

Since the first big map (big rock), MvM has gotten a lot better than it was at release. I wouldn't mind doing it semi-frequently at this point.

I do it every now and then for items and for fun.

I one played with a dude who had 198 tours on the first tour.

$1176.12 worth of tickets o_0

Yeef

Well, my point was that usually when people from GAF play, they only play Mann Up, which limits the player base, since lots of people are unwilling to pay to play. It'd be better to just do Boot Camp so everyone can play.

Also, I got a free ticket and got a hat form it. Thanks Spaceboy :D

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Guys I only play 2fort, and 2fort only. Its crack cocaine to me. Any other maps I should check out?

Also I saw some mentions above about the competitive scene of TF2. What does this consist of in terms of teams, maps played, strategies etc.

Its been since Gears of War since I`ve been in competitive scene so I`d like to get into the TF2 scene if there is one.

Well, my point was that usually when people from GAF play, they only play Mann Up, which limits the player base, since lots of people are unwilling to pay to play. It'd be better to just do Boot Camp so everyone can play.

Also, I got a free ticket and got a hat form it. Thanks Spaceboy :D
Many of us are more than happy to give away tickets so that people can play.

Guys I only play 2fort, and 2fort only. Its crack cocaine to me. Any other maps I should check out?

Also I saw some mentions above about the competitive scene of TF2. What does this consist of in terms of teams, maps played, strategies etc.

Its been since Gears of War since I`ve been in competitive scene so I`d like to get into the TF2 scene if there is one.

You have a lot of learning to do if all you've played is 2fort. You should check out literally every other map, because aside from dustbowl and maybe hydro, they're all functionally better than 2fort. pl_badwater is probably the best of the "popular" maps. pl_thundermountain is more complicated and takes ridiculously long to finish, but any class can do well on it and there's a lot to do on it. All of the 5cp maps aside from fastlane are pretty good. So are all of the koth maps. cp_gorge used to be way overplayed on GAF but it's pretty good. cp_mountainlab is probably the best attack/ defend map, because Valve barely makes any of them and people are instead content to play the (horrible) cp_dustbowl. The payload race maps can tend towards stalemates, but still, way better than 2fort and just add more variety to the map selection.

There's 6v6, which is the "super serious" level. 2 scouts, 2 soldiers, 1 demoman, 1 medic, and a scout usually switches class depending on the situation. One soldier is always near the medic, the other rocket jumps around. All maps played are 5cp and koth.

And Highlander, which is for pretty much any level of player. 1 of each class, plays on a variety of maps.

There are free leagues for both of them, but you need to know what you're doing or else people will complain. Obviously.

Yeef

Highlander is tons of fun. I could never really get into 6's.

There should be a anti-6's mode. Medic, Soldier, Demo and Scout are banned.

It would be the worst.

Highlander is tons of fun. I could never really get into 6's.

There should be a anti-6's mode. Medic, Soldier, Demo and Scout are banned.

It would be the worst.

be careful what u wish for

but yeh highlander is pretty cool, 6s on the other hand ehhh 2pro4me. i'm only going to play to be ironic.

NFL GAF playin TF2, best of GAF Worlds...

I tried desperately to get into Dota because I think valve is doing the right thing with it and it's beautiful. I have around 40 hours and it really feels like I'm forcing myself so I pretty much don't bother no more. Not really a click to move/hot key combat kinda guy.

That Golden Frying pan(the only one in existence) that dropped yesterday just sold for 5500 dollars.

Yeef

I wonder if they'll do any non-MvM, non-Scream Fortress content updates this year. SO far we've gotten tons of balance patches, but not really anything new.

Also, what ever happened to that 15 minutes TF2 short?

2e1.png

Collete

I tried desperately to get into Dota because I think valve is doing the right thing with it and it's beautiful. I have around 40 hours and it really feels like I'm forcing myself so I pretty much don't bother no more. Not really a click to move/hot key combat kinda guy.

That Golden Frying pan(the only one in existence) that dropped yesterday just sold for 5500 dollars.

What..
What.
...Ok there are unusuals that are 50$+ which are ridiculous...but 5,500 dollars for a golden frying pan...
TF2, what are you doing?
Put down that wallet!

Bluth54

I wonder if they'll do any non-MvM, non-Scream Fortress content updates this year. SO far we've gotten tons of balance patches, but not really anything new.

Also, what ever happened to that 15 minutes TF2 short?

2e1.png

Well Christmas has always had new weapons and a new map so we'll probably get that.

Also the guy who is making the End of the Line video is making a community update with Valve that's going to include weapons and maps but that probably wont be out until next year.

Also have has never said anything officially about the 15 minute short besides when Gabe Newell announced it.

idk if we need new weapons considering we have weps that shouldn't even be in the game as is. not sure I can handle the prolly deeply unbalanced disappointment from them but lot of people are hoping for NEW STUFF. I just want more hats. hats and maps, man. and for them to balance their balance patches. but also the hats.

Collete

idk if we need new weapons considering we have weps that shouldn't even be in the game as is. not sure I can handle the prolly deeply unbalanced disappointment from them but lot of people are hoping for NEW STUFF. I just want more hats. hats and maps, man. and for them to balance their balance patches. but also the hats.

I think we do need a few new weapons, they been kinda barren about it this year except tweaking existing weapons which is also fine.
They released like over 200 hats alone this year, I think we can use without anymore hats (sides from smissmas update coming soon).
But I agree new maps would be nice, but the balance patches are ok in my opinion.

New Maps that fill out some of those new modes would be nice.

Idk about new items. The Weapons we have are a pretty good variety. Some of them are frustrating but they're not always for the skill level I expect all players to play at I guess.

It'll be excited for this holiday patch. Donhonk's always droppin some cool items on this thread for us to look at.

Even if I never seem to get them when they get released, lol.

Also guys, I'm all Christmas'd out now!

dhonk

It'll be excited for this holiday patch. Donhonk's always droppin some cool items on this thread for us to look at.

Even if I never seem to get them when they get released, lol.

*hears name* *pops in thread*
I present... A NEW HAT! (I don't actually have a hat ingame, besides the Dark Helm for Halloween!) So I'd love to get one in this Holiday!

By the way thanks for the support guys, I'm literally able to do something I love and live off it.

Top Bottom