• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT4| Official Halo Thread of Polearms and High Fashion

Proven

More updates for TF2?

I'm more or less done with the game... but I would like to see a GAF server live again. I'll try to put some time in if you need more bodies. Spring semester is ending this coming week.

Spaceb0y

Neo Member
What? Details!

I have setup a dedicated Pretend You're Xyzzy server (aka the online Cards against Humanity clone), and would like to do some stress testing this weekend. I don't wanna put the link out there just yet, but probably will do so after the stress testing.

Also, you can use custom decks from Cardcast by typing "/addcardcast #####" into the game chat.

For example, the 5th Expansion is code EU6CJ, so you would type "/addcardcast EU6CJ" into the game chat. (There's a minimum amount of cards to use, so I would pick the 1st Expansion and maybe 2nd Expansion in addition to whatever Cardcast deck is chosen.)

Cardcast decks are here.

More information here. And yes, you can make your own decks as Fallengorn has demonstrated.

--SpaceB0y

Bluth54

Well, I've considered that a lot. On one hand, statistically speaking, TF2 is pretty active still. On the other hand, if we were to anecdotally base TF2 activity off of this thread (or major updates, or even my Steam Friends list), I would say that it is fading, if not dying.

From what I can recall about the Capthatpoint server, big updates (though they are few and far between these days) made the server busy. Halloween events usually populated it as well. I would like to define "busy" as some weeknights being near maximum capacity, and reaching maximum capacity on weekends.

I've noticed that servers with established communities (Starz, Critsandvich, etc) are usually pretty filled on weeknights, and definitely on weekends. So, I'd like to give it another (and better) shot at making it a good community server. Obviously it would require more than just setting up a server and waiting, but getting community involved and advertising.

Those last two things mentioned above are what I didn't really excel at with the first attempt at the server. I think initial buzz about the server faded away, people who wanted to help got distracted or busy (as will usually happen, I'm not blaming anyone by any means). So community participation dwindled, and that seems to be pretty necessary for a actively populated server.

I'm banking a bit on more TF2 updates (Mannpower, Competitive, etc) to be more refined and consistent, but I'd also like to maybe host another type of game such as UT2K4 (which is admittedly even older than TF2) plus get the Cards Against Humanity website working. I think these would be good initial steps, by giving options (not too many).

TL;DR - I'm gonna try again, but do things better and hope that it works.

--SpaceB0y

Yeah TF2 still has a good sized player base so the potential for players is there. I think the biggest issue with community servers these days is you need a decent sized community that's willing to come in and start playing during normal/non major update/event times to get things going and then you'll start to get more randoms come in. I still play TF2 almost every day but I don't think there's enough of TF2 GAF left to populate a server regularly.

Hopefully the competitive matchmaking update will bring more people back to TF2 (as well as draw in a lot of new players).

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
ohio.0.jpg

Yeef

You're older than you've ever been
and now you're even older

You're older than you've ever been and now you're even older
and now you're older still...

Happy Bear Day! \o/

Blizzard

Banned
You're older than you've ever been

You're older than you've ever been and now you're even older
and now you're older still...

Happy Bear Day! \o/
Happy birthday? Not sure if it is, or if it's just a general bear day!

That was a completely different experience from all the times I been pubbing.

Much more fun > <, wish we had more times like that
Also, am Totooria Helmeow on Steam o.ob
I also have plumberphobia.

Blizzard

Banned
That was a completely different experience from all the times I been pubbing.

Much more fun > <, wish we had more times like that
Also, am Totooria Helmeow on Steam o.ob
I also have plumberphobia.
We used to have games like that all the time!

It's all fun and games until
  • Someone starts playing a class they're good at
  • Zeke starts playing demo
  • Exmakina starts playing scout/soldier/demo
  • Quote starts using the bazooka
  • A bunch of people start building mini sentries
  • A bunch of people start playing heavy
  • A bunch of people start playing scout
After that only tears and ragequits. :p

We used to have games like that all the time!

It's all fun and games until
  • A bunch of people start playing heavy
  • A bunch of people start playing scout

I automatically get scared when everyone plays sniper. Then I just cower in fear.
Except in pubs. Pubs snipers are fun people. =w=
Heavy is deal-able unless laser beams, some scouts and a certain plumber are a big pain in my rear.

Are we gonna do highlander matches again yeef? o.o

Yeef

*shrug*

These days I work 6 days a week, so i don't really have time for competitive video games (except for Gwent).

Bluth54

I think Borgnine should upload Dickyard. You know, because.

There is demand for it, I remember seeing a reddit post with a gif of it and people wanted to play it.

Of course you don't put pictures of the spawn room up, you want that to be a surprise.

Bluth54

I enjoyed reading about Froz3nr, I talked to him a few times and did some alpha and beta testing on CP_Snowplow with him, he's a great guy.

I'm really behind on a lot of items that have been added to the game. I've noticed some cosmetic items have strange versions. What do they keep track of?

Top Bottom