• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT4| Official Halo Thread of Polearms and High Fashion

Proven

I think because as of F2P, there are way more people that don't mind endless 24/7 servers, but Valve is trying to entice those masses with official Valve servers.

So I haven't played Team Fortress since TFC all those years ago (along with keeping up to dat with PC games in general), what's the deal with this game being free?

Is this still a popular game online? I've always seen it looks crazy fun and I played 1 game on my 360 with the Orange Box but would love to play this on PC if it's still playable.

It's one of the most popular online games, and it's pretty fun. Just don't take it seriously.

Have I mentioned I hate Powerhouse.

I enjoy it a good deal. Just regard it as a DM map like Hightower and it becomes surprisingly fun.

scoot3r

Are there any good servers for arena that aren't saxton hale? I've only found one but its 24/7 2 fort level. I used to play team deatatcj all the time but now it seems hardly anyone plays it

Blizzard

Banned
I should consider myself lucky that the TF2 team is one of the few that still provides patch notes when they update, so you can actually click "News" and see what's new.

I have to go to Reddit and dig for a thread explaining things every time CSGO updates.

Blizzard

Banned
The I want to believe posters are pretty awesome.
Not bad:

uxr42qgh35kb0.jpg

Blizzard

Banned
They don't put them in the notes field when they submit Steam patches though, which means clicking the "News" link when you see an update tells you nothing.

For TF2, clicking the News link when you see an update takes you straight to the patch notes (or close, since unfortunately a few years ago Valve changed that to include random news stories as well as patch notes). It just saves the extra step of knowing where to go for any individual game. Some developers may use their own site, some may use the Steam forums, etc.

Randdalf

I didn't understand why Valve refused to put sudden death mode on hightower when the hour or whatever ran out. Sudden death with karts sitting still would work. If everyone dies, stalemate. Sudden death with karts automatically moving might also work, and only jumping on the enemy's kart would slow it down / make it lower back down on the elevator. However, that's more work and might lead to more stalemates.

What I REALLY don't understand is why Valve refused to put it on powerhouse. There are no karts! If teams start dwindling, capping will become much easier. Worst case, if everyone hides, time would run out and you would get the "You're all losers message" and a new map. Problem solved.

I really enjoyed sudden death at the end of stalemates, was always a good bit of fun, never really got why they removed it.

I really enjoyed sudden death at the end of stalemates, was always a good bit of fun, never really got why they removed it.

I assume the reason was to discourage everybody from going Engie and turtling up whenever the round was coming to a close, causing the match to grind to a complete and total halt.

Blizzard

Banned
I assume the reason was to discourage everybody from going Engie and turtling up whenever the round was coming to a close, causing the match to grind to a complete and total halt.
I can't remember that happening even once on any servers I played on, with 1590 hours played according to Steam. Maybe I was lucky or just forgot? Even if one team managed to defend in sudden death, there was a short timer which would still run out, and the Administrator would mock you both for losing if I recall correctly.

Bluth54

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHgpxwMtPQs

A small teaser video for the upcoming invasion update posted by one of the people who are working on the SFM.

The poster in it says the event is in September (the actual date is burned off) so it looks like Invasion wont be the Halloween update this year.

I wonder if they are going to roll Invasion into part of an official Valve update and include the final version of Asteroid in the update.

Bluth54

For those who missed it someone who worked on the Invasion update was unhappy with how the profits from the update would be split and leaked a lot of information about the update, which was later proven to be correct by the people running the update.

The basic info:

It was supposed to be released yesterday (Thursday) but got delayed because of the work Valve had to do to get one of the maps working. It will probably be out sometime next week.

No new weapons (but probably some reskins)

4 maps in the update:
a reskin of 2Fort
KotH_Probed
PD_Watergate (sort of like a variation on Robot Destruction, killing players drops beer that you have to take to a single point on the map for both teams to win the game. This was the map that delayed the update since it's a custom game mode)
arena_Byre (a 2 point arena map. I wonder if they will convert it to KotH though since I don't see Valve buying an arena map since they don't run arena servers but you never know).

Also one of the team members who visited Valve confirmed this is not the Halloween update Valve is working on their own Halloween update (and she said that Valve usually doesn't spend too much time on the Halloween update, it usually takes them 2-3 weeks to put together).

Bluth54

Well that certainly explains the jank with last year's. Although previous years were pretty well polished (even if ymmv on fun-ness).

Honestly I kinda wonder if the TF2 team was really small last year, it seems like very little got done in 2014.

Russ T

Banned
True, this year by contract (EDIT: hehe nice typo GET IT CONTRACT INSTEAD OF CONTRAST) seems to have a lot more going on. A lot more. Or, maybe some of it just took a long time to get ready? I dunno.

It's also possible many of them are busy getting the Source 2 version ready for release. O; O; O;

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Yo TF2-GAF, friendly reminder that Tip of the Hats (annual charity event run by the TF2 competitive community for OneStepCamp) is today! Starts in about 12 hours, it's a 36 hour stream featuring showmatches, segments highlighting various game modes like jumping, surfing, etc... all for a great cause.

I posted a thread about it here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=179313467

Be sure to watch/support at some point during the weekend. :3

Sparse

What We're Up To
In summary:
  • TF2 team busy working on the next major update, ETA the end of the year.
  • Will feature "[n]ew maps, cosmetics, and new campaign with contracts and weapon collections".
  • "We’re also working on things like competitive matchmaking, perf, balance improvements and moving Mannpower Mode out of beta with a new map."
  • Halloween is to be "mostly" made on the community, as the team would have to drop all of the above to make a map, etc.
  • They'll be looking for items in the Workshop.
  • The deadline is October 18th.
  • The selected items this year WILL NOT be restricted, so they can we worn year round, "So don't get too gross or out-there with your submissions".

Yeef

Yeah. I thought it was amusing as a once-a-quarter thing but not really fun enough to hold my attention for much longer than that. Pass Time is the sportball one, and that's actually really fun, though I think it needs class limits to really shine.

Bluth54

I honestly don't mind Valve focusing on a big update at the end of the year instead of Halloween, I do prefer normal content that we can play all year long vs Halloween content that is there for a few weeks.

Also Ronin who is in charge of the Invasion community update announced today that Valve decided to delay Invasion until after the Gun Mettle campaign ends on Sep 30th, so we'll likely get it in early October so it's not too close to the Halloween update, unless of course the TF2 team has changed their mind and is going to make Invasion part of the Halloween update.

Javaman

I dread the Halloween update every year. They would be much more fun without the fetch quest aspect and random loot drops on maps.

Blizzard

Banned
Update including PASS Time stuff (is PASS an acronym?):

An update to Team Fortress 2 has been released. The update will be applied automatically when you restart Team Fortress 2. The major changes include:

Added LBTF2 Highlander Season 2 and LBTF2 6v6 Season 11 tournament medals
Added an "Unusual Effect" checkbox for the Steam Workshop import tool
Fixed a client crash related to the material system
Fixed seeing [unknown] for player names in item descriptions
Fixed a lighting bug with static props
Fixed custom item_teamflag models not drawing properly
Fixed a case where the Stat Clock model would float in the air while the player was taunting
Fixed a case where the Sniper zoom could get stuck after picking up a weapon
Fixed a push bug with The Scorch Shot and giant robots in Mann vs. Machine mode
Fixed the Spy Sapper not drawing on robots in Mann vs. Machine mode
Updated the slosh sounds used for footsteps
Updated the localization files
Updated the vote system so player can extend the current map using the “Extend Current Map” vote in the Vote Setup menu
Server admin can configure this new feature using the convars sv_vote_issue_extendlevel_allowed and sv_vote_issue_extendlevel_quorum
PASS Time update
Rounds will continue after the timer expires until the jack becomes neutral or someone scores
The jack will heal its carrier to full health
Added tf_passtime_unstable for testing unstable features
Unstable features
Attack, defense, and support classes have different throwing arcs (tf_passtime_throwspeed, tf_passtime_throwarc)
The jack inherits some of the thrower's velocity (tf_passtime_throwspeed_velocity)
Added an alternate version of pass_warehouse: pass_warehouse_goal2
Instead of scoring by throwing the jack into the goal, players need to carry the jack into the goal
Hi PASS Time players! Join the Official PASS Time Steam Group to help test experimental new content before it goes live to the world! Be the first to get the latest PASS Time news, watch some of the mode's best plays, share your feedback, play with the dev team, and more!

Fandangox

I still haven't played Pass Time. It takes too much time to finish CS:GO contracts AND TF:GO missions to actually play casually!

I don't care much about those stuff, so I just play whichever mode I feel like playing, and man.

PASS Time is some good stuff.

Also good to see they fixed how overtime works in this mode, although I wonder if its still gonna be effective if the score is like 2 - 0?

Dislike the throw change though, it was one of the things that made the mode feel very unique.

Yeef

I was expecting an important package today, but when I got home form work it wasn't here. When I went to check the tracking number, I got this message:
FedEx anticipates delays and disruptions in the Washington, D.C., New York, and Philadelphia metro areas because of the papal visit.

I don't recognize no god damn Earth Pope. The Space Pope is the only real pope! #notmypope

[Insert something about TF2 here]

Kinda shitty that they delayed the Invasion update another week. But next week for sure, right??? Lest we risk infringing on Halloween.

Also, apparently TF2 no longer drops hats as a random drop, and it's been this way for a while it's just no one really noticed until now. That's pretty lame.

Top Bottom