• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT4| Official Halo Thread of Polearms and High Fashion

Proven

Okay, I went to the FAQ. I guess I misunderstood what they meant when they said there would only be 2 contracts per week.

Gun Mettle FAQ said:
Q: THE GUN METTLE UPDATE STARTED A FEW WEEKS AGO AND I JUST HEARD ABOUT IT. WHAT HAPPENS IF I BUY A CAMPAIGN PASS NOW?
A: Purchasing access further into the campaign will still earn you the same number of contracts as someone who purchased access on day one. Access will no longer be available for purchase through the last month of the campaign.

Yeef

Just got a new Scout contract; took me about 10 minutes to complete it with the max bonus on Process.

Scout is best class <3

Blizzard

Banned
I got a Country Crusher scattergun after getting the Spruce Deuce earlier. I don't really know why the Country Crusher sells for more since it seems to be the same thing, but uglier.

Ok, I got my missing contract this morning.

I guess they roll them out to you in waves if you miss them. Kind of wish they'd drop them all at once so I could do multiple at the same time if they stacked (like a map one with a class one)

Randdalf

I've started to skip some of the bonus points, since some of the advanced objectives can be so tedious to get, especially if you're playing a class you don't like very much.

Moobabe

Man - someone just told me that skins are tied to an item (as are your killstreak and kill counters etc)

Does this mean that if I, say, want a new skin for my scattergun I have to start tracking my kills all over again instead of being able to move them across?

Sparse

Man - someone just told me that skins are tied to an item (as are your killstreak and kill counters etc)

Does this mean that if I, say, want a new skin for my scattergun I have to start tracking my kills all over again instead of being able to move them across?

Yep. :(
I know that CS:GO has a tool to swap stattrak numbers, but TF2 doesn't.

voodooray

I've started to skip some of the bonus points, since some of the advanced objectives can be so tedious to get, especially if you're playing a class you don't like very much.

Which ones were you not enjoying getting advanced CP for? I've done several in the last few days which were either to win on maps I hardly knew, or play certain classes that I was a total noob at, but they didn't seem too bad (soldier, engy, spy are the only ones I've yet to do, but most of those are my mains). Winning unfamiliar maps was definitely a chore though.

And with that I'm out - no point in chasing skins if I can't transfer them over.

Can I have your skins?

Which ones were you not enjoying getting advanced CP for? I've done several in the last few days which were either to win on maps I hardly knew, or play certain classes that I was a total noob at, but they didn't seem too bad (soldier, engy, spy are the only ones I've yet to do, but most of those are my mains). Winning unfamiliar maps was definitely a chore though.

The Engineer advance mission is awful. The only way to get it against a semi-competent team is to try and sneak a Sentry behind them (this is easiest on Powerhouse) \ and hope you get five kills before a Soldier blows it up. Assuming, of course, that your team doesn't get rolled first because their Engineer is dicking around behind enemy lines.

Blizzard

Banned
Can I have your skins?

The Engineer advance mission is awful. The only way to get it against a semi-competent team is to try and sneak a Sentry behind them (this is easiest on Powerhouse) \ and hope you get five kills before a Soldier blows it up. Assuming, of course, that your team doesn't get rolled first because their Engineer is dicking around behind enemy lines.
I finally went gravelpit and it wasn't horrible for the 5-sentry-kill engineer one. You can set up on the last point, or B if your team is helping there.

One key thing that might help is to get 2-3 sentry kills, then quickly move the sentry somewhere else. Hopefully you will get 2 more kills off people who thought the sentry was in its original spot. You can use the ramps near spawn in gravelpit, or be brave by putting it in the low spot opposite spawn below the tower. You might do that one first and then move it.

Also take the rescue ranger so you can grab your sentry remotely once it gets the kills and move it.

Blizzard

Banned
I realized today I was missing yet another weapon, the iron bomber.

I crafted it and it is hilarious. It plays a funny sound and drops heavy bombs that do not roll around much, almost like timed stickies.

I find myself completing these contracts in less than an hour. Do you guys think Valve should make harder contracts worth more points? Because as it stands, they are laughably easy.

Blizzard

Banned
I find myself completing these contracts in less than an hour. Do you guys think Valve should make harder contracts worth more points? Because as it stands, they are laughably easy.
Despite playing many hundreds of hours over many years, I'm still awful at TF2 and I might take multiple hours for each contract.

So, personally, I'm really glad they aren't harder. Certain advanced points are already a big pain for me, like getting 5 sentry kills without someone just going spy/stickies/direct hit/uber on it. Or, midair shotgun kills since I can practically never pull off the shotgun kill from a rocket ground blast. I think I got that one from basically spamming the reserve shooter at people who were jumping for other reasons.

As it stands it makes me play TF2 a couple of times a week, and I'm happy with that level.

Blizzard

Banned
We often talk about Valve pub servers having clueless players, which is to be expected since they might have just started playing, but tonight some of us got a bit of karma back. On a random Virginia Valve server, the other team had 3+ (I think?) people with golden weapons, including at least two that were quite good. They had 40-60 points higher than our top scorer at round end, even though we won by points captured.

We managed to win both thunder mountain and upwards in terms of points captured, but we did not finish either map because of the really coordinated defense.

Yeef

So, PASS Time is a lot of fun, even with randoms. I'd really like to try it as an organized thing with highlander teams.

There is a bug though; you can destroy the ball with the short circuit and then it just because wanton violence for no reason.

[EDIT] Also, melee hitting the person carrying the ball makes you steal it by design, but apparently hitting someone with a sandman ball counts as a melee hit and let's you steal the ball from long range. I doubt that's intentional, but it makes for an interesting dynamic.

Spaceb0y

Neo Member
PASS Time update

Fixed a PASS Time sound bug related to carrying the Jack

Fixed a client crash related to the HUD
Fixed the Short Circuit being used to remove the Jack from the game
Fixed players being able to pick-up the Jack while they have weapons deployed that cannot be holstered

Updated pass_warehouse
Fixed players getting into enemy spawn rooms
Fixed the Jack being thrown into spawn rooms
Fixed being able to build in the goals

Do they even test anymore, or did they just forget about the Engi class entirely? And yes, that sound bug was unbelievably horrible. No idea how that got made public at all.

Do they even test anymore, or did they just forget about the Engi class entirely? And yes, that sound bug was unbelievably horrible. No idea how that got made public at all.

Did they fix the stealing the ball because you hit someone with the sandman ball from across the map and that somehow counts as a melee?

I don't think this mode was really well thought out. It might as well be called Scout Ball. All these beta gamemodes are always unbalanced when they start messing with class mobility. Grappling made some classes too powerful and now ball possession makes slower classes unfun. There's simply too much shit in TF2 to make any new mode balanced. Either enforce class limits so people will take different roles on the team or just legitimately make it Scout Ball and force everyone to play scout so everyone is on the same playing field. Also, engineers completely destroy the flow of a sport like game with ball passing and shooting, at that point you might as well just be playing ctf.

Proven

Basically, if they want to make a new mode using the freeform, choose whatever class you want style that the rest of TF2 enjoys, it can't have any objective that involves direct action from the player. Best you can do is Payload with its indirect mechanic.

Blizzard

Banned
My coin just turned silver from doing all the contracts. Also I got a neat team-colored spy revolver. I'd probably use the enforcer normally, but it looks good enough that I might use it occasionally.

Bluth54

So, PASS Time is a lot of fun, even with randoms. I'd really like to try it as an organized thing with highlander teams.

Yeah unlike MannPower Pass Time is actually a decent amount of fun. It would be interesting to see some high level comp teams play the mode because I think it would actually play really well with a well organized team.

A bunch of noobs started to kick all engineers on the pass time server where i just played, never seen such a toxic server before. I went engie to mess with them and they kicked me too -_-.

Spaceb0y

Neo Member
Howdy and Hello there!

The official opening of NEO JANK: JANK YARDER is tonight!

We will be TF2ing our brains out with some of the best official and custom maps available! This is YOUR SERVER to call HOME now. It is for the NeoGaf community, and is open to all.

The party starts Tonight, Saturday at 10pm EST! Server information is below:
Address: NEOJANK.COM (216.52.148.120:27015)

Make sure that you're part of the NeoGaf-TF2 Steam group, as we will be sending out events and announcements through it.

So don't worry about finishing that gun mettle contract, turn off Dota 2 (please, it's only hurting you), and play some TF2 with all of your favorite GAFers, like Javaman! (he will be showing up and signing autographs afterwards)

See ya there!

--Spaceb0y

A new jank?! Sounds like it's time for a TF2 gif party!

5KmTHc4.gif

mZkXibv.gif

tumblr_m74nez3s3T1rv8jpzo1_r1_400.gif

tumblr_m8305fTuqM1qd1f1f.gif

YOoJd.gif

IXfTZAI.gif

Top Bottom