• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT4| Official Halo Thread of Polearms and High Fashion

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Well, this wasn't so subtle.

9FfNSQA.png

Seeking a Friend for the End of the World.

Blizzard

Banned
I haven't used the Tomislav with the heavy in a while. I tried it tonight and it felt pretty decent. It's especially funny sniping snipers with it if someone gives you crits.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
i55 stream is live! The biggest TF2 tournament of the year and possibly the last international major for 6v6 as we know it ('cause who knows how matchmaking is gonna change things). So definitely tune in~

http://www.twitch.tv/teamfortresstv
http://www.twitch.tv/teamfortresstv2

They're showing the i49 documentary right now. Round 1 for the invite group is scheduled to happen in about half an hour - first up are Reason vs Froyotech and NerdRage vs Ascent, gonna be good.

i55 stream is live! The biggest TF2 tournament of the year and possibly the last international major for 6v6 as we know it ('cause who knows how matchmaking is gonna change things). So definitely tune in~

http://www.twitch.tv/teamfortresstv
http://www.twitch.tv/teamfortresstv2

They're showing the i49 documentary right now. Round 1 for the invite group is scheduled to happen in about half an hour - first up are Reason vs Froyotech and NerdRage vs Ascent, gonna be good.

Get hype!

Just sad no immunity this year :<

Blizzard

Banned
I got that engineer contract with the advanced points to get 5 kills with a single sentry, again.

I guess I'll see if I can get them on gravelpit once more.

Proven

It's not popular in the way the top MMOs aren't popular; No one really wants to talk about them much unless an expansion is coming out, but they have lots of people playing while they make bank.

Russ T

Banned
TF2 has a solid and consistent community, but it's also a very stagnant one. And, at least going by all the people I know who used to play TF2, a slowly shrinking one. Being the third most played game on Steam doesn't really mean it's popular, I think.

There was a time when TF2 GAF had a server that was full every night. That lasted for over a year after launch. Now look at it. People can't even be bothered to show up once a week. ):

2fort2furious (my other favorite server from back in the day) came back recently, too, and it was full for a whole night, and then just sort of slowly fell off again and now it's just empty most of the time. It used to be full all day, even moreso than TF2 GAF.

Everyone just plays via the server finder, there's no such thing as a server community anymore. (I know there are some outliers, but they're few and far between.)

It just makes me sad, seeing what TF2 is today. Especially because, in my opinion, it is, right now, today, the best it's ever been. ):

Blizzard

Banned
The contracts did get me to start playing regularly, but the downside is that I rarely play on custom servers.

Custom servers may have neat features, but if I'm spending 1-3 hours per contract twice a week, that's sort of like a job that I finish and then I'm done playing instead of having the desire to go custom.

Bluth54

It's not popular in the way the top MMOs aren't popular; No one really wants to talk about them much unless an expansion is coming out, but they have lots of people playing while they make bank.
I still like to talk about TF2 a lot but sadly not here anymore since most of the community has moved on.

TF2 has a solid and consistent community, but it's also a very stagnant one. And, at least going by all the people I know who used to play TF2, a slowly shrinking one. Being the third most played game on Steam doesn't really mean it's popular, I think.

There was a time when TF2 GAF had a server that was full every night. That lasted for over a year after launch. Now look at it. People can't even be bothered to show up once a week. ):

2fort2furious (my other favorite server from back in the day) came back recently, too, and it was full for a whole night, and then just sort of slowly fell off again and now it's just empty most of the time. It used to be full all day, even moreso than TF2 GAF.

Everyone just plays via the server finder, there's no such thing as a server community anymore. (I know there are some outliers, but they're few and far between.)

It just makes me sad, seeing what TF2 is today. Especially because, in my opinion, it is, right now, today, the best it's ever been. ):

According to Steam Charts average player count has been slowly moving up month after month while peak player count has gone down a little. The highest peak player count in the last year was October and November, no doubt due to the Halloween update so we'll probably seen a bigger peak player count again this October/November. It does seem like the contracts has also driven up the peak player count for TF2, it will also be interesting to see how competitive matchmaking affects the player base.

Some of the community servers I used to visit (including GAF of course) have died out, though there are still some good quality, highly populated community servers I visit.

Russ T

Banned
That's interesting. I definitely would not have assumed that based on various trends I see in various TF2 communities. I should know not to trust the internet for things like this. Has it always grown year after year, or was there a point of significant drop off? I'd check myself but I'm on my phone. I will probably check later. If that link even has data that old.

I'm pretty interested to see how competitive match making affects things, too, although it definitely won't affect things the way I'd like. I loooooved being able to hop on the GAF server any time I wanted and knowing it'd either have people on there already or it'd fill up because friends would see me there. Those were the days. Matchmaking, rather obviously, doesn't promote server communities. I'm still looking forward to it, though.

Also, what servers are these that you speak of? USA or some other region of the world? Important!

Bluth54

That's interesting. I definitely would not have assumed that based on various trends I see in various TF2 communities. I should know not to trust the internet for things like this. Has it always grown year after year, or was there a point of significant drop off? I'd check myself but I'm on my phone. I will probably check later. If that link even has data that old.

I'm pretty interested to see how competitive match making affects things, too, although it definitely won't affect things the way I'd like. I loooooved being able to hop on the GAF server any time I wanted and knowing it'd either have people on there already or it'd fill up because friends would see me there. Those were the days. Matchmaking, rather obviously, doesn't promote server communities. I'm still looking forward to it, though.

Also, what servers are these that you speak of? USA or some other region of the world? Important!

Since Valve removed community servers from quick play by default I think a lot of community servers have had a rough time. I imagine many players who would of gone to community servers before now just go to Valve servers via quick play.

Steam Charts goes back to July 2012, and for the most part TF2 has been on an upward trend. There are a few high points with dips after them, like after MVM was released and the Halloween updates, but for the most part TF2 has been on a slow upwards march for player count.

The servers I play on are US based and they are Critsandvich (Slaybox 1 is the one that typically becomes pretty populated), the Firepowered servers (I mainly play on their payload server), The Fish (it's a Christan server but even if you're not religious you can certainly play on it, they just have bible verses occasionally come up in chat) and Team Play First (a server run by TF2 Youtuber Mr. Paladin that encourages good team play). Usually these servers are all pretty populated from early evening to later in the night.

Critsandvich, The Fish and TPF all have really good communities and typically you'll have a good number of people using the mic. All the servers typically have much higher quality players then Valve servers t hat typically understand the importance of team composition so you rarely see 3 snipers and 3 spies on a team. All are pretty much default TF2 servers aside from small things, like Crisandvich having floating sandviches in spawn that act like a dispenser, The Fish having prop hunt turned on during the end of rounds and TFP having 2 extra player slots so it's 26 players vs 24). Firepowered doesn't seem to have quite as much of a regular community but you can usually find decently skilled players on it.

Also I don't play on it a whole ton but Youtuber Star_ also has a decent server that attracts pretty decent players.

Russ T

Banned
I guess I'm also unfairly using anectodal evidence (it's not an exaggeration to say that the vast, vast majority of my friends who used to play TF2 no longer bother) to judge the playerbase of TF2 as a whole. I wonder how many people there are that have actually consistently played since the beginning. I know I've taken a few large breaks, but the last two I took were because the GAF server was dead. Again. These days I just hop in to a random server every now and then (except lately GAF people have started playing again, so, hurray!).

I will have to check out some of those servers. Though I do very specifically want the setup of the classic GAF server: custom maps, shenanigans on a nightly basis, nobody taking anything too seriously.

Know what helped fill GAF's TF2 server? Nightly Steam group announcement/event spam!

Also, the non-existence dota2

I play and enjoy both! I haven't even seen you in TF2 in forever. ):

Also, nightly event spam worked in the past because there were enough people interested. Now? I dunno.

Yeef

I got a Suijin contract and a Medic contract last night, so I decided I'd hop onto a Suijin server and play a medic. Easy peasy. Searched for Suijin in the server browser and no official servers were running it. So I go into matchmaking and list all of the Gun Mettle servers. Everyone single one that I try to join that's on Suijin just returns "ERROR."

Obviously The Patriots don't want me to play TF2.

Blizzard

Banned
I got a Suijin contract and a Medic contract last night, so I decided I'd hop onto a Suijin server and play a medic. Easy peasy. Searched for Suijin in the server browser and no official servers were running it. So I go into matchmaking and list all of the Gun Mettle servers. Everyone single one that I try to join that's on Suijin just returns "ERROR."

Obviously The Patriots don't want me to play TF2.
You must have been really unlucky if the server browser didn't show anything. I just checked and in the middle of the afternoon EDT, there were at least 59 non-empty, non-full, official servers running koth_suijin.

servers6suy3.png

Yeef

You must have been really unlucky if the server browser didn't show anything. I just checked and in the middle of the afternoon EDT, there were at least 59 non-empty, non-full, official servers running koth_suijin.

servers6suy3.png
It's a bug that happens from time to time; usually late at night. The master servers don't see some of the official servers.

La-li-lu-le-lo

Bluth54

I guess I'm also unfairly using anectodal evidence (it's not an exaggeration to say that the vast, vast majority of my friends who used to play TF2 no longer bother) to judge the playerbase of TF2 as a whole. I wonder how many people there are that have actually consistently played since the beginning. I know I've taken a few large breaks, but the last two I took were because the GAF server was dead. Again. These days I just hop in to a random server every now and then (except lately GAF people have started playing again, so, hurray!).

I will have to check out some of those servers. Though I do very specifically want the setup of the classic GAF server: custom maps, shenanigans on a nightly basis, nobody taking anything too seriously.

Yeah Critsandvich, the Fish and TPF especially remind me a lot of the old GAF server (though you don't get too much shenanigans on the TPF server during the normal play, just during setup/end of round).

Spaceb0y

Neo Member

Neojank.com has custom maps. Just type nominate to see them all. They are organized with Loving Care(tm). Although I do have to go through some of the custom maps, because the updates broke them (ones that use special game mechanics at least, like that soccer one).

I would love the server to be more active on a regular basis, and I definitely want to stick with that relaxed attitude for a server.

Russ T

Banned
Neojank.com has custom maps. Just type nominate to see them all. They are organized with Loving Care(tm). Although I do have to go through some of the custom maps, because the updates broke them (ones that use special game mechanics at least, like that soccer one).

I would love the server to be more active on a regular basis, and I definitely want to stick with that relaxed attitude for a server.

I already done been there!

ps we already have soccer with passtime ;__;

Also, the non-existence dota2

Seriously, that was one of the most complete migrations I've ever seen here. I was surprised when I played Dota 2 for the first time and I recognized a ton of the people in the GAF clan... they were all former TF2-GAF regulars. DrKirby, Dreams-Visions, SWinwood, Tenck, Twig, Yasae, Borsalino, Sgt.Pepper, and a bunch more.

Bluth54

Seriously, that was one of the most complete migrations I've ever seen here. I was surprised when I played Dota 2 for the first time and I recognized a ton of the people in the GAF clan... they were all former TF2-GAF regulars. DrKirby, Dreams-Visions, SWinwood, Tenck, Twig, Yasae, Borsalino, Sgt.Pepper, and a bunch more.

So many traitors.

Daffy Duck

So I haven't played Team Fortress since TFC all those years ago (along with keeping up to dat with PC games in general), what's the deal with this game being free?

Is this still a popular game online? I've always seen it looks crazy fun and I played 1 game on my 360 with the Orange Box but would love to play this on PC if it's still playable.

commissar

Whole bunch of servers and players going on so dive in and have fun! Its nothing like TFC, but great in its own right.

You dont need different weapons as they're mostly sidegrades, just need to learn how to counter them. Also, accept that the crits both giveth and taketh away so don't be too mad :p

One final word of advice, when you play cp_steel do take the time to learn it, as it truly is one of the great multiplayer maps.

Blizzard

Banned
Have I mentioned I hate Powerhouse.
I didn't understand why Valve refused to put sudden death mode on hightower when the hour or whatever ran out. Sudden death with karts sitting still would work. If everyone dies, stalemate. Sudden death with karts automatically moving might also work, and only jumping on the enemy's kart would slow it down / make it lower back down on the elevator. However, that's more work and might lead to more stalemates.

What I REALLY don't understand is why Valve refused to put it on powerhouse. There are no karts! If teams start dwindling, capping will become much easier. Worst case, if everyone hides, time would run out and you would get the "You're all losers message" and a new map. Problem solved.

Top Bottom