• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT4| Official Halo Thread of Polearms and High Fashion

Blizzard

Banned
Kinda shitty that they delayed the Invasion update another week. But next week for sure, right??? Lest we risk infringing on Halloween.

Also, apparently TF2 no longer drops hats as a random drop, and it's been this way for a while it's just no one really noticed until now. That's pretty lame.
I guess that's one way to stop idlers, ouch.

Bluth54

Kinda shitty that they delayed the Invasion update another week. But next week for sure, right??? Lest we risk infringing on Halloween.

All we know for sure is that it's happening some time after Gun Mettle which ends Sept 30th. It's going to have to happen pretty quickly after that otherwise it will overlap with Halloween update.

Russ T

Banned
Do the contracts CLOSE on the 30th, or do we receive our last one on the 30th and then have a period of time to finish that one? It's unclear to me, or I'm an idiot.

Just wanna make sure I do 'em all! I'm a little behind right now so I'll have to do like four in the next few days if they close on the 30th.

Blizzard

Banned
Do the contracts CLOSE on the 30th, or do we receive our last one on the 30th and then have a period of time to finish that one? It's unclear to me, or I'm an idiot.

Just wanna make sure I do 'em all! I'm a little behind right now so I'll have to do like four in the next few days if they close on the 30th.
I just did 3 last night so I'm in the same situation. I think I read the last contract drop is on the 30th but I'm not sure.

Russ T

Banned
Okay so yeah the last contract is out now but I still can't find any conclusive evidence that I have time to do it past tonight! D:

I still have a queue... Last night I started watching all the anime and forgot I needed to do the contracts........

Blizzard

Banned
Okay so yeah the last contract is out now but I still can't find any conclusive evidence that I have time to do it past tonight! D:

I still have a queue... Last night I started watching all the anime and forgot I needed to do the contracts........
If you did advanced contracts in the past, you may already have the australium coin. There aren't any upgrades past that, as far as I know, so you'd just be playing for the item drops.

voodooray

For those with unfinished contracts, this was in yesterdays patch notes:
Gun Mettle Coin owners have until October 12th to finish any remaining contracts. Contracts will expire on the 13th and will be removed.
And people today are reporting that they are still getting them, so you still have time to complete them it seems.

This might be a weird place to bring this up, but I haven't played TF2 for years and most of my inventory is kind of just existing. I probably won't ever go back to the game, and I was wondering if there were any particular avenues for me to sell or trade most of this stuff off to people that need them. Without going into detail on this post, the only two items of Unusual quality I have are Brim Full Of Bullets (Cloud 9) and Buckaroo's Hat (Aces High). I don't really want to use Steam Marketplace because I don't trust the values shown there to be accurate, so I don't really know what to do.

Advice on how to get my gear to people who will put these things to use?

Blizzard

Banned
This might be a weird place to bring this up, but I haven't played TF2 for years and most of my inventory is kind of just existing. I probably won't ever go back to the game, and I was wondering if there were any particular avenues for me to sell or trade most of this stuff off to people that need them. Without going into detail on this post, the only two items of Unusual quality I have are Brim Full Of Bullets (Cloud 9) and Buckaroo's Hat (Aces High). I don't really want to use Steam Marketplace because I don't trust the values shown there to be accurate, so I don't really know what to do.

Advice on how to get my gear to people who will put these things to use?
How would the Steam marketplace not be accurate? It's an economy where anyone can put something up.

If anything I would think anyone claiming to pay more outside the marketplace was automatically suspicious as a possible scam.

How would the Steam marketplace not be accurate? It's an economy where anyone can put something up.

If anything I would think anyone claiming to pay more outside the marketplace was automatically suspicious as a possible scam.

Just a gut feeling I guess, I don't have any real reason? I mean, my only experience has been with the trading cards. The average TF2 card is .07, but the MGSV ones are near .30, but they're really just the same thing for different games.

Also, I remember when Unusuals were out, the effect varied the value somewhat, which the Marketplace doesn't show.

Russ T

Banned
Market place values are based on supply and demand, as is any capitalistic market.

TF2 cards are cheap 'cause they've existed for a long time and there's a theoretically unlimited supply (as people spend money in-game, it unlocks more card drops).

MGS5 has a limited number of drops, and it's a brand new game, so those cards are naturally worth more to the people who collect Steam trading cards.

That said, you're right about unusuals not necessarily being great to sell on the market, for exactly the reason you state. All unusual effects for a single item are bundled together. Unless they changed it?

It's probably safe to look up the value of your thing and then post it on Steam Market for that price. I dunno I basically never sell stuff, though, so I'm probably bad advice incarnate.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me

tumblr_mkf9ftcKdu1r2srhyo5_r1_250.gif

Too bad gun mettle is over and no one is going to play Powerhouse anymore because it's garbage.

FTFY. I seriously hated any contracts that took place on that map, especially ones for winning rounds, as matches could literally go on for hours.

Design-wise it was pretty uninspired as well, which made it even more of a chore to play.

I actually kind of liked Suijin, but King of the Hill is a pretty broken mode to begin with.

FTFY. I seriously hated any contracts that took place on that map, especially ones for winning rounds, as matches could literally go on for hours.

Design-wise it was pretty uninspired as well, which made it even more of a chore to play.

You didn't fix anything for me. The problems with Powerhouse stems from the players not from the design of the map itself, whereas Suijin is just a bad koth map. You can pretty it up as much as you want with a Japanese theme but in the end you're just polishing a turd. The only reason Powerhouse goes to stalemate so often is because easily startled reactionary players will turtle up on last with engies and the needed coordination to break that kind of defense isn't generally going to be found in a Valve server. Granted this kinda thing isn't exclusive to Powerhouse, try pushing Borneo last against 3 engies but the objective of pushing a cart is much more easily accomplished than capping a point. This sort of thing would be easily preventable with class limits but Valve would never endorse this kind of thing in a pub setting. Design-wise, Powerhouse is fine. It has plenty of flank routes, fair sightlines, and a good bit of elevation for different classes to take advantage of.

Suijin on the other hand has a boat load of problems that makes it bad:

1. The big difference between Suijin and other bilaterally symmetrical koth maps like Viaduct and Lakeside is that Suijin is designed in such a way that half the map is hardly even used. The point is inaccessible from one side unless you're a jump class, or willing to hike across the map to get up top. I was referring to the map as garbage in response to that spy video mostly because players hardly ever go towards the island regardless of whether you think the cloak and dagger spy kill is clever.

2. Spawns are too easily campable. The layout is comparable to Harvest but the center path is easily accessible from the point and offers plenty of cover around doorways for the defending team.

3. The point is too closed off. Often times you'll need an uber to be able to push the point but with the way the spawn is designed, it'll be even more difficult to build one.

King of the Hill is a pretty broken mode to begin with.

What?

Eila

Do you have to be playing in the event maps to get the crate drops? I feel a bit of remorse buying the pass now without having read the update notes. I don't have the patience to play enough hours to actually get all my drops these days. I loved doing two contracts per week.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
New maps are pretty fun. I really like Watergate 'cause it's super vertical...

But most importantly:

Throwables (Jarate, Mad Milk, Flying Guillotine) will now pass through friendly targets at close range. This is the same behavior as rockets and grenades.

Praise be!

Yeef

I was kinda eh on all the new maps excepting Watergate. I think watergate needs a bit more polish, aesthetically, but gameplay is good.

The Arena and KOTH both feel too small and cramped.

Chinner

Banned
I just started TF2 for the first time in like, 2 years? It's depressing to see that the matchmaking feature has basically killed the community servers. It's difficult to find any decent skill servers that have good map rotation and that are constantly full.

Also, have they nerfed how medics are awarded points? Seems like they get less now.

Yeef

It's getting mighty close to Scream Fortress time without an announcement. Perhaps we'll get one later today or tomorrow.

Yeef

Go riding with your best friends Robby-Bob and Herman, or enjoy a rousing game of Bibwich and snatch the catch or avoid the noid or whatever nonsense is in the stupid books that inspired these awesome taunts.
This is already the best update.

Bluth54

Update is live. Gorge reskin and cp_sunshine (which is a pretty awesome 5 cp map I'm surprised they haven't made official yet, gets played a lot in 6s) reskin, and two other maps.

Also FREE MISSIONS!

http://www.teamfortress.com/screamfortress7/

Oh, and a comic, but I'll read that later.

Yeah it's kinda strange they didn't make the normal versions of the Halloween maps official, that was really the only disapointing thing about the update, everything else about this update is pretty nice.

Russ T

Banned
First mission was Harvest, pretty quick and easy, one and done, then gtfo because wow you think Valve servers are bad on a normal day. Halloween wow.

Top Bottom