• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT4| Official Halo Thread of Polearms and High Fashion

Blizzard

Banned
Dead Ringer is the best body blocking tool, because of its bullshit damage resistance.
Invincible scout is even more invincible! But dead ringer presumably lasts like 30 seconds longer so I concede your point.

I wonder if a phlogostinataunt pyro thing could help block ubers, or if it's far better to just airblast and assume you won't die.

Forkball

The Holiday Punch's forced taunt also works on ubers. I've pulled it off a few times and it's bother hilarious and effective.

Today is the 4 year anniversary of the Pyro update. Remember when this game had updates?

Blizzard

Banned
We have no one to blame but Valve
and Forkball
To be fair, Valve had their staff hard at work getting that comfy couch Steam UI mode ready in time for E3 earlier this year, plus polishing up HL3 and Meet the Pyro (which were both awesome as we all know), so it's not like they had time for TF2.

Kirsten

You can block the medic with any class if the ubered class isn't smart enough to kill the blocker (and of course with a pyro, it can take 5 seconds or so to attempt to get bullets to register so the uber will be pretty much gone).

Bonk drink scout is another nice way to do it. Sadly the days of sandman stunning ubers are gone. :(

Is this Blizzard calling me stupid?

Its really too bad there's isn't a recording of my panicked screaming that went along with the clip.

Blizzard

Banned
Is this Blizzard calling me stupid?

Its really too bad there's isn't a recording of my panicked screaming that went along with the clip.
No silly, I said the ubered class, not the uberING class. :p The medic can't do anything about it aside from positioning. And with bonk scout or dead ringer spy I guess only a pyro, demo, or soldier would have a chance at knocking the blocker away.

I thought you did well, you were like 20 points ahead of everyone on the team if I recall correctly. :)

I think it's much easier to criticize people playing than actually play. We should all become sportscasters or something.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
My postmortem:

- First round we stalled out a lot on offense and couldn't cap D, then got blitzkrieged on defense. Nothing we really could do once they got rolling. 2nd round was a lot more even and we did okay on A & C on offense but we couldn't finish the push into their last area.

- I definitely still screwed up a lot, but I thought I did improve from my performance in the 2 scrims we had before. The biggest errors I made were 1) moving the sentry above B on the 2nd round right as they started to make a push and 2) switching loadouts to try to get a level 3 up on offense which destroyed my teleporter. I think if I just had manually switched to the normal wrench my teles would have stayed up. I should know the details on how that all works by now. On offense I probably would have been better off hanging back a little bit more and then only dropping mini-sentries in aggressive spots as we were making a push. I probably should have dropped a tele exit behind B on defense on the 2nd round but we were really scrambling there.

- In general, we needed to do a better job of communicating. I heard a lot of "They've got X up, they're pushing!" or "push now" not a lot of locations or where everyone was at. I certainly should have called out where I was building at and some other stuff. I didn't feel like I had a good idea on what was going on or where the other team was, who they had up, etc.

- I don't think our Solider/Demoman were running the Equalizer and the Scout was off doing who knows what. Generally we needed 4 people to get the 4x on the cart. By the time we would push the cart up to the front line the other team had recovered. We'd generally either have a bunch of people on the cart or one person pushing it.

- They would just roll over my nests instead of having a spy take it out. If I played this team again I'd run Eureka Effect so I could bail out of there and have full health/metal and be closer to the next point. Especially considering I didn't have a pryo with me airblasting the other team and their projectiles away from my sentry (as the other team did so well defending their points).

- Strategy. We probably needed one. I'm not sure how week one was, but we didn't have anyone who was really telling everyone what to do on the fly either. Mainly "wait for uber/kritz".

Blizzard spewing nonsense again. I mentioned all this either in source or to people over steam chat and I wasn't playing. Comms needed work? Well gee i wonder who brought up cimms a few pages ago?

Complaining? Were you even watching the same match? I also said Kirsten was panicking and she even confirms it here. Try again BlizZARD.

I'm glad you realize your sentry spot placement needed work, fro. At least you took something away. You also needed to get on sixghosts case to protect you. Other team sure as fuck had a Pyro protecting and air blasting them.

Edit: points don't matter in a Highlander. Try again, Blizzard.

DogWelder

Cause they didn't protect Med, which others have already echoed here.
Cause Pyro wasn't protecting engie or Med.
Cause Fallen was calling but nobody listened anyways.
There were at least three times their kritz caught the team by surprise.
Cause you don't know what you're talking about.

And I was only speccing Kirsten so anything I was complaining about she saw and didn't think there was a problem with but god damn did the team leave her out to dry...well...cept for that one part she tried to attack the entire team herself.
:p

And dougie you playing too much. Gotta take a break ya nub.
I know, can't believe I'm gettin' frustrated at video games. Time to go fishin'.

By all means learn from mistakes that were made and whatever, but some of y'all are taken this too seriously.

But kuro takes everything too seriously.

Blizzard

Banned
It is ridiculously easy to get points as a medic, and insanely difficult to get them playing as a babysitter/support Pyro.
Sure, but try playing on the GAF server some time and note if there are ever really low-score medics -- having a high score is at least a decent thing, and some people are terrible at it. If a medic gets sniped constantly, their score will be low.

Think in comparison with the other team. There were rough equivalences across the board.

Medics on both teams were 20-ish points above the second place person, if I recall correctly. My memory is terrible, but I feel like second place GAF was spy, then demo. Second and third place on the other team were similar, but with more points compared to their GAF counterpart, and spy/demo reversed. The overall class ordering was similar down the scoreboard, as you might expect. As you point out, it's hard to get points from support pyro unless you're extinguishing lots of people (not happening in highlander). So, the pyro would be low on the scoreboard on both teams.

If I recall, there were 2-3 GAF players who had higher scores than their equivalent classes. I think it was engineer, soldier, and maybe heavy.

Don't forget that you probably get points from cart defenses (maybe?), captures, and assists, not just kills.

I just think the number/statistical comparisons are interesting, but I'm an engineer/nerd so there you go. I'm not criticizing people and saying OMG GET A HIGHER SCORE or anything, so no worries. :)

Blizzard

Banned
Beef is correct, and when I PM'd him he reminded me of something I guess I forgot. In the very first GAF inhouse highlander, I criticized Beef's engineer play. I don't think we had a teleporter on badwater, and I asked why he did not have more points. I was probably too mean about it, and I apologize for that and for being hypocritical in my recent post about getting points.

AcciDante

To continue being overly excited for getting fios:
2018086279.png

I'm gonna shoot even more heads now!

DogWelder

This is why I haven't participated in competitive gaming since the old CS 1.6 days.
I ain't care 'bout our comp results, actually. Just hope everyone is having fun and not getting too down on themselves. I only did this 'cause I knew the rest of y'all would have been too lazy to do anything yerselves! And fallen, I ain't leader! Ask Proven if you want some ice cream.

Alienups

34617 "name" "Goldfish"
34618 "prefab""WHAT_IS_THIS_WHAT_IS_HAPPENING"
34619 "item_name""#TF_Item_Goldfish"
34620 "item_type_name""#TF_Item_Goldfish_Type"
34621 "item_description""#TF_Item_Goldfish_Desc"
34622 "image_inventory""backpack/crafting/goldfish"
34623 "mouse_pressed_sound""ui/item_paper_pickup.wav"
34624 "drop_sound" "ui/item_paper_pickup.wav"

uhm

Proven

What I took from the last few pages

thefro:

-Moving your sentry during terrible comms always ends with a bad day. Sorry that it happened to you.

-3x is the fastest the cart moves at. And you meant the Pain Train, not the Equalizer.

-If you switch wrenches for any reason, all your buildings blow up. There's no way around it, unfortunately.​

Accidante:

-I need to steal your internet.​

Fallengorn:

-Kuro is hoarding all the ice cream.​

Blizzard:

-On a proper comp team, 6s or highlander, the Medic is usually the highest scoring class. If any class scores higher or comparable than the Medic, then either the Medic is doing terrible or that person is going on a one man monster roll and dominating everybody on the other team.

-Engineers tend to score low, especially on attack/defense maps. If they're not on the bottom three of their team, then either the other team is terrible and keeps failing at pushing past a sentry, or their own team is terrible and you're getting a ton of points from respawns and teleports.

-Everyone else tends to score based on how well they're killing, with caveats given to the team's strategy and map situation. This is why Pyro and Scout tend to score low on Attack/Defense maps, since they have a hard time killing and are then often used for defensive or utility reasons, like sentry babysitting, spy checking, and bonk usage. A Pyro can still score high if they're the target of most of the heals and ubers instead of the Heavy or Demo, and a Scout can still score high if it's a map like Upward, which we'll be playing later this season.​

Anyway, for now let's focus on the next map.

...wtf is ctf_vitalism? I've never played on it before. And it's on beta version 2?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
What I took from the last few pages

thefro:

-Moving your sentry during terrible comms always ends with a bad day. Sorry that it happened to you.

-3x is the fastest the cart moves at. And you meant the Pain Train, not the Equalizer.

-If you switch wrenches for any reason, all your buildings blow up. There's no way around it, unfortunately.

Accidante:

-I need to steal your internet.

Fallengorn:

-Kuro is hoarding all the ice cream.

Blizzard:

-On a proper comp team, 6s or highlander, the Medic is usually the highest scoring class. If any class scores higher or comparable than the Medic, then either the Medic is doing terrible or that person is going on a one man monster roll and dominating everybody on the other team.

-Engineers tend to score low, especially on attack/defense maps. If they're not on the bottom three of their team, then either the other team is terrible and keeps failing at pushing past a sentry, or their own team is terrible and you're getting a ton of points from respawns and teleports.

-Everyone else tends to score based on how well they're killing, with caveats given to the team's strategy and map situation. This is why Pyro and Scout tend to score low on Attack/Defense maps, since they have a hard time killing and are then often used for defensive or utility reasons, like sentry babysitting, spy checking, and bonk usage. A Pyro can still score high if they're the target of most of the heals and ubers instead of the Heavy or Demo, and a Scout can still score high if it's a map like Upward, which we'll be playing later this season.

Anyway, for now let's focus on the next map.

...wtf is ctf_vitalism? I've never played on it before. And it's on beta version 2?

1. bad sentry spot was bad. but knows better now
2. yeah...i thought he was referring to pain train...and no, they generally shouldn't use it
3. yup
4. fuckin accidante and his time warping internet
5. hells yeah! using it all to make doug's igloo.
6. but i thought points mattered in highlander?! D:

AcciDante

Accidante are you rich D:

I'm crazy jealous.

Fios just moved into our area and has been doing crazy deals here. We got the highest internet speeds and more cable channels AND a phone line for less than what we were paying for mediocre speeds and worse cable.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Maybe it's summer sale shenanigans.

We played it last night. The cap points are in the middle and are pretty small. You can block someone from entering it.

AcciDante

We played it once last night and it didn't seem awful, but it did seem like coordination and some sort of strategy would be required to get anything done on it...so....yeah.

Proven

So I did some digging. The guy that made vitalism talks about his hopes for the map here: http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=11635

There are no videos on youtube that I could find of vitalism. This irks me. But in that description he talks about another map he made with a similar wish in his mind, named ctf_atrophy.

I think I heard the name before, so I do a quick youtube search again. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwJI6Sv7brg

I've never seen that map before either. This is going to be a terrible week.

Blizzard

Banned
The main thing that confused the crap out of me on vitalism was trying to find where the middle of the map is, since I kept getting lost after finding the intel and I have a tiny brain. The capture point isn't just in the middle of the map, it's in the middle of the middle.

Also, I think someone said I was spawncamping after I chased a heavy and medic pair into one wall of the intel room? I'm not sure if there is a spawn door that opens into or next to the intel room, but I guess it's close?

Lastly, I never witnessed it, but judging by the sound effects the intel kept resetting itself after 10 seconds or so. It sounded way shorter than the official CTF map reset time.

Top Bottom