• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT4| Official Halo Thread of Polearms and High Fashion

Blizzard

Banned
I almost want to sourceTV watch it so I can see what happens with wartimedemo on barnblitz. That map seems like it's made for demoman.

Proven

Alright UGC team. Second match today! It's on Barnblitz! Yeef has graciously allowed us to use the server. Yeef is just awesome in general.

And, I'm not playing. Show up by 8:30 for mic check, and by 9:00 for warmup. Match time is 9:30, so let's not be late for our first Home game. All times EST, well technically EDT.

I'll be on Steam chat but I'm assuming that thefro should be available so I'll be doing everything by phone. Good luck.

Edit: I forgot to hit post an hour ago. Jeez.

Alienups

If you guys win i'll give out a pile of gifts tomorrow evening

i have to pick up a paysafecard to buy some stupid game that comes with hats anyway

Remember the plan guys; our medic keeps me (the sniper) overhealed and Kritzkrieg'd AT ALL TIMES. Then, we keep a pyro and heavy near me for protection. Leave the rest up to my Machina and we move as a small mobile tank.

Roster for tonight:

Scout: SteveWinwood
Soldier: fallengorn
Demoman: wartime**
Heavy: me
Medic: Kirsten
Pyro: sixghost
Engineer: thefro**
Sniper: Soka
Spy: SolidSnake

**Have not confirmed their ability to make tonight's match directly to me. Backups for those positions, be ready in case. Be in the server by 9:20 PM. Password will be godwelder. Source TV is enabled for those who want to watch.

Good luck sixghost. Bring honor to Pyro.

Oreoleo

Remember the plan guys; our medic keeps me (the sniper) overhealed and Kritzkrieg'd AT ALL TIMES. Then, we keep a pyro and heavy near me for protection. Leave the rest up to my Machina and we move as a small mobile tank.

machina is banned in ugc, fyi

maybe that was part of the joke

Kirsten

Everyone else, good luck! If you can build a big wrangled sentry and Kirsten is awesome on barnblitz like the other day with uber, you should be good.

If we lose it will totally be on you for jinxing me. Thanks.

Alright UGC team. Second match today! It's on Barnblitz! Yeef has graciously allowed us to use the server. Yeef is just awesome in general.

And, I'm not playing. Show up by 8:30 for mic check, and by 9:00 for warmup. Match time is 9:30, so let's not be late for our first Home game. All times EST, well technically EDT.

I'll be on Steam chat but I'm assuming that thefro should be available so I'll be doing everything by phone. Good luck.

Edit: I forgot to hit post an hour ago. Jeez.

Seriously...an hour before? Ooookay, I'll think of some conversation topics now to keep you boys entertained for an hour while we wait for the match to start.

I don't heal those that DISLIKE me, Soka :p

Seriously...an hour before? Ooookay, I'll think of some conversation topics now to keep you boys entertained for an hour while we wait for the match to start.

I don't heal those that DISLIKE me, Soka :p

I recommend more Canadian history lessons.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Do you think I should use the flaregun or detonator on defense instead of shotgun? I wasn't doing so well with the shotgun in the scrimmage we did.
Flare imo. Really helpful vs Snipers and good mid range damage for low risk.

Pyro is basically support in organized play (I think). Spy check and airblast.

*You can get Uber'd and push forward too I guess.

Blizzard

Banned
Psh, just don't stress out.

Last time we tried to get there half an hour before and we were 15 minutes late before the last person showed up, so the time is apparently really necessary.

Sixghost, I like the idea of the flaregun. When I'm sniper, it takes out literally 50% of the health bar if I recall correctly, unless the sniper extinguishes himself or runs away, so it's a very good distraction for weak classes. Spychecking is presumably super important, though.

Through 30 long years of playing medic and becoming a pro, I have learned the One Truth of medic, which is that if you ever attempt to heal/uber/kritz a soldier, they will immediately rocket jump onto a nearby building and leave you to die.

Either that, or they equip the Equalizer and laugh at you.

Yeef

I'm confused.

The whitelist says these are banned:
// Banned items:
// The Enforcer
// The Pomson 600
// The Phlogistinator
// The Holiday Punch
// The Attendant
// The Milkman
// The Grenadier's Softcap
// The Familiar Fez
// Ol' Snaggletooth
// The Jingle Belt
// The Bootie Time
// Bombinomicon

But then all of the weapons that are supposed to be banned are set to enabled. I'm tempted to just edit it so that it's the way it should be, but I don't want you guys to lose on a technicality.

Do you think I should use the flaregun or detonator on defense instead of shotgun? I wasn't doing so well with the shotgun in the scrimmage we did.

I'd say Flaregun for all of the points except the last one. Obviously protect the sentry from projectiles and Spies for all of defense. On the last point, it might be advisable to switch to Detonator. You can jump into the locker room (area above the fence) and sweep it out if you need to. Shotgun for the last point is also a good choice.

On offense, stay close to Medic. Defend him and watch his back constantly. If a Spy is coming at a teammate and you don't have much time, airblast the fucker. That's the Pyro's best weapon for HL.

I know we are both aggressive Pyros so adjusting to support-only can be rough. If you protect the Medic and Engineer, that's the best you can do.

Yeef

I'm pretty sure those items should be disabled -- is there in any harm in disabling them on the server temporarily?
It's trivial to disable them. That's not the point though. The point is that the whitelist that UCG forces servers to use specifically enables them, which seems weird. I don't want to edit the file and have someone call shenanigans or something.

[EDIT] Keep in mind: when you detonate a detonator shot manually it destroys stickies that it hits. If you can get the hang of it, along with swapping to the degreaser to reflect, it makes you the Sentry Champion.

Blizzard

Banned
I'd say Flaregun for all of the points except the last one. Obviously protect the sentry from projectiles and Spies for all of defense. On the last point, it might be advisable to switch to Detonator. You can jump into the locker room (area above the fence) and sweep it out if you need to. Shotgun for the last point is also a good choice.
How do you jump into the locker room? From the stairs?

thefro

I know we are both aggressive Pyros so adjusting to support-only can be rough. If you protect the Medic and Engineer, that's the best you can do.

I think there's still room to be aggressive at times, but you have to be close enough that you can still get back to help the medic/engy when they need it. How far away you can roam is going to depend on who's down on the other team, the respawn time, etc.

How do you jump into the locker room? From the stairs?

Yeah. Took me a couple tries but it's definitely possible. Sometimes the flare goes between the stairs.

iT3BqwOhBR3R2.gif

I think there's still room to be aggressive at times, but you have to be close enough that you can still get back to help the medic/engy when they need it. How far away you can roam is going to depend on who's down on the other team, the respawn time, etc.

I agree but Pyros should never get too detached. Better to play more reserved than dying. That was one of my problems last week, running off on my own. Sure you won't get many points while being a support Pyro but it's the best for the team.

Yeah. Took me a couple tries but it's definitely possible. Sometimes the flare goes between the stairs.

iT3BqwOhBR3R2.gif

I agree but Pyros should never get too detached. Better to play more reserved than dying. That was one of my problems last week, running off on my own. Sure you won't get many points while being a support Pyro but it's the best for the team.

Any class can actually make that jump by doing this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Clih-e0VMOs

I was trying to show some people after the scrim we had when we were sitting around waiting for the other team to decide what they were going to do. It just takes a bit of practice to get it down.

Also, does any one know if wartime is going to around to play? I haven't heard a word from or about him yet.

EDIT: Aren't there rules for the number of people allowed to watch the SourceTV? Something like 2 per team? I only say that because Dog gave out the server password on the forum already. I don't know if I'll sit by in the mumble or watch the stream. Possibly both.

thefro

EDIT: Aren't there rules for the number of people allowed to watch the SourceTV? Something like 2 per team? I only say that because Dog gave out the server password on the forum already. I don't know if I'll sit by in the mumble or watch the stream. Possibly both.

There have to be 3 spots min (2 for away team and 1 home team), but there's no set max limit by UGC.

Alienups

Ha, well now the knowledge can be put into good use by someone who doesn't play a jump class all the time!

Or people like me who just suck at rocketjumping

I was so relieved you knew what i wanted to do when i popped that kritz in setup time on barnblitz yesterday btw.

I did it a couple of days ago with a demo i didn't know and he went all 'OMFG YOU FUCKING NOOB WHAT ARE YOU DOING' on voice.

smh

There have to be 3 spots min (2 for away team and 1 home team), but there's no set max limit by UGC.

Oh, okay, cool. You da bes. A fair warning for anyone who watches though. The stream is typically 5 minutes behind so you never actually get to see the end.

I was so relieved you knew what i wanted to do when i popped that kritz in setup time on barnblitz yesterday btw.

I did it a couple of days ago with a demo i didn't know and he went all 'OMFG YOU FUCKING NOOB WHAT ARE YOU DOING' on voice.

smh

Haha, yeah, I certainly wasn't expecting it but luckily it didn't take my tiny brain too long to figure out what you were trying to do. Surprise kritz is as good as any kritz, so long as my weapons are reloaded, I say. I actually think that killed Java when he had full uber too.

Yeef

Oh, okay, cool. You da bes. A fair warning for anyone who watches though. The stream is typically 5 minutes behind so you never actually get to see the end.
It's 2 minutes behind. And the map won't change until the match finishes for SourceTV viewers, unless some admin manually changes it.

*cough*

DogWelder

Det is typically the secondary of choice for high level pyro play. Flare's extra dmg is nice, but det gives you way more maneuverability which is super important in comp play. It also lets you destroy stickies and spy check better. Pyro's job in HL is usually to babysit the medic or on some maps to babysit the engie. If you're not letting the spy destroy sentries or get med picks, not letting sollys or demos bomb the med, and are pushing back ubers you are doing your job, even if you bottom frag. Just make sure the med flashes you when they uber in.

AcciDante

If you're not playing tonight but join the mumble, be sure to mute your mic when the game starts!

I'm gonna take my shirt off and paint KSRF on my chest when I watch.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

smh

Kind of a scrub move to be honest. You only get to detonate it once and you may get one extra kill out of it. Really, just hang onto it next time. There's not much benefit to fill the map with kritz unless you spread them out over the opening, let them come out, hit it, kill a lot, THEN use a second kritz to wipe out the rest.

Or, they can just uber out and kill your demo and it was a waste.

Top Bottom