• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT4| Official Halo Thread of Polearms and High Fashion

Blizzard

Banned
LOL, oh god this great. "Sixghost is.... getting a lot of work done."

Fuck I should have signed up. "There... appears to be a soldier... running around in circles on the point... whipping people?"
I liked some of the SourceTV chat too:

I'm learning so much

Like wut

Like things

AcciDante

Looking around cp_standin, it seems like A and B are the only good points for sniper. I have a clear view of the point and across the whole area on A, and for B, I can see into the point, but it's riskier for me because I have to be pretty close. I can see decently across the area in C, but I have to get real close to get a shot at the point.

From this one observation, I'm thinking we can either roll up on A right away, and I can try to keep bad dudes off the point there while you all try to move to B. I could also try to keep dudes off B while you guys take A, but that's a lot harder for me.

Food for thought.

Proven

It freed the rest of the team up to hold middle or run offense 95% of the time, which was key. You'd need at least 2 people to hold the intel otherwise.

I know Proven said there's no good sentry spots on the map, but the couple I was running are deceivingly good. The big key is that sentry location forces the other team to push in from the bottom and likely back out from the bottom as well, due to some of the map quirks. And that's much slower than the middle.

I don't know... I can't help but feel like they only tried to go in and out from bottom because we held the barn so much... But I trust your judgement and I see where you saw the synergy. If we're constantly pushing ubers and kritz from barn, then they're going to have to fan out across the sides of the map, and the sentry spots will cause problems as they're attacking from the bottom level instead of the top.

My main idea was to hold the barn to try and make them grab the intel from bottom, and then use a mini sentry and someone jumping out of the barn window to stop them from making the cap. Then just depend on the 5 second reset time to frustrate them.

Looking around cp_standin, it seems like A and B are the only good points for sniper. I have a clear view of the point and across the whole area on A, and for B, I can see into the point, but it's riskier for me because I have to be pretty close. I can see decently across the area in C, but I have to get real close to get a shot at the point.

From this one observation, I'm thinking we can either roll up on A right away, and I can try to keep bad dudes off the point there while you all try to move to B. I could also try to keep dudes off B while you guys take A, but that's a lot harder for me.

Food for thought.

Noted. I'm still a little against stacking one point at the beginning if only because of our DM ability. If the other team caps two points while we stack the one, we need to rush before they finish capping one of those other two, or we absolutely have to win the next team fight or two in order to not immediately lose the round.

Blizzard

Banned
From the scrim before on vitalism, mini sentries seemed nearly useless, but a level 3 (occasionally wrangled to prevent direct hit kills or whatnot) sentry in the intel room seemed very strong on the other team. I think we saw a few level 3 sentries in the capture area as well, but those were easier to take out. I'm glad the fro used the placement he did.

Proven

From the scrim before on vitalism, mini sentries seemed nearly useless, but a level 3 (occasionally wrangled to prevent direct hit kills or whatnot) sentry in the intel room seemed very strong on the other team. I think we saw a few level 3 sentries in the capture area as well, but those were easier to take out. I'm glad the fro used the placement he did.

Seemed is the operative word. Whenever I ran minis on that map I was able to dominate their Demoman (if he focused on jumping around) and Scout, which really screwed up their capping power and helped cover our flanks from all but the Sniper and Spy. I got really good at recycling metal on that map too. There's never a medium ammo box too far away, and they're always tucked away in places that provide you cover anyway. The more you run around the map, the smaller it feels. With four across the middle of the map in total, all of them next to health packs, and then the dropped weapons from the people I killed, I was rolling in business.

Oh well, I shouldn't complain. You guys got the win and made it a shut out. Your plan worked, and it worked well.

Blizzard

Banned
Seemed is the operative word. Whenever I ran minis on that map I was able to dominate their Demoman (if he focused on jumping around) and Scout, which really screwed up their capping power and helped cover our flanks from all but the Sniper and Spy. I got really good at recycling metal on that map too. There's never a medium ammo box too far away, and they're always tucked away in places that provide you cover anyway. The more you run around the map, the smaller it feels. With four across the middle of the map in total, all of them next to health packs, and then the dropped weapons from the people I killed, I was rolling in business.

Oh well, I shouldn't complain. You guys got the win and made it a shut out. Your plan worked, and it worked well.
Apparently I was totally screwing up on the ammo as well. I was only aware of ammo in four places: Left hut, right hut, front stairs, back stairs. In addition I thought the stairs ammo and health (opposite sides from each other) were small. I kept running out of ammo in the top of the capture area, and the point itself only has small health and no ammo, so I kept running to the hut to refill ammo. In retrospect, running back down the stairs and getting that ammo to half-refill would have probably been optimal.

So I have 4 refined, 1 reclaimed, and 1 scrap that has been sitting in my inventory since forever. I don't really care about hats, so I probably won't be spending it. Anyone want it?

Forkball

So I have 4 refined, 1 reclaimed, and 1 scrap that has been sitting in my inventory since forever. I don't really care about hats, so I probably won't be spending it. Anyone want it?

I'll take it if you're just giving it away.

Still no day 2 update. Day one was posted around 11:30 AM EST yesterday, so knowing Valve, today's blog post will be about 9 PM EST. Because why not.

AcciDante

Food for thought.
Pangloss and I just played a match on standin and B is definitely the key. Rolling up on B while I sniped A at the start seemed to work alright for us.

thefro

I don't know... I can't help but feel like they only tried to go in and out from bottom because we held the barn so much... But I trust your judgement and I see where you saw the synergy. If we're constantly pushing ubers and kritz from barn, then they're going to have to fan out across the sides of the map, and the sentry spots will cause problems as they're attacking from the bottom level instead of the top.

The sentry spots I used are actually stronger against the people dropping down from up to (the barn) entrance than the sides. I tried in a few lobbies and on the GAF server and it was very tough for the other team to push from up there. That also covers a Scout using Bonk to get through the middle or a Spy/Scout sneaking up the stairs without going directly through the barn, which you're still vulnerable to even if you hold the middle.

If you push in through the side, there's basically only one of 3 things that can happen and they all involve having to kill both me & the Level 3 and the whole rest of the team.

I did run Gunslinger before the match and I can see where that would work really well (I was points-leader for a while during the pre-match scrimmaging). As I said, I wanted to play it safe and take responsibility for defending the intel.

AcciDante

q25Mg.gif

Blizzard

Banned
Predictions:

Pyro gets a new flaregun, demoman gets a new sword, soldier gets a new shotgun, a useless buff banner replacement, and three more rocket launchers.

Sianos

So the Soldier doesn't have a home. That can only mean...

This was shown in the F2P trailer last year.

I can't find that Pyro/Engy/Soldier picture of the Pyro and Engy starving.

The can at the bottom is a misc from the set...

SOLDIER UPDATE CONFIRMED FOR REALISES

Kade

In that picture, it looks like the soldier is using the skull as a bong and he's about to light it up and take a hit.

Top Bottom