• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT4| Official Halo Thread of Polearms and High Fashion

AcciDante

What is upscoping? No upscoping on that new gun? Can't wait to play with all these!

Those little sniper glasses look hot. I demand a third misc slot!

Forkball

We've also only got one more day until Pyromania goes live, exploding into a fireball of new item sets, a new game mode, and of course, Meet the Pyro.
Looks like no big surprises for tomorrow. RIP MVM mode, you were too sweet for this world.

The new sniper rifle sounds amazing, but I'm not sure about the scout stuff. Also the soldier only got one weapon, an all time low!

Blizzard

Banned
What is upscoping? No recoil maybe?

For the SMG, I wonder if a sniper rifle kill triggers it, or only an SMG kill?

The scout pistol sounds crazy -- when do scouts ever get hit by pyros, anyway? They teleport so fast that the fire particles don't even come close to them, presumably, so it sounds like a huge scout boost if it's still active when you have the scattergun out.

Proven

A flare like the detonator but it automatically detonates. If the radius is big enough then it would make a useful long range tool. The strength of the knockback will decide whether or not it's a good retreat tool.

But the lack of crits or mini-crits on hits (probably because of the auto-detonation), makes it feel far less useful. The weapon will live and die based on the uses it's knockback opens up, and I just don't see many.

Oh wait, it probably knocks back ubered enemies.

Blizzard

Banned
Don't forget that the detonator was awesome for jumping in the beta, and then became almost completely useless with a tiny jump when they added it in the main game.

I expect it to have invisible particles like the detonator, and such a small radius that it's ineffective. Knockback will be equivalent to the FaN.

etc. etc. etc. :p

I am not sure I like this heroic Pyro pose...
The one at the bottom looks cheesy, thus Meet the Pyro is confirmed terrible etc. etc. However, I like the creepy pyro eyes at the top of the screen.

Proven

What people aren't realizing with the Scout shotgun is that it starts you at less speed than a Pyro, before it starts boosting you to double Scout speed.

The pistol, however, looks like an interesting weapon. And you can combine it with the Force-A-Nature and the Atomizer.

Yeef

After re-reading the sniper rifle's stats, this is how I think it works:

• Meter builds on kills and assists.
  • Once the meter is full, if you scope in, it activates "Focus" once you fire.
  • While in focus, the meter drains over time (like the bugles), but you don't unscope between shots and your shots charge 25% faster.

Sounds like it could be great.

Sianos

Hope the new rocket launcher can take out (unwrangled) level 3's in one hit. :3

Force those Engies to run Short Circuit!

Proven

Hope the new rocket launcher can take out (unwrangled) level 3's in one hit. :3

Force those Engies to run Short Circuit!

If all three rockets hit? Yeah, it should do enough up front damage. Again, another nerf to level 3's. Just one more reason to use mini-sentries everywhere.

Forkball

I'm glad we're finally getting new stuff, but this update seems pretty miniscule compared to last year's Uber Update. Last year we got 20 weapons, a new map, seven or eight new hats, Strange weapons, new taunts, Meet the Medic, and it went F2P. This year we have a new map (yeah they call it a mode, but really it sounds like CTF/KOTH hybrid which custom maps have done), six new weapons, Meet the Pyro, and maybe three new hats. I know we still have tomorrow, and maybe they will reveal a Valve-made Pyro set, but after seven months, I expected a ton of stuff considering Valve called the update "massive" and said they had a "bunch of new stuff this week." And after months of teasing, all the way back to secret stuff in Foundry, we still don't have MVM mode. I wouldn't care as much if Valve didn't constantly tease the community about it.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
I'm glad we're finally getting new stuff, but this update seems pretty miniscule compared to last year's Uber Update. Last year we got 20 weapons, a new map, seven or eight new hats, Strange weapons, new taunts, Meet the Medic, and it went F2P. This year we have a new map (yeah they call it a mode, but really it sounds like CTF/KOTH hybrid which custom maps have done), six new weapons, Meet the Pyro, and maybe three new hats. I know we still have tomorrow, and maybe they will reveal a Valve-made Pyro set, but after seven months, I expected a ton of stuff considering Valve called the update "massive" and said they had a "bunch of new stuff this week." And after months of teasing, all the way back to secret stuff in Foundry, we still don't have MVM mode. I wouldn't care as much if Valve didn't constantly tease the community about it.

The Spy in the comic is wearing a suit that is in the Workshop.

The Pyro isn't the only one getting stuff tomorrow.

Blizzard

Banned
Forkball: Constantly claims a new update is coming in a day or two for a year, then complains when it actually comes out. :p

two_bg_01.jpg

is:

odnBe.jpg

great movie.

This was pointed out in the other thread and I thought it was cool.

Yeef

I'm glad we're finally getting new stuff, but this update seems pretty miniscule compared to last year's Uber Update. Last year we got 20 weapons, a new map, seven or eight new hats, Strange weapons, new taunts, Meet the Medic, and it went F2P.
I'd rather get 3 interesting, balanced weapons than 100 broken and/or useless weapons.

I thought they would go the Mechanical way with mechanical parts as misc and the Mann vs Machine raid mode, oh well, OK-ish stuff so far but I would have loved the mecha-stuff with raid mode

Sianos

Since you have to load each rocket one by one and don't have a reserved clip, you need to reload between each shot. If the reload times stay the same it'll take ~3 seconds to load all three. Since you can't store ammo and can't rely on your rocket launcher if you're ambushed it synergizes better with a shotgun than with the boots/banners.

Interestingly balanced, happy to see Valve going quality over quantity.

If you reload past three it EXPLODES and does SOMETHING BAD.

Wonder if switching weapons empties your tube?

You hold Fire to prep up to 3 rockets, then release to let them fly. Charging up the shot past three makes it misfire. It doesn't mean you start empty, or can't reload normally. It would be worse than the Cow Mangler if you started out empty each time.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Yeah just sounds like you run around empty then hold the button to start loading, you can then release after you've loaded 1 or 2, and then you need to release it after 3 or you'll take damage. Seems really dumb actually unless you're hanging back and spamming the cart, but that doesn't sound very fun either.

edit: beef, if you hold to load and release to fire, how do you stop loading? Or are you thinking you always have 1 in the chamber, and then you can hold and release for a 2 or 3 shot?

Yeef

i tested out the scout speed at max boost with the new gun (set host_timescale to 1.73). It's pretty ridiculous. Still, I feel like the new gun will need something. I think an 8 or 10 clip size would serve it well, but we'll see tomorrow.

You hold Fire to prep up to 3 rockets, then release to let them fly. Charging up the shot past three makes it misfire. It doesn't mean you start empty, or can't reload normally. It would be worse than the Cow Mangler if you started out empty each time.
Of course you start out empty. That's the point! You're trading versatility for raw damage.

Or are you thinking you always have 1 in the chamber, and then you can hold and release for a 2 or 3 shot?
That's what I'm thinking it is.
Of course you start out empty. That's the point! You're trading versatility for raw damage.

But unless the extra time for packing in more rockets is quicker than normal, then it's not even that good. You're a sitting duck until you get the three rockets. And if you decide to not use that feature, then you have to keep loading up one rocket just to fire each time, in which case you start to slowly become a liability.

Top Bottom